All member reviews for Sleeping Dogs

High-adrenaline adventure packed with blood, sex, and drugs.

Learning

Teen, 14 years old Written byPART III August 15, 2012

Very graphic violence, sex, and drugs and drinking.

Adult Written bythe wise one August 15, 2012

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

People should know that this game is a work of art. From the brightly lit neon signs of Hong Kong, to the gritty storytelling of the life of an undercover officer trying to infiltrate the Chinese Triads. Parents should know that this game is NOT appropriate for children whatsoever. The game contains frequent, graphic violence (hand to hand combat and gunplay), constant strong language (around 100+ F words), sexual dialogue, and references to drug use. The story is thrilling and engaging for mature audiences. Racketeering, violence, prostitution, gambling, and street racing are all explored in this game.
Parent Written byVic 2.0 March 31, 2014

Best since GTA: San Andreas

This is easily the best open world crime game I've played in a long time (and yes, that includes both GTAs 4 and 5). That's because you can really tell the developers put a lot of thought into every aspect of the gameplay itself, as opposed to spending 99% of their time on graphics and map size (ahem). What's cool about it is the graphics are still really good, and the map is satisfactorily big. Cruising through the streets of Hong Kong with some smooth hip hop, classic rock, soothing pop or old school soul on the radio is truly a pleasure both day and night (That's assuming you don't want to just throw on some speed metal or techno and floor it, you can do that too). The streets are particularly beautiful when it rains, and the water is always beckoning you to take a dive or hop in a boat! There are tons of interesting locations to explore, indoors and out. A good selection of vehicles, including motorcycles and boats. No flying, but that's what Just Cause 2 is for! Besides, who would want to leave this place?! GENERAL GAMEPLAY/MOVEMENT ON FOOT There isn't a ton of gunplay. There's enough to keep you in practice and spice things up at just the right moments (and they even spiced up the gunplay itself with some really nifty incorporations of bullet-time, borrowed from Max Payne), but the melee combat is where SD shines brightest. It functions a lot like the combat sequences in Assassin's Creed but to me looks and feels quite a bit better somehow. You can use objects in your immediate surroundings to perform "environmental kills", take a human shield, or even throw a guy in your trunk and drive around! You can learn combo attacks that are actually pretty easy to master, and it doesn't take long before you can take down a whole mob of enemies with ease. But just like everything else, it stays fun. They did a remarkable job in making things challenging but not frustrating. There were a few missions I failed more than once, but none that made me want to give up or shout obscenities. Also borrowed from Assassin's Creed is the parkour. Free-running, jumping over objects, climbing short walls is a delight! You HOLD the button to run instead of tapping it repeatedly like a lunatic as in some other games, and the same button you use to run with is the same button you use to jump with, so there's no switching buttons when you want to climb or jump a short wall quickly. All in all, movement in Sleeping Dogs is quite smooth once you get used to the controls (as you have to do with any game). GENERAL FEATURES There are literally countless little features in this game that you can't find in games like GTA. Things like having your favorite vehicle (indeed, ALL your vehicles) accessible in garages all over the map instead of just the one you happened to store it in, and a valet service you can use to have your favorite vehicle delivered to you (He's more dependable than the mechanic in GTA 5). You can save outfits, which makes deciding what to wear next a snap, and the clothes you buy often provide some sort of bonus in the experience points you earn while wearing them. Food/drinks give you temporary boosts in stats like health regeneration and melee damage. It goes on and on. And collectibles? LOTS of 'em! But just like so much else in the game, finding them is neither too easy nor exasperatingly difficult. Plus, you actually WANT to find them because they all unlock different rewards to keep you motivated. FEATURES (DRIVING-RELATED) ...No... I'm not done talking about the features. The GPS puts arrows on the screen itself so you don't have to "play the mini-map" (keep your eyes glued to the mini-map so you don't miss a turn) like you do in GTA 5. Also unlike GTA 5, Sleeping Dogs gives you two buttons with which to change your radio station instead of just one, and you can adjust the volume of your radio without going into settings. You can change objectives (where your GPS directs you to) with the press of a button so you don't have to pause to look at your map as often. Abilities are like no other in this genre. You can ram enemy vehicles much more effectively, go into slow-motion while shooting at enemies in front of and behind you WHILE DRIVING, and perform action hi-jacks in which you leap from one moving vehicle to the roof of another to steal it. STORY/MISSIONS The story is great, really keeps your interest the whole way through. Much more serious than GTA and Saint's Row, though there are pleasant moments to uplift your spirits in the midst of dramatic events. You actually come to care about several characters in the game. And the missions never seem repetitive. Maybe that's because they aren't, or maybe it's just because everything's so much fun you can't get enough of any of it! While similar to other games in this genre in that the mini-games are lacking (with the exception of karaoke, which is surprisingly entertaining when you want a break from all the seriousness), most of the side missions are a blast. Whether you're chasing down a purse thief, racing through checkpoints in the street, or putting the beatdown on a local gang guarding a camera you must then turn around and hack into, you won't be disappointed! SUMMARY Point is, you should definitely get this game! That's especially if you like any of the GTA or Saint's Row games and are just in the mood for a change in scenery or mood. Parents: This game contains fairly graphic violence, extensive use of obscenities (though half of them are spoken in Chinese and subtitled in English), no nudity/strip clubs but a few explicit sexual references, references to drugs and alcohol abuse but none that promote it, and the story won't make you torture innocent people by slowly pulling their teeth out with pliers to progress the story like some games that shall remain nameless *cough*GTA 5*cough*
Parent Written bydadoftheworld2 November 16, 2012

SLEEPING WRONG

Ok this is high up there where its really bad for kids.The reason why? because they use language like c*cksucker as$ b*tch son of a b*tch fck sh*t etc.Its also really violent because you can use the envorment around you like in one mission you can hang someone on a harpoon.There also was a scene were you are at a weeding and almost everyone gets murdered.Bad for kids!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydewdizzle October 27, 2012

aidfawd

i think its very good i own it up
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 August 19, 2012

Great game,but extremely mature.

