All member reviews for Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Enhanced version of mature, violent adventure game.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byJoth13 May 4, 2014

Not Bad

Compared to some of the ultra violent games of today, this one is surprisingly tame. There's not an excess amount of blood or ogre, and there is a tiny bit swearing. Feminism can also come into play, as we see the lone female character overcome violent and crazy men. It gives an all around good experience.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySimon Österberg April 16, 2014
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoeschmoey May 4, 2014

Good

Good game not violent smooth gameplay. Great for kids 10 and up
Teen, 17 years old Written bywillman72 March 3, 2014

what was the need for a reboot

the last generation game was a massive hit but i just winder why make the exact same game for new gen other than its a great game and the same as last gen with violence etc and this is educational as lare burns over her wounds eats to survive and has puzzle tombs
Teen, 13 years old Written byHolyTardisCordyceps March 15, 2014

Outstanding game for those who are mature enough.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRaider1024 April 30, 2015

Really?

I for one think that Common Sense Media can be a little over the top most of the time. I'd say that 99% of kids hear these swear words all of the time in school and at home. Most have already started to use them sometimes. Yes, there was violence but considering the fact that so many kids play war games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, this isn't that bad. There are some scenes that are gory, but most 14 year olds have seen worse. A mature teenager should be able to handle the game well.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySwimmer1 December 31, 2014

Awesome game

This game is awesome it has great graphics and and awesome totally bada** main character. This game has literally no se* only if you count 1 or 2 scenes in the whole game. If you are uncomfortable with hearing fu** or sh** than you might want to turn the volume down at those parts. This game is sorta Grusom and gory bit of you or your kids have seen any action movies than it should be fine. The killing in this game is violent but not super bad really. Take note this game is not like the other tomb raider games if you have played those. This game is very easy to play really on any computer play station or Xbox. There are some references to drugs smoking or alcohol. If your kids have never played a shoter or killing game before be warned there are some scary horror or startling scenes. Some scenes hav Grissom killings but not much, overall if you have a mature 13 or above they should be fine through this awesome gaming experience.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWalkedRelic089 August 24, 2016

Amazing, cinematic action-adventure Tomb Raider game.

The game is great. Everything about it is very well done, but it is quite violent with blood and howls of pain, although it has nothing on Call of Duty. The language is fairly frequent but is not that bad. Lara is a good role-model and will risk her life to help her crew. Controls are simple and there are different difficulty settings. Nothing else. Brilliant game. 11+.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byDarth Mal April 20, 2016

Does Not Portray A Strong Female Lead

I am a father, with a wife and two young children. Do not get me wrong, for what it is, this game is really good: Great story, graphics, gameplay, mechanics. But I believe it is for mature young players, as some of the adult concepts require discussion. Let me explain. I only gave it 4 stars because it does not portray a strong female lead like everyone thinks or sees in the Tomb Raider franchise. In this game, Lara Croft amounts to nothing more than a sex symbol, covered up by a faux-Indiana Jones toughness. Everyone has the idea that Lara Croft is supposed to be the quintessential female role model: independent, tough as nails, adventurous, respected as an equal. Instead, if you pay attention, somehow in the middle of her doing all this badass stuff, the game's developers still manage to portray her as the cliché damsel in distress. The opposite of what we all believe Lara Croft to be. For example: - Personality contradictory to her character: Every single time she slips, falls, gets grabbed, surprised, attacked, etc., her reaction is that of some cliché cheerleader-type having 1st-world problems (keep in mind, Lara Croft is supposed to be what I described above; seasoned and tough). - Objectification of women: The camera angles take every chance they can get to show off her over-perfect, unrealistic, female figure. The camera even goes so far as to catch inappropriate angles of her chest and behind. - Excessive violence towards women: Lara winds up in terribly violent situations. It seems like the developers went out of their way creating some of Lara's misogynistic and deviant captors. The player is shown intense cinematic scenes with Lara as the subject of something straight out of a woman's rape nightmares. All the while, the tough-as-nails tomb raider is responding to her situation like a frightened sorority girl from B-rated horror flick. Also present here? The wrong message for boys. This is how we treat women when they are bad, so they know who's boss, right? I am trying to raise my kids with equality in mind. My son can have his toys "for boys" and my daughter can have her toys "for girls", but they also know they can choose between the two, and that is perfectly natural, as well. My daughter plays Titanfall (a "boy" game), my son still collects plush dolls of his favorite anime characters. I would rather my kids be older before they are subjected to the mature concepts present in this Tomb Raider game.
Teen, 15 years old Written byYoBoi August 10, 2016

