All member reviews for Rome: Total War (including Barbarian Invasion and Alexander)

Kid, 11 years old November 1, 2013

A good game

It is a great game for 10 & up. It has the odd sword fighting to the death and arrow but no blood or gore.
Teen, 16 years old Written byiamJMAN00793 June 21, 2010

Best Strategy Game Ever

Rome: Total War is a excellent strategy game for 12+. There are large scale battles in which thousands of troops die but there is no blood or gore. The game is defiantly thought provoking and requires a good amount of planning. The only language in the game is some times soldiers will say "Unleash H***", but that's as bad as it gets.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBub Bidderskins September 21, 2009

Excellent Game

Rome: Total War is one of my favorite games of all time. Whether it be raiding the barbarian Gauls, battling huge war elephants in Carthage, or marching through the gates of Rome itself. A great game. There really are not any issues except the violence, which is really mild.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytear n it up April 9, 2008

Amazing Game

Wow, this is a great game. If you like ancient history and such, you will love this game. The battles are tight, and the map and turn play are sweet too. There is a good amount of violence, but nothing really bad. Very educational.
Teen, 15 years old Written byski123 April 9, 2008

wonderful game!

Rome Total War is a must-play for anyone who likes large battles and strategic gameplay. You even learn about the ancient civilizations during the campaign mode which is lots of fun. There is a full campaign mode where you have to take over the world and there are quick battles where you can just do the fights. Very fun game!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 July 31, 2014

Great game!

The best in the series (my personal opinion) this game and its expansion packs have great graphics and physics, and overall a easy to learn and fun play style. There is no blood and no stabbing, unlike many of its sequels, but still I wouldn't say its for small children. However, great game, a personal favourite.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGodsboy January 26, 2013

LEARNING

Rome Total War Review

It provides a good insight into the structure of the Roman army and how the Romans managed the populations of towns and cities. It also forces the player, of the game, to think logically and rationally in order to become the Dictator of the Roman Empire. Overall a nice educational game
Kid, 12 years old February 26, 2012

Veni, Vidi, 13+???

Total War is one of the best series of games, and I was raised on RTS (Real Time Strategy) with Age of Empires III and TBS (Turn Based Strategy) with Civilization IV. This game combines them. In the Imperial Campaign, you build an empire, but you can't stay peaceful for long. Sooner or later some faction (or you) will declare war on someone. You can choose to auto-resolve a battle or fight it out. If you fight it out, and are playing as a Roman faction, you will hear plenty of "Unleash He!!", but that was a real Roman War chant. This game is exellent for teaching history, and contrary to its name, you can play as many of the classical Mediterranian civilizations, not just the Romans.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTemplar_Frost January 4, 2012

Only one problem...

One reason that I gave it a 10 and up is because of the difficulty in this game. I'm 13 so I'm fine with the strategical/tactical stand points of the game, and gotten to the point of being very good at it too, but the difficulty of commanding an army in a battle can be difficult for little kiddies, (there is a difficulty setting though). But you will get good at it after a while. Another factor is the Imperial Campaign. This can be punishingly hard for newbies, because if you sit there and not do anything at all and not take any actions, (like raise taxes, or conquer cities) you will start to lose money, and when you lose money, you cant sustain your army, and so the Gauls, Greeks and Carthaginians will eat you up like a Turkey Sandwich. Also, one major violence issue is not the violence itself, but what it leaves over. The is no despawning mechanism for the corpses, so be prepared to see HUNDREDS of dead bodies to litter the battlefield. This was only made to make the game more realistic, but this might not be suitable for the little kiddies.
Teen, 16 years old Written byArchanos April 23, 2011

Only slightly violent.

Strategically the game is fantastic. If you play then there will be several positive influences. You could develop an instinct for geography. ("The Dacians were here, Damascus is here. etc.) You gain a sense of organization because of the numerous factors taken into account. (Did you know total war won an award for these games because they were so realistic.) Finally you will definetelly learn some history. It is more historically accurate than any game I have ever encountered. The battle scenes may be huge, they may result in hundred, maybe thousands of deaths, but graphically the game is fine. All in all the gameplay is fun, the values are fine, and the violence is nothing most can't handle.
Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2011

ROMA VITA! ROMA V-... Wait... 13 and up? Zuuuuh?

I bought this game when I was nine. Nine. Need I repeat? Nine! NINE! Honestly... It lost my interest for a while, but, after I began to understand strategy games, I realized that this is probably one of the best of them. Rome Total War combines a brilliant campaign, and excellent 1000 on 1000 soldier battles. The battles are nearly bloodless, the women and men wear totally full body armor, blows on the battle field can barely be seen... And you rate this 13 and up? My, my... Not a very strategic choice *wink wink*. I know! The strategists shall rise in arms! We shall fight for this beautiful game! And on the day of retribution, we shall say, nay, we shall shout, for Jupiter, Zeus, Anubis. Roma Vita. Roma Vita... Roma Vita! ROMA. VITA!!! Thanks for reading, and remember, Ceaser shall find the strategist haters.
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2010

its easyto play and their is no blood. you see the battles from a birdseye view and you can controol the whole army. it teaches kids to controll a whole army and it teaches good decision making. Also, you can controll towns so you have to learn how to run the town and its a fun game.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBobb April 9, 2008

Great game

One of the greatest games ever made, includes high educational value.
Teen, 15 years old Written byshredder787 April 9, 2008

This is a must play for all history obsessed nerds/geeks/gamers

This game was and is A-W-S-O-M-E the singplayer is high interaction sense you have to control texes building militay ETC. and each individual unit is a work of art and about 2 armies of 1000 works of art sent to fight eachother at high intensity, high strategy and high skill battles. The game doesn't even end when you beat the single player for the first time cause when you win you unlock even more factions to paly as and then when your done with single player you can try multiplayer and put your skills to the test. i give this game a 10 out of 10