All teen and kid member reviews for Spore

Teen, 13 years old Written byCrazySense April 21, 2009

Great game, but the hype is wrong

Will Wright's "Spore" is a good addition to the library of games he's "created" The story is all created by you besides cutscenes between levels. You control a small microorganism in the first level, eventually growing lungs and going unto land. Here you can make alliances, hunt other animals and mate. The violence is cartoonish in nature with no blood, so no worries there. As for the "mating" it's just the two creatures dancing under a thing of hearts. Eventually, you pass the tribal and civil stages to get to the Space Stage, where the game really excells. You can explore planets, make alliances, have wars or buy and sell planets, the eventual goal being to go to the Galactic Center. Overall a great game with exellent content creators and online sharing. However, the game is almost shallow compared to it's earlier demoes. Still, a great game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byANgrantAN July 9, 2011

Over-Hyped Mess

Spore looked like a real good game in 2006! It was a deep, and interesting life simulator! Unfortunately, the finished product was none of these things. The game is essentially four half-baked mini-games and a somewhat entertaining sandbox at the end. The first stage is cell stage. You swim around eating stuff. That's it. Creature stage. You run around with ridiculously over-specialized creatures either befriending everyone or killing everyone. It's mindless DNA (XP) grinding. For this, the creature creator is almost fully cosmetic. Your creature has eight legs and eyes on it's back? It performs as if it were a human. Parts are based on stats that don't stack, so you could have a one-legged blob with a couple of stat parts that works exactly the same way as a humanoid creature would. In tribal stage, you either throw concerts with everyone or slaughter your foes until you are the only one left. In Civ stage, you see one of the laziest attempts at an RTS ever. In this stage, you run around preaching, buying, or killing. The end. Now, for the last stage, you have Space. This is actually a sort of OK stage. You fly around doing missions and exploring, which can be a good way to waste hours of potential productivity. Overall, Spore is just a collection of levels, with a mainly cosmetic set of editors. The add-on Galactic Adventures makes the game somewhat more tolerable, but the complexity limit for everything is unacceptable. On the technical side, many computers will be able to handle this game, but the big problem here is the DRM. You can only install this game 3 times. The DRM that enforces this is also a rootkit, which means that it latches on to your computer and can't be removed with anything short of a full wipe of your hard-drive. Since neither the manual nor game box inform the customer of this, EA is illegally installing a rootkit with this game, and in fact two class action lawsuits have been filed against the corporation. To sum everything up, the description for this game given by this website is completely wrong, the game is definitely not worth your money. There's a reason this game has a 4.6/10 aggregate user score on Metacritic.
Teen, 13 years old Written byquaggasaurus August 30, 2010

Simple enough for younger kids, but the online portion is questionable on occasion

This game is not exactly as educational as it is "cute" and "cartoony" (which was not the original feel of the game). You control a creature from a cell (or should I say simple, multicellular organism) to a space-faring race. I was clearly targeted more for boys, as there are no signs of female anythings in the game. It is not as educational as it sounds, as there is very little realism. What you create can be shared to the online "sporepedia", an encyclopedia of sorts for the creations on Spore. The online portion is not very well controlled, and on occasion an inappropriate creation will pass by the eyes of the moderators. There is no blood in the game, and the "red explosions" mentioned are actually pink/purple. This game was originally planned for release far before 2008 and was shown in demo back in 2003-04. The demo was much more realistic, and the released version strayed far from it, angering many of the fans. This game has more of a "silly" feel to it than an educational one.
Kid, 11 years old May 29, 2011

Some violence, 8+

Very realistic evolution sim with fantastic creature creator and smooth gameplay. Good for people 8 and older who like creating people or creatures and playing with them and developing them. The idea of a role playing game where a creature is the main character is one that, in my opinion, should be used more often.
Teen, 14 years old Written byprincesspeach July 29, 2011

Fun, but violent!

I love spore! It's soooo cool! But it's gross when your monster eats someone else's monster cause ther's blood, monsters bite eachother!
Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2011

e.g. Great game. And very cool.

This game rocks! But in the tribe stage you fight with waepons like torches and other stuff.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJacobTheGreat2 July 12, 2011

Amazing!

Spore is one of the best PC games to ever excist. You can build creatures, buildings, cells, almost anything. The violence is mild, and the only blood I saw in spore was when you stabbed cells with a spike, but the blood was purple. The only thing you need to be worried about is user created content. Which can be reported.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywhaleoh4060 March 22, 2011

Very creative and fun game!

