Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Western adventure has very mature themes.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bysusanbarnes December 31, 2018

Great and appropriate game

my kid got this game. i was skeptical at first but after watching him play the story mode the whole day, i realized it was not bad. the review says there is a lot of sexual stuff. there really isn’t. it sends great messages. there is some violence, but not too much. there is some swearing but any middle schooler can handle it. they probably hear it every day at school.
Adult Written by1CEYBOI December 29, 2018

i like it its a fun gam

i think i like this gaam its fun i dont think thers any sxual contant a lot of swring togh.
Adult Written byAutomatic19 December 27, 2018

Automatic thinking a great game

I mean this game is the greatest. Probably the greatest out of all the Rockstar games. I played all GTA games and all the Red Dead Redemption games but this one takes the cake. There are very few sex scenes in it and you barely see anything. There might be genetailia but mostly on a horse. They're alot of bad language but it's a Rockstar game, come on and most kids has probably heard em from school. There's also alot of drinking and alchoal included but your kids should know about that I mean itsithe 21st century. There's also blood and gore in this game too but what do you expect in a game where there's guns and it's Western. There's also alot of stuff that your child can learn like to shoot a gun, how to rise a horse and take care of it, or how vicious wild animals are. It's a great game and your kid might learn how to skin an animal or learn how to fish because you can hunt and fish on here too. He or she can also learn how to gain trust in family/friends. This game also has a great story and even better graphics. I even let my 10 year old cousin platit and before the game came out he knew all about that stuff. And he knew how to hunt and fish. Anyways I give this game five stars because it brought me so much joy playing this game and for all the hard work Rockstar put into it. This is Automatic signing off

Adult Written byMiikkkix December 27, 2018

Nice

Adult Written byNugget Man December 26, 2018

Not bad at all

This game is not bad whatsoever. Other people may say it but this is not true. Nudity is essentially 0 unless you happen to walk in this room during one part where all you see is a women's bare back. Horse genitalia is in it but that doesn't matter. Violence isnt bad whatsoever, not much blood or wound marks, plus your child chooses whether or not they want to cause violence and I dont see why they would. No violence equals in game bonuses. Even the game supports not having any violence. Swearing is more minimal than you might expect with mostly just g*dda**it and sh*t. I've played this game quite a bit and heard 1-2 f bombs throughout the whole thing. The game gives you the option to be good or bad and it is much more productive to be good so the M rating is basically just there for what you can do. In most cases, there is no violence at all. There is drinking and tobacco use. It's the wild west, it has to be historically accurate which this game very much is. If you have a 10 year old+ son and dont let him see drinking he wont adapt very well as an adult.

Adult Written bywoozyman123 December 15, 2018

Don't say no until you read this!

Look. I agree with a lot of common sense 18+ ratings, but this is one that just doesn't deserve it. A mature 14 year old can definately play this game! I think even a 13 year old could play too as long as they have supervision. The language is not a big deal. If you listen to middleschoolers on the playground messing around you would be more shocked at their language than the language in this game. As for the nudity, it really isn't bad at all. The nudity consists of a pair of horse testicles, and one scene where you save a women from being assaulted. The combat is what you would expect in a mature game. This would be probably the reason most parents will not let their kids get this game. The truth is if your kids play games like seige or battlefield 1 it's nothing new. The difference is your character actually has consequences for his actions and killing. Your character feels remorse if you do something bad, and you get to choose your own path. You can help people less fortunate in this game and make friends. Each decision opens a new door. It really is a great game. You get to know all your gang mates, and you get to do nice things for them and play games. For all the parents who are worried about how you rob banks in this game think about this. It is a dang Western video game! Of course you are going to be looting and causing some mischief. A positive thing to come out of playing this is you learn about how it was back then in simpler times. You learn some history, and the amazing graphics make you feel like your really in the game. Of course in combat scenarios there really is not too much gore. Unlike GTA there is no guts unrealistically flying out of people if you push them over. Just maybe a little red like all other shooter games. I encourage you parents to get your kids this for christmas. They would be missing out on a great game that teaches you that all actions have consequences. Thanks for reading.
Adult Written bycool mom 29 December 13, 2018

inappropriate

this game had blood and and nudity in it and my 20 year old slept in my room for the next 3 months

