All parent member reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTheESRBisDumb9999 January 30, 2012

Just those two little things...

This Game is almost completely a T game. However, there are a few spots that just give it that extra little push that make it an M game. When you enter tombs/ruins, you are often confronted by zombies, which are decomposed (they have green skin and you can see inside their body a bit). There is also a fairly intense torture room at one point. If the game did not have these two things, it would be rated T.
Parent Written byJack Frost 89 December 7, 2011

Good for 13+

This game is fun. Nothing else to it. Violence is optional. It is not sexual at all. There is nothing that is majorly inappropriate. I think that this game is fine 4 kids. Also, THIS GAME IS ONLY RATED M BECAUSE OF A PC MOD!!! Some perv made it so that you can make girls topless. This mod cannot work at all on a ps3 or xbox 360.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybig old ZackMAN October 22, 2011

13+ for sure

it says it has "sexual themes" but there is so little it's not even worth saying anything about. I violence isn't all that bad. if your kid has played any COD games then you shouldn't worry about it. and the drinking isn't even a problem.
Adult Written bykronosdragon August 21, 2011

Nothing to be Scared of, Parents, Really.

I've been playing this game since I was about 12. In my opinion, it's a great game. What most parents think is "concerning" about this game is the language and violence, but in reality, you have to consider that there are more violent and openly offending games out there that kids can play online. The problem is not in the children, people. Parents overthink these things. Unless your child is overly-impressionable or psychotic, and you have done your job as a parent to teach them that they should not do these things in real life, then you have nothing to fear from this or any game. When you teach a child the difference between right and wrong, it is up to them to act accordingly. When you shelter them from games like this, games that are very popular in today's world, your "protection" can become harmful. Let children play this game, but only when you are sure that they understand this is only a fantasy world, and not real-life. It can teach a child that with every action, there is a reaction. Strategic planning and thinking outside the box play big roles in this game as well, not to mention that like most games, it develops hand-eye coordination. Yes, it can be bloody, but you have the option to turn it on or off as you so please. So, parents, please don't let this game scare you. There are worse things that happen in the real world, yet you go out and interact with it every day. Kids need to be exposed to some of these things so they know where the real lines are.
Parent Written byCarefulmom4 August 1, 2011

A perfectly acceptable game

I understand why some parents wouldn't want their kids playing this game but I have allowed my 13 year old son to play it after careful research. We had a long chat about the violence and language and i think he's mature enough not to let it affect his behavior in the real world.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byresponsible_adult March 1, 2011

Perfect for 13 and up

Parent of a 13 year old Written byD_Sides December 10, 2010

Love the game! Good for tweens

My kids are not aloud to play M games but this is my exception. In my opinion this game should be rated T. There is hardly any gore or blood and it is very non-visibal. My kid has a facination in midevil times now. I even play this game sometimes with my kid and I am not much of a gamer. I like the fact that for the most part you are killing monsters and goblins. Overall this is a great game! And as for language it is very minor. Finally a game with a good story line and is not about shooting everything in sight.
Adult Written byTommy from NY October 8, 2010

This game is very good. The language used has an occasional b...., but the if you dont look for them you might miss it. The game is violent, with blood and gore. The bodies remain. The highlights: if you do a bad thing, like steal or murder, you will get a bounty for it. (AKA the guards want you) This game teaches good lessons, but is violent and occasionally scary.
Adult Written bypooolll August 19, 2010

perfect for ages 5 +

love it my 5 year old plays it every day
Parent of an infant year old Written byStraightFacts July 14, 2010

Suitable for Kids. Doesn't Mean it's Understandable

This game has violence in it. How violent? It borders on cartoon violence. When a character is slashed blood doesn't go spraying nor is it even visible usually. Any undesirable content such as drinking comes with negative effects typically as if to discourage said acts. The game can be played on a very shallow level of "Go here and get this or kill this guy". Or it can be played on harder difficulties requiring a lot more strategy, complexity, and planning before one goes on a mission. Readers Digest Version: -Violence +Almost cartoon-like -Can be confusing +Kids who are straight forward in habit might be confused on objectives
Adult Written byballetbabe March 29, 2010

