All member reviews for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

A must-play RPG for mature fantasy fanatics.

Kid, 12 years old December 22, 2012

RATED T!!!

THIS GAME IS EPIC!!! I have not played much, but the little bit I HAVE played was extremely fun and it doesn't seem that bad. Kids that are maybe 11 or 12 should be aloud to play it. It definitely exceeds its predecessors. Honestly they should NOT have changed it's original T rating to M.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAIDS69 December 20, 2012

AIDS

its like doras mouth
Kid, 10 years old December 7, 2012

Ok for kids

Its a great game. I play it a lot and I think it shows the interesting lives that the people that are very hard. Its not all about killing if you join the mages guild you dont have to kill any one
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlduindies December 1, 2012

LEARNING

You... You are the one I have seen in my dreams.

As a bit of an Elder Scrolls geek, I enjoyed this title and would recommend it to most people who enjoy RPGS as long as they are over ten. The cartoony graphics tend to lighten the game. So long as your child is under supervision or is trust-worthy, then you have nothing to worry about. The worst nudity gets is when a character can get in their underwear, but with Mods from sites like "The Oblivion Nexus" and "Planet Elderscrolls" can add nudity. The worst that sexual features get in the game can be found in books, while one quest involves a gang of female brigands who lure males from pubs to their house offering them "Favors" and instead taking their coinpurse. The worst violence gets is that sometimes you will see a dismembered head or a hand. But the player can get a mod (As mentioned before) to remove these and help "Nerf" the game's features a bit. Some characters can die in scenes, and these aren't disney deaths. When someone dies here, there is nothing you can do but take a momento from the scene of the death and bring it to a temple (No spoilers) or make a little shrine, or even loot it for yourself. A player can indulge in criminal acts and join an assassin's guild or a thieve's guild, but only if they commit the acts in the first place. Stolen items may not be sold to normal merchants, and if a guard catches you stealing, all the cities will try and arrest you. So criminal acts really come down to the player's conscience, or in my case, what they want the character to be like. There is some humor in the game and a good deal of fun to be had if you aren't being too serious about it and looking at it as War and Peace. Players can drink alcoholic beverages, but these have negative side effects and as such, can annoy players into no longer drinking (Parenthood lessons!) As the player explores the game, it can be a timesuck, but with a bit of wise decision making, a parent can make this experience a good one. Now, if you want a kid under 13 to play, you may want to "Mod" the game by adding files to it, thus making it more appropriate. One of these mods removes blood, another removes any dismemberment, another replaces hanging corpses with companion cubes (Portal/Portal 2) and much more. If you intend to mod the game, be careful. Make sure to read about the mod and only download from a reliable source. I recommend "Nexusmods" or "Planetelderscrolls". The first one mentioned has a download manager that makes mod installation easy. Now, this game was a bit harshly reviewed, and for good reason. But really, the writers here seemed not to have played through the entire story. I will not spoil ANYTHING, but throughout the story, characters can sacrifice their lives to help you save innocent lives, and these characters are honored in a memorial involving swords. Cursing is no problem. The word h*** or s**** is seldom used, nor is f****. Minor words such as "d***" are used, but h*** is often replaced by "Oblivion" which is a sort of netherworld in The Elder Scrolls' world. Being frugal is encouraged, as some of the best items can only be earned by spending "Septims", the currency of Tamriel. I found myself doing math problems to manage my expenses, so yes, this is a game that should be given a fair chance. Do not trust my review, nor anyone else's. Look the game up, watch some videos, learn the lore of the world, talk to your kid, and then you are fit to choose whether or not the game is good for your child. Take your sword in hand, parent. For this is your time to make a decision, your time to shine, your time to matter. Choose wisely, as each choice could have downsides and upsides. Your child is unique, they are special and one-of-a-kind. Shouldn't your choices be based on them, and not other children and their parents?
Kid, 10 years old September 11, 2012

One of my favorite games of all time!

It's the biggest game and biggest masterpiece of an RPG game in the world! I thought fallout 3 was the best game ever until I played this. I was looking for fallout 3 but this is much better.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJrp001 September 9, 2012

13+

Its a good game. but not the best game for all kids. though it is a better than skyrim in terms of content.
Kid, 10 years old August 21, 2012

Not for: 9- ; Pause: 10 - 13; Okay for: 14+

I really love the Elder Scrolls series, except for ES 1 & 2. Number 4 is very awesome, I think that Oblivion is okay for 14 & Up, but know your child if they're 13 and under, like you have to know that they're Mature enough to play it. I don't think there is much sexual content, but there is alot of Violence. Just make sure you know your child before he/she plays Oblivion. Mason out!
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2012

LEARNING

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - THE BEST!!!!

