All member reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

A must-play RPG for mature fantasy fanatics.

Adult Written bygaryjones23 April 9, 2008

Superb!

This is an excellent game for adults as well as teenagers. My child bought this game and loved it and I sneak in a few hours a week too. As another reviewer said, it does teach children to make important decisions like whether or not to drink alchohol or to do drugs. The violence is a bit iffy, but if you think your child can handle it, this will be a great game for them
Parent of a 2 and 11 year old Written byZephyrzInferno March 19, 2011

Why is this rated M?

I can't for the life of me figure out why this is rated M. The only possible down side to this game is the blood, which is not gratuitous or that you can fight humans. The deaths are not gory and are usually a result of self defense. We have a strict no M game for kids in our house, but I really think this should have been rated T. I put in 200+ hours into this game and think it's one of the best RPGs for modern gaming systems.
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written bysupermom101 March 8, 2009

Great for teens 14 and up

My husband is a big gamer and is always spending his money on new games and all these things I have never heard of before. One day I saw him playing a game that was beatiful and had amazing graphics. I asked him what he was playing and he said Oblivion. I watched him play it and their was miner blood and some iffy things like you can walk into a house and steal a banana or somethin. But in the game their are punishments if you steal or murder. Like people will not trust you anymore or you can even go to jail. The violince is not very bad I was surprised it was not rated T for teen. Before long my two kids were dying to play it. I let my older kid John who is now 15 play it. I didint let my younger boy play because of the violence. This game is amazingly beatiful and for the violence it is not bad except for a little blood. And the only other thing is that someone can drink ale or something and you can start feeling the affects like fatigue or it can even heal yourself.
Teen, 15 years old Written byforitxxar April 9, 2008

Fun at first, but gets boring fast.

THIS IS FOR THE 360 VERSION! Pros: Huge world, tons of quests, 150+ hours of gameplay, complete freedom. Cons: Main quest is extremely repetitive, landscape is repetitive, dungeons are repetitive, combat is repetitive, just about everything is repetitive, very glitchy at times(you can get arrested for no reason, you can get stuck and not be able to move, quest NPCs can end up on top of buildings or at the top of a tree, etc.), certain aspects of the game seem half done, level scaling is done HORRIBLY(you can beat the Arena "champion" at level 5 if you wanted.), recharging your weapons gets old FAST, spell casting system is annoying and not done well, AI needs some work, character creation was done horribly, and more. Overall? Fun game for a little while, but not worth more than $30, in my opinion. It entertained me for around a week or two. I don't recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byParadox414 May 11, 2015

Amazing Game

Oblivion is an amazing game! First, the blood. Let's be honest it looks cartoonish and identical to paint. The game doesn't want you to kill people it actually really says you shouldn't since the people around you would treat you different. There is a little positive message in it as well. A group of once enemies come together to stop a more evil force. The swearing is very mild the worst word they use is bastard which is very rare.
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2015

It is a really fun game with practically no swearing and 0 and i mean 0 sex tiny bit of blood
Teen, 15 years old Written byNerevarine March 2, 2015

Uriel Septim not killed by "evil goblins"

the reason i became part of this site was to point out that emperor Uriel Septim was NOT killed by "evil goblins" but was killed by the worshipers of the prince of destruction. anyone who had even BOTHERD TO LOOK AT THE PEOPLE would know they are not "evil goblins". also this is a good game. most 10 year old gamer can deal with swords getting a bit red and the odd guy in his underwear. sure, there is alcohol, some betting, the speed boosting narcotic "skooma", and a few zombies about the place, a few dodgy books, but its really not that bad. i know you will think its just because i am a kid who likes the game, but maybe i have actually PLAYED IT.
Adult Written by1raptor March 1, 2015

NOT AN M RATED GAME

I would like to say first off that this game was only rated M due to user created mods that made it extremely graphic, violent etc. The worst this game gets is some ripped up zombie critters that have gaping holes in their flesh, but to be honest it's not as bad as it sounds. The only thing else is sometimes stupid-looking blood that gets on weapons and ground etc, etc. In terms of anything else, "hell" and damn" were the only language, wine is drinkable and has negative affects, and sex is just silly. Without mods, there isn't any. This game is easily the best of the elder scrolls, even better than the follow-up, skyrim, and while many may insist skyrim is superior in every way, when really it's only technically "better" is in graphics, and even then it's not as pretty. JUST BUY THIS GAME NOW.YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
Kid, 12 years old January 18, 2015

Should be rated T

Teen, 16 years old Written byWyndcaller March 19, 2014

My two cents.

