All member reviews for Star Wars: The Old Republic

Play as Jedi or Sith in this story-rich, combat-laden MMO.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byTh0th August 17, 2014

Begin by asking yourself whether your kids have seen the movies, then judge the game

As someone new to the MMO scene, I have been a Star Wars fan since the first film in 1977. This game builds more on the Knights of the Old Republic games that came out several years ago, only now we have the advantage of much more immersive storylines (the originals still stand as pillars to the genre), better graphics and multiplayer options. Star Wars itself has both a very black/white nature when it comes to morality, but as with anything else there are details that add to the narrative that make it more of a learning experience and understanding the characters. I basically have a few key points: 1) Violence. If your kid has never seen the prequels, never seen limbs and arms sliced off with lightsabers, this is in some cases less graphically violent than the films. There is, however, a LOT of violence in general, because the story involves both active and passive elements of a war spanning the Empire and Republic across the galaxy. Armies clash, specialists are sent in on missions with violent or peaceful outcomes, and it all depends on the multi-layered choices the player makes. You start out with 3 choices in most dialogs: Good, Neutral, and Aggressive/snarky. The choices descend from there, and you get light or dark points based on the outcome. Therefore as others have said, you can play as a dark Jedi or a Good Sith, and the outcomes are still very interesting. There are choices in encounters that involve no violence at all for a Sith, but require a Jedi to kill. So, consider that - like life - there are consequences for your choices and actions, there are many outcomes. I would also add that your relative light/dark score affects the appearance of your character and - most importantly - whether the character can use cool gear which has a light/dark score prerequisite. 2) Sex/swearing/bad habits: There were scantily-clad stripper/dancing girls in Return of the Jedi. This is the same except that there are more dance clubs. Red light districts of a sort are on almost every planet, and cantinas are a neutral zone of sorts, so you're going to get involved. One of your first missions as a Jedi is to "rescue" a despondent boyfriend's Twilek girlfriend from her dancing job, and the outcomes don't involve sex at all, but may involve her remaining an exotic dancer because it's her choice. A Jedi can force her to leave, earning dark points or allow her to decide for herself and telling the boyfriend she honestly doesn't love him anymore, earning light points. I have two boys and both saw this mission as nothing erotic or suggestive. There is a very limited amount of swearing, and many of the lounges do offer the character options to buy drinks, but these are mostly backgrounds in the scene. Drugs are involved in some missions, but involve medicines to be rationed during the war, and deciding whether to give them to injured soldiers or to widows and orphans. Again, both decisions the player has to make and both with different outcomes depending on the ROLE PLAY, and that's part of the "RP" in "RPG". If you have an imaginative child, they can run a character as a juggernaut of death or a beacon of light, and it's interesting to see how or why they do so. Watch and learn from their styles in different gameplay. I would also add that much with the movies, almost ALL kids liked the bad guys. Stores didn't sell out of Jedi costumes and toys, they sold out of everything Darth Maul/Vader-related because bad = cool. Apply the same mode of thinking to monster trucks of professional wrestling. The one thing this game does offer in terms of sexual politics is the women have as much influence as the men in the galaxy as a whole, and female characters or companions can have interesting, complex back stories that define who and why they do what they do, and how they change based on your companionship. The one thing I cringed at was the Sith "punish" ability, which let you slap a companion as a simple visual device. You earn no points for it, but the female companion will cry and turn away, but the gigantic, Jedi-eating alien with snivel and whimper like the cowardly lion. However, in other character classes you can kick enemies in the groin or backhand them across the face with your blaster/rifle as a form of attack, so again, if this type of violence - which they are apt to see in any TV show on in prime time, and in many cases TV is worse - is immediately prohibitive or offensive to a reading parent, then stop here and don't allow the game for your kids, but it's a minor issue on the whole. 