All parent member reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Parent of a 13 year old Written byresponsible_adult March 1, 2011

Perfect for 13 and up

Parent of a 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byGimmick February 26, 2011

stunning game

fantastic game filled with spectacular sights, monsters and landscapes. true, it is violent but blood is rarely seen and the occasional "d**n" and "h**l" are present as well, but the overall quality of the game, easy gameplay and wonderfull sights make this one of the best games ever on console and pc
Parent of a 13 year old Written byD_Sides December 10, 2010

Love the game! Good for tweens

My kids are not aloud to play M games but this is my exception. In my opinion this game should be rated T. There is hardly any gore or blood and it is very non-visibal. My kid has a facination in midevil times now. I even play this game sometimes with my kid and I am not much of a gamer. I like the fact that for the most part you are killing monsters and goblins. Overall this is a great game! And as for language it is very minor. Finally a game with a good story line and is not about shooting everything in sight.
Adult Written byTommy from NY October 8, 2010
This game is very good. The language used has an occasional b...., but the if you dont look for them you might miss it. The game is violent, with blood and gore. The bodies remain. The highlights: if you do a bad thing, like steal or murder, you will get a bounty for it. (AKA the guards want you) This game teaches good lessons, but is violent and occasionally scary.
Adult Written bypooolll August 19, 2010

perfect for ages 5 +

love it my 5 year old plays it every day
Parent of an infant year old Written byStraightFacts July 14, 2010

Suitable for Kids. Doesn't Mean it's Understandable

This game has violence in it. How violent? It borders on cartoon violence. When a character is slashed blood doesn't go spraying nor is it even visible usually. Any undesirable content such as drinking comes with negative effects typically as if to discourage said acts. The game can be played on a very shallow level of "Go here and get this or kill this guy". Or it can be played on harder difficulties requiring a lot more strategy, complexity, and planning before one goes on a mission. Readers Digest Version: -Violence +Almost cartoon-like -Can be confusing +Kids who are straight forward in habit might be confused on objectives
Adult Written byKate32 March 13, 2010

Great Game For Protective Parents.

I loved it. It is a amazing game and has amazing graphics. I don't allow my son to play any M rated games and most Teen games. I hate all shooters but when my son showed me this game( who is 13) i said you can get it but ill watch you play it first then we will decide if it is appropriate. I saw it and i thought, "wow! i didn't no that games can be this cool." So if you are a parent that is iffy about all games, I suggest that you do what i did, watch him or her play it. It really works!
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byLeighj February 4, 2010

Long and complex game that has a LOT of freedom

A personal favorite of mine. However, between a complex game engine which will lose players, and some more mature themes it's more appropriate for mid teens and up. I can teach some logic skills and memory.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMV123 December 9, 2009
Parent Written byPlague December 1, 2009

Oblivion

Aside from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Oblivion (along with the 2 other expansions) has to be one of the greatest games I have ever played. The graphics are simply breathtaking and the battle sequences are fantastic. I also love that you have an entire province to explore, and many places to find. Even thought the main quest is quite short, the many different side quests are really great. The only thing I didn't like is that they didnt put spears in the game.
Parent of a 11 and 16 year old Written byOblivionIV October 23, 2009

Anybody can play this game!

Love the game myself my kids love it to all you have to do is turn the filter off and if my kid dies he learns fron his mistakes.
Educator Written bycoachjrn April 14, 2009

The definition of a great RPG

Oblivion is a great RPG hands down. The controls are incredibly easy to use, and even if you step away from the game for a little while, it is still incredibly easy to pick back up and never miss a step. The game is a great mix of quality AND quanity. I have spent almost 130 hours of gameplay doing the side missions and exploring the world, but still have not seen it all, discovered it all or beaten it all. The mainline story quests can be beaten within 20 hours, but the side missions is where the game's strength really lies. Each side mission is totally unique and in doing so, allows for a deeper story to be told. It does have violence against other human and human like characters as well as a whole host of otherworldly baddies, but it is not glorified or the focus of the game. I would recommend at least 16, but you could delve maybe to 14 or 15 if you have a child that is more mature or one that you can have a quality discussion with them. This is the standard that all RPGs should meet.
Adult Written byskingstrang April 9, 2008

The most addictive game ever made. Period.

This is a very good game. The graphic violence and creepy atmosphere (while not appropriate to younger gamers)is really quite necessary for the game they wanted to create. I think that the "M" rating is a bit extreme, but it would be an iffy "T". An issue not covered by any other reviewers is the ability to do drugs, not just alcohol, but drugs. Skooma it is called, and it makes you sluggish and distorts your vision. Also, you will be arrested if you are caught doing skooma.