All parent member reviews for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Parent Written byThomas Everett March 16, 2013

Amazing RPG for teens 14+

This game is spectacular; and is very life like in many aspects. It allows players to do what they want, and for some odd reason that is generally considered "bad" (I don't feel the same way.) this allows players to be good, bad, neutral, or anywhere in between. For example if you steal a gem in one town and you get away, but in another town you’re caught stealing again, you have to serve jail time, pay retribution, and you’re looked upon unfavorably. To be smiled upon again you’ll need to do many good deeds. However, people will remember your acts and you may need to resolve them personally. Good people are generally liked and they are helped in times of need. Skyrim employs complex puzzles and traps, encouraging thought; it also contains social and political situations in which a player has to critically assess themselves and others to make the right choice. Yes, there is fighting, but it isn’t gory and the player is given the option to not fight at all, or dispatch their enemies bloodlessly. Drinking is uncommon, and I haven’t come across any sexual references in my 60+ hours of play. Sincerely: -- Thomas Everett. (Not the football player.)
Parent Written bymom631 February 14, 2013

good for 12 and up

This game has some decisions that your child can make that can be bad, but if you make them promise to make good decisions, the only thing that makes it a game for older kids is the blood/violence
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 December 29, 2012

Fus Ro Dah!!!

Dragonborn... fus ro dah!!! I just got this game for christmas and it is awesome! The graphics are awesome, the storyline epic, and the spells and level ups are spot on! The game begins when you are a prisoner, being taken to the block. You are about to be beheaded, when you hear a roar. To your surprise, a dragon appears! A guard frees you and helps you escape, and later on, you meet him again. He tells you that the Jarl of Whiterun should hear this news of a dragon in the lands of Skyrim. as the Quest ensues, you learn spells, embark on quests, and battle trolls, thieves, and other peoples of Skyrim. Violence: 10/10 People and other creatures are beheaded, stabbed, slashed, are burned, have necks snapped, and more. (And lots of blood and gore is involved.) Language: 4/10 Mild scatterings of profanities. (D***, H***, B******, and so on.) Sex: 3/10 Talk of the king's "whores". You can search dead bodies and take items, including clothing. (The most seen is undergarments.) Drugs: 5/10 Characters (including your own) can get drunken. Wine and stronger alcoholic are displayed in bottles. My character encountered a drug dealer selling a fantasy drug.
Adult Written byamylea December 9, 2012

Age

Teenagers 15/16+ are fine to play this.
Parent Written bymom515515 November 28, 2012

A change in mind

I would have never let my thirteen year-old play a M game until I decided to do some research on this game. My son wanted this game for christmas, in my mind it was a no but he asked me to atleast look into it so I did. After extensive research I found out that this game is not so bad...the violence is against thiefs and bandits, when I saw it had nudity it was a turn off until I looked into it...the nudity is when you "loot" clothes from a women she looks as if she is wearing a bikini. Over all this is an ok game for 13 year olds.
Educator Written byMr.Laugh out loud July 19, 2012

Best Roleplay game for teens

This game is really spectacular in its realisticness the world is very life like in many aspects. The game allows players to do what they want, for some reason that is generally considered "bad" (i don't) which allows players to be good, bad, neutral or anywhere in between. For example if you steal a gem in one town and you get way but in another town your caught stealing again you now have to serve jail time, pay retribution, and your looked upon unfavorably(plus you lose the loot and any other stolen property on hand). Then to be smiled upon again you have to do lots of good deeds but people will remember your acts and you may need to resolve them person by person.Good people are generally liked and they are almost always helped in times of need. The game employs complex puzzles and traps to disarm and also social and political situations in which a player has to question themselves and others if they can help a compromise or will they have to choose a side which is risky because as in real life politics people aren't who they say they are and the "good" guy might actually be worse than the "bad" guy. Yes there is fighting, and alcohol. Fighting is not that bad and very one sided either the player easily dispatches the enemy or they the player which makes the player rework strategy.Drinking is very far and between and you don't actually see anyone drink, you can pick up the bottle and click drink but there is no animation and really no point because if your drunk you really can't fight well. (ps for all those mums out there if you kid goes into the mountains remind them to wear a jacket because they can be hurt by the intense cold like in real life)
Parent Written byPizza slicer 222 May 2, 2012

