Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Western adventure has very mature themes.

Adult Written byAlan B. January 26, 2019

Adult Written byGerry The Gamer Guy January 24, 2019

I depends

I feel that in comparison to other game created by Rockstar games it’s peace though it has a long plot and beautiful storyline that many children would overlook. Children now especially teenagers have already seen things like this even worse from television can be more sexually explicit than most video games. But in the end it truly depends on how your child is take this information. If you think that your child isn’t mature enough to handle this I wouldn’t suggest you buy it.

Adult Written byTrusty Reviews January 10, 2019

Nothing a mature 13 year old can’t handle

Violence is portrayed throughout this story, however you can have different approaches to the way you act. You can help your gang fight the other gang and occasional the police, or you can help the police fight off criminals. A lot of the gang fights are longer distance so you don’t see blood, however in close distance you can. You can beat and kill people at your own will but you don’t have to, but sometimes you have to beat or kill to move on with the story. There is a lot of drinking and smoking and there is one part where you get really drunk and you wander around like an idiot. You have to find your drunk friend in the hotel, however if you walk into a room there are people having sex, however it is not bad and is with cloths on. No matter was path you choose (Violent or not as violent) you will always come across violence. If you are 13 and younger you should not play it but if you are a mature 13 year old you are fine.
Adult Written bySquashedGrape January 8, 2019

Great Game

I think this game is amazing! Me and my kids love it, but there is violence, no sex and a really positive message! You can fight and kill people but the death is not that bad. Don't say no to your kids yet, let them get it.

Adult Written bysasha lapin January 7, 2019

This game is so fun!

This game is the best! if your child can handle f bombs and some violence they can get this game but you can beat people and and rob them otherwise this game is good.
Adult Written byGabe Larsen January 7, 2019

Red dead redemption 2 is good for all ages

I have 9 year old son and he loves this game there is nothing that is extremely bad about this game and it is very good game. I would let any kid have this game.

Adult Written byJohny123 January 6, 2019

Should not be mature

Red dead redemtion 2 is hardly violent with very little blood and as for swearing a ten year old should probably know the words in here and they can be switched of in settings and the drinking is that really a problem

Adult Written byHorrifiedmonster December 28, 2018

I love this game

This game is awesome u can ride horses and u can go in on an adventure with ur friends and do some cool activities that are fun

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byDan... December 26, 2018

Not worth it....Horribly foul.

There's nothing "mature" or "adult" about this game. I tried to give it a try on account of my wife who got it for me as a gift. I knew it had a tendency to cuss, but thought I could change the language to Spanish or maybe skip those scenes, but not even close. Right from the start they lay it on heavy. Every word you can think of. I'm not playing the hypocrite...putting my kids to bed so I can stare at this game. The 5 minutes I did play were boring anyway.

Adult Written bycolin_demps December 26, 2018

Great game for any young kids or even adults!

Has many positive role models and shows kids how to be responsible. No blood or anything of the sort and any responsible 6 year old can handle this game. Hope your child has a fun time with this one.

Adult Written byGamingFireX2 December 25, 2018

Amazing game!!!

Time and time again, my son has pressured me to get games that I feel are unfit for him; he constantly asks for games that have way too much blood and gore, but after playing the game, I see that it I completely appropriate, the violence is toned down beyond recognition, alcohol is only used by "the bad guys." Overall I think that the opinions highly underestimate the maturity of young teens, or even tweens.

Adult Written bytalktomeforvide... December 11, 2018

F A N T AS T I C

best game of all time

Parent of a 5 year old Written byRaztick December 10, 2018

Great game but inappropriate for young children

This is a wonderful game, with the best and most realistic scenery I've ever seen. It is completely immersive and includes an unlimited amount of tasks from doing chores to help the camp to hunting and fishing across the giant map. It takes 15 minutes of real time to ride a horse from one end of the map to the other. However, the main character encounters, and sometimes causes, extreme violence against all sorts of folk. At one point he helps kill half a town, including all the lawmen, just to break his insane colleague out of jail. He slightly admonishes his colleague for murdering two extra people just to retrieve his guns, but that's the extent of it. At another point, while simply roaming around, I encountered a person who had been strung up under a bridge, decapitated and missing the lower half of their body. Inside the head's mouth was a note from the murderer. For people worried about sex or nudity, there is very little. And the gratuitous and graphic violence is potentially much more harmful for young children than any of the minor sexual themes. Also, the language is as bad as it gets, but again, is nothing compared to the gore. I put 16+ because I think most 16 year olds would be able to handle this game without any more damage than an adult might endure. But each parent should evaluate their own child's tolerance for violence that could be traumatic or desensitizing. Again, this is a great game, but know what you are getting. Almost every "shoot 'em up" game on the market is less violent. Except GTA5 of course.
Adult Written byMargarett Samonelli December 6, 2018

Surprisingly Acceptable

I am currently a mother of 3 children one of which is 13. The release date of this video game happened to be his birthday and he really wanted the game. I had never let him play a rated M game ever and I could not believe he would ask me this. Even though I did not want him to have the game at all, I did some research and the game is actually acceptable for his age. There is minimal swearing which he is already exposed to, and the violence mostly involves lassoing up a horse, or disposing of a bandit. The game takes place in a western era and is a great history lesson. A lot of laws in the old western era are taught and so is independence, strength, confidence, animal care, among other themes. I will not neglect the fact that the game involves western themes that parents may find negative, but if your kid really enjoys video games he/she will most likely just focus on completing the task at hand instead of obsessing over the one subtle cuss word muttered in the background of the crowd your walking through. Please consider purchasing this game, for it made me feel a lot better that my kid was happy on his birthday. Also it may be the only appropriate rated M game in a while so...

Adult Written byJohnnyJu234 December 3, 2018

This game is not as mature as you think

I am a parent of 1 boy, and I never let him see r movies, hardly and pg13 movies, and he is not allowed to play call of duty or any other m games. However this game changed my view as I viewed it, and I did not hear any instances of the "n" word, and barely any other cuss words. I did not encounter any sexual themes,(the 0.2 second blurred sex scene was removed.). Or not required. And there is a few splatters of blood that did not seem to violent. So I decided to let my 13 year old get this game.

Adult Written byTheUltimateGamer December 1, 2018

Maybe a little bloody but nothing you haven't seen on TV.

I am a huge gamer and I absolutely love this game. It is a much better and a much more appropriate version of GTA 5. People think it is by the creators of GTA so don't let their kids go and get it, but not really. Their is so much violence in GTA and the point of that game is to kill people but Red dead redemption is about making friends and living a life in the west. There is a little bit of swearing but it really isn't that bad because you can play an online game and there will be real people cursing on their mic and that would be much worse than this game. The biggest turning point is the drinking, but there is so little of it in the game and it is bad for your character that is kind of just their and pointless. The blood is like the blood in the Fallout series it is in very quick portions so it is kid of hard to see. I would give it the same rating as fortnite because fortnite is about killing everybody but is has no blood. If you let your kid play Fallout 76, Fortnite, Assassin's creed and Call of duty the game should be completely okay.

Adult Written bydaway56 November 29, 2018

red dead redemeition

i think its a good game for kids with no sex sceans i have completed the game and the game is over all a very well done game

Adult Written byCommonSenseMaster November 24, 2018

A bit crazy but overall good!

A bit crazy but overall good!

Adult Written byJeybobdiddle November 23, 2018