The game has swearing and slight sexual themes/references, but some are only found in certain books/quests in-game, and there aren't really too many. There are some places with fairly intense blood and/or fairly disturbing objects, such as corpses, but many of the violence can be removed with mods. There is indeed alcohol in-game, but in my opinion, the biggest concern in this game is violence, although it can be removed almost entirely. This game is very fun, and I really enjoyed it, but I recommend anyone at any age to get mods to disable blood and gore.
Teen, 15 years old Written byIsaak_Hlr February 27, 2014

Bloody, yet fun.

The game has a lot of BLOOD, but there isn't any gore. If you are interested in the game, look up what the blood is like, the headless zombies, and thats about it. That's the only innapropriate thing about it. Im 12 and i'm allowed to play it. My parents are very strict on M games, but i got this one. Also they sometimes say "damn' and "arse", but thats rare.
Parent Written bydannytay334 December 7, 2013

MY FAV GAME

Im only 9 and I am getting the game this christmas and I have watched so many youtube videos to know if it is appropriate,things do bleed occasionaly but it is the mildest thing in the game and you just see blood on the walls or floor (this is only pc) if you are good you defeat merhunes dragon if your bad you join the gray foxs club (the thieves guild) where there is 3 rules 1.do not steal from the poor 2.do not kill 3.do not betray and people reference s*x only saying i could kiss you or hey b*by OVERALL GREAT GAME FOR TEENS AND YOUNG PRETEENS
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2013

Best. Fantasy. Game. Ever.

This game is amazing! Hours and hours of challenging, but not too challenging combat, and roaming around. The only thing is the violence. Blood squirts from enemies as you shoot them with an arrow or slash them with a sword. This is basically the fantasy version of gta. You don't really have to do the missions, and if you do, you will be very glad you did. I highly recommend this game and you need to play it.
Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2013

Amazing game, for mature people.

When I say Sex, I don't mean there is any sex, people will talk about rape and such I mean. As for violence blood will splatter but not much. I think for mature 12 year olds this would be a great game, if you're like me, who doesn't murder everyone, follows the story. I personally have many characters who I roleplay as, Assassin/Thief, a Royal Knight, and a Neutral Mage.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byReviewFriend September 27, 2013

Amazing Educational Experience

This game. THIS GAME! Amazing for anybody playing it. The game does have an 'Mature' rating from the ESRB, but it was originally 'Teen', the only reason the ESRB changed the rating was because of third party mods being accessible that rendered female characters topless. It being third party, it would be only accessible to the PC version of the game, and even on the PC, your child probably wouldn't even figure out how to install a mod. The so called 'blood and gore' descripted in the rating is just silly, because, there is little to no blood in the game. And the game being made in 2006 the little blood that IS in the game looks unrealistic. I hope this review helped you in your decision of buying this game for your child.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLOLzor1dmean September 16, 2013

Cool!!!!

im a 11 year old,this game contain some blood but not too much gore .parnets can give the young gamers play this because this is funny. you can hide the blood there no SEXUAL THEMES THATS SAY MY DAD!!! :D play that game if you want
Teen, 14 years old Written byBionic Reviewer August 27, 2013

Good RPG, but mods gave it it's rating.