3) Consumerism. This more than any other aspect of the game is your caveat emptor. It is free-to-play, but as with any other similar MMORPG, this limits how far you can advance, who you can play with and what gear you can use based on paid subscribers. The fees aren't outrageous for the basic subscription, but the Cartel Market (CM), the player's "Christmas Toy catalog", is a huge money sink (and I say this as both a parent and someone who keeps feeding the monster) because it DOES get you cool gear, outfits, vehicles and other perks. Your kid gets 500 coins with each monthly subscription rotation, which allows them to buy maybe 10% of the available items in the CM. You can buy cartel coin packs on the game website for cash, and a $40 investment gets you about 5,500 coins - enough to buy ONE big ticket item or dozens of smaller ones on the market. The big thing to learn with your child if you go down this path is the "Collections" feature, which allows you to purchase CM items for all characters on the account for a fraction of the original cost, thereby allowing your entire span of players access to the gear. Dressing a Sith as a Smuggler sounds corny, but it can work. There are many guides on YT and the various SWTOR sites (I would recommend Dulfy.net as a good starting point) on how to do this economically so you don't max out a credit card. I would also add that it teaches your child VERY quickly the value of something - if they make a rash judgment in a purchase that takes all their coins AND they equip their character with it, it's forever bound to that character until they add more coins to add the outfit to their account collection OR and this is the big economics seller for this game, they can choose NOT to use the item and sell it on the GTN - the player's auction board (Galactic Trade Network). Any player can go to these kiosks and look to see what their purchased gear is selling for across the board, can purchase gear and mods they haven't learned yet, and can earn a huge amount of in-game credits from something they paid $10 for on the CM because it's a rare drop. Again, these are all common to MMO players but it teaches your child the economics side of things. But money does make this game operate and you can spend ridiculous amounts with it. 4) Miscellaneous. I saw on here two primary issues with the game - the sexuality of the cutscenes and the safety/privacy concerns. Sexuality as indicated is a minor element, offscreen, but adults will likely catch subtle clues in the gameplay, which is actually enjoyable for them (one of the companions is a dark-side turned Jedi Padawan who just LOVES being evil - her voice acting during the romantic cutscenes is so cringingly bad that it seems like a bad soap opera); romance and intimacy is poorly-written by Lucas and Co., and it shows to some degree in-game. The other aspect are safety/privacy. Any character your child creates can join a guild if invited, and General chat is mostly full of credit/cartel coin spam with embedded links, so lock your browsers down if you need to - again, monitor their gameplay. Safety can be augmented in the Preferences | Social Menu, but it has to be toggled for every character on the child's account, so some parental involvement is recommended. My best recommendation (and to some, this may sound like a scathing review but I still love the game and recommend it as a whole) is to get involved with your child. Group missions can be a blast, and with only 4 accounts and 5,000 credits, anyone can create a guild which offers some impressive experience and credit bonuses. I play Skype with my two boys and their friend (their group audio/video chat is now free for anyone with a Skype or Microsoft account) and it's totally worth it. There are many sites out there to recommend guilds if your teen wants to join (most teens will have heard the language in Skype/vent/teamspeak - or worse - from schoolmates by that time), but I would recommend keeping the social aspect limited. Any player can play through the entire game without one bit of social play, but unless your child is insistent on planetary or class achievements, socialization is a requisite, as some can only be done with group mission completions. The gameplay and grinding can get boring, and cutscenes tend to be repetitive but you can push through all of them. Overall I found it a decent Star Wars game but pretty consistent as far as other MMOs tend to go. I've played Warcraft and Everquest in the past but not in the same degree as this game, but friends I know into MMOs at an advanced level only disliked it for the simplicity of completion and gross consumerism as I indicated above.
Parent Written bytrainiac12 May 11, 2014

