Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Western adventure has very mature themes.

Adult Written byMicheal S November 4, 2018

This shouldn’t be an 18 rated game.

First of all I think this game is fantastic, and would be a shame for people 13 and over to miss out on. I pre ordered it for myself as I loved the first one, my son who is 13 found out and was begging me to let him play when it was released but I said no. I said that as I didn’t know how the game was gonna be like but I have now played it so I shall give a review on it. Let’s talk about language first. The language in this game is quite good for an 18 rated game what I mean is that there is swearing every single second. The worst the language gets is a few F words, I have played a lot of the game and haven’t heard the N-word so not sure why common sense put that in their rating. The S-word is said a bit but if your child is over 13 they would have heard it a lot at school and in films anyway. The most frequent word you will hear is b*stard and b*tch but even these don’t occur a lot. Now onto the violence, the violence in this is nothing more than you will see in shooters like Call Of Duty when a person gets shot there will be some blood spray but this would be expected in a game where guns are involved. There is no gore unless the player chooses to do so, for example you can tie someone on train tracks and wait for the train to come and that is gorey bit the only other gore is if you purposely go up to someone and shoot them point blank in the head but if your child doesn’t do this then they won’t see any gore. Sex and nudity is almost not in the game at all although there is a scene with a women on top of a man but it is split second and you don’t have to go there other than this there is none at all. Drinking and smoking is present but if your child is mature it won’t affect them. NOTE: there is a bit of hunting but you don’t have to do it. Overall I think you should let children 13 and over that are mature play. I have let my son play. Hopefully this helped you thanks Micheal
Adult Written bylionbro October 26, 2018

For kids 12 and older

This game has blood language but any mature 12 year old should know this language and not be affected. There is partial nudity for like a second in the whole game.

Adult Written byJackSchell October 27, 2018

It’s fine

There’s little to no sexual content and the worst it gets is a few f-bombs. This is fine for a 12 year old.
Adult Written byRealParentNotFake November 21, 2018

Pretty epic and family friendly.

I have a 11 year old child that asked for this game recently so I looked into it and was pushed away. There is horse genitalia but it is hardly noticeable and really adds to the experience since they shrink in the cold and get bigger in the heat. The skinning of animals has a detailed animation but in my opinion it adds to the experience. I let my son get the game and he absolutely loved it! He's played so much and I'm pretty happy about the purchase. This game does not have a battle royale mode which is a big down for my son, but it is still really fun. I was never really into video games but I tried playing it and had some fun. It has swearing but if your child is older than 11 they have definitely heard it at school and won't affect them if they are mature enough. It also reinforces the second amendment and is based in the wild west which can be a learning experience for your child. You are able to kill people which can be a turn off for some but again if your child is mature enough it won't matter.
Adult Written byTrusted Parent ... November 9, 2018

Other Reviews Are Over Dramatic!

First off, the other reviewers overly dramatize their reviews. The swearing is there, but it's no more than a PG-13 movie. Even so, you tend not to notice it as you're too busy taking care of your horse, eating, or fending off foes. Next topic is sexual themes. Throughout my whole game play, I only encountered one sexual theme/reference. And, that was a girl requesting to wash me in the bathtub. You are easily able to decline this, and even if you do accept nothing is shown. She is still a fully dressed woman. Overall, this game is incredible and hands down game of the year. I rarely let my 14-year old even watch PG-13 movies, but this game he just has to experience. You can either be a good outlaw, or a bad outlaw, and that choice is up to you. At the end, the story leads you in a way that makes you feel bad if you're a bad outlaw and teaches you to be a good respectable citizen. Again, it's just a fantastic story. If you, or your kid, has the money to purchase this game then I highly recommend it. Thanks for your time, - Trusted Parent Reviews.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byScaryMovieMan October 27, 2018

