All member reviews for Shadow of the Colossus

Dark, brooding masterpiece is best for teens.

Kid, 12 years old June 21, 2014

powerful game with some violence.

Okay this game starts with beautiful and wonderful opening scene where are disparate hero riding his trusty horse arrow. The game starts when you met Dormain the spirt that tells you your quest. Wanda (are hero) wants to bring his maiden back to life after she sacrifices her soul to save a village or some thing like that. Any way the spirt tells you he'll bring back your sweetheart if you kill the 16 colossi holding back his power, Wanda disparately agrees. So you go and slay 16 mostly HUGE colossi. It's pretty obvious that Dormain is playing you for a fool, but what would you do in Wanda's position? It's games like this that challenge your morals and makes you feel like more than just a gamer. So as for the violence, the colossi do bleed when you hit there weak points, the blood looks more gasoline in a gaseous state. The colossus look more ape like than human, and some like, bulls, snakes, horses, loins, ext. ext. and there is one part were a man gets stabbed, but not out of your characters or the players free will.
Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2010

Truly a masterpiece.

This is officially the most meaningful game I have played in my entire life. The main character's love for the girl, his beautiful friendship with his horse Agro. And a plot that leaves you guessing until it sums it all up at the very end. Though most kids will not appreciate the true beauty of this game. I certainly do. Without wishing to spoil anything for you, I can officially say that this is not a game. It is a piece of art. Lovely.
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2011

Great Game

It is a great game and I love riding the horse around (sadly my triangle button broke.). i love it but I never find the collosus and always find myself running in a huge circle.
Teen, 16 years old Written byquantumleap42 June 22, 2011

GORGEOUS!

This is truly a beautiful game. The music is beautiful, the scenery is gorgeous, the gameplay is very "real," and the colossi are just scary enough to not be too scary. The entire game is spent finding the colossi in this peaceful world, and then killing them, so there's a good balance between running around peacefully and trying not to be crushed by giant beasts. It's overall a gorgeous game, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Teen, 16 years old Written byricharddl8 August 17, 2010

Good for 13 years and up

amazing and great game for slightly more mature audiences. when stabbbing a colossi black blood shoots and squirts out everywhere, there is also one scene where the main character gets stabbed, there are also some frightening creatures and areas that even me a 15 year old was frightened by.... but other than thos few points its amazing! Shadow of the colosuss is a masterpeice that takes gaming into an entirely different level! =)
Teen, 13 years old Written byRubberducky7 June 25, 2010

I love this game, for starters, it is an extremely fun and well made game, and every single fight is like a boss battle from Zelda also it has a bunch of symbolic stuff and messages. There is slight violence, when you stab the creatures black stuff comes out, but its hard to tell wether its a liquid or a gas. The message is positive, however the role model is not, he very selfishly kills 16 majestic collosi, who would normally be immortal, just to bring his love back to life. *SPOILERS* At the end it turns out that he had actually been working for an evil omnipitant monster, whose soul had been split and kept protected in each of the collosi, and if the Wanderer got his power back by killing the collosi he'd bring the girl back to life. In the end after all the collosi had been killed the evil monster posseses the Wanderer and makes him grow huge, you then fight the "good guys" trying to stop the monster, but they eventualy win, and suck you into a giant portal. *END OF SPOILERS* Anyway my main concern is that for anyone less than 11 it may be too hard, it takes alot of patience, skill, and puzzle solving, to climb all the way up to their weak spot (most of them are about 150 feet tall), which may be very frustrating to 10 and younger
Adult Written bytstreib February 23, 2009

Truely Amazing

I just had to own this game, the beautiful artwork and graphics took me in awe. I just love the mysteries and puzzles the game provided. The huge 16 beasts are truely amazing and find them haunting my dreams. This game has made a big impact on my imagination and can't wait to see more games like this. If not, I will create my own along the same lines but different storyline of course.

It's O.K.

Good but the Storyline is REALLY lame. And this game is alittle bit dark too. Violence is the only thing on CSM's list that is implied.
Adult Written bydogboy April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byTrueCommonSense May 31, 2014

Dark masterpiece is not for everyone

... especially not for a transformers or Call of Duty fan. While the violence on screen is ok, emotions and atmosphere are tough even for an adult. Also, the ending is... I'll just say it's powerfull. The game itself is one of the best titles ever. Also, it's the same art as your Shakespear. Everyone who considers himself as a mature man should play this, i swear you won't forget that journey for years.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytehBrony July 28, 2013

The Most BRILLIANT Game I've Ever Played (and that's out of a lot)

If there were a more sad, brilliant, artsy, innovative, brilliant, not to mention BRILLIANT game on the market, it would have to be the most amazing game ever. This game is beautiful, and it brought me to tears three times. The loneliness of Wander is shown by the isolation, flushed colors, emptiness, and destroyed temple. The colossi are brilliantly made. They are slow and non-aggressive at first, then they even become aggressive. It is sad through and through, and COMPLETELY unpredictable, up till the very end. The foreshadowing is brilliant. The replay value is really high, as you WILL want to experience the sadness and loneliness again. And I love how Wander is willing to do ANYTHING for his lover. This is a game appropriate enough for all ages, even if they don't understand the theme.
Adult Written byYogiBear93 May 3, 2012

Great experience for gamers who are old enough to understand the themes involved

I think that this game is totally amazing. The game revolves around killing the Colossi but thatis only part of the experience. When playing this game a player cannot help but become emotionally involved in the quest that wander undertakes. As he moves across this large world in silence as he completes amazing feats in the hope of somehow saving his princess.
Kid, 12 years old February 27, 2012

Great graphics, great gameplay, GREAT GAME!

