All member reviews for Resident Evil 5

Controversial horror game has sparked racial debate.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Adult Written byreloven May 13, 2009

All the Macho Boy Stuff without the Scary Side Effects!

This game is a exceptional. Though the title may make it seem like it could be too mature for some players, it is actually mild at the most. My son is 12 years old and he plays it often. Because the premise of the game is to kill zombies, I think it is far more acceptable for young adults then other games, such as Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt, etc. At no point does the game center around inflicting violence on other people. Instead, the player must simply hunt and kill zombies to protect human kind. It does have a little bit of gore, but unlike realistic games such as Grand Theft Auto, where you can kill police officers and solicit prostitutes, it focuses solely on finding and exterminating zombies. Acknowledging that zombies aren't real, I think this is the kind of game any parent could purchase without worrying it might turn your child into a violence seeking adolescent. It simply allows kids a little thrill without exposing your child to real life, scary situations. Reality Check: Parents are going to have to let their boys be boys, and often this includes some form of macho-bravery, but it doesn't have to be experienced at the risk of encouraging violence against other people. Hope that helps!
Teen, 14 years old Written byGrimms-Dragon July 20, 2011

It's Awesome, and a little gross.

I love this game, but I don't suggest it for anyone that doesn't like diseased looking people and zombies. The ideas for the zombies are brilliant, but are sure to make a lot of people squirm.
Kid, 11 years old April 10, 2011

NO WAY Under 15

I'm in 6th grade, and this game scared the s--t out of me! I couldn't go to sleep for a long time.
Adult Written byRagzi September 10, 2010

Great multiplayer but very violent

The game is a great multiplayer game, but definitely not for children or young teens. There is a lot of violence and blood. The entire point of the game is to kill zombies.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylarry6870 June 13, 2009

Awesome game

This is by far one of the funnest games available. The violence might be too graphic for some of the younger players especially due to the better graphics on the xbox 360 and the ps3. The racism issue is blown very out of proportion. In today's day and age anything that shows blacks being shot stabbed etc is an viewed as racism but in this game it is not the case. You are simply playing as your character who so happens to trace the virus to Africa and the inhabitants of Africa are predominantly black, go figure. People act as if the only things you kill in this game are black people but it is not true. Just to add, your partner is from Africa herself! By far a great game but like I stated above be wary of the violence as it is graphic for the younger players.
Adult Written byjomo999 June 26, 2009

Another excellent title in the series

This game is not really all that controversial. The game is set in Africa, therfore the infected (no longer just zombies) are black this time around. Just like in the RE4 the viallins were white because they came from a rural European village. The central villain in this game is white anyway so what's the problem? This is an excellent action game that, whilst not as scary as its predecessors, brings the thrills to new heights. Play solo or co-operatively online or split-screen and utilise a plethora of weapons to vanquish the infected hordes that stalk you throughout the game. The action is meaty and satisfying, the game mechanics are well designed and easily accesible making for some tense, exciting shooting. The game also includes a little puzzle solving like the previous Resident Evils, huge and fun Boss fights and some great cinematic cut-scenes. The audio-visual presentation is fantastic providing lush graphics and a superbly atmospheric orchestral score make you feel as if you're in a Hollywood action movie. Drawbacks? The game is not quite as groundbreaking as its illustrious predecessor and whilst it improves on the gameplay such as being able to switch weapons without using the menu and an intelligent AI partner, it doesn't clear up some of issues found in all of the Resident evil games: under-developed characters and cheesy dialogue, which is a shame because the hammy lines are delivered by some very capable voice-actors - it would be nice if they had a better script to work with. But even taking these issues into account, RE5 is an enthralling experience and there are plenty of extras once you've completeted the main story. Occasionally cringe-worthy dialogue is a minor complaint for what is easily a 5 star game. Issues - - Extremely violent and gory but no worse than previous games, if you've played RE you know what to expect - Some bad language, mostly mild but f**k is said once - No sex or drug issues - Main protagonists Sheva and Chris are honourable do-gooders and provide great role models
Teen, 14 years old Written byJCK12 April 30, 2011