Review

You can turn off all blood and I have beat the game there is absolutely no sexual content period.
Adult Written bytheeducatoroutlook March 26, 2012

Not for kids?!

i cant help but notice that commensence declares that kids cannot use this game.I to, was unsure at first, but after a little research discovered that skyrim was not rated "m" because of in game content, but because of many mods, like gore (increased) and topless women. mods, or modifications, are 3rd party game recodings to increase game options. oblivion was t, but after a month on the market was changed to m, due to mods. they obviously weren't even going to waste time changing all of the boxes, so they kicked off with m. while there are occasional sexual references, assuming anyone 13 and up has watched pg-13 movies, they've heard worse.voilence is an issue, but if your kids have watched, say, lord of the rings, they saw worse. slow motion decapitations are a little unnecesary, but if you refrain from adding the perk(it cant be undone) you can avoid those. drug content-please. anyone here have alittle one who watched adventures on tintin. remember the drunken captain-skyrim is on the same level. depending on what backround you come from, I beleive this game could easily be acceptable for a 13-14 year old.
Adult Written byHalo reach fan February 19, 2012

Skyrim!!!!!

violence=9/10 Drinking=7/10 educational=4/10 This game has a lot of executions and your character drinks and smokes a lot.
Adult Written byVaultBoy November 14, 2011

Older teens with love this bloody but relatively tame adventure.

Review: Skyrim is a vast, open RPG with a great plot, great graphics and an immersive story. Recommended for all gamers. Now for the trouble spots. As far as violence is concerned, fights are usually more fun and chaotic than graphic honestly. Aside from a rare beheading or impalement, there is little worse than what you'd find in a Lord of the Rings game. 3/5. Language is mild,, nothing a 14-15 year old wouldn't be saying. 2/5. Booze and Sex are implied, but it's hidden pretty deep. 1.5/5. In terms of educational value, Skyrim is one big socio-political commentary, The player finds themself in a civil war that wouldn't feel out of place in Afghanistan or Liberia. War is portrayed realistically. Neither the Empire nor the Rebels that fight them are archetypical 'good guys', but both have their reasons for fighting, both noble and nefarious. Overall, this bloody first person RPG isn't for young kids, but older teens who have a couple of history classes under their belts will likely appreciate the vast scope, and bitter irony of Skyrim's tale.
Adult Written byMrCheezyPotato July 17, 2016