A Few Minor Concerns

I'd say the main concern with this game is the violence. It can be a bit much at times. Blood is present most of the time, and you can pretty much kill anyone you want. Innocent or evil. Another factor to consider is some parts of the game can be scary. Inside the gates of Oblivion resembles h*ll or a demonic underworld. The creatures can be scary as well. Language is mild. H*ll, da*n, bas**** are present. No sexual encounters. But the good characters are good role models and good defeats evil in the end. Parents talk about these issues with your kids and this game shouldn't be a big problem.
Adult Written byKate32 March 13, 2010

Great Game For Protective Parents.

I loved it. It is a amazing game and has amazing graphics. I don't allow my son to play any M rated games and most Teen games. I hate all shooters but when my son showed me this game( who is 13) i said you can get it but ill watch you play it first then we will decide if it is appropriate. I saw it and i thought, "wow! i didn't no that games can be this cool." So if you are a parent that is iffy about all games, I suggest that you do what i did, watch him or her play it. It really works!
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byLeighj February 4, 2010

Long and complex game that has a LOT of freedom

A personal favorite of mine. However, between a complex game engine which will lose players, and some more mature themes it's more appropriate for mid teens and up. I can teach some logic skills and memory.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byredshirt2188 December 18, 2009

EPIC'IST GAME EVER!!!

At the age your kids are able to understand this game it's good to play..unless your like my mother who didn't let my little sister play because it was"too scary" oh please..halo is scarier than this and my nephew played it at age 5. I looooove oblivion! I love it! This game is soooo epic it's sick! Oblivion and Halo 3 is where i spend my extra time..! anyone who doesn't like it has no clue what they're talking about!......GO 360 HOOORAAAAAHHH!!!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMV123 December 9, 2009
Parent Written byPlague December 1, 2009

Oblivion

Aside from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Oblivion (along with the 2 other expansions) has to be one of the greatest games I have ever played. The graphics are simply breathtaking and the battle sequences are fantastic. I also love that you have an entire province to explore, and many places to find. Even thought the main quest is quite short, the many different side quests are really great. The only thing I didn't like is that they didnt put spears in the game.
Parent of a 11 and 16 year old Written byOblivionIV October 23, 2009

Anybody can play this game!

Love the game myself my kids love it to all you have to do is turn the filter off and if my kid dies he learns fron his mistakes.
Educator Written bycoachjrn April 14, 2009

The definition of a great RPG

Oblivion is a great RPG hands down. The controls are incredibly easy to use, and even if you step away from the game for a little while, it is still incredibly easy to pick back up and never miss a step. The game is a great mix of quality AND quanity. I have spent almost 130 hours of gameplay doing the side missions and exploring the world, but still have not seen it all, discovered it all or beaten it all. The mainline story quests can be beaten within 20 hours, but the side missions is where the game's strength really lies. Each side mission is totally unique and in doing so, allows for a deeper story to be told. It does have violence against other human and human like characters as well as a whole host of otherworldly baddies, but it is not glorified or the focus of the game. I would recommend at least 16, but you could delve maybe to 14 or 15 if you have a child that is more mature or one that you can have a quality discussion with them. This is the standard that all RPGs should meet.
Adult Written byskingstrang April 9, 2008

The most addictive game ever made. Period.

This is a very good game. The graphic violence and creepy atmosphere (while not appropriate to younger gamers)is really quite necessary for the game they wanted to create. I think that the "M" rating is a bit extreme, but it would be an iffy "T". An issue not covered by any other reviewers is the ability to do drugs, not just alcohol, but drugs. Skooma it is called, and it makes you sluggish and distorts your vision. Also, you will be arrested if you are caught doing skooma.
Adult Written byIchybon April 9, 2008