Parent reviews for Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Western adventure has very mature themes.

Wondering if Red Dead Redemption 2 is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byMicheal S November 4, 2018

This shouldn’t be an 18 rated game.

First of all I think this game is fantastic, and would be a shame for people 13 and over to miss out on. I pre ordered it for myself as I loved the first one, my son who is 13 found out and was begging me to let him play when it was released but I said no. I said that as I didn’t know how the game was gonna be like but I have now played it so I shall give a review on it. Let’s talk about language first. The language in this game is quite good for an 18 rated game what I mean is that there is swearing every single second. The worst the language gets is a few F words, I have played a lot of the game and haven’t heard the N-word so not sure why common sense put that in their rating. The S-word is said a bit but if your child is over 13 they would have heard it a lot at school and in films anyway. The most frequent word you will hear is b*stard and b*tch but even these don’t occur a lot. Now onto the violence, the violence in this is nothing more than you will see in shooters like Call Of Duty when a person gets shot there will be some blood spray but this would be expected in a game where guns are involved. There is no gore unless the player chooses to do so, for example you can tie someone on train tracks and wait for the train to come and that is gorey bit the only other gore is if you purposely go up to someone and shoot them point blank in the head but if your child doesn’t do this then they won’t see any gore. Sex and nudity is almost not in the game at all although there is a scene with a women on top of a man but it is split second and you don’t have to go there other than this there is none at all. Drinking and smoking is present but if your child is mature it won’t affect them. NOTE: there is a bit of hunting but you don’t have to do it. Overall I think you should let children 13 and over that are mature play. I have let my son play. Hopefully this helped you thanks Micheal
Adult Written byTrusted Parent ... November 9, 2018

Other Reviews Are Over Dramatic!

First off, the other reviewers overly dramatize their reviews. The swearing is there, but it's no more than a PG-13 movie. Even so, you tend not to notice it as you're too busy taking care of your horse, eating, or fending off foes. Next topic is sexual themes. Throughout my whole game play, I only encountered one sexual theme/reference. And, that was a girl requesting to wash me in the bathtub. You are easily able to decline this, and even if you do accept nothing is shown. She is still a fully dressed woman. Overall, this game is incredible and hands down game of the year. I rarely let my 14-year old even watch PG-13 movies, but this game he just has to experience. You can either be a good outlaw, or a bad outlaw, and that choice is up to you. At the end, the story leads you in a way that makes you feel bad if you're a bad outlaw and teaches you to be a good respectable citizen. Again, it's just a fantastic story. If you, or your kid, has the money to purchase this game then I highly recommend it. Thanks for your time, - Trusted Parent Reviews.

Adult Written byJames Lee November 4, 2019

Red Dead Redemption 2 Is a great game that any parent should allow their kid to play!

Red Dead Redemption 2 Is a fabulous game. I, myself have played it for about 45 hours. Recently, my child asked if he could play the game. I said sure. He's only 12 and we played together for 2 hours. He enjoyed it extremely much and asked if I could buy it for him. I said yes because, I've played it for over 45 hours and I am excited to let you know that this game is perfect. The game is rated M, and it is rated this for language, violence, and nudity. I want to let you know that the violence in this game is low to none. When you shoot someone, small puffs of blood come out of the enemy. But, it is not overly graphic. There is no gore, or at least I haven't seen any so far, and language is in there. The language is definitely the biggest factor for rating this game M but, even that is hard to find. The main character curses using the words S**t and B***h once or twice every 15-25 minutes. This is extremely low for a M rated game. Also, the F word is used three times in the entire game so far. These times were only in the story mode/campaign and they were from the Irish. The Irish are not a main part of the story and can be bypassed if wanted. That's it for language. For nudity, there is only one thing: horse genitalia. Horses have these, but they are only found it you are deliberately looking for them, you would have to kill your own horse so that it falls over and then you would have to get a weapon with a scope to see them. They are invisible to the naked eye. That's pretty much it aside from one scene in the entire story where you can go and purchase a deluxe bath for a large portion of money. The deluxe bath has no more gains to it from the regular bath except for a lady, fully clothed, comes in and bathes you. No nudity is shown, not even for a second and only one time does she put her hand deep into the water and bring it up to wash your arm. It looks as if had she might be washing your character's unmentionables but, it was confirmed by the director of the game that she is just getting her hand wet to wash off the mud off your arm. Finally, that's it. I will update this review if I find anything else that is not family-friendly but, right now I can't find anything that isn't. Thanks for spending the time to read this and I would definitely recommend buying this for your child if they are into the old West. Thanks again and have a good day!
Adult Written bylionbro October 26, 2018

For kids 12 and older

This game has blood language but any mature 12 year old should know this language and not be affected. There is partial nudity for like a second in the whole game.

