All member reviews for The World Ends With You

Fascinating, dark but compelling action RPG game.

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Good game!

This game is very fun. I would not recommend it for under 10, though. It uses mind reading to solve stuff. It is good. Really, no kidding.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynaruffyyoh October 9, 2010

The best story ever

This game is simply a must play. I don't mean because of gameplay, but because of story. This game has the best story out of any game I've ever played (which is saying a lot). This game is pure proof that video games are fully capable of telling stories as well as books. Language however, is definitely an issue. There is a lot of swearing and rude dialogue in this game, but as much as I hate to say it, it really needs to be there because it helps make the characters seem real. It would be kind of odd if characters like "Beat" didn't swear. As long as you let your child know somehow that swearing is wrong, let them, actually make them play this. There are a lot of lessons that could be learned from the story of this game. Buying your child this game even though it has swearing is the equivalent of a teacher giving their young students a book with strong language.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCaleb_Mitchell May 26, 2009

Amazing game, IF you're patient & have 0 anger issues.

Okay, I have to say this is an amazing game. It's 100% original, very brilliant, very unique...it's just amazing! BUUUUUT, it has some issues. For starters, it is EXTREMELY difficult. As you can set your own difficulty level at any time in the game, & change it at your will, this shouldn't be a tremendous problem, but it is. Here's why: though you can set the game to easy-peasy, you really will get no benefits for doing this. Item collection is essential throughout this game, & your chances of getting items from defeated enemies drops as the difficulty level does. Therefore, to get the best items you really should play it on the harder difficulty levels, but this makes the game darn near impossible, especially on the bosses. It is also extremely long, & if you're a gamer like me, & you want to complete every aspect of a game, this will take FOREVER. As for appropriateness, this is a pretty iffy game. The language is pretty brash, tons of uses of A**, h*ll, d*mn, & a couple uses of b*tch & godd***. The suggestive themes are very noticeable, which is unusual for a hand-held game; almost every girl in the game has mass cleavage. As far as violence goes though, it's pretty standard fantasy violence (e.g. heavy violence, but no blood). Overall I'd probably say 13+ like the ESRB said.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPwngo April 9, 2008

Absolutely amazing game, though realistic language

While I did say it was appropriate for my age (16), I wouldn't go much younger than that. 13 is the lowest i would go (so I actually AGREE with the ESRB, for the first time in my life...) The language would be the biggest factor in not letting your kid get it. It goes up to a-hole and d, while not gratuitous, is very realistic. It combines with an amazing (while very hackneyed) story. The writing is very brilliant, these characters come to life when bad things happen to them. There is absolutely no other game like it, definitly five stars. I wouldn't let your 12 year old get it like commonsense reccomends, but not just because of language. They just wouldn't appreciate it enough. I would say 14 is the age you would start to completely appreciate this game.
Parent Written byWalt L January 13, 2015

One of the best RPG's EVAH!

Why do good games (and anime) like this only come from Japan? Are Americans that scared of dealing with serious issues? On to the game: This is hands-down one of the best stories I've seen in any game, on any platform. You have to play through the game twice to really understand it (you get more information through 'reports' you find when you start a new game+). Yes, there's language, but nothing a ten or twelve year old doesn't hear on the playground every day. The "message" is simple and powerful, but not all that obvious at first glance (or maybe I'm just getting slow in the uptake at my age). You define the limits of your world. The World Ends With You.
Teen, 16 years old Written byheroawesome June 25, 2013

Hipster barista life lessons

I'm seriously disappointed that "positive messages" isn't full bars. Basically, Hanekoma is awesome, and a large part of the game involves characters triumphing over their problems. It is a great game, particularly for teenagers, but so long as they possess sufficient reading ability, and can tolerate fairly mild cussing, younger children can play it. TWEWY is great, and the characters are awesome. Everyone should play TWEWY.
Kid, 12 years old April 20, 2012

Game with mild violence lot's of language.

This game has an often use of language including "Go to h*ll you son of a b*tch"
Teen, 13 years old Written bywolflink777 May 20, 2011

Must Have for all Gamers

The World Ends with you is a must have for any gamer. It's made by Square Enix, the same people who made Kingdom Hearts and is basically Kingdom Hearts for teens. It's an amazing game with lots of plot, character development, and choices. The only issue might be the occasional cuss word (but none too bad)
Teen, 15 years old Written byLady-Lithium November 22, 2010

I loved this game so much I could cry. I don't see anything that would keep anyone from playing, it's not a trashy game. Only a few swear words are thrown though. 11+
Teen, 14 years old Written byGiygas July 15, 2010

The World

The World Ends With You has some of the best music soundtracks for a video game that I've ever. I wouldn't recommend this to younger players though because of suggestive language throughout the game.
Adult Written byStarZero January 13, 2010

An EXELLENT game. Very good storyline, engaging characters and (for once, out of the games that claim it) a unique control system-you control two sepoate characters, one on each screen. It is fairly dark, at points, but if you think the kid can handle, there's no problem. In any case, it may be okay for young-ish kids, but you can see someone enjoying it as old as 20.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySakura-Fluff January 13, 2010

LOVE IT!!!!!

My faviorite game ever! Theres not much controversial material. the only thing I can think of is in another day when theres a "missunderstanding" with Joshua and Neku, but aside from that, it's the best ten bucks I ever spent.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFunHorror December 31, 2009

This is a must-buy for any gamers in your life looking for a good story and exciting gameplay.

This game is one of my absolute favorites. The combat and art style are stylish and absolutely gorgeous, the story is gripping, and the cast is full of complex, well-developed characters. I think that what shocked me the most about this game is that it takes the cliché of an amnesia-ridden JRPG hero and makes a genuinely interesting and sympathetic character out of it. The story also talks about various landmarks around Shibuya, and to my surprise, uses realistic slang. Regarding violence, it should be noted that the Noise aren't actually sentient - they're born from negative emotions and exist only to multiply and feed off of others, so it basically benefits everyone to wipe them out. However, you WILL be fighting Reapers, who are human, sentient, and not always evil. Also, while Neku himself is very cynical at the start of the story, the overall tone of the game is very uplifting - "The World Ends With You" isn't about the world ending; it means that the world is what you make of it, and you need to expand your world if you want to enjoy life.
Teen, 14 years old Written byReviewBoy November 7, 2009

Pschic abliities may turn parents aside...

Parents may not want their kids exposed to playing as a psychic. Neku sometimes can " hear them inside his brain" and some parents may take that as demonically...on the other hand, engaging gameplay and double combat takes this game to a new level. Although you may need six eyes to become really good at this.....
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreweth August 26, 2009

One of the best stories you'll find on the DS- with exceptional gameplay as well!

The title says it all- this game is the only piece of literature that I could ever predict, but the gameplay will be confusing to people who can't multi-task. All in all, this is one game that all teens should play. The story is as dark and deep as the pacific ocean, which may make younger kids scared.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMiwa-Sempai March 25, 2009

Put an emo kid and a freakishly hyper girl in a near death situation and you get this! One of the best RPGs ever!

The World Ends With You is a delightfully refreshing RPG! Square Enix actually made a winner with this. Take time off from your pure fantasy games and enter the world of Shibuya, Japan, which is an actual place! The dark plot is thrilling and actually keeps you guessing. And -gasp- the gameplay is actually fun! It reminds me a little of a mixture between fight style games and Dance Dance Revolution. While it has a dark story, the only reason it's rated T is for language, which appears frequently. It does contain d***, a**, and even b**** at points. But teenagers should be able to handle this. :3 Overall, I'd recommend this game to every teenager, especially those that love Japanese things.