Please read

This game is over rated as m. Lara gets stranded on an island and is threatened by terrorists. She hates killing them, but she has no choice or they will torture her. it shows that it's horrible to kill a man, so next time your kid goes to play Call of Duty, they will realize that war isn't just all fun and games. There is mild blood and a little swearing (the s word) and overall great for kids 11+
Teen, 13 years old Written byJack berry July 6, 2016

These people are crazy

This game has a very compelling and exhillarating story line along with good displays of character growth and leadership. Though this is a phenominal game there is quite a bit of violence including setting people on fire, blowing them up, and gory shotgun action. On top of the weapon violence which normally wouldnt be bery bad shotguns bring quite a bit of gore especially when killing a large samurai thing and there are multiple seens where there are mangled and chopped up bodys in piles along with a blood river full of bodys that you have to swim through if you are not phased by the gore or occasional sh*t or da*m then this is a great game. (Now that i think about it it says the f word once when she is killing a major "bad guy".) This game can also teach you alot about WWII through journals and where the story is based. There is a character that smokes
Parent Written byJsykes71 July 2, 2016

Great For Adults

I remember playing the Tomb Raider series a decade ago and being completely enthralled with the puzzles, tombs, switches, action, and excitement the game offered. Now that I have a son, I was super excited to see it was available for PS4. I purchased the game and played through it before allowing him to have a go at it. Upon completing the game, I immediately took it out and placed it on 'Dad's shelf'. The graphics were awesome. The game play is a bit different than I remembered, but still a lot of fun. The foul language and violence however, caused it to be an 'adult only' game in our house. Completely inappropriate for children as it teaches them it's ok to use foul language in normal everyday situations. Maybe it's just us, but we don't use that type of language in our house, and I don't want my son learning it from a video game. What ever happened to just having fun? Anyway, I loved it, but my son has a few years to go before he's ready to be exposed to it.
Adult Written bySam Marrick March 8, 2016

Darker and Grislier Done Right!

Its great. The atmosphere, detailed environments, are a joy to explore and relic hunt in, the addictive and well paced progression, the eureka moments with puzzles, Uncharted like explosive setpieces with viscerality that is helped with the M rating and excelent gunplay make this must buy! The story is rather pedestrian,predictable, typical Indy fare (not on Last Crusades level but a little above Temple of Doom's) but Lara is likable throughout and the player vies for her evloution into a survivor and a warrior. That said the game is kind of a gore fest. Granted its not constant like say Gears or Prototype but still frequent even in exploring areas. Blood and bone spray with each hit in great quantities with vivid sounds and later on graphic executions (Lara also apparently has adopted Nathan Drakes sociopathy). Several scripted scenes show bloody stabings and shootings (Laras 1st kill is very graphic and Traumatic for her. Shattered skull and torn flesh visible as the the killed gurgles his last). A monsters feeding chample is adorned with graphicaly mutilated hanging nude bodies (only posteriors visible) and entrails makes up for the lack of furniture. A kill pit, initiation chamber is similarly adorned, and we see starved insane tortured souls suffer in thier cages raving madly. This is also after Lara swims her way thru a river of blood and corpses. Many rotting corpses seennin a shanty town and we see a fresh one thron into a pit into the players view after some disturbing slashing and gurgling noises. Yet another gore temple in the last chapter. There are also graphic player death animations like having head crushed by a falling rock, getting your throat slit or being impaled thru the neck on a tree branch. 44 F words (dialog and audio logs combined).
Teen, 17 years old Written byMharvey454 February 5, 2016

Astonished

I just got an Xbox One quite recently. This game is incredible. It is action-packed, with an amazing storyline, incredible graphics and detail, and loveable characters. My favorite character is, of course, Lara. She is fearless and brave, intelligent, and would do anything for her friends. Overall I highly recommend this game!