Adult Written byJackson wattson May 13, 2020

New update attends to younger players

I am so glad to say that red dead redemption 2 is coming out with a setting to turn off the very little blood that is shown even before you turn on the setting. Also the cursing is muted. Also this will be available on may 15 2020. Thank you rockstars.

Adult Written byHudon meyer May 13, 2020

So glad this update is coming to the amazing world of red dead redemption 2

I am so glad that Red Dead Redemption 2 is getting a content restriction setting in this beautiful game. Red Dead has become free in the Xbox games pass. And Xbox has a special rule that kids should be able to play all the game on there game pass for maximum profit. Once you load into Red Dead Redemption 2 you pick if you want to play online or story mode, Story mode is a bit more mature but with this update both are child friendly now. Thank you Red Dead for putting this in your amazing game so younger gamers can play this award winning game.So if your kid was begging for this game then you don’t need to be pestered anymore.

Adult Written byWolfeschlegelst... May 13, 2020

SO GLAD THERE IS A CHILDRENS MODE SOON

I am glad there will be a children’s mode released on may 15
Adult Written byJackSchell October 27, 2018

It’s fine

There’s little to no sexual content and the worst it gets is a few f-bombs. This is fine for a 12 year old.
Adult Written byrobby38 October 26, 2018

Too much nudity?

Over the past day I have been playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I played the first one and loved it. I could of done without the sexual themes in it though and it would not of affected me at all. I am aware that there is over 60 hours of gameplay so I do not know everything about the game. When playing the game there is lots of foul language but no more than what you would hear at your average middle school. F- bomb, [email protected], [email protected] I am ok with the language and the violence for my kid as because I know he is mature enough to handle it. I just did not let him play it at first because of the nudity. Unlike the last Red Dead and GTA 5 the sexual content is dialed down quite a bit in this game. The character you play as can not have sex with other characters at all in the game. There is cleavage shown a bit and a males genitals are shown though in a non-sexual way. There are only two scenes with a little engagement with sexual activity. During the storyline you save a woman from being raped but during the other scene you walk in on a man and a woman having sex. I believe that if your child is mature enough for this game and is 12-13 years or older s/he should be aloud to play this game. It is much better than some of Rockstars other masterpieces.
Adult Written byChristian W. September 8, 2020

Fantastic Open World adventure, has gory violence.

I am a professional PEGI reviewer and I gave this game a PEGI 16 age rating(ESRB TEEN equivalent). I loved the complexity and diversity of this game. The first thing I am going to talk about is violence. Violence(believe it or not) is actually not the goal of the game. Most of the gameplay is RDR2 consists of nice activities such as helping people do their daily chores, taking friends to the bar(will talk about drinking and smoking), and buying some nice and fancy clothes. When violence does occur(there is more violence in single player than multiplayer), is standard fare for an M rated game(doesn't mean the violence is low). Gunshots will not emit any blood unless you shoot the legs, hands, or heads. When a headshot or leg shot occurs it can be very brutal. The leg/head can get shot off and gore is visible. This only occurs if you are reckless in the multiplayer and start shooting innocent civilians. Most gunshots emit very little blood though and when from far there is no visible blood. The violence overall is 7/10. Similar violence levels can be found in games like Batman Arkham City, Uncharted series, and Warframe. Strong Language is rarely said. There is little to no language in multiplayer and I only heard around 4 f words in the whole campaign!(the campaign is extremely long). Most of the language used is goddamn and s**t. The language is about 5/10. Video games with a similar level of language is Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and Marvel's Avengers, and Battlefield 1. Sex: you interrupt a couple having sex on accident(may not happen but is not up to you), nothing sensitive is shown. Sex is not present overall. Alcohol is a big issue, characters smoke and get drunk constantly. Alcohol is 6/10. An example of this high level of drinking and smoking would be Batman Arkham Knight. Overall the age rating for me would be(PEGI 16/TEEN). If this game was a movie it would be 12a(America: PG-13). Don't get this game for your 13-year-old if you feel that they are a bit reckless and need to learn the value of human life. Thank you.