First things first: Oblivion has the content of a T-rated game. It's change to M-rating was very controversial and I will discuss that later. 1. Storyline: Set in the Imperial Province of Cyrodiil, one of many nations in Tamriel, Oblivion opens (as do all Elder Scrolls games) with the player in a cell for reasons unknown. The emperor (voiced by Patrick Stewart), during an escape, enters the cell and leaves through a hidden passage with his bodyguards, and the player follows. The emperor, after being slain by cultist assassins, gives the player the Amulet of Kings, and the orders to "close shut the jaws of Oblivion" (Oblivion being the realm of the Daedra, or demon princes.) The player learns that the cultists belonged to the Mythic Dawn, a group who worship the Daedric Prince Mehrunes Dagon, lord of destruction. One thing leads to another, and the players are swept up into a quest to stop Mehrunes from entering Tamriel and destroying it. Other arcs from the DLC include gathering the relics of the Divines and becoming a Knight of the Nine in order to slay the Sorcerer-King Umaril the Unfeathered (young adventurers may get a kick out of being called "Sir Knight" during this questline and after it), which can be found in the Knights of the Nine DLC, and stopping the apocalyptic Greymarch for the Daedric Prince of Madness (and amusing dialogue, judging by your conversations with him), in the Shivering Isles DLC (some creatures found in the Isles, like Flesh Atronachs and the Gatekeeper, may prove disturbing for younger players). 2. Violence: Bandits, Daedra (demons), Zombies, and more must be fought with steel and spells. Players don armor, wield any of three types of weapons (Bladed weapons, consisting of Shortswords, Longswords, and Claymores, Blunted weapons, consisting of Maces and Axes, or Marksman weapons, consisting of Bows and Arrows), and choose between spells from one of various magical schools (Destruction magic being lightning, fire, and ice spells, Conjuration allowing them to summon minions to aid them, Restoration, to heal themselves and allies, and Mysticism to, well, not sure what that does yet). Small amounts of blood will spray when you strike an enemy with a weapon, leaving a cartoony blood stain on the floor (which elongates if they fall too far to the side while dying). Blood will also coat the player's blade further, the more blows they land (these go away after a while). Magic will result in cartoonish effects (lightning will cause the player's target to crackle with electricity for a time, fire will wreath them in flames, etc). A bloodied corpse can be seen hanging upside down in one area of a room if your torch is drawn, with it's rib cage and leg bone visible. 3. Sexy Stuff: Nothing much I've seen so far, save for being able to strip a dead opponent of their armor, leaving them in their underwear. 4. Drinking, Drugs, Smoking: Some alcoholic beverages are available, and can be consumed for temporary benefits and negative longer-term effects. Skooma is also referenced, and is implied to be a hallucinogenic, addictive drug. Players will run across at least one Skooma addict in Shivering Isles (in the first area of New Sheo you enter). 5. Language: Some light use of D--n and Bast--ds. 6. Religious Concerns: The Nine Divines are basically gods (although they are technically merely a powerful race called Aedra, they are viewed as deities by the people of Tamriel). Each one has a sphere of influence, similar to the systems of the Greek and Roman mythological gods: Zenithar is the god of Commerce, Stendarr, the god of Mercy, Mara, the goddess of Love, etc. Talos was a mortal named Tiber Septim before becoming an Aedra, and now is the god of War and Justice. These could cause some issues with more religious-minded families. 7. Notes: The game is basically T-rated, as mentioned earlier. However, with the ability to make "mods" (modifications to the games code) to the game, a gamer was able to create a mod that turned all of the women in Oblivion topless. Many other modders followed suit. THESE MODIFICATIONS ARE ENTIRELY OPTIONAL. You must know how to access and install them first, which is most likely out of the question for most players, as Steam does not offer easy to access mod support for this title. The M-rating was received on this premise alone, not on the game's own merits.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystorm22 June 22, 2013

An amazing game, but dark...

To begin with, this game is amazing. There are tons of hours a person can spend playing this, and it is extremely large, with a map approximately 16 square miles and nearly 200 different quests, it would be very hard for a person to see every part of the game. There is very little sexual referencing in the game, and I doubt that I ever noticed any of it more than twice. There is, also, alcohol such as mead, beer, and wine. There is also a strong drug called "skooma." The violence in the game is moderate, with players able to swing swords, maces, and shoot bows. However, there is no gore, and the blood is minimal (which can be turned off on PC). As for cursing, there is never more than an infrequent "hell." There are also positive messages, and the game can teach discipline and the consequences of breaking laws (e.g. paying a fine, going to jail, etc.). However, characters can join a group called the "Dark Brotherhood," a group of assassins, and are given missions to murder other characters in the game. Also, if you purchase the "Game-of-the-Year" edition, there is a place included called the Shivering Isles. The Isles are a bad place, with many depressive characters and a bleak, hopeless environment, which can make the player feel hopeless and depressed. One mission includes a man asking you to kill him. Overall, however, a person won't likely see everything in the game, and if they do, there isn't a very big risk in allowing them to see all of it. The game teaches people how to make the right decisions and to handle money, and can teach a person how to creatively think and use logic to solve problems. Although the game can be dark, it is a great game which any fan of RPG's wouldn't want to miss.
Teen, 15 years old Written byvention April 30, 2013

good game

Best game ever! its soo fun and cool, but it has some stuff thats not for kids.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byStephen the great December 26, 2012

LEARNING

Ok for an 11 year old!

This game is ok for an 11 year old. It has a bit of violence and a couple b****** but all of that is very mild. You have the choice to drink but it is encouraged not to. This a really great game!!