All member reviews for Saints Row: The Third

Violent open-world crime adventure earns its mature rating.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Parent Written byBrian4782 May 23, 2012

LEARNING

IT'S FINE!!! NOT REALLY THAT BAD!!!

Being a parent myself, I was worried about this game. It was rated M. I've looked at the game and it's PERFECTLY FINE!!! It's based on stuff that couldn't really happen, (like shooting a icecream cone out of your gun or jumping out of a 10 story building and having the avatar go "THAT WAS ASUUUUM!!!" like they would live) You see, my kids are having alot of fun, and I havn't seen any so called "sexual conetent" that it talks of. The partial nudity.. seriously? Is a bikinii really that bad? Let's be honest, you see more nudity in a magazine store then in this game... Kid's are used to strong language and people in bikiniis for god sake. For the drug area? I havn't anything that has to do with drugs, other then buying a factory or something called "weed house". Lets be honest, in school kids are tought not to do drugs, so what won't they ever do? DRUGS. And the alchohol part. Let's be honest, all parents have been some what over in-toxicated at some point in there life. My point is, there really isn't much to worry about, because everything in this game, kids are exposed to already. I think we as parents, need to accept the fact that, while in are past we may not have been able to even SAY the word drug, the present generation is used to things as vulger as the F bomb, or entire nudity. (however nudity is never an issue in the game as far as i've seen) I think that kids should be able to get this game 10 and up, because i havn't seen any serious terms of any of the rating its been given.
Parent Written bylunaraa August 24, 2013

I can't help but wonder if the other reviewers actually played the game, and It makes me question their parenting skills.

This game is absolutely, POSITIVELY, NOT FOR KIDS. Violence and language are pervasive, but even more so is the game's sexual themes. About 4-5 hours in to the game, you get a weapon that is quite literally a giant, baseball bat sized sex toy in stunning detail. Shortly after, you participate in a mission which entails you barging into a BDSM sex club, interrogating people in the middle of private bdsm affairs - one gentleman asks you to beat him because he's been a bad boy, another is in a room with a scantily clad dominatrix and a machine which articulates a sex toy as well as many people wearing bondage suits, accompanied by all sorts of bondage equipment - restraints, whips, etc. At the end of the mission, you rescue a character who is a guy who talks like an autotuned T-pain, and when you find him he is wearing BDSM equipment, has a saddle on his back, and has a tail which is presumably another sex toy, as hinted at later by the news reporter on the radio. You escape with him in a cart pulled by a gimp, while fleeing from other gang members also in gimp-pulled carts. I had to rewrite this review to submit it because describing the details of the aforementioned scene were considered too extreme by the site. As an adult, I adore this game series. However, the notion of a child under the age of 18 playing this game is extremely disturbing. If you still think this is a kids game, child protective services needs to take your children from you.
Kid, 12 years old April 4, 2012

Im starting to get a little frustrated with esrb

Ok, here's a common scenario. A kid about 11 or 12 years old plays this game at his friends house. Then the kid asks his parents if he can have it because its super fun. The kids mom picks up the box, flops it over, and sees that there are 6 things next to the M rating and puts the game back before learning about it. BAD PARENT ALERT!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the stuff in this game that is bad can be avoided or didn't have an effect on children's thoughts or behavior. In this review I am going to tell you how you can avoid bad stuff in this game. Blood and Gore: There is no Gore but there is a little blood and its nothing that a kid hasn't seen before. Drug Reference: For all people who are stupid, drug reference means that you see people either doing drugs or talking about drugs. I'm pretty sure that all kids have had talks in school about why drugs are bad and this should not decide whether you let your kid get this game. Strong Language: Okay, this is probrally the worst thing about this game. There is some pretty bad language, but if your kid walks down a middle school hallway, they will hear worse language than what is in this game. What I'm trying to say is that kids hear this language every day and this game is nothing new to them. Partial Nudity: Your kid will see more nudity if they walk into a magazine shop. Intense Violence: This is a violent game, but your kid cant really be influenced to do the stuff depicted considering that half the stuff that people do in this game is humanly impossible. Sexual Content: Not much sexual content that I saw in this game. If your child does come across a bad cutscene they can always skip it. Also all nudity is censored so if you won't let your child get this game because of nudity and sexual content, then you are not allowing them to get a game because it has bikinis and censored nudity. Are you really that strict? All and all, my final word is that this is not grand theft auto. It is cartoony, has censored nudity, and no sexual content. If you still won't let your child get this game, then you are going insane.
Parent Written byItsGr8 December 30, 2011

Get It!

