All member reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

A must-play RPG for mature fantasy fanatics.

Parent Written bydannytay334 December 7, 2013

MY FAV GAME

Im only 9 and I am getting the game this christmas and I have watched so many youtube videos to know if it is appropriate,things do bleed occasionaly but it is the mildest thing in the game and you just see blood on the walls or floor (this is only pc) if you are good you defeat merhunes dragon if your bad you join the gray foxs club (the thieves guild) where there is 3 rules 1.do not steal from the poor 2.do not kill 3.do not betray and people reference s*x only saying i could kiss you or hey b*by OVERALL GREAT GAME FOR TEENS AND YOUNG PRETEENS
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeto007 September 5, 2009

Pretty Much the Greatest game on Next Gen Consoles yet!

Just like Fallout 3, this is a magical type of game that you can play for many hours and never be bored. While it is quite Violent, but not TOO much gore, other than the environment of the Fighting Arena, It isn't bad enough to be an M rated game. It should have been its original Teen rating. The only thing I have to say about sexuality is one particular Book, which is EXTREMELY suggestive. Language can somethimes be innapropriate, but not enogh to complain about, and you have the option to drink. I have tried hard to try to find something bad about this game, but cannot. The combat, the spells, the massive area, and the amazing way to play as YOU and not what the game wants you to be, makes it a must buy. And at the amazing 20$ price, there is no reason to object. 5/5
Teen, 13 years old Written byflarez77 July 4, 2009

oblivion

Really fun game
Parent of a 7 year old Written byReviewFriend September 27, 2013

Amazing Educational Experience

This game. THIS GAME! Amazing for anybody playing it. The game does have an 'Mature' rating from the ESRB, but it was originally 'Teen', the only reason the ESRB changed the rating was because of third party mods being accessible that rendered female characters topless. It being third party, it would be only accessible to the PC version of the game, and even on the PC, your child probably wouldn't even figure out how to install a mod. The so called 'blood and gore' descripted in the rating is just silly, because, there is little to no blood in the game. And the game being made in 2006 the little blood that IS in the game looks unrealistic. I hope this review helped you in your decision of buying this game for your child.
Kid, 11 years old November 10, 2011

Best for 10+

Oblivion is quite a good fantasy game, but it contains sexual language. My only instances of this are when a grizzled veteran of the Fighters Guild calls you a "High-Tom-Titty" and when an argonian says "Powdered deer penis" and there IS a book called "The Lusty Argonion Housemaid". Blood is infrequent, although stains of blood on clothes and objects appear, it disappears quickly. Blood shines on your sword, and so on. Drugs, well, players can drink wine, beer. Nothing bad, right? Well, there is a drug similar to crack or LSD called "Skooma". There are various skoomahouses (Like a crackhouse) scattered around the expansive world. When taken, skooma drains everything but intelligence and speed, which it t temporarily increases. You can buy drugs and black magic spells from various shady sellers. The Dark Brotherhood is a touchy guild, as you have to kill someone to get in. Also, you can kill innocents, although it is strongly discouraged. It is the opposite of GTA, whereas in that game police are very weak. The patrolmen are 10 levels higher then you, and have much better gear. One good thing, is if you have a kid interested in lore and books, he will spend days at the library reading full length books everything from fiction to comedy to docs to biographies. One scary quest involves going through traps, perception, and lots of other things.
Kid, 12 years old March 25, 2011

Epic Adventure

Now so I dont waste your time with this reveiw about the age part I'll go ahead and tell you why its rated M because on the PC version there was a mod to play as a topless woman. Now for you who want my opinion. This game is pretty darn good. Its easier to play than Elder Scroll games before and has many hours of content. I still have alot to explore and sidequests to complete and with Skyrim coming this year im pumped. This is definitely a game 11 year olds should be able to play.
Adult Written byballetbabe March 29, 2010

A Few Minor Concerns

I'd say the main concern with this game is the violence. It can be a bit much at times. Blood is present most of the time, and you can pretty much kill anyone you want. Innocent or evil. Another factor to consider is some parts of the game can be scary. Inside the gates of Oblivion resembles h*ll or a demonic underworld. The creatures can be scary as well. Language is mild. H*ll, da*n, bas**** are present. No sexual encounters. But the good characters are good role models and good defeats evil in the end. Parents talk about these issues with your kids and this game shouldn't be a big problem.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGorbiJones June 16, 2009

This review is inaccurate.

