Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Western adventure has very mature themes.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bysusanbarnes December 31, 2018

Great and appropriate game

my kid got this game. i was skeptical at first but after watching him play the story mode the whole day, i realized it was not bad. the review says there is a lot of sexual stuff. there really isn’t. it sends great messages. there is some violence, but not too much. there is some swearing but any middle schooler can handle it. they probably hear it every day at school.
Adult Written byJerry Parrel December 29, 2018

Parents, please read before you say "No!"

I think if your kid knows right from wrong, this game wont cause any problems. Terrific graphics, and an amazing story. Even a little bit educational!

Adult Written byHorrifiedmonster December 28, 2018

I love this game

This game is awesome u can ride horses and u can go in on an adventure with ur friends and do some cool activities that are fun

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byAutomatic19 December 27, 2018

Automatic thinking a great game

I mean this game is the greatest. Probably the greatest out of all the Rockstar games. I played all GTA games and all the Red Dead Redemption games but this one takes the cake. There are very few sex scenes in it and you barely see anything. There might be genetailia but mostly on a horse. They're alot of bad language but it's a Rockstar game, come on and most kids has probably heard em from school. There's also alot of drinking and alchoal included but your kids should know about that I mean itsithe 21st century. There's also blood and gore in this game too but what do you expect in a game where there's guns and it's Western. There's also alot of stuff that your child can learn like to shoot a gun, how to rise a horse and take care of it, or how vicious wild animals are. It's a great game and your kid might learn how to skin an animal or learn how to fish because you can hunt and fish on here too. He or she can also learn how to gain trust in family/friends. This game also has a great story and even better graphics. I even let my 10 year old cousin platit and before the game came out he knew all about that stuff. And he knew how to hunt and fish. Anyways I give this game five stars because it brought me so much joy playing this game and for all the hard work Rockstar put into it. This is Automatic signing off

Adult Written byMiikkkix December 27, 2018

Nice

Adult Written byDan... December 26, 2018

Not worth it....Horribly foul.

There's nothing "mature" or "adult" about this game. I tried to give it a try on account of my wife who got it for me as a gift. I knew it had a tendency to cuss, but thought I could change the language to Spanish or maybe skip those scenes, but not even close. Right from the start they lay it on heavy. Every word you can think of. I'm not playing the hypocrite...putting my kids to bed so I can stare at this game. The 5 minutes I did play were boring anyway.

Adult Written bycolin_demps December 26, 2018

Great game for any young kids or even adults!

Has many positive role models and shows kids how to be responsible. No blood or anything of the sort and any responsible 6 year old can handle this game. Hope your child has a fun time with this one.

Adult Written byNugget Man December 26, 2018

Not bad at all

This game is not bad whatsoever. Other people may say it but this is not true. Nudity is essentially 0 unless you happen to walk in this room during one part where all you see is a women's bare back. Horse genitalia is in it but that doesn't matter. Violence isnt bad whatsoever, not much blood or wound marks, plus your child chooses whether or not they want to cause violence and I dont see why they would. No violence equals in game bonuses. Even the game supports not having any violence. Swearing is more minimal than you might expect with mostly just g*dda**it and sh*t. I've played this game quite a bit and heard 1-2 f bombs throughout the whole thing. The game gives you the option to be good or bad and it is much more productive to be good so the M rating is basically just there for what you can do. In most cases, there is no violence at all. There is drinking and tobacco use. It's the wild west, it has to be historically accurate which this game very much is. If you have a 10 year old+ son and dont let him see drinking he wont adapt very well as an adult.

Adult Written byGamingFireX2 December 25, 2018

Amazing game!!!

Time and time again, my son has pressured me to get games that I feel are unfit for him; he constantly asks for games that have way too much blood and gore, but after playing the game, I see that it I completely appropriate, the violence is toned down beyond recognition, alcohol is only used by "the bad guys." Overall I think that the opinions highly underestimate the maturity of young teens, or even tweens.

Adult Written byCarlosBoi21 December 20, 2018

Why it is for kids

I play this game and I have to say it is amazing I’m an 11 yr old and there is not much sexuality

Adult Written bySn00pC4T December 18, 2018

Should be rated E

Overall, this game is handled very well by my 32 year old. He understands the general purpose of the game, and it does not seem to teach him anything bad overall.

Adult Written bywoozyman123 December 15, 2018

Don't say no until you read this!

Look. I agree with a lot of common sense 18+ ratings, but this is one that just doesn't deserve it. A mature 14 year old can definately play this game! I think even a 13 year old could play too as long as they have supervision. The language is not a big deal. If you listen to middleschoolers on the playground messing around you would be more shocked at their language than the language in this game. As for the nudity, it really isn't bad at all. The nudity consists of a pair of horse testicles, and one scene where you save a women from being assaulted. The combat is what you would expect in a mature game. This would be probably the reason most parents will not let their kids get this game. The truth is if your kids play games like seige or battlefield 1 it's nothing new. The difference is your character actually has consequences for his actions and killing. Your character feels remorse if you do something bad, and you get to choose your own path. You can help people less fortunate in this game and make friends. Each decision opens a new door. It really is a great game. You get to know all your gang mates, and you get to do nice things for them and play games. For all the parents who are worried about how you rob banks in this game think about this. It is a dang Western video game! Of course you are going to be looting and causing some mischief. A positive thing to come out of playing this is you learn about how it was back then in simpler times. You learn some history, and the amazing graphics make you feel like your really in the game. Of course in combat scenarios there really is not too much gore. Unlike GTA there is no guts unrealistically flying out of people if you push them over. Just maybe a little red like all other shooter games. I encourage you parents to get your kids this for christmas. They would be missing out on a great game that teaches you that all actions have consequences. Thanks for reading.
Adult Written bycool mom 29 December 13, 2018

inappropriate

this game had blood and and nudity in it and my 20 year old slept in my room for the next 3 months