18+

I thought it was way to violent so i toke it back to get my money back because its a really nasty game not fit for any one under 18. The game is creepy involving chainsaws axes and other murderous weapons. A big problem is when your Chris because in one part he could only kill black, Indian, and Jews which i think is a form of racism. this game is not for any kid.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfreeflow246 April 30, 2010

Think about it before you buy

This game definitely deserves it's M rating, but doesn't hold a candel to others like Grand Theft Auto. Violence- there are spurts of blood when you or enemies are hit, but there's not a fountain. When a character is killed, a puddle of blood sometimes grows around thier bodies. Your character can be decapitated by a chainsaw, but it's off-screen. Sometimes zombies' heads can be shot off, and the parasite briefly gapes from the open neck wound. Several people are infected with a parasite that overtakes their bodies and covers them in a swarm of worm-like things. People (zombies included) are impaled, crushed and sliced. Every character has a set of physical attacks, which range from a crushing punch to the face, impalemant with a knife, and snapping necks with bare hands. There is one game mode where the player kills as many zombies as he can as quickly as he can. Language- The language is pretty heavy, but better than most R-rated films out there. There is one f-bomb in story mode, and another on the Gold Edition. There are four or five uses of sh*t, the same number of d*mn, a few uses of God as exclamations, and about one use of b*stard. Sex- There aren't any sexual situations. Sheva wears tight, cleavage-revealing clothing, and several of her unlockable costumes are little more than a bikini. One female character wears a dress that cuts to her stomach and lower back. There is one scene where a character uses slight innuendo. Attitude- Obviously the bad guys have pretty a pretty bad attitude for trying to bring about a sort of apocalypse. Chris and Sheva risk their lives to complete their mission, protect/aid fellow agents, and to rescue Chris's friend. At one point Sheva almost backs out, but decides to help Chris stop the plan to infect the entire world with mutating, sometimes fatal parasite. Other concerns- there is controversy over this game and where it takes place, but I don't see why it's racist. They're in a poverty-ridden area of Africa, so most of the population will be black. Sheva is black, so why is there such an uproar over a white man killing black zombies in self-defence?
Parent of a 4 year old Written bytreqi January 10, 2011

When did zombie fragging start having anything to do with racism?

The Resident Evil storyline has a long history that has spanned the globe detailing a zombie apocalypse and now that they bring it to the Umbrella Corporations offices in Africa it now has "racial undertones?" Lets step back and use some logic. Do a large majority of the people in Africa have darker toned skin? Yes! They do! Do I truly care about the skin color of the zombie I'm killing? No not really. Would I expect a larger number of African zombies to have a darker skin tone? Yes. Would it possibly detract from the storyline if there was a generic smattering of "PC" skin tones? I'd say yes. SO, using our logic and reasoning skills we can clearly see that just because I'm killing a zombie that will otherwise eat my brains does not mean I harbor a dislike for that person, I am just trying to survive.
Kid, 9 years old February 8, 2011

very great game

I got the full game for my birthday it's great just buy it for your 14 years old or mature players
Adult Written bycallofduty5 June 28, 2011

RE5

Resident Evil 5 is a survival horror game based in Africa. You will play as Chris Redfield (in solo) or as Sheva Alomar (when playing in online session, xbl, psn). This game is very violent: it contains strong,bloody violence towards zombies, there are gallons of blood and gore. However it's not overly violent (such as Dead Space 2). It has some disturbing moments (zombies mutate and other stuff). I would reccomend this to players 16+ since it's a sci-fi/horror game and not very realistic. It has it's gory moments but it's also very good in storyline.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bynancy brownville January 12, 2011

Whats the big deal?