This game is great for all kids 12 years and up. There's a lot of violence but the sexual references are just cleavage and bikinis the language is bad but 12 year olds and over are exposed to that every day. If your child is under 12 NO but at 12 possibly 11 they'll no the difference between the game and reality.
Adult Written byKingDriveBoiz November 15, 2011

good

this games is only for teenagers 16 and older
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byDanielle72 March 25, 2012

Saints Row: The Third, for 13 and up!

Rated M for Blood and Gore, Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content, Strong Language. The Blood and gore is the same as Red Dead redemption so it just has a few drops and then the body disappears. Drug References are made about a character possibly be high because of his way of acting. The violence is mainly in the cut scenes where there are dramatic fights, but these can be skipped by the player. The Partial Nudity is shown in the trailer. It shows a bosses two assistants helping him takeover a base well dressed with a tight top, which appears to give her slightly more cleavage, but these Partial Nudity visualizations are only seen in the cut scenes. (e.g. tightly dressed women in gun fights). Now, the strong language is in the cut scene dialogue, which can happily be skipped by the player. there are some mild curse words in the free roam version of this game, but with the audio menu, you can turn of Free Roam Dialogue and have a curse free environment. If you have seen the trailer of this game, it uses the song Power by hip-hop artist Kanye West. It contains some curse words, and in fact the song itself has more curse words and frequent cursing than the actual game. I am a parent of two boys, 13 and 15, and I say this game is okay for anyone from 13-20 who enjoys running around in a free, open world environment and engage in fun activities like driving, flying and the occasional bank robbery. I just let my kids free roam at the moment. But I can say that if you get rid of the in game dialogue and skip cut scenes, it is a T+ Rated Game!
Parent of a 6, 8, and 9 year old Written byMHR75killsU January 7, 2013

Parents Should Be Mindful of This Game

Saint's Row The Third is a fun and over-the-top video game aimed at adults. It is definitely not recommended for kids. Several weapons cause human characters to be dismembered or obliterated. There is a weapon called the "Fart in a Jar" which causes all people caught in the blast to vomit. It has extreme sexual content for a video game. Several scenes feature S&M, sex toys, strippers, prostitutes, and drug dealers. The game puts a heavy emphasis (as the world does) on sex, money, & violence being the key to "cool" and "power". One of the weapons a player WILL acquire is a baseball bat-sized sex toy with a handle on it. Complete with details and realistic physics. Strong sexual content and sexually suggestive themes & images are prominent throughout the game. The characters in the game throw out f-bombs and several other "hardcore" swear words almost constantly. The game features an in-game radio which is common among games like this and Grand Theft Auto. Songs featured in the game are uncensored. This game along with most games does feature voice-chat with other online players. There are no content controls to help make this game more appropriate. Don't assume from watching someone play this for a few minutes that it is okay, if you let your child show you the game they are probably smart enough to know how to avoid the parts they think that you might disapprove of so be on-guard.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTruthAboutGames December 27, 2011

Saints Row: The Third, Remember It's Not Reality

I have recently purchased Saints Row: The Third after reading the rewiews on this website and I have deicied that I like this game. Even though I am not a violent person and I do not approve of "Gang-Banging" I this this game is a great way to releave stress and just have fun alone or with friends. Many parents precive this game as Grand Theft Auto but it is not. I feel this game is realitivly mild and if your child isin't a evil mad man that will do anything that he/she see's on T.V or on a Video Game this game should be fine. At times this game does get violent and a little bloddy you must realize this is only a game and not reality. Also at times the language does get out of hand, but if you tune it out it won't bother you. Also the sexual content said to be in this game is not really there, just some cleaveage from the women in the game. Shooting people, stealing cars, and taking over Steelport are the three main things this game has to offer. This game is fun, easy to play, and a good outlet for anger. Give it a try, you just might like it. I hope my review helped out.
Parent Written byRostrup August 20, 2013

Mature means mature

I see a lot of parents and adults saying this is a game that is ok for twelve year old kids to play. As a mid twenties gamer, this simply outrages me. The people giving these reviews clearly has not played the game to it's full extent. I can agree that the usual running and gunning is not very offensive, but you should really check the entire content of the game before you go out and say it's ok for kids to play. In one mission, you get drugged and sold as a sex slave. After which you run around naked while killing everything in your path. This scene ends with you escaping the area while riding in a chariot pulled by another sex slave while killing people with assault rifles. If you really think this is what is suitable for twelve year old kids, you are sadly mistaken. Other than this, the content, language and references throughout the game is not at all suitable for anyone else than adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyeahbuddydotcom November 16, 2011

This game is the best ive ever played.
Parent Written bycagg April 5, 2013

Parents beware!!!!

