Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

A must-play RPG for mature fantasy fanatics.

Adult Written byDKR725 February 2, 2011

The REAL review of TES4

Okay, here is the honest truth about this game, it's amazing. As for content, I laugh at the fact that the game is rated M. Especially since "Blood and Gore" are labeled on the game package. The reason for this is that the blood that you see in the game is so mild, it resembles that of a T rated game. There is some mild language and innuendos along the way, but it is pretty hard to find them. The most important part of my review, is to let other parents understand something they most likely did not know: Oblivion was originally rated T, but later was changed to M on account of "mods" made by a third party hacker which had nothing to do with the game itself, which added intense blood and gore and nudity to the game. Basically, if you simply buy the game in a store, you will be purchasing a T rated game with an M rated label.
Adult Written byfredd. June 8, 2019

help

"Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch! I'm confiscating your stolen goods. Now pay your fine or it's off to jail." "Stop! You violated the law. Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit." "It's all over, lawbreaker! Your spree is at an end. I'll take any stolen goods you have. The next move is yours -- Pay your fine, or I haul you away!" "Looks like you are in some trouble. Since we are friends, don't worry. I'll look the other way and take care of that fine for you." (Disposition above 90, bounty less than 1000) "Stop, criminal! I've heard of you. Your criminal exploits are well-known. Pay the fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are forfeit." (Infamy above 100) Not Enough Gold "Stop! You violated the law. Since you lack the funds to pay the court, you must serve out your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit." "Well now, what do we have here? Caught in the act and no gold to pay your fine? I'm confiscating your stolen goods. Now it's off to jail with ya!" "Break the law on my watch, will ya? I'll be confiscating your stolen goods. Oh, and no gold to pay your fine, hmm? It's off to the lockup then!" Go to Jail "Hope you rot, criminal scum." (If disposition is under 50) "Serve your time peaceably, and pay your debt to society."(Disposition above 50) Resist Arrest "Then pay with your blood!" "I'll make Captain for this!" (If the player is disguised as the Grey Fox) Combat "You should have paid the fine!" "Man down! Man down!" (When a fellow guardsman has been killed) "It's the Gray Fox! You're under arrest!" (Only if the player is wearing the Grey Cowl) Trespassing "Trespassing is against the law! Guards! I'm placing you under arrest!" Theft "I saw that, criminal scum!" "Stay where you are, thief!" "Drop it, you sticky-palmed little worm!" Assault "You there, stop!" Pay Gold "Okay. Here's the procedure. We go to the castle. First we search you, confiscate any stolen goods. Then you pay your fine, and we release you." (Disposition below 50) "Here's the procedure. We go to the castle. First we search you, confiscate any stolen goods. Then you pay your fine, and we release you." (Disposition above 50)

Ease of Play
Adult Written byNoman13 December 25, 2015

One of the best games of all time!

Oblivion is the 4th game in The Elder Scrolls game series and is an incredibly fun game. This game has almost everything you would want from an rpg. Character creation, a huge open world, tons of unique weapons and armor, even spell creation! Even though the game came out in 2006 its graphics are still pretty decent. Violence 6.5/10 - The violence in this game is incredibly tame for an rpg. You kill humans and monsters with variety of weapons including swords, axes, bows, daggers, and knives. When you hit someone and they don't die there is NO BLOOD! If they do die there will be some blood on the floor underneath them and sometimes there will be blood on your weapon. Sex 2/10 - Not much to speak of, The occasional innuendo. If you loot the armor of a dead person you can see them in there very unattractive underwear. Language 3/10 - Again, not much. The occasional damn, hell, or whore. Additional content: Another thing that will concern some parents is The Dark Brotherhood quest line where the players are payed to kill certain people. This quest line is completely optional, as with all quests in this game. So if trust your son/daughter not to do it than you should be fine. Overall Oblivion is (in my opinion) one of the best games of all time. A must play for any rpg fan old enough to play it.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrh73 August 21, 2014

Setting the record straight!