Adult Written byhendrixc1 December 6, 2018

Let me talk

4 may sound low but this game is e if you want it to be

Adult Written byfinnwilliams November 18, 2018

Mild Gore with Mature Themes

Red Dead Redemption 2 is an incredible game. The graphics are amazing, and the storyline is gripping and very enjoyable. However, this game does include mature aspects. I’ll run over some of the things to look out for. Drugs: In certain locations there are dedicated Drug stores in which players can buy Horse stimulants, Human healing items and even Cocaine gum and tobacco. Players can also be seen smoking from cigars. However I don’t feel like this is a problem, as the player isn’t seen snorting cocaine for example. Gore/Violence: It’s the Wild West! Expect blood splattering from faces, knives being stabbed into necks and humans found hanging from trees. Heads can be exploded when using certain guns and their headless body can then be seen on the floor. Arrows penetrating skulls, and screaming as a human is mauled to death by a wolf. Sometimes, a slow motion replay is played in which you see the bullet hitting somebody showing blood splattering. Aswell as guns and bows and arrows. An array of melee weapons can be used, like hatchets and knives. You can also hold people at gun point, and proceed to threaten them and/or beat them, choke them or shoot them. You can rob stores, trains, civilians and houses. Upon committing crimes, if seen you can be wanted by Lawman and Bounty Hounters. These men will come in horses, rifle in hand so it can be stressful to escape or fight back. Language: Uncommon use of the F word, but a very common use of Bastard and Son of a bitch. Shit is used at times. But nothing more than what a 12 year old has heard already. Nudity: Some references to Sex and prostitution. In one scene, you are knocked out and raped. You do not see or hear this, but upon waking up from being knocked out you work slightly funny suggesting something along these lines has happened. This scene is avoidable.. Animal penis can be seen. But go to a bull field and look in real life, it’s nothing unusual. Gambling: You can play Poker and Dominoes with in game currency on the line. This can be avoidable and is necessary. Drugs: 5/10 Violence/Gore: 9/10 Language: 6/10 Nudity: 3/10 Gambling: 2/10 I recommend this game for people 16 and over. As at the end of the day it is animated. Although very realised as long as you can distinguish real between fake you should be fine. However regardless of this, I do NOT reccomend this for anybody younger. The game is stressing, very realistic and all in all not pleasant when engaging in gory situations. All this aside, one of the best games ever and will engage you completely.

Adult Written bycormacwwwright November 18, 2018
Adult Written byMarTube October 29, 2018

Not that bad at all

This game is a complete masterpiece, there is some cowboy swear like shit. I am actually impressed as how very little sex there is compared to other rockstar games. You can also use drugs and alcohol. There is violence, but it's nothing a normal 13 year old can't handle. Then the main character, Arthur Morgan, often feels bad after commiting dishonorable actions, which is a good role model. Great Game, not that bad.

Adult Written byRickGrimes March 21, 2019

Love It This Game Was So Masterpiece And Esstential Of The The Best Game Ever

Adult Written byfoxfilmsp March 17, 2019

Must be mature

For starters, this game is amazing. The graphics are almost perfect and you have over 60 hours of complete gameplay. I think your child must be around 13 years old to play the game due to a few factors such as language, nudity, and violence. As for language, there are a lot of cuss words, but we are also talking about a WESTERN GAME. Of course there are going to be cuss words. So far the only words I’ve heard are a few f-bombs, s-word and b*tch and b*stard are used more often. In the game there are also a couple of drug references such as tobacco and alcohol, but once again, it is a western game that takes place in the 1800’s that ANY mature child can handle well. Nudity, there IS NOT a lot of. There is one scene where a woman is on top of a man, but that only appears for one second in the game. There is another scene where a woman washes your character in a bathtub for money, but there is no nudity it is all covered by bubbles. In a saloon, women ask if you character “wants to have a good time” but you have the option to decline. Once again, someone who is of a mature age can easily handle situations like this and there is no NUDITY but only sexual references. As for violence, there is a lot and cannot be avoided because it is something you need in order to get the most out of your game. Gore isn’t too bad. When you shoot a character, all there is is a smile blood splash and after they die, there is usually a small puddle of blood. When hunting, there is an option to skin your animal you’ve killed for money, and that’s usually the worst it gets as for violence and gore. Overall, just make sure your child is a mature age and can handle situations that I’ve listed.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTyler19698 March 2, 2019