First of all, do any of you remember when Oblivion first released? Remember what letter it had on it. That's right, a "T", not an "M". The only reason they changed it to an "M" rating was because of a user-created mod that allowed for topless women. User-created. As in, not enabled by the developers. Since the 360 and PS3 versions of the game do not allow players access to user-created mods, they should technically still be rated Teen. Likewise, the violence isn't that bad! Things bleed a little, but it's not like arms are viscerally sliced off or goblins are brutally decapitated. All they do is bleed. You have a little blood on the ground and on your sword, and the corpse is in perfect condition. No cuts, scrapes, bruises, or breaks. The only time things get a bit grisly is when you encounter zombies, who are mutilated a bit, but not terribly. The sexual content, though it does exist in-game, is only referenced. There is no actual sex in the game. At the most, people just sleep in the same bed. Fully clothed! They're not even under the blanket! Besides, the references are nothing teenagers haven't already been exposed to at this point in their life. Pretty much all of them have already had The Talk. The majority of the drugs is one called "Skooma". It is barely mentioned in the game, and there are maybe two quests that directly have to with it. In closing, Oblivion is a fantastic RPG for teenagers of all kinds. The review found here gives no almost no info regarding these topics, simply saying, "there is sexual content" or something wooden like that. Thank you for your time.
Adult Written byIchybon April 9, 2008

wow! It is Absolutely amazing

Adult Written byBase_Delta_Zero April 9, 2008
Adult Written byPontiusPilate April 9, 2008
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

Spectacular Role-Playing Game

I have never seen a game quite like this. You can do almost anything. Doing bad things have negative affects, such as going to jail, but it is also quite easy to get away with things. This game depends on your child. It should not have been rated M, I believe that was only for it's complicated gameplay. You should know your child before letting them play this. If they will be a good guy, then this can be a very fun game. But there are also many kids who will just run around slaughtering villagers and stealing things left and right. If this is the case, the huge range of actions you can take in this game would not be suitable for your child. There is an option to drink, but this will have negative status effects. There are blood and corpses shown, but if you are good, it will mostly be corpses of creatures and not people. Still, they can be rather nasty, so this game is not for the very squeamish. This game has absolutely amazing graphics, and has a huge land to explore. You can follow the quest line or just wander off on your own and go absolutely anywhere. You can ride horses and even a unicorn! It is very easy to get lost in this game, meaning both in game and out. I have been so sucked in that hours and hours will go by without me realizing. Don't be surprised when every time you have to quit you feel as if you haven't gotten anything done. I defenitly reccoment this game to any mature player. It is by far one of the best games made yet, and I hope that future games will continue upon which "Oblivion" has built.
Adult Written byblondy881 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Good game

The only real problem is violence. That and you can be somewhat of a criminal.
Adult Written bylipsofanangle April 9, 2008
Its a neat game I wouldn't mind letting my kids play it.But it dose contain some sexuality and a lot of violence it's not for younger kids
Adult Written byNightshade April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCC April 9, 2008

Set aside a LOT of time!

Love this game, got to level 33 and pretty much did everything I could do! I wouldn't recommend for children under 10-13 due to some mature content like drinking, killing and some of the story lines.
Adult Written byWhitneyRobins April 9, 2008

AMAZING!

Oblivion is a beautiful creation. It might be a little too much for younger kids, but I know that my 8 and 9 year olds very much enjoy sitting and watching me play. The game gives you the option to steal or kill, but there are consequences in the game. It's a good excuse to talk about social behavior with your middle-aged kids.
Adult Written byGAM3R April 9, 2008

great game

this game is a very good choice for someone in early teens and up. great fantasy environment with lots of different experiences to go through where you can become the a hero of the entire game. some people think that the "negative" actions that you can do in the game will influence other people to mimic what they do in the game. i you feel that is the case then u r crazy and dont need to play the game. its all fiction and nothing is real so dont ever think u r experienceing anything from the game and have to act on it. again if u feel the events inside this game r real then u should never even look at a gaming platform. but all in all this is a very good game
Teen, 15 years old Written bySilas Y October 14, 2015

What other parents might not know.

First of all TES Oblivion was not rated M on account of mods it would be AO(Adult Only) if it was. It was originally rated T but had complaints by parents. I agree with those parents by the way. This game has lots of violence and blood. Blood lies on the ground after kill and in forests or remote areas random people come up to you and jump scare the crap out of you then attempt to kill you while saying "is that all you got" or "I'm not impressed" or something wired like "bushuward". If you want to let your kids play under 13 let them play TES Morrowind, Oblivions predecessor it has less blood and less "scary" themes. If they don't get violent let them play Oblivion. The horror themes are sometimes creepy such as a zombie that looks torn apart. Or a rotted corpse hanging from rope. Oblivion also has mild language such as da*n, basta*d and he*l. If Oblivion was a movie it would be rated 14A for Violence, blood, horror themes and mild sexual themes and mild language.