Before you say no to your kid read this

Hello parents, as some body who has played about 4 hours into the story i can tell you that this game has got minimal stuff to warent an M rating (besides violence) the sexual content is kept to a very small amount (the "nudity" is actually horse genitalia and its hardly noticable and the swearing is mostly cowboy swear (ei, sh** and g**d***) and the F word is used by an Irish and by NPC but i only counted about 4 as of watching gameplay on youtube so its very random and doesn't happen much and as fir drugs and alcohol its a freaking western it will have lots if beer and tabacco but its accurate for the time if anything buy this game (with parents watching) as a history game (IE assassins creed) i found this game STUNNING the graphics are AMAZING you could play this game for hours just looking a mountains and small towns also for those wondering the violence is graphic (IE blood, you can skin animals, shoot people) but insanely accurate guns wont always kill in one shot unless you shoot in the head (also i have not played multiplayer yet since it comes out in november) but 100% reccomened this game this game is gonna win Game Of The Year for sure and if you dont let your kids play thats on you but they will be missing out on a story so REAL and fresh you could swear you were there and it will keep them there for a 60 hour long story that keeps twists and turns every where . I'm gonna leave you with this parents buy this game for anyone 12+ they wont hear anything they havent heard at school in fact they will hear less swearing here and they will also learn about how times were back in 1899. Until next time bye

Adult Written byrobby38 October 26, 2018

Too much nudity?

Over the past day I have been playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I played the first one and loved it. I could of done without the sexual themes in it though and it would not of affected me at all. I am aware that there is over 60 hours of gameplay so I do not know everything about the game. When playing the game there is lots of foul language but no more than what you would hear at your average middle school. F- bomb, [email protected], [email protected] I am ok with the language and the violence for my kid as because I know he is mature enough to handle it. I just did not let him play it at first because of the nudity. Unlike the last Red Dead and GTA 5 the sexual content is dialed down quite a bit in this game. The character you play as can not have sex with other characters at all in the game. There is cleavage shown a bit and a males genitals are shown though in a non-sexual way. There are only two scenes with a little engagement with sexual activity. During the storyline you save a woman from being raped but during the other scene you walk in on a man and a woman having sex. I believe that if your child is mature enough for this game and is 12-13 years or older s/he should be aloud to play this game. It is much better than some of Rockstars other masterpieces.
Adult Written byEmmaaa January 4, 2019

Rape alluded to

I haven't noticed any other reviews mention the scene where the main character, Arthur Morgan, is suggested to be raped. A hillbilly calls to the protagonist, saying that there is food inside his cabin, and if Arthur enters he is promptly knocked out and the screen goes black. You can hear a sound like the unbuckling of a belt as the man makes some comment like "You struggled and you lost," calling you "pet." Then Arthur awakes in a clearing, appearing bow-legged. Despite not being visually graphic, this scene could be very confronting for kids and I'd hate for parents to be unaware when allowing their children to play this game. There's also a "Wolf man" who is completely naked with visible genitals, and in a certain building you can hear a couple having sex. The game is large and I'm sure many people won't come across these events, but just a warning. Hope someone finds this helpful
Adult Written byTastfulltina October 27, 2018

Great Game

It’s an amazing game and if your kid can handle the language he should be fine if you know what he’s doing. You can make your own choices in this game so your not forced to do anything. Though the campaign only really has language
Adult Written byRagland0955 May 23, 2019

Beautifully crafted story with great characters

The main character has an amazing redemption arch atoning for his past sins, the characters in the game are all well made and rounded to have good and bad sides. The game overall has good themes and lessons such as Redemption, loyalty, trust, lessons about women suffrage and racism. Overall a great game and a wonderful experience, not to mention a beautiful open world and the most immersive game I’ve played.

Adult Written bytrey1182 May 12, 2019

Fine for kids

The game isn't really that bad, I beat the game one time and nothing really bad besides some swearing.

Adult Written byElijah E. May 12, 2019

Great Game for teens.

