All parent member reviews for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Parent Written byAaron Smith December 5, 2011

Skyrim

Have your kids ever seen the Lord of the Rings. Well this is almost exactly like that. There is violence but nothing uncommon. It is a great game with amazing graphic, vast amount of play time and freedom of choice. I have watched my 14 year-old son play and have approved.
Parent Written byTheRealReviewNow March 26, 2014

The Real Review: The elder scrolls v Skyrim

if your child is asking for The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim it is a fun game but there is a scene at the start of the game where a prisoner is decapitated but what i found out was that you can look around in this part so i tried it and you can look away from that scene and that pretty much all the gore in the game but it is sand box game so you can choose to not do violent things and be a hero or not.
Adult Written bybigman99100 November 26, 2011

GReat game

First, let me say that I love this game. But there really is no need for it to be rated M. It has very little blood, no cursing, and the only sexual content is refereces. Honestly, if this game were a movie, it would be PG 13 at MOST! But games always get overrated, and thats why its rated M. This is still though a great game for anyone above 11
Parent Written byJacob sli. May 6, 2014

Undeserving of the M rating

In the elder scrolls v skyrim you play as the "dragon born". You travel and explore around the vast open world of skyrim. Although there is violence in the game it is not an excessive and there is certainly a lot less violence than most m games. The game is not based around the idea of killing waves of enemies it is based around the idea of going on quests and completing missions. The sexual content is at a minimum there are a few characters waring revealing outfits but other than that. The drug and alcohol is at a bare minimum. I personally think the game should be rated teen not m. My daughter is 14 and played the original dungeons and dragons roll playing game she loved it. She recently got an xbox and wanted to get this game she convinced me to let her get it and I watched her play and played a little bit myself. After playing the game I think this game is undeserving of the M rating. I would happily let a 12 year old play this game.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bybig cool man of cool March 6, 2014

This is the best game ever with common sense and ESRB thinking its bad!

NO SEX AND MINIMAL VIOLENCE AND NO LANGUAGE AND THE DRINKING THING IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byPaladin357 March 4, 2012

Skyrim is more more like an edgy T for teen.

This game is one of the best RPGs on the market right now. This is one the first absolutely open ended game I've ever seen, letting you choose any direction you want to go in, from hero to villain and everywhere in between. The things you should be worried about have more to do with the language, which is kept to a surprising minimum, and the violence. The violence is for the most part, muted as far as blood is concerned. There are so cinematic finishing moves that can be considered a bit brutal, but these are usually no worse than the regular combat. The moral choices are also something to consider, as these do give the option to choose evil as well as good. However, for teens that understand it's only a game, this isn't really a big issue. There is a lot of religious mythology, and numerous referrences are made to deities and demons, however, again, so long as the player remembers it's just a game, no real big issue. It should be noted that when choosing the path of good or evil in the game, appropriate consequinces befall these choices, such as rewards for heroism, and punishment for criminal actions. I started out playing the game thinking that my younger brother would be too young for it. This has changed almost immediately, as I haven't found a hint of sexuality, and with the blood so completely muted, I let him try it and he's been enjoying it ever since. One last warning, there is a slight referrence to homosexuality in the game, with the option to persue marriage extending to both genders, no matter the selected gender. However, the option to persue marriage is a small one, and by avoiding a simple piece of equipment in the game, you can bypass this altogether. Over all, the game has been worth every cent, and well worth the money of any sand box RPG fans out there.
Adult Written byNoman13 November 1, 2015

The best game I have ever played!

A huge world, fun story, tons of side missions, and tons of different weapons, spells, and armor make this the funnest game I have ever played. Though it is quite fun, it is very violent, you kill a variety of enemies including humans, undead skeleton things called Draghr, vampiers, and others. when you kill enemies they spurt blood and yell, quite brutal. The language is limited to words they would during the time period in which this game takes place.(i.e. "bitch","damn","hell", and "whore").
Parent Written byThreadedmercury May 28, 2012

No good or evil

The main problem with this game is that it is very demonic in parts and tends to suck you into situations in which you have to do something evil in order to progress. Occasionally you have to quit and go to a earlier save to avoid doing things you don't want to do. Occasionally morally ambiguous. I am a 48th level Mage and the game is very addictive, but seems to lead to the viewpoint that there is no good and evil, only relative values based on your own selfish desires.
Educator and Parent Written byTimotha Pitts June 22, 2014

Appropriate For Your Children!