Mature kids 13 and over

When I say 13+, I am talking about the teens that are very mature. They should act older than they are. With that out of the way, this game is my favorite game of all time. Best graphics ever in a game. Best single player ever in a game. It’s not worth the fight against your kids.

Adult Written byBlackHawk69 March 1, 2019

Seriously, it’s THAT good!

This game gets an undeserving amount of medium ratings, but let me tell you right now... what Rockstar hs created right jere is a masterpiece. I’m drunk rn at 2.30 AM typing this, because someone has to say it. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t buy this game... Okay, maybe one reason; if you don’t got time to enjoy the true experience, don’t buy it, but if you do... oh boy. This game is like something pulled out of a dream of mine. Every attention to detail is so apparent, but yet so hard to see. It’s like they’ve really put their souls into this game, and it shows. It had life, story, contrast, debth.. everything. All in all, 10/10. I’d pay 200 dollars for this game if I had to.. and that should tell you alot. Kudos to my brothers at Rockstar games. You did it again! I’m out

Adult Written bySharkboi69 February 26, 2019

Amazing....

This is not a game, its an experience. I honestly do not know how God of War won Game of The Year over RDR2. This game has some of the best storylines, gameplay, characters, and immersion that I have seen in a long time.

Adult Written byCider1234 February 24, 2019

Amazing

A great story better then most movies and tv shows. You play as Arthur Morgan a outlaw in the dying west with a group of other intriguing characters behind him in Dutch’s gang. The story just doing all the basic missions are over 60 at least hours of gameplay. Anyone who played the first game will likely know the ending but it is a fun ride and well worth the money. The message is also good even if it’s a little corroded with how you choose to play the game.there is about five seconds of total nudity but it can be avoided if you don’t go to any of it the rooms when your drunk with Lenny. Characters also drink and smoke but none of it is anything you can’t walk outside and see cigarettes and beer at a store or gas stations so it’s not a big deal. The game is great and extremely fun.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCooldudeben75 February 24, 2019

I was just stumbling on csm and I found this

Baby game

Adult Written byPlexwriter12 February 4, 2019

Hidden Pentagram!!! Beware

My son LOVED this game until he watched a you tube video on how to get to other spots on the map. We found out that there is a Pentagram that the game calls an Easter Egg that is hidden in Butchers Creek. It comes alive and lights up so you can sacrifice things to it between the hours of 4:00 and 5:00 am. I also found that this game is endorsed by Wiccans. I found a Wiccan blog that gave specific instructions on how to activate the Pentagram. This is NOT ok!!! After finding thisbout, we are throwing the game away. It’s so sad that this was in there, it really was a fun game
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBobby G. January 27, 2019

Amazing Western Shooter Game

I have no idea what CSM meant by a 5 for language. I haven't heard one f--k in my 30 hour play through. Violence is definitely the main concern here. While most of the normal shootout are pretty tame, with small red clouds for each shot, when slo-mo cinematic kills happen, it gets more violent. Blood spurts out from wounds in bigger amounts. This isn't too bad- until you use a shotgun. The shotgun can cause giant wounds and excessive blood, and if its aimed at limbs, it'll blow them right off. Aside from that, knife kills can be brutal, but there is less blood and no gore. Drinking can be done as well as smoking- you can get drunk and high. Sexuality is very mild- women can wash you, and there is a brief moment in a mission where a women is seen riding on top of a man naked, with partial nudity. The only other instance sexuality is seen is when you stumble upon a two men watching a women spank a man through a window.