All parent member reviews for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Parent of a 18 year old Written byILOVEBUBLEZ August 19, 2013

its an ok!!

this game has very little blood,violence,sexual content this game is for a mature nine year old that has played the inFAMOUS games or the uncharted series ITS A BLAST OF FUN!!!!
Parent Written byXeeoos August 2, 2013

Keep an eye on your kids

Skyrim is a very well made game, having played it first before giving it to my kids. While there isn't too much extremely graphic violence at times your character can decapitate enemies in the game. One quest requiring you to do so with I alternative. If you plan to get the PC version keep an eye out for mods, as these can be extremely sexual or graphic, check before they download one. You can get alcohol in the game although it only boosts your stats, but a quest does get you drunk enough to faint.
Parent Written byTheOldMan July 31, 2013

Skyrim for parents

Great game, stunning graphics. Overall a great rpg that my kid loves.
Parent Written byMarcia_D July 21, 2013

Surprised in a good way.

I was worried about the 18 year guideline- I had nothing to worry about! I watched some gameplay when my kids were playing it, and was pleasantly surprised at both the graphics (amazing) and the situations the player is thrown into. Yes, there is violence, as in quite alot of games, but nothing too distressing or overly-gory, unless your child is very sensetive. The sexual content mentioned on the box is nothing more than that mentioned of a 12- film. Nothing seen, nothing explicit and only briefly mentioned if you can find it at all. Drink and drugs is a part of the game from many characters, just as in real life. Personally I don't see the problem in this- if your child is sensible and smart they will simply love this game and not know to copy everything they see; it's just like tv. Great game- best I've ever seen for sure, and also strangely addictive to watch
Parent Written bySteve D. July 3, 2013

A Great Game

Skyrim is an amazing game with hundreds of hours of content. However, I know many parents, such as myself, are hesitant about buying it because of the rating. After playing it, i can recommend it to anyone who's kids are responsible and mature. The combat isn't any worse than something in T games or any PG-13 movie. There are decapitations, but those are completely optional to unlock. Whenever you hit someone, blood will get on your weapon, and will come out of them. When you are hit, the screen gets smudges of blood on it. You can download a mod which removes all the blood from the game if blood is an issue. There are some bones on the ground in some places. Most of the enemies you fight are undead or other creatures, and when you do fight humans, they are generally bandits or other criminals. There is some drinking and drugs in the game, but you are not forced to drink them and they have negative effects on your character. The sexual content is very mild, and is all references that will go over most young teenagers heads. The only thing in the game that would not be found in a PG-13 movie , is the decapitations and blood, both of which can be removed. This is an amazing game that I highly recommend to anyone.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byi am a great rator June 22, 2013

The really facts about skyrim

SKYRIM is a awesome game.it is really fun to play with all the different environments and ways to fight. Awesome game. Now, I think the age level is right for around 12 or 13. The violence is the worst thing in the game. It has a lot of close up fights were the player can see the blood and the violence reference. Although you can see the blood and gore there is not a huge amount of it. There is no straight up sex like other reviews may say. The only thing that has to do with sex in the game is that some girls in the game show off a little bit of there boobs, but the amount of that is very small. The language is pretty bad, but nothing worse then you would here in a PG 13 movie. that is all I have to say about skyrim. it is awesome
Adult Written byBushMan6 June 10, 2013

Awesome RPG

There are a few people in the game that are pretty positive role models and have good messages. The dragons you talk to are not wholly evil, they actually show you great honor. There is some suggestive dialogue in the game, but you have to look for it. Don't believe the review that says you are forced to kill every body. Yes, every body you fight will beg, but a lot of the people are not good people at all. This game is all about choice just like every other RPG. You will have to make choices to either save someone or kill them. Yes, there is a quest where you can murder I guy by becoming a cannibal, but you don't have to do it. I could not kill the priest, so I killed the cannibals instead. There is a quest where you can either murder a person, or save them by killing the person who brought you to the shack. The thieves guild id not wholly about thievery, the main quest has little, but the side quests are full of it. You are the positive role model here(if you chose to be.) Again this game is ALL ABOUT CHOICE. If you wanted to you don't have to do any quests at all. The gore is a choice as well. The two decapitations you don't have to watch. You have the option to get a perk that can decapitate your foes, but you don't have to get it. The sexual content is a choice. the ONLY way(except of 1 or 2) to see women without clothing is to take it off them after they have been defeated. You can get married, but all you can do with your wife/husband is ask them to cooke a meal or ask what your store has for sale. This game is a great game to play, although it can be very addicting, so you may wan't to set some rules for your kids. I wouldn't say any younger than 14 unless you watch your child to see how he/she reacts to the game. Language is sometimes rare, but no "S" or "F" words at all.
Adult Written bylunag126 April 28, 2013

Lovely game.

