All member reviews for Sid Meier's Civilization V

Excellent strategy game is educational and accessible.

Adult Written bymikhailk April 19, 2012

Civilization V - incredibly fun, and highly educational

Civilization V is a stunningly enjoyable game which has the potential to inspire people of all ages to learn more about history. Although it does not present an accurate portrayal of historical events (as it allows each player to choose their own path), it presents the course of human history and civilization as a fascinating journey. Even more importantly, the emphasis it places on long-term strategic thinking and planning promotes strong development of decision-making and reasoning skills. Although the game does not present a specific sense of morality, this ambiguity allows players to think intelligently about the choices they make and the real impact those choices will have on their virtual subjects. This might be lost on younger players, but it's a great idea to talk about this with older, thoughtful children. In many senses, this game is a lot like chess for the twenty-first century. People play it as entertainment, not to learn, but while playing Civilization V, learning is almost unavoidable, even if you don't notice because you're having too much fun. Although I rated the game as being appropriate for anybody over the age of 8, that's a reference to the content, not the difficulty. Even on the easiest setting, the game will most likely be too difficult for most children under the age of twelve or so, unless an older player helps them as they learn the game. The game can be violent in a sense, but roughly in the same sense that chess is violent: in chess, you move pieces from one tile to another on the game board, taking over the territory that your opponent's pieces once occupied. Although the combat in Civilization V is dressed up with fancier graphics and some sound effects, it's relatively abstract like chess, as though you're moving a token on a game board. In summation, Civilization V is loads of fun, and also a genuinely positive experience, challenging players to engage in creative planning, weighing priorities, calculating risks, adapting to changing scenarios, and considering the morality of their actions. I have been playing the Civilization series of computer games since I was a child, and it took me decades to realize just how much I was learning from it. The beauty is, you don't learn facts - you learn how to *think*, and that's the most important type of learning there is.
Parent Written bykirka October 25, 2014

Wonderfully mulitfaceted

Civilization V, much like many games of today, has benefited immensely from the improvements the add-ons have provided. With Gods & Kings and Brave New World, the game is much more challenging and now provides the player with several different paths to choose from. Gratis Games The map packs are, I would argue, a little redundant with all the user made mods and map packs out there, but all in all, the complete edition is a great game that will indeed keep you clicking the Just one more turn-button!
Parent Written byeca3101 January 1, 2014

Great game, nothing actually bad too it

The game may have some fighting scenes. But all it is really is the soldiers go to fight, then if one of them gets hit they fall on the ground then just disappear. No blood gore or anything of that sort. The game also teaches kids to balance a budget and the war is costly both time and money wise. For each unit killed you loose time building/training the unit and you lose a front in the war. It also shows how easy it is to get into debt and how hard it is to get out. It also has some historical accuracy to it. Giving kids some extra knowledge on the way! E.g.: the leaders are accurate to their respected nations (Washington to USA, Gandhi to India etc); it also has historically accurate units and buildings (japan has the samurai, Egypt has the tomb etc) The only thing about civilization 5 is that its learning curve is MASSIVE. My son managed to understand the game within 3 days. That may not sound like a lot but for younger audiences (my son was 10) and children/tweens who don't like the strategy genre, this may be an even bigger learning curve. Other than that I totally recommend this game.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 17 year old Written bySpecimenB June 22, 2012

My 8 yr old son and I have a blast multiplayer.

My kids really enjoy playing Civilization V and we also play multiplayer together.
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

Awesome, but you'll need a good computer!

Civ 5 is finally here! I played it for a minute and was instantly pulled in! However, being new, it needs a good computer! I would suggest Quad Core Processor on a desktop. Still, great game all around! Great for anyone who truly appreciates a good strategy game!
Kid, 12 years old October 28, 2010

GREAT

This is probably the best computer game-ever. It's fun, and it can be as easy, or as hard, as you want it to be. You can also make your own map (you have to download a pack but I think it's free) and you can play with other people. And if you go into the Civilapedia you can learn the history of practically everything that's in the game. Great, just... five stars. (and it has amazing graphics)
Teen, 13 years old Written bystarfighter007 March 11, 2016

The Best of the Best!!!

