All member reviews for Saints Row: The Third

Violent open-world crime adventure earns its mature rating.

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byDanielle72 March 25, 2012

Saints Row: The Third, for 13 and up!

Rated M for Blood and Gore, Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content, Strong Language. The Blood and gore is the same as Red Dead redemption so it just has a few drops and then the body disappears. Drug References are made about a character possibly be high because of his way of acting. The violence is mainly in the cut scenes where there are dramatic fights, but these can be skipped by the player. The Partial Nudity is shown in the trailer. It shows a bosses two assistants helping him takeover a base well dressed with a tight top, which appears to give her slightly more cleavage, but these Partial Nudity visualizations are only seen in the cut scenes. (e.g. tightly dressed women in gun fights). Now, the strong language is in the cut scene dialogue, which can happily be skipped by the player. there are some mild curse words in the free roam version of this game, but with the audio menu, you can turn of Free Roam Dialogue and have a curse free environment. If you have seen the trailer of this game, it uses the song Power by hip-hop artist Kanye West. It contains some curse words, and in fact the song itself has more curse words and frequent cursing than the actual game. I am a parent of two boys, 13 and 15, and I say this game is okay for anyone from 13-20 who enjoys running around in a free, open world environment and engage in fun activities like driving, flying and the occasional bank robbery. I just let my kids free roam at the moment. But I can say that if you get rid of the in game dialogue and skip cut scenes, it is a T+ Rated Game!
Parent Written byItsGr8 December 30, 2011

Get It!

This game is great for all kids 12 years and up. There's a lot of violence but the sexual references are just cleavage and bikinis the language is bad but 12 year olds and over are exposed to that every day. If your child is under 12 NO but at 12 possibly 11 they'll no the difference between the game and reality.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTruthAboutGames December 27, 2011

Saints Row: The Third, Remember It's Not Reality

I have recently purchased Saints Row: The Third after reading the rewiews on this website and I have deicied that I like this game. Even though I am not a violent person and I do not approve of "Gang-Banging" I this this game is a great way to releave stress and just have fun alone or with friends. Many parents precive this game as Grand Theft Auto but it is not. I feel this game is realitivly mild and if your child isin't a evil mad man that will do anything that he/she see's on T.V or on a Video Game this game should be fine. At times this game does get violent and a little bloddy you must realize this is only a game and not reality. Also at times the language does get out of hand, but if you tune it out it won't bother you. Also the sexual content said to be in this game is not really there, just some cleaveage from the women in the game. Shooting people, stealing cars, and taking over Steelport are the three main things this game has to offer. This game is fun, easy to play, and a good outlet for anger. Give it a try, you just might like it. I hope my review helped out.
Adult Written byKingDriveBoiz November 15, 2011

good

this games is only for teenagers 16 and older
Parent Written byRostrup August 20, 2013

Mature means mature

I see a lot of parents and adults saying this is a game that is ok for twelve year old kids to play. As a mid twenties gamer, this simply outrages me. The people giving these reviews clearly has not played the game to it's full extent. I can agree that the usual running and gunning is not very offensive, but you should really check the entire content of the game before you go out and say it's ok for kids to play. In one mission, you get drugged and sold as a sex slave. After which you run around naked while killing everything in your path. This scene ends with you escaping the area while riding in a chariot pulled by another sex slave while killing people with assault rifles. If you really think this is what is suitable for twelve year old kids, you are sadly mistaken. Other than this, the content, language and references throughout the game is not at all suitable for anyone else than adults.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 9 year old Written byMHR75killsU January 7, 2013