Botched review by commonsense

First off: outdated review, as the game is now free-to-play. Second: the review does not take any heed towards the actual gameplay, and should be null. No, the sith are NOT strictly cruel, greedy, and senseless. The entire point of the sith storylines, in fact, are to prove the moral ambiguity of the star wars universe. ANYONE who has played the game should know that. You can be an evil jedi, or you can be a great sith. The choices are endless.
Teen, 16 years old Written byZambrak March 30, 2012

A Good Game for Mature Preteens

As a teenager (and a lifelong Star Wars fan), Star Wars: the Old Republic caught my eye the day it was announced. The game offers a truly incredible story, which players choose to be a class (profession, for example: bounty hunter, Jedi Knight, Imperial Agent, etc.) and develop a unique character. Along the journey, players will kill countless NPC's and other players . They can kill them just because they attack them, or choose to kill innocents, such as a small boy's father in front of the boy. Although the player can be Jedi or Sith, they can choose to make good decisions in dialogue that will earn them light side points, compared to bad actions, dark side points. Along the journey, players will have an option to romance NPC's, which can lead to kissing and off-screen sex. The player will develop a healthy relationship with them and can learn that there is more beyond having a boyfriend/girlfriend. The game offers an extremely long story, with plot twists and turns, classic Star Wars moments, and character development. Even though it is Star Wars, it can be violent, sexy, and display a bit of mild language. Even thought this the best game I have ever played (my opinion), it is clearly meant for older and more mature fans of Star Wars, compared to The Clone Wars. I think this game is good for any mature 12 year old, but it is ultimately your call. Keep in mind it does have a $15 dollar monthly fee. If you want to learn more information about this amazing experience, Google SWTOR.
Adult Written byWEIRDLITTLEBRO February 10, 2012

Did Michael Lafferty even play this for more than 5 minutes?

The origional reviewer, Michael Lafferty, obviously does not understand the difference between the player's morality and faction (EDIT: He did, sorry about that, but it was hidden in the "more on" section.) It is possible to play as a light-side Sith, and I must say that it is lots of fun to do so. You can also play as a Dark Side Jedi who believes that the ends justify the means. Another thing is that your choices directly affect your story and you do face consequences for your actions. The reviewer also said that even light side characters show no remorse, that is not true. A pure light side character will often try to settle conflicts peacefully, and they will succeed a suprising amount of the time if you play your cards right. When situations still end in violence, you will often find that the same character regrets things could not be solved peacefully. Bioware's unique way of giving players the ultimate choices can be used to teach kids that bad choices have consequences and doing the right thing is rewarding.
Adult Written bymrblurr February 3, 2012

It's like WoW...but better.

Star Wars: The Old Republic (TOR) is an MMO game (Massively Multiplayer Online) that requires a $15 monthly fee to play. This fee may seem like a lot, but it guarantees a few things for the life of your game: 1. Content updates. You will get free content patches from time to time as well as regular system/server maintenance. This is a great deal that will balance the game, fix issues/bugs, and increase the playtime of the game by months-years. Look at it this way: A kid gets a $60 game every few months or gets a $50+$15/month (about $12 if you pay in 6 month bundles) will equal out if not be much cheaper than those other games, as well as it's on PC which means no new consoles to upgrade to. The game has some violence, but I highly doubt it's anything more than a 13-year old can handle. Not bloody or gory imo. Some swearing during cutscenes, nothing more than D*mn and Hell. and they are few and far between. As far as sexualily, there are conversations in which your character can choose to have sex with an NPC. This is not shown at all. Just hinted at. They walk off screen, fade to black, they come back on screen. Nothing shown. I didn't mark this because it's a decision option and depending on their decision it will or won't happen. I would say that if your child is playing in a guild with other players and uses a mic/headset to talk over skype/vent/teamspeak they are hearing more bad things than this game offers because you can't censor people. If you are on the line about this game just get it. It's free for a month, if you approve then good, if not, you at least get 1 month of playtime out of it, which is about what most kids spend playing 1 game these days anyway.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzydex June 2, 2013

overview of the game

the game is very fun game. it is meant for almost all ages. it does have lots of violence but the sci-fi film Star Wars does and its based off of the film. their is no blood. I have played for a few months now and I have not gotten any viruses or bad things on my computer. I have Norton security software (same thing as MacAfee) so that may help. the whole game depends on how you play it. you can be Sith (bad in the movie) but be nice and Jedi (good in the movie) and be bad. Bars and cantinas can be found everywhere but the only beverage I have been sold at one was "spiced nerf milk". some of the dancers are waring a little less clothing but their is no nudity whatsoever. the game used to have to be paid for (buy it then $14.95 a month) but now is free but you can pay to be a subscriber. you do not have to tell any other players any personal information. their is a chat bar that censors words. the strongest words used are the D-word (other word for dang) and the H-word (down there)
Parent Written bykennethh February 26, 2015