This is a beautiful game that sucks you into a wonderfully build fantastical world. Blood and violence is shown, and you can assassinate people, and steal from people, but there are also strong characters that you will remember forever. This game has wonderful lore, and I've had hours of fun reading the in game books. This game lets you make decisions, and even though they are sometimes limited or it is a black and white issue, many of them are morally ambiguous and leave you to decide which is good and which is bad, and suffer the consequences. I've spent 600 hours in this game and done most everything in it, other than a few dlcs. Overall, I love this game and I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in fantasy realms.
Parent Written bysmit_k75 March 28, 2013

Praise for Skyrim

I’m a fan of the game and I completely understand why it won Spike’s Game of the Year award and IGN’s Xbox 360 and PC Game of the Year Awards (2011). It’s a game that I never say “no” to at home for two reasons: 1. I really enjoy listening to it playing in the background (gorgeous musical score), and 2. Whatever parts of the brain it requires to play, it puts my son in a good mental place (as opposed to other games that seem to light his frontal lobe ablaze!). VERDICT: RECOMMEND FOR SOME KIDS 12 YEARS PLUS republished from MOMmentaryonGames (my Wordpress blog)
Parent Written byThomas Everett March 16, 2013

Amazing RPG for teens 14+

This game is spectacular; and is very life like in many aspects. It allows players to do what they want, and for some odd reason that is generally considered "bad" (I don't feel the same way.) this allows players to be good, bad, neutral, or anywhere in between. For example if you steal a gem in one town and you get away, but in another town you’re caught stealing again, you have to serve jail time, pay retribution, and you’re looked upon unfavorably. To be smiled upon again you’ll need to do many good deeds. However, people will remember your acts and you may need to resolve them personally. Good people are generally liked and they are helped in times of need. Skyrim employs complex puzzles and traps, encouraging thought; it also contains social and political situations in which a player has to critically assess themselves and others to make the right choice. Yes, there is fighting, but it isn’t gory and the player is given the option to not fight at all, or dispatch their enemies bloodlessly. Drinking is uncommon, and I haven’t come across any sexual references in my 60+ hours of play. Sincerely: -- Thomas Everett. (Not the football player.)
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 December 29, 2012

Fus Ro Dah!!!

Dragonborn... fus ro dah!!! I just got this game for christmas and it is awesome! The graphics are awesome, the storyline epic, and the spells and level ups are spot on! The game begins when you are a prisoner, being taken to the block. You are about to be beheaded, when you hear a roar. To your surprise, a dragon appears! A guard frees you and helps you escape, and later on, you meet him again. He tells you that the Jarl of Whiterun should hear this news of a dragon in the lands of Skyrim. as the Quest ensues, you learn spells, embark on quests, and battle trolls, thieves, and other peoples of Skyrim. Violence: 10/10 People and other creatures are beheaded, stabbed, slashed, are burned, have necks snapped, and more. (And lots of blood and gore is involved.) Language: 4/10 Mild scatterings of profanities. (D***, H***, B******, and so on.) Sex: 3/10 Talk of the king's "whores". You can search dead bodies and take items, including clothing. (The most seen is undergarments.) Drugs: 5/10 Characters (including your own) can get drunken. Wine and stronger alcoholic are displayed in bottles. My character encountered a drug dealer selling a fantasy drug.
Adult Written byamylea December 9, 2012

Age

Teenagers 15/16+ are fine to play this.
Parent Written bythenoah September 12, 2012

LEARNING

Simply the Greatest Video Game of all Time!!!

This is a fantastic RPG that tops all others with brilliant scenery, its vast open world, and its realistic graphics. Sure, the fighting isn't great, but it isn't all a fighting game. There is a fair amount of blood, and half of the time, the dragonborn is an excellent, heroic role model if he joins the companions or the collage of winterhold, but if the dragonborn joins the dark brotherhood, he is (of course) not a hero, but the brotherhood has a great storyline and is highly recommended. If you join the Thieves Guild, you are kind of a bad guy, but you have honor. There is also drinking. Still, the greatest game ever and if your child is ten or under, they can take it.
Parent Written byADarWithTacos September 12, 2012

LEARNING

Educational, with mild violence.