I just got this game yesterday and I have only played an hour of it.And I can already say,theres tons of violence,bashing the nut bags out of people,decapitation and burning alive,theres torture,lots of language and implied rape and heavy sex.This game is only educational in showing the insides of people and showing children how life is in the cold underworld.But if your kid has played GTA or Mafia,then it's quite alright.
Parent Written bycurlyfries May 13, 2013

sleeping dogs is cool

Best game ever made. So much fun.
Kid, 10 years old September 6, 2013

Epic Game but to Mature for Child Gamers

I'm only 10 and I thought this game was awesome. But this is really gory. Just as bad as Spec Ops: The Line. I assure if your child is mature and has played games like Black Ops, Black Ops 2, Spec Ops: The Line and so on this will be an okay game.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillionaire December 31, 2012

My Opinion

On= 12+, Pause= 10-11, Off= 9 and Under.
Adult Written byBuck Wheat December 6, 2012

More content info

There are also many billboards with girls in sex positions (bending over with a man behind them) and many billboards with girls scantily clad (girls in the process of taking off their few clothes).
Parent Written byRun boy run. August 15, 2012

Great but to much sex, swaering, and drugs

Parent of a 9 year old Written bytheo October 28, 2014

AMAZING

My son played this game and adored it. All you need to do is turn off volume to keep away swearing and turn off subtitles. He only played free roam and when I watched he could play missions. I like how you can help others and save hong kong as an undercover cop.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMidnightNinja15 July 7, 2014

My thoughts on Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping Dogs puts you in the shoes of Wei Shen, and undercover police officer with tough past and background. He is tasked with infiltrating the Sun On Yee Triad in Hong Kong after the previous cop's cover was blown and he was brutally murdered. The story focuses on Wei's inner struggle of ratting out the Triads, some of the members who he has become attached to, while remaining to his duty as an officer of the law. While Wei generally seems like a good incorruptible police officer, it is later revealed that he has a personal vendetta against the triad for the treatment and death of his sister and seems like he just wants revenge rather against the Triads rather that making the city a safer crime-free place. However, is is still a very likable protagonist. Despite its seemingly glitzy and glamorous Hong Kong setting, Sleeping Dogs has a very gritty and violent story that takes you into the seedy underworld of murder,extortion,prostitution,drug trafficking,illegal street racing, and gambling to name a few. The game is also extremely violent as you can beat up enemies using brutal martial arts moves, hearing bones crack and limbs break, you can pick up melee weapons such as knives and cleavers, and while the gunplay isn't as prominent in the game as the main focus is on hand to hand combat, it is also violent and if you get headshots small chunks of your victim's head will fly off and blood is shown realistically, staining your own clothes and your enemies. Also, despite being sworn to protect Hong Kong, Wei can kill innocent civilians with little to no penalty. As for sex, it is mostly just referenced in one mission a woman touches Wei's crotch but they don't actually have sex. Wei can also have sex with various girlfriends but it is never actually shown on screen but based on the dialogue you can obviously tell whats going on. As for language, there is a lot of profanity, both in Chinese and English such as s**t motherf*cker a-hole c**ksucker. Despite it's adult content I think its and ok game for a normal teenager.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byAstro_nom_ickle January 1, 2014

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

While this is an awesome game for my partner, it's one of the few games that isn't played until my 10 year old is in bed. We swear in the house, and this game shocked even us. VERY strong language, as well as misogynistic, and violent interactions between characters. A very graphic game, perhaps not in terms of blood and gore, but definitely in terms of how much physical violence there is, and sexual dialogue.
Kid, 12 years old October 14, 2013

Not as bad as grand theft auto WAY toned down

yes there are a lot of bad words but there is little drinking (its optional) and little adult content PLUS its really cool you get to do karaoke,kung fu,and awesome missions
Kid, 10 years old March 11, 2013

epic video game

i think this is good for 13 cause mostly the violence im ten and i play it but just i think it would be okay for 11 and up
Teen, 16 years old Written bymr bannana September 4, 2012

fun but.....

i just got the game for me and my little brother ( hes only 12) and the half a hour we played it it was brutal and gory as i dont know what. the game has strong language sex and swearing. my parents know about it so i coudnt let my brother play it. the game is fun but not for kids under 13
Parent Written byMakerofdecions June 17, 2015
LEARNING

Should I get my kid this or not

This game does however have violence as you play the game but, You are a under cover cop helping the community. Don't worry about the gangs yes there is a lot swearing but You can turn it off. My child plays call of duty and the shorting is the same. He enjoys messing around and driving his car around town. It is a good game I was afraid because some said there was sexual content and but there isn't bad before they starts flirting or doing any thing sexual the screen turns away and it stops. So the game I think is ok for 12 year olds and is not bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYakuza March 12, 2015

Pretty damn amazing

This is a great game, i really enjoyed playing it! Reminded me a lot of batman arkham origins in its fighting style. There is alot of blood in the game, but there is no gore or face cringing violence. The only sexual refernces are said in a mild jokey way, and the producers of the game said it was not supposed to be a serious gritty crime game. YOU CAN BUY PORK BUNS!!!!
Parent Written byyunosun May 12, 2013

best open world game out there

If your kids are mature enough to handle this game, or if they have other M games, it's fine to buy sleeping dogs for your kids. They will be happy if you do.