Customer service makes this game not worth playing

First of all, you are subject to the community which is not overflowing with good role models. But aside from that, customer service is awful and unresponsive. This game is dime a dozen, there are several MMORPGs out there on the market with the same gameplay just a different setting and at least their customers care about them. Our account was banned because someone hacked it and gold farmed on it. When i went to reactivate the account I was unable to so I got in touch with them over the phone. After hanging up and calling back 4 times I finally got an employee that sounded like english was actually her first language and at least she was able to tell me why I couldn't access my account. Until then, they hadn't even sent an explaination to my email when I actually got banned so I never even knew about it until that point. The person over the phone could do nothing to help me but open a ticket with account disputes because account disputes has no phone service. I've emailed them a few times, at two separate email addresses and--2 weeks later--I still haven't even received an automated reply. This is horrible service to a customer that had been subscribing for 2 straight years following the release. I've played alot of MMO's and I've had to deal with their customer service and frankly, I've never seen anything like this. I wouldn't waste my money subscribing to this game, play it for free if you have to play it at all but don't waste your money. Because when it comes down to it and you need their help they are utterly useless.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjamester989 February 22, 2013

989's review!

umm... how do i put this...I AM ONE OF THE BIGGEST STAR WARS FANS EVER! this game was one of most awesome i have ever played.ok first off it teaches how to play a basic mmorpg perfectly! the graphics are good, the voices are great, and the star wars feel is amazing. the language is almost never bad (it may be gruesome but not curse word bad. however there is some cursing from time to time) violence is not so bad.sexual themes is almost never there.(if you count learning about star wars history than don't ignore the learning rate)SO THANK YOU BIO WARE AND EA FOR THIS!!! miracle known as swtor. i give it a *5/5*
Adult Written byhwarming May 9, 2012

Wonderful MMO

An MMO based in the Star Wars universe, taking place many, many years before the movies. You can either choose to play on the Republic, or the Sith Empire. The player can choose to play as a Jedi, Sith, a Smuggler, a Bounty Hunter, a Soldier, and a Spy. Every single character that speaks is fully voice acted, and the player can choose different conversation choices, and can choose to play on the Light Side, or Dark Side. The game does include some sexual content with the romancing options, but it fades to black, nothing at all is shown, and sex is never mentioned. The game does deal with some more unsavoury topics, like slavery, greed, and corruption. Being an MMO it does have a monthly subscription fee of $15.
Kid, 11 years old December 4, 2013

Good Game Watch Out For Violence

This game is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Their is killing involved but no blood. Mild language and sex also but parents should be more worried about the killing in the game. I started off playing solid Republic which is the good side and that is less Violent story wise. It is addicting and you can lose track of time so maybe set up a time limit.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStrategist101 August 6, 2013

SWTOR

I honestly love this game. It has story, (Although I wish you could change the story more with your actions) characters that you can actually grow to care about as the game progresses, and many other features.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymomy4512 July 11, 2013

the old republic

its a great game and it should be rated e10
Adult Written byLeenasays... December 18, 2012

boring, but okay I guess

the only sexy stuff I have seen was kissing that's it. and yes there is violence but no blood and not gory at all. its boring because you have to sit thru thing after thing after thing. really no story and the only quest's you really do are collect bombs or disable them or kill monsters, that's it but its not to mature and it really is a pretty good game. so I mean if your kid is interested and you wanna buy it for um, I guess go ahead.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer February 17, 2013

Must-play for Star Wars fans!