all your doing is killing zombies you cant kill normal people in the beginning of the game. any exstremely violent things happen off screen. there are goo role models like sheva being a strong self reliant women and chris just trying to save his friend, yes most of your enemies are majini aka the ''zombies'' but you will also fight mutants and expirements like a giant spider like monster. THERE ARE NO CHAINSAWA OR SWORDS i dont know where the review got its information but that is a lie. I let my 11 year old buy but within the first level i told him to turn it off and said he could play it again next year even when he was tweleve i woudnt let him play it i found 13 is a good age to let your kids start playing m games to later and they will be curious and play it at there friends house behind your back . this game is fine for ages 13 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Person Guy July 11, 2011

RE5

I haven't played this, but it is very stupid of people to think that it's racist for killing black zombies. They're in Africa!!!!!! So it's not bad when you kill white zombies in other RE games?? Quite stupid.
Teen, 16 years old Written byGorrilas R Beast February 26, 2011

A really fun game. the person who reviewed this game is flippin' stupid

Are you freaking kidding me? who ever wrote this review is seriously just plain stupid. There are both white and african amercan zombies. Chris Redfield was in the air force, he retired, and now he is in the BSAA. He's not a vicious killer. You also play as Sheva. You don't use swords or chainsaws. There is no use of the word "fu*k".
Teen, 16 years old Written bybethroxy January 9, 2011

Number one rule of Zombies: They are everywhere. So wouldn't it have been RACIST to leave out Africa? Also, have you noticed the only people complaining about racism in this game have been white people? My point being that in RE 4, we were killing Spanish-european people. How come no racism issue was raised there? Now, in RE5, we're in Africa, hense the African zombies. On a brighter note, the game is amazing and anyone over 13 should give it a go :D
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2011

Iffy.

This game is good, but I have not defeated it yet. I have not heard a single f-word or s-word or b-word. But I have heard the d-word. The violence is okay. And about the racist thing, you are in Africa so there are going to be african-american people. But there are some american zombies.
Teen, 16 years old Written byChristian Baughman January 23, 2011

Resident Evil is Amazing

I love this Game so much. Lots of blood and guts in it but fun too. I mean really fun. I think this game is goood for 8 and up because why, because I let my little sister play it just to see if she got scared but she didn't and she loves the game, and she really loves the movies alot too.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 December 16, 2011

Unless you are chicken,this is something for everyone.Definitely.

I have the Gold Edition and normal version for my Xbox 360 ( I got the normal in 2009 and the gold in 2010) and I have the Collector's Edition and normal edition for my PS3 both of which I got in 2009.Although I have been playing the game 9-13 hours a day from the time I got it until now i don't get into fights or throw vulgarities every second.Why?I know this sort of stuff is unrealistic and unreal and will never happen in real life.Stop black mouthing this game it's Ok and is not over the top it's just fine although really intense at times but not like what Csm described.Language is envitable in life,and there is no game with no bad language.There are far worse games out there not causing controversy and the people who made a big fuss about this are really fussing over nothing.First these are dead zombies not humans and they don't even look a single bit like humans people are just picking on this for no reason it's not scary at all unless your cowards Children will be children,if you think they can handle it,let them play but the recommended age is 11,or parental supervision for under.if you hide your child from everything ,they're already Tweens and need to have a taste of the real world they will get laughed at at school.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypanckaes223 March 7, 2010

Its great but violent
Teen, 17 years old Written byYoda123 November 26, 2009

leku200 that is honestly one of the poorest comparisons i have every read/heard before. If you do your job as a parent and teach your kids how to handle violence and swearing then you should have nothing to worry about. Now if you haven't given a child a strong moral base and the clear line between right and wrong then you may have something to worry about. I'm not saying this game should be give to children, in fact i don't know many people under the age of 15 who should play it. It, as with most things, is a judgement call. Only you can tell if a child is mature enough to handle graphic violence or strong language but in my opinion, if you haven't taught them how to handle all of this by the time they're at least 14 you need to start working harder And another note on the 'racism' please people. Do we have to start brushfires over meaningless coincidences? The developers put a well known character in the game in an african setting. Do you expect this white character to not defend himself or fight the bioterror threat because the people he's fighting have different skin color? He's doing his job, i suppose you think american troops are racist because they sometimes have to kill terrorists that aren't white like them.... Weren't we all created equal?