All member reviews for Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Third entry in series demands strategy and force.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Parent of a 13 year old Written byDr WTH common sense April 9, 2013

Don't listen to common sense media, just read the adult reviews

I have never laughed as hard as I did when I read this review. "Not for kids" hahahahahahahaha. First of all, because most of the levels are set in dark places, if there is blood, you can't see it. Second, the ONE torture scene in this game is only heard, you can't see what's actually happening. And most importantly, YOU GET A HIGHER MISSION RATING IF YOU DON'T KILL ANYBODY!!!!!!!! In my opinion, this game is no worse than the original T/12 rated splinter cell. I also think that Sam Fisher is a positive role model. 10/10. Best and last of the old-school splinter cells.
Teen, 16 years old Written byunderonehalo April 9, 2008

a hard compelling game that (usually) gives u a choice kill, or don't kill.

Parent Written byyesssssssss February 25, 2012

Not Bad

This game is quite fun, there is shooting, but not much blood, it is not gory, let your kid play it
Teen, 16 years old Written byBig Daddys Drill February 17, 2010

love the game its a lot of fun will really test your gamer skills
Teen, 13 years old Written bynatedogg March 6, 2009

cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllll

this is the best game after killzone and when you say what violent things you can do on the game. boy will want it even more and wont care what it has in it
Teen, 17 years old Written bySam_Fisher April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byiMatrixPotato January 12, 2015

Great game for teens

This is a good, strategic combat game, it is quite violent but there are non-lethal options as the game rewards you for not killing your enemies. Your enemies give different responses, sometimes they use words like cr-- and b--ch So if you are planning to play on assault mode, turn off the sound
Adult Written byBadMario13company October 28, 2014

Chaos Theory Review from a Teen

This is a Amazing Game Truly Not Vilonet as today's The Game is pretry thamed As the first 2 games being teen this is the same expect you can now do a Knife Witch is kinda thare but you can use it Your Pick You can play it without killing or knocking out anyone Even ghost Ghost is how I play Fun levels Amazing Gameplay 9.2 Co-OP amazing This game is teen On the 3ds it's Rated Teen so....
Teen, 14 years old Written bygeneral_zod August 24, 2014

OK for teens

I'm 14 and I played this game for the first time when I was 13. Unlike the first two games in this series Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is rated M. I don't understand. There's some swearing but nothing I've never heard before and the gore is non existent. I hear people talking about how Sam Fisher doesn't care who he harms but this is a little off. They talk about the missions in which you elude the national guard, but here's the thing, you can't kill them. You will lose the mission. And of course Fisher only cares about the mission. He's shutting down terrorists and stopping World War 3. The guys a soldier tasked with stopping Armageddon for Pete's sake, he's just following orders. As for the violence you hear a torture scene (just electric zaps and screaming), you lose points for taking down enemies and you lose even more for killing them. The gun is more for taking out lights and the knife is for lethal take downs. Sure you have an assault rifle but there is no real blood in the game and the rifle is better as a non-lethal projectile launcher than a gun. This is the best game in the series, even if it does take time to adapt to the controls, pick up a copy but only if you're a teen.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymetalhead12 June 27, 2014

Not for Kids? I don't think so.