Massive game that can be different every time you play: Age 12-13+

Simply put, This is an extremly well made game. The people who must set the ratings for games must always be cautious since there are some pretty overprotective parents and very squeamish games out there, so there could be alot of hate if the game was rated T and it had only one thing worthy of an M rating in it. Violence: The game is full of it, although it is not like Call Of Duty and other similar game where the only goal is to kill. There is much much more to the game than that. I recently made a new profile for the game with a challenge to kill as few "Humans" as possible. By that i mean humanoid since most characters are not human(im pretty sure the Humans are the Nords or the Imperials). My point is that you are not required to kill people. The only things i think you NEED to kill to advance are the occasional Dragon attacks on towns, but that is much different than killing people. Yes, there are bountys that you can find out about where you must search for a bandit outpost and kill the leader, but im not sure if you NEED to kill all the other guards around him too. Obviously it is very helpfull to do that since haveing 2 or more bandits attacking you with 7 foot long battle hammers can get your health donw pretty quick if you dont do anything about it. Violence(Continued): The game is much different than many other games where its possible for most everyone you meet to die and be gone from your game forever, although some characters are invincible since the are so important to the main story. It is possible to have an emotional attatchment to some characters, so seeing them die from a bandit or seeing their body after an intense battle with a dragon canbe sad. Of course, when i say "emotional attatchment" to a character i dont mean anything close to something in real life. Its about as emotiona as a game like thia can be, which technically isnt too much compred to many many other things. Violence(Continued again): Torture are gore....well...not much of that is in this. There are times where is has shown a person being beat and there is a small amount of gore compared to the average PG-13 movie. Ussualy the only time you will see ANYTHING gorey is if your searching for it like a weirdo, and there is also one quest that i have done so far that is the investigation of a serial killer in Windhelm where there is a body that has been slashed up and there is a lityle blood trail you must follow, but it isnt HD blood or anything. Its basically just some dark red patches scattered here ad there that lead somewhere. Then near the end of the quest where you find the killer's hideout, he does have a few journals that you can take an read. Im just warning everyone who hasnt done it it that the journals are kinda messed and im not actually sure how much some other people would be ok with it....the name of the mission is called "Blood On the Ice" in the city Windhelm in case you may be wondering. Its not actually THAT bad, but i know some people are alot more sensitive than others, especially with the amazing way the game just sucks you into it where you really feel like your part of the story Sex: There are very few parts where this has to do with anything. There are times where it implies about something like this, but i so far have not seen anything that outright talks about sex. There is more sexual content in a PG-13 movie. "Blood On The Ice" does actually have some references to this. It does not really say anything outright, but it give implications of it. The body that you must investigate is a young woman who is only in her undergarments, and in the story there was 2 other murders too, both of which were young women who were stripped to undergarments then slashed up. Then theres the occasional reference to "sleeping with" and some NPC do flirt, although so far i have seen there is actually no way to talk to the NPC about it. Yes, there is marriage, but i have not done anything with that yet and i probably never will since a wife that always follows me around will slow me down and ruin my tatics from when i sneak into dungeons and kill eveeything in it before they even know im there(I hope im not offending any women here, im only insulting the AI for the NPC and some gameplay mechanics) Tip: You should max out your Sneaking upgrades as well as your One-Handed since then you wll oneshot literally ANYONE that you want to kill if you can secretly sneak up behind them and do a sneak attack with a Dagger since it multiplies the damage 15 times.(Note: One-Handed skill mean the skill of useing a one-handed weapon. High One-Handed skill will mean you do alot of damage with weapons you can use one hand to use) Drugs: There is this one thing called Skooma, which is the drugs of the Elder Scrolls universe i guess. I am currently level 40 as of July 17 2016 and i have not even SEEN any of it. The only real time i even heard a NPC prisoner say something about it was when i got sent to jail by mistake in city thats in the far South-West corner of the map(I think it is called Markarth, exactly sure though) Ease to play: At first the controls are kinda weird since most games have the jump button as "A" where it is easy to reach and instead it is "Y"(I play xbox 360),but once i got used to it i realized that the botton setuo was actually much much better for what you do in the game. I pretty much only use jumping for when i ge stuck in a little glitched out hole or to glitch-climb up mountains and rocks to escape Trolls, Bears, Sabre Cats, Giants, Mammoths, and other tough enemies. And also to get a better angle to sneak attack someone with my bow. Moving around is the standard controls other games use for xbox, and i assume PC has the WASD format as well. Other: I suppose someone could make the argument that kids learn how to work with money and save it to get a bigger reward instead of blowing it on cheap crappy stuff, but in real life you dont go around shooting Lightning out of you hands like The Emperor then grabbing gold from the bodies of undead dungeon guards, or shouting so loudly that everything in front of you falls down so you can come in with a massive hammer to crush everyone. Note: Id like you people who didnt consider this before to maybe rethink some thoughts you had on "Adult" reveiws. Many of them look like 12 year olds wrote them. Pay attention to grammar and capitalizaion, because iv noticed in the years that have been doing many things online that most adults will ussually write in complete sentences while younger people will not even bother with periods or spelling and will use internet slang and will have run-on sentences cuz they dont care at all and all that stuff and they will give opinions wity you reasonings to back it up and really no punctuation at all which is really really really really really reLly really annoying also may write way too many duplicate words like "so" or "really" which is so so so so so annoying now i realie this is not always the case some kids may have great grammar and adults have crappy grammar bc they has come from another contry. Note: Im not actually 18+, but i felt my reveiw would be seen more by the people who actually determin weather their kid can play this or not since thy probabky dont look at the kids' reveiws much, which kinda sucks. Knowing how kids and/or teens think will really help you understand way about how to react to something relating to them.
Parent Written byFrostbite May 29, 2016