Parents Should Be Mindful of This Game

Saint's Row The Third is a fun and over-the-top video game aimed at adults. It is definitely not recommended for kids. Several weapons cause human characters to be dismembered or obliterated. There is a weapon called the "Fart in a Jar" which causes all people caught in the blast to vomit. It has extreme sexual content for a video game. Several scenes feature S&M, sex toys, strippers, prostitutes, and drug dealers. The game puts a heavy emphasis (as the world does) on sex, money, & violence being the key to "cool" and "power". One of the weapons a player WILL acquire is a baseball bat-sized sex toy with a handle on it. Complete with details and realistic physics. Strong sexual content and sexually suggestive themes & images are prominent throughout the game. The characters in the game throw out f-bombs and several other "hardcore" swear words almost constantly. The game features an in-game radio which is common among games like this and Grand Theft Auto. Songs featured in the game are uncensored. This game along with most games does feature voice-chat with other online players. There are no content controls to help make this game more appropriate. Don't assume from watching someone play this for a few minutes that it is okay, if you let your child show you the game they are probably smart enough to know how to avoid the parts they think that you might disapprove of so be on-guard.
Parent Written bycagg April 5, 2013

Parents beware!!!!

I just left my local video game store where I planned to buy this game for my 13 year old. I had a conversation with 3 staff people who explained that this is one of the most inappropriate games for kids/young teens -- worse than Grand Theft Auto. Because I had read most of the material on this website about this game, I was surprised to hear this. I just returned home and reread the official review and parent reviews here to see if I missed anything. I find that the parent review dated January 7, 2013 and titled "Parents should be mindful of this game" to be the most similar to what the game store staff told me, but the official commonsensemedia.org review and most of the other reviews do not indicate the severity of the sexual content of this game. We did NOT get this game and my 13 year old is mad, but I am glad that the staff warned me before I made this purchase. I wish I had learned this information from common sense media.org.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyeahbuddydotcom November 16, 2011

This game is the best ive ever played.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShafr0 December 10, 2011

Kids know what they are doing

Saints Row the Third was ment to be violet if you know you child you think he/she can handle it why not let him play it. If they start taking as a reality the take the game away for a week or something. The game is fine so what if it was partial nudity, drugs and alcohol and violence. Kid are exposed to these things everyday. What i am trying to say is that if you child tell you that he/she want they have probably looked it up on the internet and judged weather or not they like it. Its a great game people like and its almost like a therapist if you have had a bad day.
Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byFrankVaughn June 8, 2013

Appropriate for 11 & UP

I think it is an appropriate game for ages 11 and up and doesn't contain strong anything.
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2012

Common Sense Media brought to you by Jack Thompson.

Okay, parents out there are probably thinking, “Oh my! It’s rated M for mature, so it HAS to be bad.” That’s completely wrong. First of all, you see blood everywhere. When you fall off your bike, you a shot, you get cut, movies, everywhere! The blood is as bad as in a PG-13 movie. The language, I have to admit, it’s bad. F#$%, s#@&, hell, d&%$, a$#, b%$@&, that’s kind of a problem. I’m guessing your kid isn’t going to swear just because some guy in a game does. They’ve heard all of them, right? If they haven’t, then I’m guessing they go to a private school and have no access to a TV. The drugs, well, of course kids won’t do drugs. At least ten times in my life the school has talked about drugs. Just because Mr.Thug does it, doesn’t mean your kid will do it. The nudity is about as bad as when you’re playing The Sims 3, and your Sim gets out of the tub or shower (Or if he has to wash himself with a sponge at the sink.) It’s all blurred out in a cartoony way. Now, if you think because you can steal a car in this game, kill people and cops, will your child do it? No, of course not. It’s a way to release anger. Would you rather have your kid take his/her anger out on a real person, instead of a bunch a pixels? I mean, it’s a screen, everything is pixels! And don’t listen to ESRB, they think everything is bad. Besides the language, if this were a movie, it would be PG-13. Instead of hiding your kid from pixels, let them see it. They aren’t going to go on a rampage (unless they have serious mental issues)
Parent Written byHerolegend August 25, 2013

Do you want to do the right thing?