Oblivion is an excellent, absorbing, expansive game, that will enthrall any child (or adult) interested in a swords-and-sorcery type world. It won numerous Game-of-the-Year awards in 2006, and was one of the major games that caused people to upgrade their original Xbox to the Xbox 360. Although the graphics have aged a bit, it's still very pretty to look at, and the gameplay is still captivating. It should be noted that it was originally rated T, and I have the PC game box to prove it, as I've been playing it off and on since its original release. Bethesda later caved to parental pressure to change the rating to M based on the release of unauthorized, downloadable, third-party mods FOR THE PC VERSION ONLY, which let you play the game with topless females. The actual game content that you buy in the store (PC or console) is still a T-rated game!!! There are 5 aspects to Oblivion's rating label that I'll address: 1) Blood and Gore - if your child has seen the Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings movies, they've seen gorier stuff than this. There will be a bit of blood on your sword after a battle that soon fades away. There are cartoonish-looking corpses and zombies strewn about some dungeons (if you want more realistic ones, look to the game's sequel, Skyrim). Nothing terribly egregious. 2) Language - VERY sparse. Of the thousands of lines of spoken dialogue in the game, "h**l" and "d**n" might get used a handful of times. Oblivion is NOT Grand Theft Auto. No f-bombs, s-bombs, or G-d's. When there is any mild cursing, it's usually contextually appropriate, related to a pretty intense occurrence in the game. 3) Sexual Themes - this is pretty laughable. You can strip dead bodies down to their drab, unflattering underwear when you loot them for armor, which might elicit a giggle or two the first time your son sees it, but it quickly becomes a non-issue. There are a few sporadic instances of double-entendre (a line of dialogue or two, and a book), but if your pre-teen understands it, then you've got other problems than what's in Oblivion. It will likely sail over their heads. 4) Use of Alcohol - another laughable one. Oblivion is no more corrupting from this standpoint than a stroll through the grocery aisle. Yes, there are alcohol bottles everywhere in the game, but it just blends in with all the other useless detritus you see on shelves and tables (e.g. bowls, spoons, flower pots, etc...). One town specializes in making wine, complete with vineyards outside the town walls, but no one is seen drinking it. All the alcohol is in plain, non-descript, brown (beer, mead, ale) or purple bottles (wine), and you derive no net benefit from drinking it, so what's the point? You can't get drunk and stagger around, and other than a temporary numerical change in your stats, you won't notice any difference in your character. There is one character in the game you might meet who does slur his words and act drunk, well, because he is; but, your quest to reunite him with his long-lost twin brother results in him changing his ways and going sober. What's so bad about that? 5) Violence - okay, yeah, it's violent, but only as much as you make it. I suppose you could wander around picking flowers for hours on end and never raise an angry hand to anything or anyone if you wanted to. Even at its most violent, it's still much less violent than any first-person shooter. And there are consequences for getting out of line and attacking innocent people. My son tried becoming the town bully...once. He soon got his comeuppance from the town guard. In short, Oblivion is pretty tame as far as mature content goes, compared to other RPG's. It's also much less dark than either its predecessor (Morrowind) or its sequel (Skyrim), and as such, is probably the most approachable of the Elder Scrolls games for kids. The warning label should really just say, "Obsessive-compulsives approach with extreme caution."

Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written bykcgunesq January 18, 2011

Great game, with a few considerations for pre-tweens.

The optional "Dark Brotherhood" quest line is the darkest part of the game and really adds little overall. Except for DB, players characters can play rather virtuously. Violence is not especially graphic. Although alcohol is available, it is not glamorized or prominent. There is very little reason to drink it in the game and it has negative consequences. One can easily complete the entire game without drinking, as far as I recall. Alcohol only enters the game in that players may find bottles of wine or beer and it can be sold along with other found items to merchants for money. Although most characters can be stripped to underwear, this is only possible on NPC and only after they are "dead". It is not provocative or lurid. It occurs as a process of taking the armor or clothing. Language is overall, quite mild. "Bad" behavior has in-game consequences and treating people nicely is often rewarded.

Adult Written byOblivion lover434 July 30, 2010

perfet game for kids +12

I think its a good game. it has its flaws like: you can kill almost everythin and everyone and there is drinking but not very much and they swear very little like they might say h*ll or b*stard or d*mn

Parent of a 5, 12, and 16 year old Written byChris T. January 1, 2018

Amazing, only game better is ESV.