First off, I'll just say this is a beautiful game. Bioware's storytelling is fantastic, the graphics are great, and the combat makes you feel like you are your class. With that out of the way, the rest of the review: Story: Set 3,000 years before the events of Episode III in the Star Wars saga, war embroils the Republic. The evil Sith Empire, pushed out of the known regions of the Galaxy so long ago have returned, striking from the storm-battered jungle world Dromund Kaas. They announce their arrival with the Sacking of Coruscant, the infamous siege of the Republic's Crown Jewel and the seat of civilization. The Jedi Temple was burned to the ground and the Knights themselves slaughtered by Darth Malgus (the Vader of this era and a boss in an endgame Flashpoint). The player can side with the Republic as a Jedi (Knight/Consular), Trooper, or Smuggler; or can choose a darker path and join the Empire as a Sith (Warrior/Inquisitor), Bounty Hunter, or Imperial Agent. Each class has it's own storyline, and can choose one of two Advanced Classes at level 10. Violence: Sci-fi violence is most decidedly in this game. Enemies will be mowed down by blasterfire, lightsabers, explosives, and Force attacks. No blood is shown, but enemies will fall to the ground in a realistic way with a look of horror on their faces. Corpses disappear shortly after being looted. In the Sith Warrior arc on Korriban, three prisoners may be executed, but it is up to the player whether or not to do so. The Inquisitor arc on the same world is given a main quest to torture a prisoner with Force lightning, and may do so with almost a cheerful manner. If it's a younger player, the Jedi Knight arc is rather clean of nihilistic behavior, instead favoring large battles and epic lightsaber duels. Scariness: Some, especially within the Operations. The 8-16 player endgame activities take you to an eerie ancient stasis prison in the Eternity Vault, where you must do battle with powerful bosses such as ancient Sith, a lava monster, and the powerful warlord Soa, the Infernal One (who also provides creepy enemy chatter throughout the Operation). Terror from Beyond is one giant Tron-meets-H.P Lovecraft affair, Scum and Villainy is in an eerily quiet desert town filled with mercenaries (which could scare some) that is being corrupted by a powerful Dread Master, a Sith with immense power over emotions as well as lightning and fire (which could scare the rest). The Dread War update features a lava world where the remaining Dread Masters make their home, and the players must go against hard-to-kill mobs and bosses, and finally take down the Dread Masters in two more Operations, the Dread Fortress and the Dread Palace. It is worth noting the Masters wear spooky gold masks, have a mantra that consist of "Birth, Fear, Pain, Death!" and want to kill everything in the Galaxy and then commit suicide. Sex: Flirtatious banter can be spoken by the player should they so choose, but will be clearly marked with a [Flirt] in the dialogue selection wheel. Strong reference is given to players sleeping with each other, but when this begins to happen, the screen fades to black and fades in again after the scene. After one of these scenes in one of the arcs, a female companion is seen putting her clothes back on while humming the Imperial March. Smuggler and Agent characters will have much more of these scenes. Additionally, one quest on Coruscant takes players to a seedy nightclub where scantily clad females are present. Outfits like those Princess Leia wore in Episode 6 are available for use on Female companions and avatars. The player may also pursue same-gender romance options, and the new planet Oricon features a conversation that mentions a soldier the mind-corrupting Dread Masters affected "believes he shot his husband". I have nothing against this myself, but different families have different values. Language: Occasional usage of d--- and h--- . Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Players can visit Cantinas and purchase fictitious drinks and meals (Corellian Cocktail, Rodian Mayonnaise Sandwich, etc). Several quests on the level 20 Planet Nar Shaddaa revolve around the refinement and trafficking of spice, the Star Wars version of narcotics. Republic players can help a group of addicts break addiction to such substances by destroying a spice lord's refinement plants. Role Models: Not much to say. Players can be Light Side or Dark Side regardless of Class. Light Side choices will spare lives and do good, while Dark Side choices kill mercilessly and generally be evil. Grand Master Satele Shan and Governer/Supreme Chancellor Saresh are both strong female characters and good role models, and Colonel Jace Malcolm is incredibly courageous. Don't look for good role models in the Dark Side, though. The Emperor bent on destroying all life and the gluttonous (and often-teased) Darth Baras will leave you disappointed. All in all, it's a great game, but if you have a younger Jedi who wants to adventure in Star Wars, set them up with Clone Wars Adventures first. They may not be ready for this one.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheCNGentleman December 16, 2015

The Force is Strong with this one!

