All member reviews for Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

M-rated DS game that's definitely not for kids - sci-fi RPG.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 15 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 October 20, 2011

Great sci-fi RPG with mature themes. Lots of blood.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 March 2, 2012

Great game for sci-fi lovers.

As I love sci fi games and mature rated games,I knew this was a awesome buy and so I got it from GameStop for my DS.It was also a good idea,since there are very few M rated DS games and I was running out of games to play. There is lots of weird,science fiction type bizarre violence and tons of blood.All I can say is,this is sure one f*cked up Shin Megami game.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity March 25, 2010

Like other MegaTen games, more mature in theme than in content. Excellent, excellent dungeon-crawler.

Yes, this is an M-rated game, but, as with other entries in the Shin Megami Tensei series (look at Persona 3 and 4, as well as Nocturne), the Mature rating is undeserving. The M rating is there simply because some demons are partially nude (and it's not even detailed nudity) or look phallic, and the profiles of demons sometimes include sexual references, but this is nothing a teen couldn't handle. However, the themes in Strange Journey (such as global warming, death in battle, "red light" districts, and so on) are pretty touchy subjects. I wouldn't say "No Kids", though. Anyways, enough about the rating. The story seems pretty basic at first: 100 years in the future, there's a hole in the South Pole called the Schwarzwelt, and your job is to explore it. You soon learn that there are close to 300 types of demon that you must fight. Needless to say, this is an excellent game. Atlus really knows how to make insanely hard (but fun) dungeon crawlers, and Strange Journey really makes up for the short length of Devil Survivor with a (supposed) 100-hour length. I also really like the demon summoning system in this MegaTen much more than the others. Once again, the content is much more on the Teen side than Mature. Violence is simple turn-based RPG combat; not too bad. Blood is shown sometimes, but in sprite form. The strongest word used is "sh*t"; other milder words, such as "godd*mn", "a**hole" and such are used. And, as I said before, the sexual themes, while nothing to worry about, are the reason this game's rated Mature (besides the overall maturity required to appreciate this game). Overall, if you like MegaTen games or dungeon crawlers, this is a Strange Journey you ought to take. And it isn't as bad as other M-rated fare.