All member reviews for Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

While not for kids, this zombie shooter is well-made.

Adult Written byGameemom April 4, 2011

Reviewed by the overprotective, fine for 13+

I am 36 with two 14 year old boys who love the game, at first I was against it, but after they showed it to me when I allowed them to rent it, I was wrong. The violence is constant, but nothing too awful, like call of duty zombies, some words that I hat are used such as s***, I did not hear the f word throughout the game, there are also hardly no sex references in the game, anyway, nothing real world mature kids can't handle.13+
Parent Written byThegamingguy November 25, 2012

Great alternative for original game.

Let's start wth the basics. This game is based on the popular Rockstar game, Red Dead Redemption. But, this game is much less mature. There is violence, as you can shoot, stab, and light zombies (and humans) on fire. Many zombie games, however, get MUCH more gruesome. the language is also questionable, as you may hear the occasional curse and 1 or 2 f bombs. But, you spend the majority of the game by yourself, so you may not even here vulgar language once. Now, on to sexual content. There is no sex going on at any point in the game, and I have yet to hear any sexual references. There is drinking, but nothing too bad. I think this game is good for ages 11 and up.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byKD43thunder July 11, 2013

Perfect for 13

This game ids definite for a 13 year- old they do swear once in a while but not that much there also isn't a lot of violence but there is a little if you wont let you 13 year old get this your waaaaaaaay over protective or whatevs
Parent Written byhmdog13 August 5, 2011

appropriate

completely appropriate for kids 10+ although i dont know y it is rated M
Parent of a 15 year old Written byIans father January 15, 2011

Good for teens

This is a game that try's to accurately depict a very violent, and unstable period of time. Let it be known that there are messages hidden under the violence (of which there are admittedly large amounts) some of which have to do with the gray line between right and wrong, as well as the way that the government, and the general population view reformed criminals. If you take time to explain some of the deeper meanings to your child there are undeniable benefits to letting them play this game. The Undead Nightmare DLC is an excellent look at how, in reality the actions of most people are little more than that of a reanimated corpse. Beyond this it is an excellent way to have your children overcome some preconceived notions about different types of people. By letting them play any game where social statuses are severely redefined allows an excellent chance to show that under all the societal boundaries that we put up we are not all that different. There are still things that you need to consider when allowing your children to play this or any other game, mainly being is your child able to look at a game and see beyond what is at face value, and if not are they at least able to handle what is present to them and put it to use in a beneficial way. Overall, I feel that after the age of 15, it is permissible to allow any children to play this game, as long as they are able to see deeper meanings, or understand that the actions that are permissible in video games are not necessarily accepted in real life. Despite how I feel, it is ultimately based upon the maturity of the child that you have raised.
Parent Written by9 rondo December 9, 2011

red dead redemption

I think that this game is spectacular for kids 12 and older
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTheGman447 January 6, 2011

good for olders

I love this game, me and my son play it all the time. Sure, its bloody, stabbing shooting and burning zombies and innocent people. but its real fun so if you love zombies and shooters, get this game and play it up! if you are interested in multiplayer, this game has it but no zombies in multiplayer. (Accept for one outfit)
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written bymike68 February 3, 2013

good for a 13 year old but no younger

my 13 year old son was asking if he could get this and at first i was cautious. i read some reviews on here and decided to give it a go. i watched him play it and found it to be not as violent as i thought it was going to be. It is a very good game and im happy with my purchase. would recommend to parents of children 13 and over
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 December 23, 2013

Stellar Rockstar game that will please many

Great zombie shooter that may not be good for the younger ones. There is lots of zombie violence as well as violence toward survivors. Depending on what weapon you are using, and where you shoot them can result in how much blood (or gore) will appear. There is language present within the game, but doesn't contain as much as a lot of mature rated games have. There is some tobacco use, but very mild and nothing to worry about. There is only sexual talk and dialogue that aren't to frequent and aren't graphic. Unlike the original game there is no nudity present or any real sexual content. Very mature 11 and older. Suggested MPAA rating R: Strong Zombie Violence, Some Sexual References, and Language.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bygamerdad13 February 3, 2013

not sexual, not many swears, zombie violence

Could not see any sexual aspects to this game, its mainly about killing zombies which is ok as not actual people. some swear words but not many. fine for a 14 year old. not bad at all
Teen, 14 years old Written byDuckyboy October 3, 2015

I know a lot of inappropriate things in gaming for just a 13 year old.