This is a fun game for anybody, but for a Star Wars fan, it's the best MMO on the market at this point (seeing as how Star Wars Galaxies died a while back). It plays like most other MMOs like World of Warcraft most of the time, with On-The-Rails-Shooting Space Missions and typical Dogfight Controls for the Fighter-To-Fighter fights. The Controls, in my experience, are always responsive, never breaking the flow of combat. Combat itself is sometimes a drag fighting normal world encounters, but Flashpoints (SWTOR's version of Dungeons) are always challenging and stimulating. This, and PvP, is where the "Learning" happens. To survive these encounters, you HAVE to work as a team with other players. Trying to play through these alone would be suicide. You have to cooperate with other players to complete these missions, supporting the team as a whole in one way or another. If you try to do your own thing and ignore your companions, you get shot full of blasterfire, lightsabered, and force-lightninged before you can type "ow" in chat. You can also party-up in the open world, working together to complete story missions. The story itself is unique to each class, and is very understandable and usually interesting, if a little cliche at times. During dialogue, there IS swearing, and there ARE options to flirt and, sometimes, go a little farther (if you know what I mean), though nothing beyond kissing is actually shown. However, options like this are few and far between and, if the player is so inclined, easily avoidable. Only because of the reasons above (and the occasional "go cut out a creatures liver and bring it to me" quest) do I say that this should be played by people ages 14 and up. Other than the afore mentioned swearing and such, parents shouldn't worry about anything, and teens should get excited for a journey set a Long Time Ago, in A Galaxy Far Far Away.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoblemaster117 June 10, 2014

Not as bad as you think.

It is an epic game with loads of story-lines to choose from and kids can learn from choosing good or evil,the "gentlemens clubs" are pretty much palaces like jabbas and you don't interact with the dancers in any way...if your kids are allowed to see princess leia in ep. 6 than the dancers wont be to bad.Ther are bikini type suits etc. but that's usually only seen on the imperial fleet and you don't have to wear it.The violence may be scary but only in the cut-scenes...overall it is a great game people cuss in chat but you can choose that to go away.your character will cuss depending on which class you pick and some of the in game characters will cuss...the worst is d*mn and h*ll.
Adult Written byPrearistotle January 29, 2013

More Adult Themes than Most MMOs

Naturally there is violence in the game. There are a ton of sexual themes as well, however, no sex scenes (I don't know what Concerned... is talking about). You cannot have sex in this game, but there are a lot of "strip clubs" in the Star Wars universe. They are almost everywhere you go. There are also a lot of adult, sexual themes and they are more blatant than other, comparable games (like World of Warcraft). Would recommend this to mature teenagers and adults only.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 January 25, 2013

So epic

It's an awesome game. Violence can be rough but shows nothing graphic
Adult Written byandyof2410 June 7, 2012

best mmo i have ever seen.

i have done reserch on it, and i think it is a little violent, but teaches you that violence is not the best way. GAME ON!
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2012

Wow? Oh, you mean the that dusty game over there. TOR ftw!

After my parents finally agreeing to make an account on my behalf, i've finally been able to play my most anticipated game ever. Being a massive fan of KOTOR, i've never felt more at gaming home than returning to my fave genre of game crossed with the best star wars game of all time. Certain language is used, but no massive profanity. It's also very infrequent. People might blurt out against ESRB's blood and gore rating, but there's about 3 moves in the game that can cause bleeding for about, 3 seconds. This game is way better than WoW, but it's much larger as well. With a whole galaxy to comprehend, you'd need a lot of memory to get your computer to run this. Now, the sexual parts, it's no big deal. A bit of flirting and you can get ' invited to somebodies quarters ' and then it'll fade to black, so what happens is entirely up to your imagination. Back to the violence, actual ingame combat is better than WoW, but the cutscenes can be quite disturbing, once playing as my sith inquisitor, a cutscene suggested I'd sliced a guys neck and impaled somebody else slowly. The game can involve scenes of torture, death, and betrayal.