Common Sense Media is totally overrating this game. Skyrim is perfectly fine for all ages! In the execution scene your avatar looks away from the beheading. The sexual content in the game are only references. The violence is nothing a 9 year old couldn't handle.There is little to no gore in this game. Yes, you can buy alcohol in Skyrim but it doesn't do you any good. Buying mead is about as good as throwing your money away in this game. This game is fine for any 5th grader and I should know that because I'm a student counselor. I got this game for my two 12 and 6 year old sons. They love this game and the fact that there are dragons and werewolves and goblins reminds them that it is all fantasy and NOT reality. All in all this game should be rated T for teen.
Parent Written byPopo1234 October 12, 2013

Anybody should play skyrim

FIrst. I have played through the game multiple times and I have seen no sexual content whatsoever. Second. There is violence but not really that bad though. Lastly. On the game you play as Dovahkiin. He is a hero you save the world from dragons.
Parent of a 5, 12, and 14 year old Written byseahorse January 12, 2012

not too bad of a game

it is a good game and has violence in it but not to bad
Adult Written bywhats right November 26, 2011

AWESOME GAME

What's wrong with this game? Nothing. There is no language, sexual references that can be found in a PG13 movie, and some unrealistic blood spray that cna also be foundd in PG13 movies. Great game for anyone 12+
Parent Written byChelsea SB November 14, 2011

Mildly violent game, good for older teens

I had originally bought this game for my older sons 17th birthday. My 15 year old son also wanted to play this game, so I looked it up on common sense. The reviews I read made me want to throw this game away immediately! Luckily, I spent some time watching my older son play it. The game is full of moral choices, leaving the decisions up to the player. I watched as my son was given the choice of destroying a town, or saving it. To my delight he saved it! I think this game gives children good practice making good or bad moral decisions. There are plenty of good role models in this game, as well as bad role models. I didn't find any sexual references in the time I spent watching my son. The game involves using swords and magic to defeat the various monsters. The magic involves things like throwing a ball of fire at an enemy or summoning a creature to fight for you. The fighting with the sword involved some blood that is shown on the creatures skin or fur. In my opinion, this game is overated on this site. Don't get me wrong, this game is not for little kids. I decided to let my child play this game. I don't think that this game is allowable for a 12 or 13 year old. However a 15 year old is a different story.
Parent Written byLara J August 27, 2013

Skyrim v

Not for kids under age of 18
Parent Written byStephen22 July 7, 2013

Great for 12 and up!

This is a fantastic game. I have watched my 12 year old play it and it seems amazing, I don't know how this got rated 18+. Any teenager can play this and most 12 year olds can play it. The main thing is the violence. There are axes and swords and magical things, lots of battle, nothing crazy, though. The violence is similar to the level of The Lord of The Rings. Some people are talking about sexual content, that's hardly an issue, sexual content is very low. The worst you can find is mild innuendo. You may find some people half naked but it's pretty much like being at a pool. If your child has been to a pool then the sexual content isn't a problem. The language isn't bad, not anything a 12 year old doesn't know in fact most 10 year olds actually use the language. The worst I found was the 'D' word. Some people say that there is a 'B' word somewhere in the game, didn't find that, though. It's also an amazing game, the graphics are beautiful, fun quests, big world to explore lots of nice towns and cities, wherever you go there's always something fun, the story is great, too. There is also some alcohol but that's hardly an issue. There is beer and wine but what 12 year old has never heard of that. Drugs are also present. There is a fictional drug in the game called Skooma or something, nothing bad, though. I'm sure all kids know what drugs are. Basically the only thing you need to worry about is the violence, if your child is afraid of dragons and has nightmares from scary things then it's not for them. If your child goes to school then they know all of the above, I've heard kids making violent jokes and things like that. A great game for 12 and up. Buy this game for your teenager/preteen! They will love it! I rate this 5/5
Educator and Parent Written byBurtonid January 5, 2014

Accurate skyrim review. In's and out's!