My father let me play this game but he played red dead redemption the original and he didn't like the nudity in it so it took me a little while to to convince him as soon as i played it it wasn't that bad it didn't have any nudity like red dead redemption did so that's an A on my list and the violence was okay so and it was not very Gorey of a game yes you can shoot heads off but that's about as bad as it gets
Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2011

Great for 13+

I liked the game, but the bad thing is, is that after you have to go to Rio Bravo in one of the first sequences, you have no clue where Dickens is after you collect the flowers. The gameplay is good. Also, you can't have any fun creating mischief in the town and being the new face of the WANTED LIST. So, my game rating is like BUY RENT or PASS This game is a BUY... if you like killing zombies
Kid, 10 years old December 26, 2010

A violent cowboy game is for older kids

This game is a first person shooter that is not cool for kids my age. It has a amazing story, and the characters are likable, unique , and fun. Overall the game is great! The violence is pretty high though. Players can shoot off body parts of the zombies with tons of realistic blood and gore. I could handle it, but in a way it is not good for kids my age. I got at gamestop on the first day, and it was worth the money. There is some "bad words" in the game that I heard like: the F word, the D word, a**, bas**d, sh*t, and the B word. Some sexual stuff in there too. There is multiplayer in the game so you can talk to people. So that makes the language extra extra extra bad. The game is really fun though, and admit it is more of a older persons game, but I had tons of fun playing!
Kid, 10 years old October 21, 2011

OK in my book

Honestly, if your kid has Black Ops, which most do. Then they have seen worse than this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byigamer September 22, 2011

Not near as bad as Common Sense says...

Like I said in the title, it is not near as bad as Common Sense puts it. throughout my whole game playing, I only heard 1 F-word . I only heard a few S-words and maybe several D-words, A-words etc. I have no clue as to what CSM is saying about Sexual content. I have not seen any sexual content except for one part where a zombie whore touches her you know whats while fully clothed. And a the beginning of the game, Marston's (main character) wife is dressed in mildly skimpy clothing. As for the violence, Listen to what CSM has to say about that one. Because it does get a little gory. (as sometimes you will even see people get eaten.) All in all I think this game deserves a yellow 15+ rating from me due to the atmosphere being quite unsettling at times.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypappabear2010 May 15, 2011
How does killing zombies not make you a good role model? He saves the world from certain annahilation.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 February 27, 2012

Violent,but very good fun.

Got this for my birthday in the bundle which included all the extras and downloadable content as well as Red Dead Redemption and 30 bucks(bought it from GameStop) it's an awesome deal.There is a huge amount of violence,and you can kill zombies by shooting them in the head causing large amounts of gore to explode out in slow motion.You can also kill undead creatures may be frighten many people.But I'll say one thing though.The blood looks like red paint but is scary enough to scare most kids.Language is constant and brutal.Overall,a fun but bloody gaming experience.
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2012

better for kids than red dead redemption

this is much better to play than original this is more violent but better for kids because it is against zombies
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. July 17, 2013

Screw this game.

Ruined the first Red Dead Redemption for me, so don't play it if that what your playing it for.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRed Dead Redemption February 12, 2012

Undead Nightmare

Undead Nightmare has quite a few bad things in it. For example, constant decapitation, large bloody puffs of air when shot, and infrequent swearing. But this game does not just have all "bad" content. When the zombie hordes overtook the west, people are trying to save other people from the zombies. This game shows you how important teamwork is. If it is only you in the west with thousands of zombies, you will not last long. But with other people, you can live much longer. Overall, this is a violent game. But has some good morals with it. You should rent it first just to make sure the content is not horrible for you though. So, 14 and up can play it in my book!