Adult Written byTastfulltina October 27, 2018

Great Game

It’s an amazing game and if your kid can handle the language he should be fine if you know what he’s doing. You can make your own choices in this game so your not forced to do anything. Though the campaign only really has language
Adult Written byArthurBoah October 12, 2020

I think kids should be allowed

I think red dead redemption is a lot of fun.there is some gore,drinking,swearing,and sex but if your kid is over 13 they probably know all that.this game is definitely not as bad as gta when it comes to sex scenes there really only one in the bar in the mission a quiet time. Gore is not terrible but it’s very realistic you can shoot peoples limbs of but them on train tracks and stuff but it’s not bad.there’s another scene where a guy comes in on a horse holding his head but you can skip the cutscene.I think red dead is a great game and would recommend it if your 13 or older

Adult Written byA_Adult October 4, 2020
Adult Written byRegularguywholi... September 26, 2020

A really good game

So I would recommend it for 10 and up parents normally know rockstar for adding nudity and most of their games being rated M into a game but Rdr2 does have a little but not too much and it is only in the missions it is not as insane as Gta I think it would be ok for kids to play this and Im saying 10 and up for the guns and violence and they dont say millions of bad words and most of them are just shit and bastard still it is a good game and they dont curse too much so it is an amazing game just dont let your kids play the mission

Adult Written byMikeanderson112 September 11, 2020

Well received game not as inappropriate as people may say

This game does contain occasional swearing and limited nudity while players may do bad things he also helps people that are being hurt,sexually asullted,and victims to racism. Honestly my 14 year old son loves the game because it’s a fun and creative entertaining game. I say if your kid is around the age of 13-15 he will be fine as long as he is matured.

Adult Written byHomeboy Bonejuice September 6, 2020

Howdy cowpoke

Hello, I think that 11+ is a good age to play RDR2, it does have a lot of swears, but n word is only used once it the story, there is good role models (kinda) the good role models would be Arthur, Lenny, Sadie, Charles, John, and Hosea. There are moments around camp where you can hear Ms. Grimshaw call some of the women whores, and Micah is blatantly racist, Micah picks on everyone except Dutch, There is also a mission where you can stumble across two people having sex, but that’s only if you go into that room, in that same mission you have to get drunk. Also Bill is an alcoholic, other than some of the language I think it’s okay.

Adult Written byAnna sutton August 27, 2020

Great

I think this game is fine but it is a bit violent
Would recommend 11 and up is fine but it depend on your child

Adult Written byPeltinPatricia July 12, 2020

It Is Not That bad

It is a great game with positive messages and not too much violence. I recommend this heavily to any kid age 11 and up.

Adult Written bycoolbruh July 10, 2020

as usual, common sense overrates

This is an amazing adventure game! There is some swearing, but it is not frequent. Arthur might not be a good role model, but at least he is trying to repent. The online mode is very fun too, but people can swear in the chat. Great game for tweens!
Adult Written bynovackjm June 4, 2020

Fantastic and Brutal. Gorgeous and Immersive

Red Dead is a powerful story about the end of the old west and the beginning of a new era of industrialization, and civilization. The player character, Arthur Morgan, is a strong and three dimensional character, frequently doing terrible things to protect his family and friends. He has a strong moral compass but does the dirty work too. The game is centered around the life of an outlaw gang which lives by stealing from the rich and powerful.
I'm 18 years old and I am squeamish to violence, but there have been two times I have been rather disturbed by events and things in the game. You can find an eviscerated corpse torn apart and strung below a bridge, left by a serial killer. In one mandatory mission a rival gang decapitates and horribly mutilates a friend of Arthur's. Otherwise the violence is not excessive for the subject matter. However I would not recommend this game to anyone who strongly dislikes gore and younger teens. The game is one of the best I've played because of it's strong story and emotional impact as well as it's fun and immersive gameplay.