All member reviews for Shadow of the Colossus

Dark, brooding masterpiece is best for teens.

Adult Written bytstreib February 23, 2009

Truely Amazing

I just had to own this game, the beautiful artwork and graphics took me in awe. I just love the mysteries and puzzles the game provided. The huge 16 beasts are truely amazing and find them haunting my dreams. This game has made a big impact on my imagination and can't wait to see more games like this. If not, I will create my own along the same lines but different storyline of course.

It's O.K.

Good but the Storyline is REALLY lame. And this game is alittle bit dark too. Violence is the only thing on CSM's list that is implied.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShankmaster77 June 4, 2011

The issues about this game are not true.

Okay, which parents said that sex and language were an issue? There is absolutely no sexual content in this game and the only female is dead for most of the game. Perhaps the word d****d is used, not sure I remember, but that is used for the actual meaning of the word, that someone is condemned to h*** or the underworld. By the way, ignore the alerts of cursing, consumerism, drinking, and privacy issues, I clicked them by accident and the site won't let me un- click them
Adult Written byvoiceofreason April 9, 2008

Adult Written byrxcort May 2, 2011

Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written bySeven Won August 5, 2009

An outstanding achievement in video game design.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the most brilliant games to date. Graphics, sound and gameplay are outstanding, and those that say there was no storyline unfortunately didn't get it. It's varied messages are powerful, as it transcends typical good and evil, or saving the princess plot. What we see is the hero, alone with his horse and a body of a woman. He comes to a land where no humans live, but are guarded by large creatures, some the size of 12 story buildings. The woman is somehow cursed, and he is here to resurrect her. For the first and second parts of the game, we are told very little, focusing on the protagonist and his enemy. But is his enemy evil, or is the character that we play there for his own greed, killing these wonders? Is he here for something much bigger than him? We don't know until the very end, and when it comes, it's much more surprising than anything you could have ever imagined. There will be a divergence of thought as to the how and why. And don't get me started on that horse. Agro is Wander's (our hero) horse, and he is simply amazing. He is big, he is fast, and is the single most agreeable, naturally acting animal I have ever seen in a video game. And I don't even like horses. There is something near the end that Agro does with Wander that will stay with you forever. It's an awe inspiring scene, though a bit sad. I'm not going to ruin anything for you. If you consider yourself a gamer, or even a passing one, and you want to see how far a game can go without a machine gun, space marines, and thousands of characters ad nauseum this is the perfect game. IT does require a bit of thought on your part. The story is not handed to you in a neat little package Hollywood style. Ico was the game that came out before this, and it was told with a minimalist style, much like this one. There are echos of the bible, such as a forbidden land, the possible voice of (a) god, life after death, & prayer. You are welcome to interpret several ideas and story events, but you will be handsomely rewarded if you pay attention to small details. SOTC received over 17 awards, including Best Character Design, Best Game Design, Best Visual Arts and Game of the Year. The music also received awards and recognition, and remember Agro? He got "the best sidekick in the history of video games". I wasn't kidding you about him. I don't know how many times I should say it. This game changed the way I view games as a whole. Consequences to my actions, forcing me to make me think about what I'm doing, making me feel more in touch with the character(s) I see on the screen, & giving me unique perspectives on situations that go well beyond a typical story line is not what I expected, but that's what I got. If you play this with your child, (as I did) expect some pretty incredible discussions, if you let it.
Adult Written byzelda dude April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bybragoandcheri April 9, 2008

Much violence, But behavior makes up for it...

This game, first off, is a great masterpiece from the creators of ICO. But the violence level in this game maybe be a bit too much for some gamers... But the behavior of the main character makes up for it... I mean, destroying these behemoths for the love of his life? Nuff said... Great game, with an ending to leave you reeling!
Teen, 16 years old Written byricharddl8 August 17, 2010

Good for 13 years and up

amazing and great game for slightly more mature audiences. when stabbbing a colossi black blood shoots and squirts out everywhere, there is also one scene where the main character gets stabbed, there are also some frightening creatures and areas that even me a 15 year old was frightened by.... but other than thos few points its amazing! Shadow of the colosuss is a masterpeice that takes gaming into an entirely different level! =)
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubberducky7 June 25, 2010