Great for learning a slight fantasy version of the medieval times. With that, I close: FUS. ROH. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
Adult Written bysph September 3, 2012

Let how well you know your child guide your decision

Skyrim is a game that when you take a first glance at the M rating you think it is automatically not OK for your child and you assume it will be filled with sex, gore, violence, drinking, and bad language. But in reality it is nothing more than what today's ten year olds are already being subjected to. Through the course of the game it shows a small splatter of blood hit the floor and on your weapon when finishing off enemy. Small sexual gestures from some people who are very hard to find, brief provocative scenes of female warriors who dress in tight clothes, the ability to drink (with mild consequences.) And like most games of our age there is the occasional A** and D*** as well as H***. But mostly it is the CHOICES that give it the rating. Your character can choose to go helping people and be rewarded (thus sending a positive message.) OR your character could go kill the king and decapitate children (thus making the town hate you sending a very negative message.) So over all it is quite the appropriate game for a child who knows right from wrong and makes them feel good for the right they have done, but letting a child with no regard to killing innocents would not truly put the point I am trying to make in to clear sense. So know your child, ask yourself "What will they do?" And decide through the psychological development of your child through the facts and guiding I have given you.
Parent Written bycjperl July 26, 2012

Great game.

The cussing is mild and the sexual refrences few are far between. The references themselves are vague can be easily overlooked as harmless by a child. Fictional alchoholic drinks can be bought and consumed.The violence is by far the largest issue, with slow motion scenes depicting decapitations and enemies becoming impaled by swords and daggers. Most of the time, though, the violence is almost comical and does not disturb the player in any way. If your son or daughter has seen Lord of the Rings, then they will not even flinch at the mildly gory Skyrim.
Parent Written byMTMom July 16, 2012

LEARNING

Can be non-violent and offers moral lessons.

I do not like violent games, and Skyrim has the potential for a great deal of violence...but I approve of this game with parental supervision because it does teach some moral lessons. My son tried a few of the darker choices, but found that they had negative consequences. He is not allowed to be a vampire or, even worse, a werewolf. The violence of the latter is horrific. After trying the role of an assassin he decide on his own (though after frequent discussions) that it was better to be a noble rebel leader. Unlike slaughter games, there is a moral compass of sorts because your role in the society is affected by your decisions. He has learned some things. On another note, my daughter has also played the game. She has no interest in killing and so has done silly things like going all over Skyrim collecting all of the cheese, or garnering a collection of keys. It has the potential for non-violent play.
Parent Written byChristian Mom R July 14, 2012

**Please Read**

Well I play some games with my sun before I let him go off and play it alone. This is one of the first games he got that I kinda enjoyed. Other parents may sometimes do what I do and look at the back and say "No" but ESPB (whatever it's call) sometimes get strict. There is not much Sexual activity. There is a bit of cleavage not bad though. You can also get married in the game. Your wife doesn't really play a role though. All she does is follow you around and make you food and give you money now and then. Also the game is violent which is about the only reason it is "M". The alcoholism and beer can be compared to a different game like "Sims" they only is it in certain areas like bars and taverns, not people walking around selling beer to random kids. Lets get back to the violence. The worst thing I have seen is stabbing a dragon in the neck. Surprising the same amount of blood as assassinating someone in halo (Halo is a good game that has an extreme LACK of blood).In my opinion a 12 and above would be okay for the game. If you allow them to play games like Sims (Sims probably have more sexual content then this game) Gears Of War (A really bloody game) or DeadSpace your kid should be mature enough to handle the game. Thanks for reading.
Parent Written by 56 YEARS OLD MOVIES July 11, 2012

Cool

Its very good a lot of violence but not bad, their is a drug called skooma in the game its very addictive. there are mods that allow you to take peoples clothing and you can see full frontal and rear nudity but that is only a mod
Parent Written byChristianDaddy1234 June 15, 2012

Skyrim: Is it for you?

It is an EPIC Rpg! I am a Christian, and have played the game looking at everything in God's perspective. It has some flaws here and there. The violence is common and yes a bit of blood spews out of your opponents body when you hit them. There is alcohol and drugs in the game, but it is a minor flaw. Yes there is wine in the game, but it has more negative effects then positive. There is also a drug called Skooma, which boosts your stamina. The language in the game is very tame. It is there, but is isn't that bad. There are punishments if you murder people, or steal. If you are a good guy though, you spend your time helping people, and being rewarded. You can be an assassain or a theif, but that is optional. The worst thing in my oppinion is the decapitation, but you only see it 2 or 3 times in the game. Skyrim is a great game with an awesome story line, and endless possibilities!