Oblivion still holds up well 12 years later, and holds a really important place in my heart. It is a brilliant RPG and is OK for any tween who's into RPGs and hours of exploration. It has a smart main story and hundreds of side quests and is still a very graphically beautiful game. There is mild violence with a tiny bit of blood and characters and animals can be killed. Also, as every elder scrolls fans know there is alcohol/drugs like mead and skooma. This should definitely be a game that your child plays before Skyrim, because the content is much milder.

Adult Written bySlyAardvark December 27, 2015

I good

This game was originally rated T, but some pervert made a mod on the PC and so this game's rating changed to M... The sexual themes are not even bad, some people might even giggle a little bit because you can take people's armor then you can see there under wear. The only language that I saw through out the hole game was d*mn, b*sterd, and h*ll. Blood and Gore: there is some blood on your sword after you fight somebody or something. If you drink alcohol theme there is bad things that happen to you.

Ease of Play
Adult Written by1raptor March 1, 2015

NOT AN M RATED GAME

I would like to say first off that this game was only rated M due to user created mods that made it extremely graphic, violent etc. The worst this game gets is some ripped up zombie critters that have gaping holes in their flesh, but to be honest it's not as bad as it sounds. The only thing else is sometimes stupid-looking blood that gets on weapons and ground etc, etc. In terms of anything else, "hell" and damn" were the only language, wine is drinkable and has negative affects, and sex is just silly. Without mods, there isn't any. This game is easily the best of the elder scrolls, even better than the follow-up, skyrim, and while many may insist skyrim is superior in every way, when really it's only technically "better" is in graphics, and even then it's not as pretty. JUST BUY THIS GAME NOW.YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Adult Written bydannytay334 December 7, 2013

MY FAV GAME

Im only 9 and I am getting the game this christmas and I have watched so many youtube videos to know if it is appropriate,things do bleed occasionaly but it is the mildest thing in the game and you just see blood on the walls or floor (this is only pc) if you are good you defeat merhunes dragon if your bad you join the gray foxs club (the thieves guild) where there is 3 rules 1.do not steal from the poor 2.do not kill 3.do not betray and people reference s*x only saying i could kiss you or hey b*by OVERALL GREAT GAME FOR TEENS AND YOUNG PRETEENS

Parent of a 7 year old Written byReviewFriend September 27, 2013

Amazing Educational Experience

This game. THIS GAME! Amazing for anybody playing it. The game does have an 'Mature' rating from the ESRB, but it was originally 'Teen', the only reason the ESRB changed the rating was because of third party mods being accessible that rendered female characters topless. It being third party, it would be only accessible to the PC version of the game, and even on the PC, your child probably wouldn't even figure out how to install a mod. The so called 'blood and gore' descripted in the rating is just silly, because, there is little to no blood in the game. And the game being made in 2006 the little blood that IS in the game looks unrealistic. I hope this review helped you in your decision of buying this game for your child.

Adult Written byBitten-Off-More January 11, 2013

The Joys of Oblivion

Although Oblivion is "M" rated, the only issues I have to be concerned about are the "violence" in the game. But unlike "Assassins Creed" or FPSs (that her friends have access to!) the violence is against mythical creatures and people, using medieval weapons and spells. No guns. Also, quite a bit of thinking and consideration goes into how best achieve an objective, using the resources at your disposal. Then thinking about how you'd like you character to progress. Two of the things that interested my girls were the detail involved in "designing" a characters face, and the clothing the characters can wear. Admittedly, in the game you can see characters stripped down to their underwear, but it's no wore than what can be seen at a beach or on a TV advert. The graphics are beautiful, and my daughter spends time roving the land just to see it. Grass, trees, mountains, sunsets. Houses can be bought and furnished, you can have companions. Just about any current PC (as of 2012) can run this program. I highly recommend this game for 10 and over.

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byStephen the great December 26, 2012

Ok for an 11 year old!

This game is ok for an 11 year old. It has a bit of violence and a couple b****** but all of that is very mild. You have the choice to drink but it is encouraged not to. This a really great game!!

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTheESRBisDumb9999 January 30, 2012

Just those two little things...