I love this game, for starters, it is an extremely fun and well made game, and every single fight is like a boss battle from Zelda also it has a bunch of symbolic stuff and messages. There is slight violence, when you stab the creatures black stuff comes out, but its hard to tell wether its a liquid or a gas. The message is positive, however the role model is not, he very selfishly kills 16 majestic collosi, who would normally be immortal, just to bring his love back to life. *SPOILERS* At the end it turns out that he had actually been working for an evil omnipitant monster, whose soul had been split and kept protected in each of the collosi, and if the Wanderer got his power back by killing the collosi he'd bring the girl back to life. In the end after all the collosi had been killed the evil monster posseses the Wanderer and makes him grow huge, you then fight the "good guys" trying to stop the monster, but they eventualy win, and suck you into a giant portal. *END OF SPOILERS* Anyway my main concern is that for anyone less than 11 it may be too hard, it takes alot of patience, skill, and puzzle solving, to climb all the way up to their weak spot (most of them are about 150 feet tall), which may be very frustrating to 10 and younger
Adult Written byLocke April 9, 2008

The Best Game I've Ever Played!

This game can be summed up with one word: fantastic! No other game for the PS2 comes close. The graphics are about as good as it gets on the PS2 and the story is very intriguing. The fights are excellent. Even if you only have 16 of them, it's great. The soundtrack is also very well done. I would recommend this game to anyone anywhere who enjoys a good video game.
Teen, 16 years old Written byquantumleap42 June 22, 2011

GORGEOUS!

This is truly a beautiful game. The music is beautiful, the scenery is gorgeous, the gameplay is very "real," and the colossi are just scary enough to not be too scary. The entire game is spent finding the colossi in this peaceful world, and then killing them, so there's a good balance between running around peacefully and trying not to be crushed by giant beasts. It's overall a gorgeous game, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2011

Great Game

It is a great game and I love riding the horse around (sadly my triangle button broke.). i love it but I never find the collosus and always find myself running in a huge circle.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPS3FTW August 28, 2009

An artsy masterpiece.

One of those games that you could play ten times and never get tired of it. SOTC doesn't have an obvious storyline. You don't even know the main character's name, why you're trying to kill these giants, or where in the world you are! Ok, now that I got the negatives out of the way, here come the positives. This game requires a sharp eye and quick thinking to figure out ow to climb up you're opponents and hit vulnerable points. If you haven;t already, I would recomend an onling walkthrough, because this game can get immensly frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. What this game doesn't have in storyline, it makes up for in gameplay and a beautiful atmosphere. I would say to anyone who wants this, get ASAP.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLink101 April 9, 2008

For Any RPG Fan

Shadow of the Colossus is a must have. It submerges you into a quiet and spectacular world. Playing as a character named Wander you go around this beautiful land destroying gigantic and magestic creatures to reincarnate a women. When you win you feel good but bad because this giant Colussi didn't do anything to you but you killed them. Not very much violence. The ending does leave you hanging a bit.

Adult Written bydogboy April 9, 2008

Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2010

Truly a masterpiece.

This is officially the most meaningful game I have played in my entire life. The main character's love for the girl, his beautiful friendship with his horse Agro. And a plot that leaves you guessing until it sums it all up at the very end. Though most kids will not appreciate the true beauty of this game. I certainly do. Without wishing to spoil anything for you, I can officially say that this is not a game. It is a piece of art. Lovely.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywyvern986 December 4, 2009

Shadow of the Colossus

This is one of those games that some people will never understand and others will love immediately. It is a beautiful game. I'm not just talking graphics either (which are far ahead of its time), this game has a plot that can easily be forgotten, but that is the beauty of it! The plot doesn't matter! All that matters is the sense of freedom when galloping around the vast fields, deserts, and forrest with hardly anything on the screen (like life bars, etc.) obstructing your view, the bonding between horse and man, the sixteen giant colossi that all need to be taken down in different ways, even the sense of guilt the player is left with adter taking a colossi down (because they are mostly submissive and peaceful) is beautiful. I've beaten this game two and a half times and am still not tired of it. Appropriate for all ages, I recommend this game for Zelda fans and artsy people who can respect games like this.
Adult Written byNate1 April 9, 2008

I absolutly loved it

The game has many different amazing aspects. Such as the loneliness and friendship you share with your horse.