less bad stuff then GTA and Fallout and Farcry

there is a bit of swearing good for 10+ i got my son when he was 10 but very hard it about 120 hours not including DlCs downloadable content
Adult Written byorangeblood03 January 24, 2016
Adult Written byMark21 January 17, 2016

Probably my favorite game of all time

No guns just swords, hammers, battleaxes, magic spells, etc. The world is massive and there is no gore in this game. There is some blood spilled when you stab something in slow motion but it only really lasts a second and then vanishes. No sex, swearing, drugs, etc.
Parent of a 10 and 16 year old Written byDhdudgdh January 6, 2016

Great!!

Ok there is only moderate violence no drinking and no sexy stuff what do people think this is gta 4!!???
Adult Written bysethdelizz November 27, 2015

Overall one of the best games ever

This game is one of the most immersive experiences in video games to date. If you're wondering if it's worth it not for your kid, or if it's appropriate or not, hopefully I can help you. So let's start with a big one, sex, to be honest it's really minimal in the game. Maybe the occasional reference but your kid will most likely not understand it or will be mature enough to handle it, and in terms of cleavage showing or of anything inappropriate you can see, it's really nothing worse than what most young women wear at the beach. Now for the violence, I'm not gonna lie, this is a violent game. However the violence is not realistic nor is it designed to be, much of the violence is against fantastical creatures that aren't real, or its against people. If it's against people you can see some gruesome deaths but it's not very realistic, however you will see a few decapitations but there isn't an over doing of it. Now for the non sexual themes, one of the reasons I rated this game five stars is because it addresses themes ranging for morality to diplomacy to the difference between right and wrong in different situations. But younger kids probably won't be able to understand the significance of their choices and what the game is really trying to say. The games best educational feature is in its money management, which gives kids an understanding of buying and selling in a capitalist market. The game also has an elaborate leveling system that really makes you have to plan out where to spend perk points to get benefits to not only combat but also alchemy, smithing, lock picking, and many others. This game also increases a child's vocabulary, I know I had no idea that a mage was a wizard before I played this game, while these words will likely be unhelpful in an adult life, so are many of the vocabulary words you learn in high school. Overall I think this game isn't inappropriate for children but a young child likely won't be able to experience some of the best aspects of the game as those themes will go over their head, but 14 and up should have an easy understanding of the themes and should be able to use it to it's full advantage.
Adult Written byGamer375 November 16, 2015
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byThe true one November 11, 2015

Surprisingly Mild

I have twins that love this game! It's not actually very violent, and I have seen them play through the whole thing. To my surprise, they've actually learned a lot about Nordic mythology in a wonderful way. Their history teacher was impressed and they've had a great time. Over all, one of the best games ever.
Parent Written byBob Deckland October 12, 2015

This is a very good game

My 11 year old son absolutely loves this game, he's always asking me to play with him, It is a bit gory, but not to much, you can decapitate characters also. There is not much "Sexual" content, no nudity or sex scenes, but there are prostitutes, but you cannot hire them.
Parent Written byHahaclintondix123 June 27, 2015

Skyrim=Fun

This game is extremely gorey bloody and violent it has very intense violence. Profanity is very mild. Sex is not that bad some rape and some hookers you can not use the hookers. Sex in this game with mods is terrible you can have naked sex. You can get drunk and you can go to bars.