Allow me to explain why I believe the game received an M rating, rather than the T rating the previous two games in the series received. First off, there is an heard but not seen torture sequence. The victim is endlessly electrocuted, and screams everytime he's shocked, eventually to the point of death. While you don't see the scene, you do witness the victim's charred body hanging from the ceiling. Also, there is a new optional feature: the inverted neck snap. It's not really gory, but the sounds are very realistic. And, generally, there is just more opportunities to kill instead of using stealth, though stealth is encouraged. Now that I've got that out of the way, this is an amazing stealth game. Though not as good as the original two as a whole, it did improve in that stealth play is a little easier, in that guards won't immediately sound an alarm when you are spotted. It also takes a different approach then the first two, in that it allows you to pick a loadout for the mission. You can pick the default loadout, which is a mix of stealth gear and assault gear, the stealth loadout, my personal favorite and with straight stealth gear, or assault, which has assault gear. Also, in the first two games, if you tried to shoot your way through a mission, other than at scripted moments where you needed to, you would be killed before you got very far. In this one, you can shoot your way through a mission, and though your stealth rating will be low at the end, it can be a lot easier than waiting to strike and using the shadows. Now, the cons that I picked up. In the first game, but especially the second game, the mission locales were varied. In Splinter Cell, you went from the streets of Georgia to an oil rig at sea, to CIA headquarters. That's an example. Another is in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, missions were located everywhere, from a Paris cryogenics lab, to a moving train, to an underground Israeli hideout. In Chaos Theory, the missions started off interesting. The third mission was a bank robbery, in fact. But, as the game progressed, the missions were located in similar locations, with similar layouts, making the game very easy at some points. Also, in the first two, the loadout was varied with every mission. In this, you are forced to pick the same weapon class for every mission, making it a little mundane. Oh, and a side note. In the final level of the game, Sam can be captured and interrogated, leading up to another torture scene. But, despite the cons, this is a great stealth game. If you enjoyed the first two games, you won't be disappointed. However, the best one is probably the first one. My custom rating by age would be 15+, for Realistic-not intense- Violence Throughout, a Brief Torture Scene, and Brief Language (God-----).
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bytenaciousddude March 8, 2014

Its Fine

There is no blood to be seen, no language, and minimal violence. You can stab, choke, and shoot enemies, but its nothing worse than a rated t game.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDustiestHawk4 July 30, 2013

fun, intense, good game

this game was so much fun. the story was so intense with a twist at the end. The violence is really not a problem most of the time you just shoot the bad guys with guns. the picture on the front cover isn't really how it seems you never have an opportunity to do that but you take people hostige to ask them what door codes are or valuable info. Language isn't really a problem sometimes the mercs or bad guys will say the S word or something like that but no f bombs. One of the main bad guys is smoking a cigar at a bar and the main character is having a glass of an alcoholic drink. also you do have one moment where you can hang from a pipe and then a guard will walk by and you can drop down and snap his neck but you have an option no to. overall the best game ever.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBatman321 July 9, 2013

This game should be rated T cause I don't see why it's rated M

This game is ok for kids 10 and up
Teen, 14 years old Written byAgent663 November 2, 2012

LEARNING

Really not that mature.

This game isn't really all that mature. Very unfrequent language and not that bad violence should make this a teen game. There's not even that much blood! Sam Fisher is also a good role model, as he is humble and is always ready to help his country, no matter the cost. The only reason it's not really for kids under 11 is because it's a complicated game. But it's also one of the best games ever made!
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2012

A game that you might enjoy

This game is fun at first, but gets old after you have played it a while. There are some off screen torture, and you sometimes have the choice to kill people.
Kid, 12 years old June 16, 2011

For a mature 12 year old...

A good game for a mature 12 year old! There is a bit of language (s***, h***, b**** and p***) but is very infrequent! Unlike the previous two splinter cells, you may notice that you now have a knife! When you stab someone there is no blood or gore, but you can here the sound of it which sometimes makes you cringe! Overall this is a hard game which encoureges stealth instead of run and gun! GET THIS GAME!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDraven844 January 18, 2011

M rating? No reason here

I personally think this is one of the best entries in the series. I see no reason it has an M rating. The only time I could think of it having any reason for that is an off-screen torture sequence in the first mission. It encourages you to not even knock others out, solve puzzles and try to be a reasonable person in the process. Needs a teen rating
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrdcnnr36 December 13, 2010

Good for a player that understands shanking innocent people is wrong

The message that is received from this game depends completely on the player. One player may sneak by and avoid taking lives, while another player goes shanking everyone left and right. The plot is also easily ignorable, the missions are usually just go here, get that, get out. But the plot is interesting if you pay attention. Sam Fisher is an iffy role model, a nice guy with good intentions, but he shanks people without blinking.
Teen, 15 years old Written byanarchy December 11, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byath4997 June 19, 2010

It really depends...

Ok now this game is hard to rate but personally I LOVE IT!!! The reason being is because not everyone is going to kill everything they see, some kids will use stealth (it's easier) I'm not saying that no one is going to kill everything that's alive but most kids don't and if you are mindlessly killing ou're not stimulating the brain as you could be while sneaking around and finding hidden passages.