Great game! A bit violent when you eat creatures, but this is outweighed by ease of play and consequences for certain action.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMattiscool February 11, 2012

I lost ZERO brains cells playing this

Love it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynsvv April 30, 2011

Fine for 10s and over but not a particularly exciting game

Spore does contain some violence, especially in the creature stage, but its not particularly graphic and most children over 10 should be able to deal with it. Spore is a very simple game, with a very user friendly interface, which is certainly a bonus. However, it is not a particularly long game, and the Space stage is too open ended to offer a massive amount of appeal. There is some replay value due to the large amount of factions in the space stage, but it does get boring eventually. It's getting quite old now and is therefore quite cheap, but don't expect anything incredible from it.
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2011

i love this game it is awsome!
Kid, 10 years old November 1, 2010

great!

great game, like sim city 4, but smaller and more about the figuring out how to stop being little stupid cells and become super orginizems
Kid, 11 years old June 21, 2015

SPORE-Wonderful Game!

This is a great game. It teaches lots of evolution and the food chain, while being fun in the process!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEvolute Creator April 18, 2015

SPORE™ is great!

SPORE™ is definitely NOT a waste of money. The game is following not a single avatar, but an entire species, through its evolution. You control a unicellular organism in the cell stage, where you can kill creatures, and they have a small explosion of fake-looking blood. You can mate in the first two stages, but al that is shown is a dance with creatures swooning. You have a choice to fight or make friends. In the later stages you can burn down buildings. In the tribal stage, if you choose to get violent instead of friendly (my usual choice), you will bloodlessly kill tribe members and destroy their huts. in the civilisation stage, you can attack cities and blow up their buildings. Same in the space stage. I hope I didn't make this sound too violent, I would only give it one out of five violence, and you do not have to fight.
Kid, 10 years old August 26, 2014

LEARNING

space stage is fun and hard

In Spore you go through many stages and the stages are cell stage, creature stage, tribe stage, civilization stage, and space stage. But, the space stage is so hard because you have to go to different star systems in a whole galaxy and there are a lot of star systems. Do not worry if you get lost because there is a sigh that shows your home planet. You can also get a thing that you can place on a planet to make a city on a planet that is not claimed. You can also make friends in the game to trade with and go on missions. The space stage is cool and hard at the the same time.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander February 20, 2014

Great Albeit Simple

Spore is an extremely fun civilization sim that allows you to create your own species and watch it evolve. Spore is far from realistic (scientists have reviewed the game) and a bit simplistic, but this simplicity allows young players to easily grasp the concepts of the game. There is a considerable amount of violence that is optional depending on how you build your character. If you are a carnivore, you are going to need to kill other animals for food although you might need to defend yourself as a herbivore. You can kill other species by fighting with fists. Each hit sprays a very small amount of green alien blood. When an animal dies, you can eat them, although there is no gore in the animation (you scope the body with your hand and eat an invisible substance). The animal then fades away. In the tribal stage of the game, you can create bows and arrows and spears to fight enemies or wild animals, although the violence is still as middle in creature stage. In the civilization/space stage, you can create and pilot ships, planes, and vehicles that can destroy other cities. At one point late in the game, you can buy a device that can blow up an entire planet. Even though you can use these weapons of mass destruction, you are encouraged to ally with other nations. It is much harder to be a military state in the game. Other than the mild violence, you can also reproduce in the first three stages of the game. The first two stages show two creatures dancing (but never touching each other) with hearts around them. The screen fades and an egg appears. In the tribal stage, you can click an egg button on a hut to add a member of the tribe causing an egg to roll out of the hut. Overall Spore has a tad bit of violence, but the creativity, thinking, and strategizing in the game make up for this. You can play the entire game without hurting anyone and be successful. Older players (around 12+) will notice patterns in the gameplay mechanics quickly making the game seem easy, but I loved this game when I was ten.
Teen, 14 years old Written by1visualFXguy May 15, 2013

A cute, fun, interesting game by Will Wright!

SPORE is an awesome game, because I have always liked made-up creatures. Language : None. Violence : Creatures can kill other creatures. Sex : Creatures mate with each other but nothing is exactly shown. Nudity : None. Drinking, Drugs & Smoking : None. Christian Beliefs : The game is about evolution which is kind of bad and you can become Omnipotent when in space stage, but you are not being worshipped in any way, shape, or form! This is a good game, especially if you like creatures as much as I do!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysilvonadux March 19, 2013

silvonadux

I am sorry if you don't agree with me when I say this but if you are christian, I wouldn't let my kids play this until they know evolution is not true. (not that I WANT kids) But about the game, It is VERY fun. You get to start out as a little cell guy and play up to "Evolve" into a creature on land. Eventually you move to a tribe and then start developing a city. Then go explore space. Don't worry. You can skip some of those steps if you want to speed up the process. This game isn't short. Believe me, it was worth the $20 I spent.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLargoAllegroModerato November 9, 2011

Great family game

I played this with my friend and we used to evolve through each stage until we got to the Tribal stage. Then it gets hard... very hard.
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2011

I love the game!

I love the game!You can create anything you want and have fun!Theirs some mating in it,but they wont do it,they just dance around and you see your creature lay an egg.Some violents is in it,nukes,tanks,animal attacks,and lasers.Educational things are the many animal behaviors,how a civilian acts in wars,and exploring the vast lands and space!I havent played the game in a LONG time because Im having trouble installing it to my new computer :(