All member reviews for SimAnimals

You play as the hand of nature in this fabulous forest sim.

Age

Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written bykptown December 12, 2010

interesting sim game

Interesting game, fun for child to learn about animal habitats and how different decisions make an impact thru the ecosystem. It was pretty easy to join my child and play together, although it takes some coordinating, which is also great. However, like some others have said, she was sad when some of her favorite animals die (it's always difficult, isn't it, after you name an animal?) and eventually she was so concerned about the toxic spill and its effect that she didn't want to play anymore! But she did enjoy it for quite a while and some kids wouldn't be especially bothered by these things. I may be reaching here, but it also has a positive message that people can make the earth more livable and protecting wildlife is a great thing.
Teen, 16 years old Written byWyndcaller March 19, 2014

A great, simple, easy-to-play simulation!

This is my personal favorite animal simulation game. Certainly good for kids 6 and up. It is easy to play, and quite fun!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byThisbattymom April 22, 2010

Great game. Some stress for sensitive kids.

Can be stressful to sensitive kids; animals eat each other, some plants are limited, requires some planning/memory/shifting between environments. It is one of our favorites.
Kid, 11 years old November 6, 2011

Best Game I've Ever Played

I got this game a year ago and I love it! It has positive messages because it teaches children to take care of the environment and it's educational because it teaches kids what different animals eat and where they live. Overall this game is very fun and is a good investment of money because you'll never be bored of playing this game! I think it's good for kids 8 and up because it can be a bit frustrating getting your animals eaten and you need to be able to read well to play.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydancerlexielea321 August 30, 2010

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl August 12, 2010

Mixed feelings about this game

Not really sure how to rate this. My daughter rented it and I thought my younger son would hate it (no action) but he played it almost as much as she did. They seemed to have a lot of fun but a lot of it seemed repetitive and boring to me when I watched (although they had no complaints). Both kids felt like they would be able to beat the game really quickly so it may not be worth buying. I wouldn't exactly call it educational, although it did touch on some environmental topics. Easy to play if you can read & follow directions. Fairly intuitive. Sensitive kids might get stressed over the idea of "their" animal getting eaten by predators. The animals are kind of cute... nothing really bad but nothing outstanding either.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotallyARealPerson July 27, 2015

Only buy if it's on clearance.

I bought the DS version several years ago when I was twelve, so I will admit that I am not quite the target audience. There aren't any issues in terms of being kid friendly, but there are several design flaws that make it unbearable for children. First of all, whenever you don't take care of an animal, it leaves the forest and the game plays this disproportionately sad little tune that makes it seem like the animal has died when in reality it usually just pops up in another area. This may seem nit-picky, but after about five repetitions even I started to find the tune frustrating, and kids with even the remotest sense of empathy will probably take it personally. Second of all, children older than six will likely be miffed at the condescending and watered down tone the narration takes.(When a mommy rabbit and a daddy rabbit love each other very much, they might decide to have a baby rabbit!!) My advice is, if you find it at the bottom of the Wal-mart bargain bin, go ahead and buy it. Your kid will probably play it for an hour or so and then forget about it or (in my case) pawn it off to a younger sibling. It is NOT worth the full price and please don't buy it as a Christmas or birthday present. Your kid will just be guilt-tripped into playing it for hour after agonizing hour.
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2014

OK

It's fun to take care of the forest. Educational it's cool, because you learn about the animals and plants living there, but it can get a bit boring. It's a tiny bit violent, when cats, dogs and bears attack the others, but that's what they do in nature.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byLuke Jacobs March 9, 2010

Urm... nothing like the other Sim games.

You'd expect it to be the exact same thing as Sims... but it's almost the opposite. It's fun for the first 15 minutes, but then it's boring. The beaver level is impossible. (I think...)
Teen, 14 years old Written byshanno15 February 26, 2010

eh

this game is kind of stupid, you get bored preety easily and its kind of hard to keep the animals happy
Teen, 14 years old Written bySakura12354 November 22, 2009

perfect for anybody who can read

get the game
Educator Written bycrazybugz January 30, 2009

I smile ! I cry !!!

Nothing...just want to be who I am...hehehheee....