Adult Written bytalktomeforvide... December 11, 2018

F A N T AS T I C

best game of all time

Parent of a 5 year old Written byRaztick December 10, 2018

Great game but inappropriate for young children

This is a wonderful game, with the best and most realistic scenery I've ever seen. It is completely immersive and includes an unlimited amount of tasks from doing chores to help the camp to hunting and fishing across the giant map. It takes 15 minutes of real time to ride a horse from one end of the map to the other. However, the main character encounters, and sometimes causes, extreme violence against all sorts of folk. At one point he helps kill half a town, including all the lawmen, just to break his insane colleague out of jail. He slightly admonishes his colleague for murdering two extra people just to retrieve his guns, but that's the extent of it. At another point, while simply roaming around, I encountered a person who had been strung up under a bridge, decapitated and missing the lower half of their body. Inside the head's mouth was a note from the murderer. For people worried about sex or nudity, there is very little. And the gratuitous and graphic violence is potentially much more harmful for young children than any of the minor sexual themes. Also, the language is as bad as it gets, but again, is nothing compared to the gore. I put 16+ because I think most 16 year olds would be able to handle this game without any more damage than an adult might endure. But each parent should evaluate their own child's tolerance for violence that could be traumatic or desensitizing. Again, this is a great game, but know what you are getting. Almost every "shoot 'em up" game on the market is less violent. Except GTA5 of course.
Adult Written byKathrineAnderman12 December 10, 2018

Alright for a child entering middle school.

Introduced this to my child as a lot of kids had been playing it at his middle school, and I watched him play the first 30 minutes or so of the game. At first I was sceptical about it as it was made by the same games company as GTA 5 and I would never let my son play that. But soon I recognised that the game doesn’t deserve an R, as although there is cocaine gum in the game as an optional choice, it mainly punishes the player for using it and gives positive messages for this. One of the reasons why it’s rated R is that it’s violent, but violence is an optional choice much like the drugs, and still punishes the player for this and the player can be sent to jail. Therefore worsening the gaming experience. This game is a choice game where you can be good or bad, and influences making the right choices. As long as your child doesn’t choose the wrong decisions it’s suitable.

Adult Written byhendrixc1 December 6, 2018

Let me talk

4 may sound low but this game is e if you want it to be

Adult Written byMargarett Samonelli December 6, 2018

Surprisingly Acceptable

I am currently a mother of 3 children one of which is 13. The release date of this video game happened to be his birthday and he really wanted the game. I had never let him play a rated M game ever and I could not believe he would ask me this. Even though I did not want him to have the game at all, I did some research and the game is actually acceptable for his age. There is minimal swearing which he is already exposed to, and the violence mostly involves lassoing up a horse, or disposing of a bandit. The game takes place in a western era and is a great history lesson. A lot of laws in the old western era are taught and so is independence, strength, confidence, animal care, among other themes. I will not neglect the fact that the game involves western themes that parents may find negative, but if your kid really enjoys video games he/she will most likely just focus on completing the task at hand instead of obsessing over the one subtle cuss word muttered in the background of the crowd your walking through. Please consider purchasing this game, for it made me feel a lot better that my kid was happy on his birthday. Also it may be the only appropriate rated M game in a while so...

Adult Written byCoreyk67 December 5, 2018

Graphic sex scenes.

Any prent who recommends this is ok for anyone under 16 or 17 is delusional. There are many many sex acts in the game. Lots of cussing. Do a quick google search for red dead 2 sex scenes and you will find several. Peeking through a window watching a man on all 4s in bed being spanked naked or a woman in full nude riding a john in a bed. They are not cut scenes.. they are part of the game. Come on parents... set some boundries.

Adult Written bydreadusthedestroyer December 3, 2018

Petty of commonsense

It is in all honesty petty for common sense to give this an 18 rating, along with esrb. This limits a above average should be teen game, to an audience of 18+, it should be at most 13+. I played the whole game from start to finish, and I am aware of all of the blacklash from parents because of M rated games. I understand they don't want their child to play games like Call of duty, as that provokes violence, however, that is not apparent in this game, you don't just shoot people, you have a morality system, the game punishes you for mindlessly shooting people. This game does not provoke violence, it inspires people to be kind and good, which is heavily implied by this game. Also, this game has the lowest form of violence in all honesty, little splatters of blood here and there, and most of the language is occasional and mild, like damn and crap, (which are in games like spiderman.). Why, they say those words less than spider man, a teen rated game. This game has no sexual content whatsoever, I did not encounter any sexual behavior, or scenes. The most graphic thing in this game is blood splatters, in all honesty. If you are a parent who looks at the esrb des. LOOK MORE INTO IT, IT IS EXAGGERATED. THIS GAME SHOULD BE TEEN