All parent member reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Adult Written byballetbabe March 29, 2010

A Few Minor Concerns

I'd say the main concern with this game is the violence. It can be a bit much at times. Blood is present most of the time, and you can pretty much kill anyone you want. Innocent or evil. Another factor to consider is some parts of the game can be scary. Inside the gates of Oblivion resembles h*ll or a demonic underworld. The creatures can be scary as well. Language is mild. H*ll, da*n, bas**** are present. No sexual encounters. But the good characters are good role models and good defeats evil in the end. Parents talk about these issues with your kids and this game shouldn't be a big problem.
Adult Written byIchybon April 9, 2008

wow! It is Absolutely amazing

Adult Written byBase_Delta_Zero April 9, 2008
Adult Written byPontiusPilate April 9, 2008
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Spectacular Role-Playing Game

I have never seen a game quite like this. You can do almost anything. Doing bad things have negative affects, such as going to jail, but it is also quite easy to get away with things. This game depends on your child. It should not have been rated M, I believe that was only for it's complicated gameplay. You should know your child before letting them play this. If they will be a good guy, then this can be a very fun game. But there are also many kids who will just run around slaughtering villagers and stealing things left and right. If this is the case, the huge range of actions you can take in this game would not be suitable for your child. There is an option to drink, but this will have negative status effects. There are blood and corpses shown, but if you are good, it will mostly be corpses of creatures and not people. Still, they can be rather nasty, so this game is not for the very squeamish. This game has absolutely amazing graphics, and has a huge land to explore. You can follow the quest line or just wander off on your own and go absolutely anywhere. You can ride horses and even a unicorn! It is very easy to get lost in this game, meaning both in game and out. I have been so sucked in that hours and hours will go by without me realizing. Don't be surprised when every time you have to quit you feel as if you haven't gotten anything done. I defenitly reccoment this game to any mature player. It is by far one of the best games made yet, and I hope that future games will continue upon which "Oblivion" has built.
Adult Written byblondy881 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Good game

The only real problem is violence. That and you can be somewhat of a criminal.
Adult Written bylipsofanangle April 9, 2008
Its a neat game I wouldn't mind letting my kids play it.But it dose contain some sexuality and a lot of violence it's not for younger kids
Adult Written byNightshade April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCC April 9, 2008

Set aside a LOT of time!

Love this game, got to level 33 and pretty much did everything I could do! I wouldn't recommend for children under 10-13 due to some mature content like drinking, killing and some of the story lines.
Adult Written byWhitneyRobins April 9, 2008

AMAZING!

Oblivion is a beautiful creation. It might be a little too much for younger kids, but I know that my 8 and 9 year olds very much enjoy sitting and watching me play. The game gives you the option to steal or kill, but there are consequences in the game. It's a good excuse to talk about social behavior with your middle-aged kids.
Adult Written byGAM3R April 9, 2008

great game

this game is a very good choice for someone in early teens and up. great fantasy environment with lots of different experiences to go through where you can become the a hero of the entire game. some people think that the "negative" actions that you can do in the game will influence other people to mimic what they do in the game. i you feel that is the case then u r crazy and dont need to play the game. its all fiction and nothing is real so dont ever think u r experienceing anything from the game and have to act on it. again if u feel the events inside this game r real then u should never even look at a gaming platform. but all in all this is a very good game
Parent of a 2 year old Written byredshirt2188 December 18, 2009

EPIC'IST GAME EVER!!!

At the age your kids are able to understand this game it's good to play..unless your like my mother who didn't let my little sister play because it was"too scary" oh please..halo is scarier than this and my nephew played it at age 5. I looooove oblivion! I love it! This game is soooo epic it's sick! Oblivion and Halo 3 is where i spend my extra time..! anyone who doesn't like it has no clue what they're talking about!......GO 360 HOOORAAAAAHHH!!!
Adult Written bytotymac April 9, 2008
Adult Written bySlyAardvark December 27, 2015

I good

This game was originally rated T, but some pervert made a mod on the PC and so this game's rating changed to M... The sexual themes are not even bad, some people might even giggle a little bit because you can take people's armor then you can see there under wear. The only language that I saw through out the hole game was d*mn, b*sterd, and h*ll. Blood and Gore: there is some blood on your sword after you fight somebody or something. If you drink alcohol theme there is bad things that happen to you.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byStephen the great December 26, 2012
LEARNING

Ok for an 11 year old!

This game is ok for an 11 year old. It has a bit of violence and a couple b****** but all of that is very mild. You have the choice to drink but it is encouraged not to. This a really great game!!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTheESRBisDumb9999 January 30, 2012

Just those two little things...

This Game is almost completely a T game. However, there are a few spots that just give it that extra little push that make it an M game. When you enter tombs/ruins, you are often confronted by zombies, which are decomposed (they have green skin and you can see inside their body a bit). There is also a fairly intense torture room at one point. If the game did not have these two things, it would be rated T.
Parent Written byJack Frost 89 December 7, 2011

Good for 13+

This game is fun. Nothing else to it. Violence is optional. It is not sexual at all. There is nothing that is majorly inappropriate. I think that this game is fine 4 kids. Also, THIS GAME IS ONLY RATED M BECAUSE OF A PC MOD!!! Some perv made it so that you can make girls topless. This mod cannot work at all on a ps3 or xbox 360.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybig old ZackMAN October 22, 2011

13+ for sure

it says it has "sexual themes" but there is so little it's not even worth saying anything about. I violence isn't all that bad. if your kid has played any COD games then you shouldn't worry about it. and the drinking isn't even a problem.
Adult Written bykronosdragon August 21, 2011

Nothing to be Scared of, Parents, Really.

I've been playing this game since I was about 12. In my opinion, it's a great game. What most parents think is "concerning" about this game is the language and violence, but in reality, you have to consider that there are more violent and openly offending games out there that kids can play online. The problem is not in the children, people. Parents overthink these things. Unless your child is overly-impressionable or psychotic, and you have done your job as a parent to teach them that they should not do these things in real life, then you have nothing to fear from this or any game. When you teach a child the difference between right and wrong, it is up to them to act accordingly. When you shelter them from games like this, games that are very popular in today's world, your "protection" can become harmful. Let children play this game, but only when you are sure that they understand this is only a fantasy world, and not real-life. It can teach a child that with every action, there is a reaction. Strategic planning and thinking outside the box play big roles in this game as well, not to mention that like most games, it develops hand-eye coordination. Yes, it can be bloody, but you have the option to turn it on or off as you so please. So, parents, please don't let this game scare you. There are worse things that happen in the real world, yet you go out and interact with it every day. Kids need to be exposed to some of these things so they know where the real lines are.