Only a 16 year old would say its okay for either 16 year olds or below to play the game. No 18 year old or above in their right mind should say its okay for anyone below that age, I'm 34 years old no way would I let anyone under 18 play this game, I've been playing games for years, and I know how it can effect people of younger ages. I would recommend parents and adults to not get lazy and learn and earn their value in life before they start letting kids play a game that depicts violence, sex, nudity, blood, bad language, drinking alcohol and most of them being pushed high up on the scale. Do the right thing and wait for your kid to be of correct age, usually its the mind but there is no child under 17 that is mentally an adult. Really don't be lazy, don't let them play, at the very least 16 before you let them play this and that's still pushing it. Recommended age Adults only typically 18+ As an adult for many years now I like this game however It would be quite sad if governments start banning it over the world because of possible future incidents involving similar or the exact same practises from video games. Its happened before if you let kids play it will happen again its only a matter of time. Maybe not your child maybe someone else's child out there eventually somewhere some place it will happen, I've seen it happen too many times in the past.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2013

It could just be a game where your kids can let their anger out!!

This game is very good. Sure, it has partial nudity and sex and strong language and drugs, but nothing children don't hear of on a daily basis. The nudity: children will walk in to a magazine store and would see more nudity in 3 or 4 magazines than 15 hours of playing this game! It may have a lot of violence, but even if you parents still disagree with me then you could still buy it so that your children can set their angers on stupid pixels every now and then and it's also such a fun game that your child would not be angry any more! It is an excellently well made game that is fine for kids 10 years and older.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCowRug1024 October 27, 2012

Its not a bad game!

Its not that bad. Parents need to stop being over-protective.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur December 26, 2012

this is a fun crime action gangster thriller game

saints row 3 is amazing, it has tons of crazy action, tons of blood, guts, and gore, and tons of hard rock, heavy metal, and rap music to fit the mood, and this is thoroughly a guy's game because of it being about gangsters and gang rivalries and the constant bloody shootouts, extreme gore, and stuff getting blown up
Teen, 13 years old Written bySubmarine Bullet June 8, 2012

Saints Row The Third

First off, if you don't want your child to see violence, then stop reading now because the whole game is mainly violence with guns and "bats". And you get a range of different weapons and gadgets throughout the game. There's a lot of language in the game, but are said to be funny. Then there is the sex. You see girls in a bikini most of the time. You also can go naked, but they censor it. And yes, one of your weapons is a gaint purple d**** bat, but then again it's put in there to be funny. So, can you really trust your child playing this game.
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byGraham R October 11, 2014

Don't worry fellow parents, this game is great for ages 10+

I would hardly rate this game a 12+. I don't normally let my kids have 12+ games until they become 12, but when my son was at his friend's house he was playing it. He really wanted the game, so I played it the whole way through. I was surprised at the lack of any inappropriate content throughout the game; the only problem I saw with it was the mild cartoon violence, which you would expect from any PG rated film. It also helps with learning the value of money, as one must work hard for everything and my son learned to do chores around the house for money soon after I purchased the game.
Parent Written byJerry knows best July 2, 2012

LEARNING

Good for 12 and up

If your kid understands whats right and whats wrong then it should be fine too play. its not bad in the sex and nudity section and the violence isnt too bad. overall its not something your child sees every day.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytrex4444 June 10, 2012

LEARNING

sants row 3 not bad

it is good for learning map skills but set guide lines and make sure you don't let your kids know it only bad if they start doing it and start thanking it is good to do
Parent Written byKids In Mind 2012 March 18, 2012

Saints Row:The Third Is Not That Bad At All!

I Bought This Game For My 11 Year Old Son For Christmas,Like Other Parents,I Was Pretty Nervous So I Kept An Eye On Him While Playing It.But Personally I Think This Game Is A Real 12+ Game.I Mean Come On,This Site Has The Sexual Behaviour 4/5 If I Were Them I Would've Put 3/5 Because Of The Mission Where You Walk In To A Bar With People Dressed As Gimps And One Of Your "Homies" Zimos Is Addicted To Sex But If You Know Your Son/Daughter,It Will Fly Over Their Head. The Main Problem Other Parents Need To Know Is The Language.Like Many Video Games Such As Grand Theft Auto,It Has Continuous Strong Language Throughout. As For The Violence.Its Not Bad At All.Its Really Cartooney And Unrealistic.But Overall,Just Get To Know Your Kids Before Buying This.Its Not As Bad As It Seems So,Give This A Try Its Not That Bad.