This is an original, interesting and just plain amazing game! From the landscapes to the giant colossi that you have to fight, it gives the game a lonely yet powerful feel. You spend most your time traveling between the colossi that you battle, which is the main point of the game. The only thing is that to destroy a colossus, you have to stab them in their weak spot, and when you stab them, a burst of black blood pours out of them for a short time. This isn't a big deal though, but probably the reason it's rated T. Overall, a great game and if your kid wants to get it, BUY IT! You will not be disappointed.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypitatron February 11, 2012

BEST PS2 GAME EVER!!!!!

Shadow of the Colossus is an expirience not to missed. I would classify it as a puzzle game, rather than an action game. The violence is pretty mild, especially when the idea of the game is to stab a giant to death. This game requires you to use your environment, and skills to defeat 16 giants. To kill them you have to get on them and stab a glowing symbole until they die. May sound simple, but gets very complicated at times. There is no enemies in this game, just 16 bosses. The only way to die getting hit enough or falling. The blood is black and erupts like a small volcano when you stab them, but it looks pretty unrealistic. There is no gore, except damaging armor or plating on the giants. The only problem that I can see is the very dark under tone of this game. Its story is simple, but very confusing at the end. It deals with evil spirits and people getting possessed and an ending sure to leave you with questions. The only reason I say this should be for 13 and up is because how dark it is and its confusing puzzle boss battles that no ordinary kid could figure out. If your allowed defineatly pick it, it is usually cheap(like around $10) and is the best Ps2 game, so check it out!
Teen, 14 years old Written byShankmaster77 June 4, 2011

The issues about this game are not true.

Okay, which parents said that sex and language were an issue? There is absolutely no sexual content in this game and the only female is dead for most of the game. Perhaps the word d****d is used, not sure I remember, but that is used for the actual meaning of the word, that someone is condemned to h*** or the underworld. By the way, ignore the alerts of cursing, consumerism, drinking, and privacy issues, I clicked them by accident and the site won't let me un- click them
Adult Written byrxcort May 2, 2011

Teen, 15 years old Written bywyvern986 December 4, 2009

Shadow of the Colossus

This is one of those games that some people will never understand and others will love immediately. It is a beautiful game. I'm not just talking graphics either (which are far ahead of its time), this game has a plot that can easily be forgotten, but that is the beauty of it! The plot doesn't matter! All that matters is the sense of freedom when galloping around the vast fields, deserts, and forrest with hardly anything on the screen (like life bars, etc.) obstructing your view, the bonding between horse and man, the sixteen giant colossi that all need to be taken down in different ways, even the sense of guilt the player is left with adter taking a colossi down (because they are mostly submissive and peaceful) is beautiful. I've beaten this game two and a half times and am still not tired of it. Appropriate for all ages, I recommend this game for Zelda fans and artsy people who can respect games like this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPS3FTW August 28, 2009

An artsy masterpiece.

One of those games that you could play ten times and never get tired of it. SOTC doesn't have an obvious storyline. You don't even know the main character's name, why you're trying to kill these giants, or where in the world you are! Ok, now that I got the negatives out of the way, here come the positives. This game requires a sharp eye and quick thinking to figure out ow to climb up you're opponents and hit vulnerable points. If you haven;t already, I would recomend an onling walkthrough, because this game can get immensly frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. What this game doesn't have in storyline, it makes up for in gameplay and a beautiful atmosphere. I would say to anyone who wants this, get ASAP.
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written bySeven Won August 5, 2009

An outstanding achievement in video game design.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the most brilliant games to date. Graphics, sound and gameplay are outstanding, and those that say there was no storyline unfortunately didn't get it. It's varied messages are powerful, as it transcends typical good and evil, or saving the princess plot. What we see is the hero, alone with his horse and a body of a woman. He comes to a land where no humans live, but are guarded by large creatures, some the size of 12 story buildings. The woman is somehow cursed, and he is here to resurrect her. For the first and second parts of the game, we are told very little, focusing on the protagonist and his enemy. But is his enemy evil, or is the character that we play there for his own greed, killing these wonders? Is he here for something much bigger than him? We don't know until the very end, and when it comes, it's much more surprising than anything you could have ever imagined. There will be a divergence of thought as to the how and why. And don't get me started on that horse. Agro is Wander's (our hero) horse, and he is simply amazing. He is big, he is fast, and is the single most agreeable, naturally acting animal I have ever seen in a video game. And I don't even like horses. There is something near the end that Agro does with Wander that will stay with you forever. It's an awe inspiring scene, though a bit sad. I'm not going to ruin anything for you. If you consider yourself a gamer, or even a passing one, and you want to see how far a game can go without a machine gun, space marines, and thousands of characters ad nauseum this is the perfect game. IT does require a bit of thought on your part. The story is not handed to you in a neat little package Hollywood style. Ico was the game that came out before this, and it was told with a minimalist style, much like this one. There are echos of the bible, such as a forbidden land, the possible voice of (a) god, life after death, & prayer. You are welcome to interpret several ideas and story events, but you will be handsomely rewarded if you pay attention to small details. SOTC received over 17 awards, including Best Character Design, Best Game Design, Best Visual Arts and Game of the Year. The music also received awards and recognition, and remember Agro? He got "the best sidekick in the history of video games". I wasn't kidding you about him. I don't know how many times I should say it. This game changed the way I view games as a whole. Consequences to my actions, forcing me to make me think about what I'm doing, making me feel more in touch with the character(s) I see on the screen, & giving me unique perspectives on situations that go well beyond a typical story line is not what I expected, but that's what I got. If you play this with your child, (as I did) expect some pretty incredible discussions, if you let it.
Adult Written byvoiceofreason April 9, 2008