This is a massive open world game where you can explore the open country as a cowboy. There are many fun story missions to do along with countless side missions. Stunning visuals. Great story. As far as age ratings, 13 is just perfect. I went through the whole game seeing no nudity besides the back side of someone for about a second, and the language is mostly cowboy insults and occasional s**t. There is violence because it’s in the Wild West, but you’re fighting against bad people and are never made to harm helpless people, in fact many missions in the game involve helping people who are in peril. You can drink beer and get drunk, but that’s normal cowboy behavior and it’s optional. I hope this helps.

Adult Written byIreviewstuffforme May 8, 2019

A game with moral values and a lot of action

Parent of a 10 year old Written bySenseofshed181 May 5, 2019

Best game ever!!!

Highly underrated. An amazing campaign which moved me to tears. Online aspect poor but Rockstar obviously focused on the campaign.

Parent of a 15 year old Written bylhmeikle May 4, 2019

For mature pre teens and older

Honestly I think this game is wrong to be rated a 18(m) As it is only slightly gory and has a few swear words but it also shows the importance of friendship and loyalism and while you can tie people up and drag them behind your horse for example that isn't a necessary part of the game and if you trust your child to be matuer it is a great game it also accurately and beautifully covers the issue of the natives fighting a war with the us army, as your character you are helping the natives reclaim stolen land and sacred objects. I would also hate for a child to miss out on this game as the storyline is entertaining and fun yet emotionally deep to the point of tears and the graphics are the best I have seen In conclusion it would be horrible for a mature teen to miss out on this amazing game because of the age rating on the box.

Adult Written byYeet999 April 25, 2019

amazing

If your kids can handle the language and the violence of blowing peoples heads off with shotguns it's for you.

Adult Written byPaul Lahas April 23, 2019

Before you say no to your child please read this.

In my opinion this game is just amazing. It is suitable for kids who 11 yrs old and above there is no bad scenes what so ever. At its worst there is only shooting i mean what do you expect form an old western game. At the end of the day i thimk its totally worth it to buy a game like this for your child especially if they are 11 yrs or older.

Adult Written byEmma haugeland March 27, 2019

Great gameplay little to no Sexual or nudity Immersive and sensetive story

This is is pretty much just a masterpeace on my perspective.Little to no sexual content. vVolence and drugs other dangerous substantive, are of course in there its a westeren. Optional to drink or do drugs and swear to other NPC. Tell you a story that good people do bad things my child and i love this game

Adult Written byRickGrimes March 21, 2019

Love It This Game Was So Masterpiece And Esstential Of The The Best Game Ever

Adult Written byfoxfilmsp March 17, 2019

Must be mature

For starters, this game is amazing. The graphics are almost perfect and you have over 60 hours of complete gameplay. I think your child must be around 13 years old to play the game due to a few factors such as language, nudity, and violence. As for language, there are a lot of cuss words, but we are also talking about a WESTERN GAME. Of course there are going to be cuss words. So far the only words I’ve heard are a few f-bombs, s-word and b*tch and b*stard are used more often. In the game there are also a couple of drug references such as tobacco and alcohol, but once again, it is a western game that takes place in the 1800’s that ANY mature child can handle well. Nudity, there IS NOT a lot of. There is one scene where a woman is on top of a man, but that only appears for one second in the game. There is another scene where a woman washes your character in a bathtub for money, but there is no nudity it is all covered by bubbles. In a saloon, women ask if you character “wants to have a good time” but you have the option to decline. Once again, someone who is of a mature age can easily handle situations like this and there is no NUDITY but only sexual references. As for violence, there is a lot and cannot be avoided because it is something you need in order to get the most out of your game. Gore isn’t too bad. When you shoot a character, all there is is a smile blood splash and after they die, there is usually a small puddle of blood. When hunting, there is an option to skin your animal you’ve killed for money, and that’s usually the worst it gets as for violence and gore. Overall, just make sure your child is a mature age and can handle situations that I’ve listed.