I find a lot of the other reviewers have inaccurate reviews with things written that aren't very true. This is the best game I have ever played and I think people need to play this but need accurate info about it first................. Sex-First of all I have never seen any nudity or sex depicted and can't think of one time when there was even a reference to sex. You can get married in the game. Also I know that if the game is being played on a PC there are mods available that make NPCs nude but that would have to be sought out then installed to actually see. Overall sex and nudity is a 0/10..................... Drugs/ Alcohol- the use of drugs and alcohol is very minimal. I've ran into a skooma dealer twice in my 650+ hrs of gameplay. Also there is one quest where you can go into a cabin in the woods and see people under the influence of it. Also there is wine or mead or ale for sale at some places but the only quest where you can actually get drunk is where you have a drinking contest. Overall anything involving drugs or alcohol is such a minimal part of the game that it is barely noticeable. 2/10 at worst................ Swearing - swearing is barely noticeable as there is only about 3 swear words through the entire game and even then it's only words like d*mn, sh*t, and b*tch instead of c**t, c**k, or f**k..................... Magic/occult/gods - there is extensive use of magic in skyrim and it would be hard to do anything in skyrim without seeing one of these things. On the other side of this you don't have to use magic yourself and don't have to become a vampire or a werewolf. You could also play the game as a good Mage or a person that fights evil creatures and makes the world better. There are many quest that involve magic or occult but many are avoidable. Overall this category is 8/10 this category only really matters to religious people though or people that want to avoid these type of things................ Violence - violence is unavoidable in almost every quest although most of the time you can chose to only do quest where you kill monsters and animals not humans. Also blood can be turned off in the settings or less violent methods can be used in the game such as ice spells instead of swords and "shouts" (Fus Ro Dah) (Yol) instead of bows. Overall Violence is 7/10 normally and 3or4/10 if you avoid killing humans and use less violent methods.................. Morals- this is where it gets difficult. Depending on the path you choose the morals could be a good influence or a bad. For example you could join the dawnguard and keep the world free from vampires and save people or you could become a vampire lord yourself and kill people yourself. Also there are some pretty gritty quests like the ring of nimira quest that has to do with cannabilism and the dark brotherhood quest line... Although I think that in both cases you can chose to appose and destroy these organizations/cults or join them. I know that I have done a play through as a good character and as a bad one making completely different decisions. I think that this really depends on the kid that is playing and how mature they are. Overall I would rate morals 5/10............... OVERALL - skyrim can be pretty gritty at some points but can often be avoided. Sex and drugs are extremely minimal. If you play the game like its meant to then its 6.5/10 for overall 'badness' but this can be tamed in many ways and be lowered to 4/10. This game really isn't that bad for any mature kid over 10. Also kids (or adults) with addictive personalities are probably best to stay away from this game or at least have their time monitored as it is one of the most addictive games I have ever played or that I know of. It has taken years from my life playing it over and over again. (I know I have at least 650 hrs+ on separate machines and have friends that are even worse than me)................. I hope this review helped you make an informed decision and sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors as I'm writing this pretty late at night. Ps. This game is meant to have a 5 star rating but my ipad is glitching and will only let me do 4 star for some reason. :)
Adult Written bygpsinfl January 15, 2013

a great game but not for little kids

skyrim is a fun but violent game there is little language and when it says sex it means in game you can get married. there is a lot of violence and some gore like if you stab or slash at someone your weapon will get blood on it. skyrim has a great storyline but is very time consuming and is kind of addictive but its still a very fun game.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypaintdadanta September 4, 2012

Awesome game but not for younger kids

Skyrim is the latest game in the Elder Scrolls series that is very impressive. Every action you make with in the game changes how other characters treat you and even your game play. I like that there is a base of morals for the game with some enforcement by the guards, but it is still not a game for young kids. There is a lot of language, some sex and drugs, but the violence is too much. In order to increase the damage your weapons can do you must upgrade to decapitations and other short cut scenes you can get for instant kills. The only thing we let our son do with the game is sit behind the training area and shoot a few arrows at targets. If you are willing to supervise or discuss the violence it may be okay depending on the maturity of the child. I really don't understand why other parents say there is no violence or sex in the game . . . unless they have hardly scratched the surface of it. I play the game on a regular basis. I'm getting close to level 50 and my husband is around level 40. I have completed all the main and sideline quests at this point. Sexual references are abundant especially among soldiers and in taverns from discussing the act to a woman's figure. Violence includes decapitation, cannibalism, maulings in detail. The drug use isn't as vast in Skyrim as it was in Oblivion but you can occasionally consume skooma which has a psychedelic effect. Alcohol is everywhere in the towns with characters challenging you to a drunken drinking contest. If your child starts the game you can guarantee that he or she will finish everything as I have and come across the same stuff. Whether they find it immediately or after a few weeks, it is there. This game is amazing but marked mature for a reason. Oblivion is a lot better suited for concerned parents with younger kids who are interested Skyrim.
Educator Written byTonawandaDarkKnights February 25, 2012

Difficult moral choices might make you want to pause it for young teens

Skyrim will be remembered as this generation's defining game. Everything is up to the player; becoming good or evil, helping or hindering civilians, working or stealing, it all up to you. There are so many choices in Skyrim its just rediculous. This is the only thing that would make me pause it for any young teens; There are a lot of moral and ethical questions in the game that might help older teens, but perhaps hurt young teens who still havnt learned enough about what effect their choices have on other people. Also, this game is VERY addictive, you might want to be careful and aware of how much time you or your child is spending in the game since it sucks you in and doesnt let you go too easy. This is an amazing game, just beware of how realistic it can be, especially to young teens.
Adult Written byhitokiri3 February 11, 2012

The official review is extremely biased.

I'm really shocked at the official review of Skyrim especially the sexual part. I have never encountered anything like what they are describing in the game. The game is vast and interesting but the violence and some of the content is mature. Some of the themes are a bit complex for younger children.