In the game, your goal is to make a large empire with a thriving economy. To do this, you will have to forge alliances with neighbors to defeat competing empires. This is a good learning opportunity for children because it teaches them about leadership and how many civilizations came into existence. The game contains neither swearing nor violence. I would recommend the game for ages 8+ because it may be hard to play and understand for younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfolcat December 25, 2011

fun

Its really fine for all ages, but kids younger than 9 probably wont understand.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAJSS1234 April 17, 2014

Very Strategic

This game is for anyone but the strategic thinking required is why I put ages 11 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byArcancielle October 1, 2013

Addicting

Civ5 is possibly the most addicting game out there. 1 turn might turn into 5 which might turn into ten... It's an amazing tool to learn history - even if you're the one creating it. Please note that since it is a strategy game, younger children might have a harder time understanding the controls and gameplay. It's also a no go for kids 10 & younger, as it can be boring and games drag on for a long time.
Kid, 10 years old October 16, 2010

nice game but you need to undrstand what you are resurching

this game is a sequal to a great seires. in this game you get to be a great figure in history and take on history your way. if you are a fan of Civilization IV, you may be disapointed that when you choose a map, the map does not randomise itself so you may find yourself playing on the same contenent for 6 games straght. some of t6he things that you can reserch unget kids might not understand, like anamal husbandry. great game A+
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2015

AWESOME!!

Its much simpler then civ 4 or 3 and it has better game options. Its OK for learning that the world is not always good but not always bad and what other leaders do to each other.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTamiyami September 6, 2015

The best strategy game ever created

This game is the best computer strategy game ever conceived by the mind of man, right behind classics such as chess and Risk. This game challenges you to create a civilization, utilizing resources, crafting alliances, and waging war. Difficulty of playing can be chosen by the player. This game can be extended by extension packs made by the creator, and they are worth it. Entirely new aspects of the game are added in Brave New World, my favorite extension, as well as new civilizations. If you like strategy, then this game is for you. Learning curve isn't big, but it takes you about 30 minutes to understand the basics with the help of the tutorial (which is just helpers while you play the game).
Kid, 11 years old September 25, 2014

Great game for kids and adults!

Civilization V is a great game that can be played singleplayer or multiplayer. It is not violent in a graphic way, but there is tanks and shooting, as well as swordfighting. It is all seen from a top-down view, and the enemies just vanish when they are killed. It is surprisingly simple, and it includes helpful tutorials for newbies or 'noobs' at the game. There is no language or sexy stuff of any kind, and no drinking that I know of. I think that smart 7 and 8 year olds would be able to play as well. There are some minor safety concerns as this is a Steam game which includes online multiplayer, but remember kids: Don't join any unknown Steam groups or Civilization games, people might be rude to you! This is a great game, for kids and adults! I would definitely recommend it!
Kid, 12 years old January 17, 2014

5 Stars

Civ 5 is an Excelent Game That forces you to think strategically. Many new features and civilizations. It's also more accessible then civ IV but still challenging.City States are interesting and there's some good scenarios.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyode8 October 18, 2013

Civ V review

On of the best games ever, not for kids though. It's go amazing strategy.
Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2012

Smart history game

it's a fun game, but it has some violence in big figts. The figts do not include blod. You and the child can get smarter in history!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTimeMasterNix May 13, 2016

Appropriate for children, but not recommended

I mostly agree with the CSM review, but they understate how overwhelming this game is. I am 16 and was completely confused even just going into the tutorial. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and now I am having a blast, but it was extremely difficult to learn.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykamil101 May 26, 2014

Amazing Game

This game tells you about the history of the world. You learn how the people lived and prospered. However, when you enter a war, it may be too violent for younger kids. Not for kids 2-5. Iffy for kids 5-7. OK for kids 8-17.
Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2012

So amazing I can't put it into words.

Buy this game. Buy it now. How could you not! There is no concerns of violence, sex, or anything of the nature, and what's more Multiplayer is an option! Why are you still reading this review!