This Game is almost completely a T game. However, there are a few spots that just give it that extra little push that make it an M game. When you enter tombs/ruins, you are often confronted by zombies, which are decomposed (they have green skin and you can see inside their body a bit). There is also a fairly intense torture room at one point. If the game did not have these two things, it would be rated T.

Adult Written byJack Frost 89 December 7, 2011

Good for 13+

This game is fun. Nothing else to it. Violence is optional. It is not sexual at all. There is nothing that is majorly inappropriate. I think that this game is fine 4 kids. Also, THIS GAME IS ONLY RATED M BECAUSE OF A PC MOD!!! Some perv made it so that you can make girls topless. This mod cannot work at all on a ps3 or xbox 360.

Educational Value
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybig old ZackMAN October 22, 2011

13+ for sure

it says it has "sexual themes" but there is so little it's not even worth saying anything about. I violence isn't all that bad. if your kid has played any COD games then you shouldn't worry about it. and the drinking isn't even a problem.

Adult Written bykronosdragon August 21, 2011

Nothing to be Scared of, Parents, Really.

I've been playing this game since I was about 12. In my opinion, it's a great game. What most parents think is "concerning" about this game is the language and violence, but in reality, you have to consider that there are more violent and openly offending games out there that kids can play online. The problem is not in the children, people. Parents overthink these things. Unless your child is overly-impressionable or psychotic, and you have done your job as a parent to teach them that they should not do these things in real life, then you have nothing to fear from this or any game. When you teach a child the difference between right and wrong, it is up to them to act accordingly. When you shelter them from games like this, games that are very popular in today's world, your "protection" can become harmful. Let children play this game, but only when you are sure that they understand this is only a fantasy world, and not real-life. It can teach a child that with every action, there is a reaction. Strategic planning and thinking outside the box play big roles in this game as well, not to mention that like most games, it develops hand-eye coordination. Yes, it can be bloody, but you have the option to turn it on or off as you so please. So, parents, please don't let this game scare you. There are worse things that happen in the real world, yet you go out and interact with it every day. Kids need to be exposed to some of these things so they know where the real lines are.

Adult Written byCarefulmom4 August 1, 2011

A perfectly acceptable game

I understand why some parents wouldn't want their kids playing this game but I have allowed my 13 year old son to play it after careful research. We had a long chat about the violence and language and i think he's mature enough not to let it affect his behavior in the real world.

Educational Value
Adult Written byJuggernaut93 May 4, 2011

Good fantasy rpg

Oblivion is a game I own and enjoy, but it may be difficult for parents to decide whether it is kid-friendly. This is because of the sheer scope of the game. You can do almost anything. It is fully possible to charge through the streets, cutting down everyone in sight, although you will be pursued by guards and law enforcement agents if you do. Or you can be a perfectly righteous crusader for justice. The number of possibilities is nearly infinite. Some things that are constant are: Violence. Usually, the violence in Oblivion is rather mild, no dismemberment or head-chopping, they just fall down, with small amounts of blood. However, there are some fairly disturbing things. When the player encounters zombies, they are VERY disturbing looking. They look like a human than has been fed through a wood-chipper, and then haphazardly put back together. They are stark naked (although partially skeletal, so no real nudity is shown) they do however, show lungs, intestines, and occasionally exposed brains. Similarly mutilated corpses can be found in the lairs of necromancers and other monsters. As for sex, there really is none, except the occasional mild innuendo. You have the choice, after killing a foe, to take all of their armor, leaving them only in underwear. No nudity. Language wise, it's seldom encountered, with the worst word being d***. I would recommend this game for tweens and up, if they can handle some of the more disgusting monsters.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written byc-nerd April 7, 2011

Ok for young adults responsible for their own decisions.

My 10 year daughter visits her friend who has it. Every time she came home from the friends house she had a transference of anger and violent tendencies. A sibling finally connected the dots in that she was playing Oblivion just before coming home. The friends house is now out of bounds and the positive behavior has been restored. When she's old enough to discerns fiction from reality (age 18+) then, she can make her own decisions. This transference of violent behavior after playing the game should be an alert for most parents. Be aware.

Privacy & Safety