I just left my local video game store where I planned to buy this game for my 13 year old. I had a conversation with 3 staff people who explained that this is one of the most inappropriate games for kids/young teens -- worse than Grand Theft Auto. Because I had read most of the material on this website about this game, I was surprised to hear this. I just returned home and reread the official review and parent reviews here to see if I missed anything. I find that the parent review dated January 7, 2013 and titled "Parents should be mindful of this game" to be the most similar to what the game store staff told me, but the official commonsensemedia.org review and most of the other reviews do not indicate the severity of the sexual content of this game. We did NOT get this game and my 13 year old is mad, but I am glad that the staff warned me before I made this purchase. I wish I had learned this information from common sense media.org.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShafr0 December 10, 2011

Kids know what they are doing

Saints Row the Third was ment to be violet if you know you child you think he/she can handle it why not let him play it. If they start taking as a reality the take the game away for a week or something. The game is fine so what if it was partial nudity, drugs and alcohol and violence. Kid are exposed to these things everyday. What i am trying to say is that if you child tell you that he/she want they have probably looked it up on the internet and judged weather or not they like it. Its a great game people like and its almost like a therapist if you have had a bad day.
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byFrankVaughn June 8, 2013

Appropriate for 11 & UP

I think it is an appropriate game for ages 11 and up and doesn't contain strong anything.
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2012

Common Sense Media brought to you by Jack Thompson.

Okay, parents out there are probably thinking, “Oh my! It’s rated M for mature, so it HAS to be bad.” That’s completely wrong. First of all, you see blood everywhere. When you fall off your bike, you a shot, you get cut, movies, everywhere! The blood is as bad as in a PG-13 movie. The language, I have to admit, it’s bad. F#$%, s#@&, hell, d&%$, a$#, b%$@&, that’s kind of a problem. I’m guessing your kid isn’t going to swear just because some guy in a game does. They’ve heard all of them, right? If they haven’t, then I’m guessing they go to a private school and have no access to a TV. The drugs, well, of course kids won’t do drugs. At least ten times in my life the school has talked about drugs. Just because Mr.Thug does it, doesn’t mean your kid will do it. The nudity is about as bad as when you’re playing The Sims 3, and your Sim gets out of the tub or shower (Or if he has to wash himself with a sponge at the sink.) It’s all blurred out in a cartoony way. Now, if you think because you can steal a car in this game, kill people and cops, will your child do it? No, of course not. It’s a way to release anger. Would you rather have your kid take his/her anger out on a real person, instead of a bunch a pixels? I mean, it’s a screen, everything is pixels! And don’t listen to ESRB, they think everything is bad. Besides the language, if this were a movie, it would be PG-13. Instead of hiding your kid from pixels, let them see it. They aren’t going to go on a rampage (unless they have serious mental issues)
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheReviewHelper July 28, 2012

It's the parents misconception on Saints Row 3

Look. All the parents out there looking at this review are going to probably notice that it seems pretty harsh, but serious and fair. Yes, the game has some sexual content, but it has almost never shown up in the game. Prostitution is your choice. Your not forced to do anything. It is all the players choice. If you have ever been to any kind of dangerous neighborhood, then you have seen this game. It shows gangs, but their is a good message in that "Gang-Banging". Your killing the gangs and trying to stop them from taking over. SO really your trying to stop gang violence. Yes, there is some mild blood but if you have played any other M-rated content games, you have seen this before. Parents have a misconception on this game, thinking that this game is terrible and this game is a lot worse than GTA IV (Grand Theft Auto 4) and your wrong. Your just plain wrong about that misconception. GTA 1-4 are all WAY worse than this game. The swearing does only get out of hand when getting shot or cutscenes after a mission, but you can skip missions. I hope I helped, but this is your choice about the game. Not my fault about your thoughts about the game because I'm not in charge of you, and I can't be your conscience. The thing that I can say that this is game is about less violent and nothing like the average Grand Theft Auto. If you have ever played Grand Theft Auto, this game is should be nothing to you. The so called Common Sense Media people have no common sense. I bet they haven't even played this game before. I mean there is no nudity that isn't covered. If your the parent who is nervous about getting the game for your kid don't be. I mean everything that is nudity or "suggestive content" is covered up, and I myself have gone to other kids at my school's house's and they have the game. Their parents are fine with it, and 2, I have seen everything in the game. It's not like im defending a game I haven't seen before or even played before. I've played it almost every time I don't go straight home after school. The violence is covered up as far as nudity and sexual content. Their is actually NO sexual content unless you either make your character a girl, or decide to. Saints Row: The Third I would have to say is the game where their is the most misconception's on the game. The typical parent that has seen the trailer to the game would say of course, "No, have you seen the trailer?" Well, yes I have seen the trailer and played the game. Don't you think if the game was that bad, I would want it and even say, "You can watch and see what happens in the game if you want, because your not getting the fact that the reviews and the people your getting your trust from are WRONG." I have this so called "roommate" that is my friend, even though he is an adult. When I asked my mom can I get the game, he jumped in to look up the trailer and tell her to watch it. The trailer is FAR worse than the game. You don't have to do any of that stuff. If you played Grand Theft Auto just like all the reviews say, than you can handle this game like it's nothing. As long as you can tell us the kids, the difference from right and wrong for the kids that mirror things in the game, then we should be able to play it. If there is anything in the game that you don't want the kids to see then tell them that you shouldn't be watching things like that. Also, take it away if their starting to go through behavioral changes, like talking about killing anyone, simply TAKE IT AWAY. You don't have to just completely forget about letting them play it, and if they start changing in behavior than take it away until they start learning their mistakes, and not get the game period. AS LONG AS YOUR CHILD IS MATURE AND KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE THEY ARE FINE! I'm not in charge of your decision, but I can tell you one thing. Your misconception can make the child mad and ruin your relationship between the 2 of you. Just think about what I said about letting them get it and if they change, take it away until they change back. The violence is comical, and it isn't right to let your misconceptions lead you to making the kid not get the game, because of what you think. It's not you who would be playing it, so why would you be concerned. It shows you what happens when you get led into harmful things like gangs, or gang related friends. You need to think about this. All the things in this game are either comical or things that we go through almost everyday or simply everyday. I hope I changed your decision or misconception. It's the parents misconception on Saints Row The Third! Bye Bye :D
Parent Written byHerolegend August 25, 2013

