All member reviews for Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Solve brainteasers to get clues to crack mystery.

Learning(i)

Teen, 15 years old Written bySolar_Ezio June 21, 2011

VERY ADDICTING

CONTENT: 5 years Difficulty: Past 4th grade A very fun game however it may be challenging for kids under 10 Who cares about one murder look at other games they have many more murders. Overall the mind bending puzzle game is very addicting.
Kid, 9 years old June 24, 2010

Its not the action or money its the problems they give you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJim Henderson January 21, 2010

Good game

Uses thinking.
Kid, 12 years old October 4, 2013

Good for older kids not for little kids

Overall, this game would be good for kids 11-12+. Why? Well, its not just because the puzzles are challenging (I was playing this game when I was seven years old and almost beat the game). But its mostly because of the fear level stuff. It's pretty graphic--not gore or anything or something that's not for kids but just really creepy, eery, scary. Like I said I played this when I was seven but I stopped because when Don Palo took off his costume of Officer Chemly that scared the skin off me. It's pretty graphic; the mask falling the the floor, those huge teeth, sharp hairstyle, and evil expression's enough to keep a little kid up for days. Overall, it's an AWESOME game for older kids but not little kids (did you SEE the example image of Bruno, with that cloak and creepy smile?). Oh, and SPOILER ALERT, I thought it was sooo sweet that Layton adopted Flora I pratically burst down in tears playing it.
Kid, 9 years old May 30, 2013

Professor Layton & the Curious Village

I play this game. It is fun but in a part of the game somebody gets kidnapped in the middle of the night. Some kids may be scared and have nightmares, others may be like "Meh, it's fiction."
Teen, 16 years old Written bySapphire0107 March 19, 2013

Teen, 16 years old Written byAlreadyTaken January 24, 2013

12+? Really?

12+ for difficulty? Really? I beathalf this game as an 11 year old before losing it for a few years. Curious Village is seriously one of the all-time best games for DS. The only violent content to speak of is in the storyline, and that is very mild. None whatsoever in gameplay
Kid, 10 years old June 22, 2012

Yeah!!!

It's so fun! And addictive! I started playing it when I was in the second grade!
Teen, 13 years old Written bystopngo98 November 6, 2011

There are difficult puzzles, it's a good story, but the mystery is too easy.

This is a great game, but I solved the mysteries before Layton did in the story, and I'm only thirteen. The puzzles are really hard, except some are easy. The story is great! Notice: there is absolutely no action in the game, you just walk around and solve puzzles. Some of the videos have action, but you don't control anybody when action is happening. For example, it is a video clip sequence when Layton and Luke are being chased by a ferris wheel, and it is a video clip when Layton reveals to all Inspector Chelmey's secret, etc. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a simple game with so-so animation, an easy mystery, and really hard puzzles. Notice: One guy gets murdered, and a bunch of people get abducted, but if you get far enough in the game you find it isn't really that dark. It's creepy until you solve the "Mystery of the Golden Apple," though.
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2010

This game is very good you try to crack a mystery.Theres fun brainteasers!(Im going to let you in on a secret.This game is a little hard for me so I use some *help*).
Kid, 9 years old November 11, 2010

Content 8+, Difficulty 11+

awsome game! Content 8+ because of reference to abduction and a reference to murder. you also see someone being abducted
Adult Written byGermanSpongebob773 July 27, 2010

PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGE: 94% - CERTIFIED FRESH!

One of the best video games available, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is a smart, yet action-packed, adventure.
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2010

Horrible game

Poor job, very boring, nothing interested me. I finished the game, so what else!?! Too easy, its really disappointing. Some good role models and some not. And I remember there was an explosion when you went into the girl's house I think.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bytkfertig September 18, 2009

Educational, high-quality, and FUN

My kids and I love this game! It is top-notch in all areas. The graphics and videos are excellent. Professor Layton is a "gentleman" and he regularly reminds his young apprentice, Luke, how gentlemen are to behave. The story is well-written and engaging. The puzzles are plentiful, fun, and very challenging. Younger children may become frustrated by their difficulty, but you can use hint coins to get clues. The music is beautiful. In fact, my son was motivated to learn to play the violin by this game! We just bought the sequel and will share my review of that one when I've had a chance to play it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHidden_light96 September 12, 2009

Great game, for 12+

I loved this game!! Can't wait to play the second!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byDOCCON August 9, 2009

The best brainteasers in any video game

This game is very well-made with tons of puzzles and an interesting story of mystery and intrigue that just about anyone can enjoy. A lot of puzzles are the types that you either see it or you don't and/or where thinking outside the box is rewarded. Odds are, if you are using a paper and pencil to keep track of things, you're doing it wrong. Once you find the solution, the puzzle seems easy and you wonder how it took you 15 minutes to figure out and during those 15 minutes you will probably be tempted to look for the answers online, but if you manage to figure it out yourself, you feel a nice sense of accomplishment. Some of the puzzles may be too difficult for some ages, but most of it can be handled all right (those 15 minute ones aren't too common). Also, those with a wi-fi connection can download puzzles that are added weekly. You get a lot of mileage for the cash with more than 130 puzzles and the prospect of downloading more, so if you want to give your brain a challenge, but don't want any more sudoku or crossword games, this is the game for you.
Adult Written byCoffeeTable April 29, 2009

AWsome

I loved this game. It might be a little hard for soem of the younger kids or those that don't think analitically all the time, but if you need any help they have the answers online.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Great game, Lots of fun

I love how cute the animation is on this game, just like Miyazaki's Spirited Away, and the puzzles are really fun. adults, you say the murder is to intense? Well, for some kids it would be. But overall, great game, terrific time spent playing it. I was sad when I was done. P.S there is a code in the manual that lets you see what happened after Flora was saved.

Adult Written byCES April 9, 2008

The puzzles are great. My 9 year old loves them but the "murder" was too intense for her. I played the game and really enjoyed it. I promised her there really was not a murder. I am not sure she will appreciate the way the story ends though. I think 9 is too young but it is great fun for an adult!