This is a fab game for anyone who loves a good rpg with lots of mini quests aswell as a main one. Its very long but as being an rpg thats a good thing isn't it? The graphics are amazing and best of all are 3D. There is violence in the form of combat and drugs and drinking but not alot and you not supposed to or else bad things happen so I suppose that's a good thing in a way. For 13 and under, parents should decide whether they wish for their children to play it or not but above that, it's a great game everybody and I would highly recommend it! :) Here are some reasons to help parents decide: There is swearing but very little! There are drugs/drinking but it is bad! Violence is only used when necessary! Some slightly mature innuendo (unless your children are knowlegable to the subject it won't mean much to them!) It's brilliant and will keep them occupied for hours! It's quite cheap now (around £10-13) Now I don't know what "T's" or "M's" are, but has been bbfo rated 15 for moderate violence and that's it! So know your child, and if you think their mature enough, GET IT! because it'll really make their day!
Teen, 13 years old Written byChristian Burgins July 2, 2012

Awesome

I think this game is awesome. I'm a little late on playing this game because I have been playing another great game called Skyrim. I like this game because the end will depend on you. It is a pure RPG.
Kid, 10 years old June 10, 2012

LEARNING

It is really not that bad!

Yes i am 10 yes i am a kid. But none of these are reasons not to play this game. Oblivion is not bad at all. My 8 year old cousin plays it and learns from it. It was made in 2006 so the graphics obviously suck. Thats unrealistic im probably being really confusing but any ways my point is its very unrealistic it was originally rated T but then a pc mod came out and it was made by some pervert. You can probably tell where im going with this. IT IS NOT A BAD GAME just gets really boring after awhile. Also this game is very optional. If you want you can go to hell and screw yourself in the corner or you can be a nice civilized person and go with the word of god that is what i do.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycambasboy May 6, 2012

General review of Oblivion

A great game by Bethesda about exploring and conquering new and exciting dungeons. Also it's not about killing everything in sight but if you do the guards come after you and arrest you. It's an open-world exploring game which you can explore at your own pace.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 February 27, 2012

Nah.

It sucks.I hated this and got this game off my Xbox after 3 hours of playing it.I'd much rather play Skyrim.Even Morrowind is much better than this.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybaesean February 18, 2012

Why do I still come here?

This game is not as bad as some may believe. Now, CS, please forgive me, for I am about to harp on your ridiculous rating of Oblivion. 1.) Oblivion would be rated T if it weren't for the mod for the nude lady for the PC. 2.) Sure, there's some blood! But play any RPG for an Xbox, PS3, or PC, and you're gonna get it. So you people on Common Sense need to stop giving these games outrageous ratings, and get a hold of yourselves!!! The worst thing in this game is the Dark Brotherhood, because you can kill at free will. Sure, and I am a part of this brotherhood, but do you see me running around, shooting real people with a bow and arrow? NO!
Kid, 11 years old February 12, 2012

Elder Scrolls Oblivion has it all-Violence, Gore, Language, Drinking, and sexual refrences.

I know a lot of people like Elder Scrolls, but I didn't find Oblivion very interesting. There is violence, you kill animals and people and blood is shown neat their body. There is also scenes that show heads stuck on spikes in oblivion, which is disturbing. There is also drinking, mild sexual refrences and uses of b-stard, so this isnt an appropriate game for children.
Kid, 11 years old February 10, 2012

Boring RPG that is all about killing.

This game was very dissapointing. I was really excited when I bought it, but once I played it I realized that it was terrible. First of all, whenever it has an arrow pointing towards an objective when you complete the objective the arrow is still there. Second, the screen is dark almost all the time and it is very hard to see. Third, your character runs so slowly that it takes forever to get somewhere without a horse. And it is very violent. You kill animals and innocent people and blood gets all over the ground. If your kids want to play this lame excuse for a videogame then wait until they are at least 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byscrolls76 February 7, 2012

Awesome game!

Perhaps one of the most breath-taking games out there. AMAZING gameplay, well written story and dialogue as well as good graphics. Excluding mods, this game should be rated T. There may be blood but its at a minimum plus little gore. The language isn't very bad at all. The closest thing to sexuality are the female's large breast. Over all, its a great game and I highly recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHuhthing February 4, 2012

Liberating, yet Semi-Gory

This is a great game. You can do whatever you want in it. It can feel liberating to play a game where you decide what to do. When you loot corpses and take the armor, yes, the body is left in its underwear. But there's no sexual themes implied with it. It's not like you dry hump the body or anything. Yes there is blood, but that is to be expected. However, in the arena, there are literal streams of blood running through the floor and blood is wiped all over the walls. You can choose to kill anything that moves, or you can be nice. It's fine for mature kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTheESRBisDumb9999 January 30, 2012

Just those two little things...

This Game is almost completely a T game. However, there are a few spots that just give it that extra little push that make it an M game. When you enter tombs/ruins, you are often confronted by zombies, which are decomposed (they have green skin and you can see inside their body a bit). There is also a fairly intense torture room at one point. If the game did not have these two things, it would be rated T.
Parent Written byJack Frost 89 December 7, 2011

Good for 13+

This game is fun. Nothing else to it. Violence is optional. It is not sexual at all. There is nothing that is majorly inappropriate. I think that this game is fine 4 kids. Also, THIS GAME IS ONLY RATED M BECAUSE OF A PC MOD!!! Some perv made it so that you can make girls topless. This mod cannot work at all on a ps3 or xbox 360.
Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2011

No real sex!

First of all, there is no sex. Just because you can strip people down their underwear (bra if it is a woman) doesn't nesisarily mean that their is sex in it. 2 people can sleep in the same bed, but they don't take their clothes off or get under the covers! I think that it is fine for ages 11 & up.