All member reviews for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Fun game lets players explore the dark side.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycross_breed August 24, 2009

Great Morality Based Game for Thirteen And Over

As much as I dislike the ESRB, they were right on the money with this rating. The violence is completely bloodless, and the sexual references are so undetectable, I didn't even notice them. However, the themes and moral choices can be considered mature themes, so I would not suggest letting anyone under eleven play this. As for the game in and of itself, I loved it, but then, I like talky games. If your kids want action get 'em Halo. This one is for people who like dialog driven and extremely talky RPG's with some action elements.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAvatar Aang March 26, 2010

Great Game!

I have this game on Xbox and I love it! Let me explain my ratings: There are contradicting highlights and concerns like good role model/bad role model because you can choose to be good or evil, if you are a boy or girl and what you look like. -Violence The violence in this game is mild compared to some other Star Wars games. The combat is turn based but is blended so there are parries and deflections in lightsaber combat. There is no blood but enemies sometimes moan when they are killed. There are points in the game where you see corpses and skeletons and one dismembered arm. Players can use swords, lightsabers, blasters and explosives to fight. -Lovey-Dovey Stuff Ok, there is love in the game. But I don't find love bad. There are also some suggestive themes in the game. These themes are why the game is cited for this category. The female (and male) characters in your party can be equipped with tight fitting clothes (jumpsuits for guys, swimsuits for girls). There are dancing female Twi'lek slaves with semi-revealing clothing on in some cantinas. I also hear that there is a kissing scence but it requires that you pursue love intrests and I have not come across it. Two of the people in your party love you (if you are male it's a and b and if your female it's a and c) (forgive my use of algebra) which means one character will like you no matter what gender you are. You can tell a select character that you love them too. -Language Some characters say h*ll and d*mn. -Drugs There are things in the game called stimulants that can temporarily boost some of your stats. This could be percieved as drugs but their use is optional and truthfully I wouldn't have cited the game for it if I hadn't read the Common Sense Media reveiw. There is also a point where you meet drunken men on the street. -Choices Throughout the game there are decisions you can make that can send you down the light or dark paths. These conversations and subsequent actions could be imitated by kids. These choices are realistic because they invovle sacrifice, greed and other motives and consequences. You can fight evil or become it. - Educational Things There are various points in the game where you can (try to) solve logic and math problems. These can vary from identifyng number patterns to very hard logical problems. Overall this game is one of if not the best Star Wars games there are. It's story is great, the graphics are stunning and the music is wonderful. -Avatar Aang
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byZubalove December 4, 2009

Moral and ethical dilemas, excellent game play, and a wonderful story.

This game is one of the best action RPGs of its generation. It is, without much debate, the best Star Wars game produced. I won't get into a review here as you can easily get those details from IGN. However, it is very important to stress that the innovation the game presented was to have the story changed based upon the moral choices the player makes in game. Anyone that knows Star Wars knows the force has a light side and a dark side. This game allows your character to choose what side of the force you wish to represent. The choice isn't one big decision, but, like in life, decided by all the little actions and decisions you make along the way. The opportunity for a parent to do some moral and ethical coaching over the course of the game is enormous. Quite simply the question shouldn't be whether or not to let your child play this if they wish, but if they should play it, how can you involve yourself in their experience. In many ways, it is an antithesis to Grand Theft Auto. In this game, good moral decisions come at a cost (typically material) while poor moral choices are broadly illustrated as wicked and self-serving. Unlike other games, you cannot hide from your malicious decisions.
Adult Written bydragoonlover April 9, 2008

Brilliant must buy RPG

After seeing the zero star for Resident Evil and the three star review for this game, I wonder if this place reviews not on technical merit but more on the messages a medium sends. But even without messages, this game is one of the most awesome RPGs ever created.
Adult Written byHaloFreak123 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bygamerdad512 August 31, 2014

One of the best RPGs of all time

If you let your kids watch the star wars movies, this game is a little bit worse but not too bad and one of the greatest role playing games ever, if your kids want to play it, you should but you should know this first: there is some violence but there's no blood and gore, combat is a pretty big part of the game but it's mostly about the story you create by making good or bad decisions. The violence is about as bad as the star wars movies. There is not any sexual content I remember but there was some mild language like hell and damn.
Adult Written byhwarming May 9, 2012

A classic RPG

Players can create their own character, and explore the worlds of the Old Republic. Having different choices and conversation options, leading towards the Light or Dark side. You recruit companions to help you with your quests. There is romance, but all it really leads to is an off screen kiss. For the most part, the Light side is very tame, but some of the Dark Side options are pretty brutal.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarth Rex August 14, 2010

Good for 14 and up, but iffy for 12 and up.