Do you want to do the right thing?

Only a 16 year old would say its okay for either 16 year olds or below to play the game. No 18 year old or above in their right mind should say its okay for anyone below that age, I'm 34 years old no way would I let anyone under 18 play this game, I've been playing games for years, and I know how it can effect people of younger ages. I would recommend parents and adults to not get lazy and learn and earn their value in life before they start letting kids play a game that depicts violence, sex, nudity, blood, bad language, drinking alcohol and most of them being pushed high up on the scale. Do the right thing and wait for your kid to be of correct age, usually its the mind but there is no child under 17 that is mentally an adult. Really don't be lazy, don't let them play, at the very least 16 before you let them play this and that's still pushing it. Recommended age Adults only typically 18+ As an adult for many years now I like this game however It would be quite sad if governments start banning it over the world because of possible future incidents involving similar or the exact same practises from video games. Its happened before if you let kids play it will happen again its only a matter of time. Maybe not your child maybe someone else's child out there eventually somewhere some place it will happen, I've seen it happen too many times in the past.
Parent Written byJerry knows best July 2, 2012

Good for 12 and up

If your kid understands whats right and whats wrong then it should be fine too play. its not bad in the sex and nudity section and the violence isnt too bad. overall its not something your child sees every day.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

OK for kids 12+

i didn't get tis game yet, but on youtube i've seen some of the gameplay on this game! the only problem is the strong language, i'm 12 but I am mature enough to understand that using strong language is bad! once my whole family including my grandma went to see a PG-13 film and in the movie it said the F word!!! we were all shocked but i knew better! this game is good and cool! and there is no sex in this game! this game is actually pretty funny too! sometimes you would see people in bear costumes and you could even own stores and stuff. My dad says it's ok, he knows i'm not going to copy the violence and the strong language in this video game.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2013

It could just be a game where your kids can let their anger out!!

This game is very good. Sure, it has partial nudity and sex and strong language and drugs, but nothing children don't hear of on a daily basis. The nudity: children will walk in to a magazine store and would see more nudity in 3 or 4 magazines than 15 hours of playing this game! It may have a lot of violence, but even if you parents still disagree with me then you could still buy it so that your children can set their angers on stupid pixels every now and then and it's also such a fun game that your child would not be angry any more! It is an excellently well made game that is fine for kids 10 years and older.
Parent Written byKids In Mind 2012 March 18, 2012

Saints Row:The Third Is Not That Bad At All!

I Bought This Game For My 11 Year Old Son For Christmas,Like Other Parents,I Was Pretty Nervous So I Kept An Eye On Him While Playing It.But Personally I Think This Game Is A Real 12+ Game.I Mean Come On,This Site Has The Sexual Behaviour 4/5 If I Were Them I Would've Put 3/5 Because Of The Mission Where You Walk In To A Bar With People Dressed As Gimps And One Of Your "Homies" Zimos Is Addicted To Sex But If You Know Your Son/Daughter,It Will Fly Over Their Head. The Main Problem Other Parents Need To Know Is The Language.Like Many Video Games Such As Grand Theft Auto,It Has Continuous Strong Language Throughout. As For The Violence.Its Not Bad At All.Its Really Cartooney And Unrealistic.But Overall,Just Get To Know Your Kids Before Buying This.Its Not As Bad As It Seems So,Give This A Try Its Not That Bad.