I really like the game, BUT, there are some very mature things in this game. There are things that eye's should not see. VERY FUN THOUGH!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydrewsy1 January 23, 2010

good game

This is certainly an incredible game. While there is little to be truly worried about (the violence and occasional 'damns' and 'hells'), the 'path to the dark side' dialogue and action options could be found imitatable by younger children. If the child is young or immature, be careful - they may imitate some in-game material with friends. Also, be aware that there is a vast and plentiful modding community for this game - while many of the mods are harmless, some of the less mature internet-goers may offer more skin-tight or revealing outfits for female characters, and some less savory sites offer 'nudity' mods. Keep track of the mods a child downloads, if they do such things.
Kid, 10 years old May 21, 2009

CSM forgot something

Besides the violence,there's a bit of kissing and some mild language(Hell and D***n)And also a bit of blood.Great game though!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysimps0n21 January 18, 2009

Good game but with sugesstive themes

parents should be ok with this game but beware stealing, killing and cruielty are present also with corspes but nothing a T game wouldnt have
Teen, 16 years old Written byFlip-flop April 9, 2008

A wonderful simulation of the Star Wars universe!

This game, well, where can I start? This game offers up to "90 hours of play!" (source: the box.) The box isn't lying. Aside from the slow first hour and a half, the 90 hours just flash by, and before you know it, it's over. KOTOR offers intellegent puzzles which actually reflect your personality depending on your answer. Here is an example: "You are the king of a city that is about to be attacked. The citizens don't know this, and they are questioing your ruling ability. Do you let the attackers come to teach your people a lesson, or do you muster them up to stand up to the attack?" The only negative aspect is the often sloppy graphics, which are sometimes good. In conclusion: If you love games with a balance of action and thinking puzzles, YOU WILL HAVE FUN!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Good game and can be used to teach good vs. evil themes

Very good game value with a positive good vs. evil message if properly coached. Some fighting, but no gore. Good strategy needs to be employed as well.
Teen, 17 years old Written byElvenDryad157 April 9, 2008

A very engaging game that is exciting and worth playing

Having beaten the game four times through, I can say that it is a great game, even if you're not too big into Star Wars. The engine is great, and although there is continous fighting throughout it isn't graphic and the main focus is the whole story. It leaves you hanging to figure out all the mysteries and quests. Taking at least 30 hours to play through, this is a great game to play on weekends or over the summer. I love it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybonesxprt13 April 9, 2008

Great game for the PC and Mac with some educational value to boot!

Perfect game for teenagers but definately not for young gamers.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJames Picard January 19, 2013
LEARNING

A Landmark Achievement in Video Game Storytelling

Forget about the combat, the graphics, even the platform. This is a game you play for the story, and what a magnificent one it is. While it may look like it's a slow, meandering game, and it does drag at some points. ultimately, it gives you time to get to know your companions, and show a larger galaxy at work than just what you're doing. BioWare has always been great at creating living, breathing worlds, and this is no exception. Every planet has a story, every person has a flaw, every quest has a new adventure. Not to mention this game has one of the GREATEST plot twists in the history of gaming. I won't spoil it, but it will blow your mind. This is a game that feels more like a film miniseries than anything else, but it works so well, you don't care. I recommend it to any and all gamers.
Kid, 12 years old April 7, 2012

Great educational and fun game

I think it is fine for most ages, however I believe younger children will not get a grasp of the amazing story or the situation hence leading them to possible bad choices. But all in all I think its a great game and increases your math, spelling and english (If you have subtitles on)
Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2012

okay 6 plus

this gamw is really fun. The combat is glitchy but it isn't that big of a deal. It is not action packed though. You are required to make choices that effect your entire gameplay experience, which includes killing somebody, or helping somebody. Going light side or dark side. not to spoil anything but they drastically change what happens in end game.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHorror and sy-fi fan April 23, 2011

Fine for over 10, old star wars storyline

My fav game. Too many bars and buying rounds of drinks for people. Slight every now implied sexual encounters. Good role models in lead female Jedi. Positive messages in trusting your friends and allies.