All member reviews for Tomb Raider

M-rated reboot of usually T-rated series is super violent.

Learning(i)

Parent Written byFatherofThreeSons March 14, 2013

LEARNING

Excellent game. Great story, great characters, great gameplay, horrible dialogue.

Tomb Raider is a great game. Great story, great character development, and great gameplay. The game is violent and the language is over-the-top. I read this review and mistakenly interpreted it to mean the use of the f-word and sh-word were minimal. That was a misinterpretation. It starts off rare enough but by the end of the game, you'll hear the f-word just about every time the enemies speak. It's ridiculous. It's a shame too. This was by far the best Tomb Raider game I've played. And Lara Croft wasn't overly sexualized, which was a nice change of pace. I really wish more game developers would provide language filters - the technology's there - why not give consumers a choice?
Parent Written byFeliciaJohnson March 8, 2013

Lara Croft - A Good Role Model

A voilent game with a little cursing and blood. Teaches kids a few things about survival, and presents the gamers with a positive role model. Lara Croft shows to be strong and the fact that the main character is a woman helped me be alright with my twelve year old son getting the game. If your son is looking for a game, I advise this one.
Parent Written bytoddler1963 March 9, 2013

Language and Graphic Violence Filter, Please!!!

As good as this game is, it is definitely not for kids. It has very engaging story but, the language from each character is foul and quite honestly a put off. Unless this franchise gives the option in the future to turn off the foul language, I will not be purchasing any more of their games. I would not recommend this game for anyone under 18. Whether you like it or not, if you are under 18 you are still a kid.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCJ69 March 8, 2013

Sick

Great game. Croft is boss. Good for kids 12-13. Lara Croft is on a desert island full of evil dudes who are part of a cult and she needs to find her way back home. There is little violence and blood and language.
Adult Written byIpzilla May 18, 2013

Use discretion

This game is the bomb. It's a thrilling yet innovative game that clearly gives the player a challenge as opposed to a "shoot everyone and kill" game. The graphics are very well done in gameplay though the cut scenes are not perfect. The sexuality of Lara is also not as emphasized in this game than in previous ones; and all in all, she mostly just appears more human. This game is a must get for adventure lovers. Ok, now for the bad. If some of you were surprised by the M rating on this when it first came out, you're not alone. However, it rightfully earns this rating due to High amounts of strong language and very graphic scenes of death, killing and bloodshed. Not to mention that this game is a lot darker than the previous lara croft games. I would say that even kids in their mid teens should not play this due to the influence that frequent curse words and graphic slaughter can have on a teen. I put this as 16+ tentatively because parents ultimately know what is best for their child and know when they are mature enough play this game. Either way, it's a great adventure game but with very depicted violent scenes and reoccurring uses of swear words.
Educator and Parent Written byJare321 March 8, 2013

Video Games Not All Bad

At a faculty discussion, we talked about violent video games' affect on kids. Teachers gave examples, and then we talked about games that are beneficial for kids. Thats when this game came up. We watched a short gameplay video about it, and the talked about it. It is a violent game, but not in the way normal games are. In normal games, you are a soldier or a terrorist. Whereas in Tomb Raider, you are a your explorer fighting for your life on an island. The inhabitants of the island are crazy and are part of a cult, which may scare a few viewers. But overall, an semi-appropriate game for kids twelve and up.
Parent Written byTheRightReviews May 4, 2013

This is good for...

Tomb raider is an amazing game. The reason a mature tween can handle it is because, Lara only does what she has to. She hates killing but in order to survive, she doesn't have a choice. It is a very realistic game and portrays war the way it is, brutal and horrible. This will show tweens what fighting is really like, and next time they play Black Ops 2 they'll know that war isn't all fun and games. The game itself is one of the best adventure games out there,I recommend that if you're a gamer you check it out as well. I hope this helps you decide,thanks for reading,and have a nice day.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJester™ April 9, 2013

Excellent Reboot contains Graphic Violence and Strong Language

The 2013 reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise is an excellent story-driven game. The combat is intense, portraying gritty realism in a lot of kills, e.g. blasting an enemy with a shotgun causes an explosion of blood to blossom from the point of impact whereas a shot from a pistol or arrow draws less, although still significant, blood. Language isn't an issue in the early game, but becomes more frequent and foul later on. Any review which claims there is little blood/violence or language is clearly coming from someone desensitized to such things, for Tomb Raider is certainly full of bloody (never gory [there is gore in the game, but not in combat sequences]) combat and foul language. The story is outstanding and portrays Lara as a strong yet human protagonist . Unlike many games where the protagonist gets grievously wounded and just shrugs it off, Lara has to mend her wounds on multiple occasions and in some chapters gameplay is affected (not in a bad way) by her suffering such wounds are causing, limiting her ability to climb or dodge. Tomb Raider is a fantastic reboot for the series, but the bloody violence and language could definitely be toned down. A must play for Tomb Raider and Uncharted fans, as well as anyone who enjoys an outstanding adventure game. (*NOTE* the Australian (OFLC) classification for Tomb Raider is MA15+ for Strong Violence) Jester's Rating 9.5/10
Parent Written byteparadox November 9, 2013

So far so good, just as long as the kids are not around.

Just started it. about 1/4 of the way through. Came across 1 f-word. Graphic violence showing up close kills, and a button timed fight sequence that shows you shooting a man in the head - and full detail of him dying. Slight sexual with Lara getting groped at times. Very real and graphic violence over all.
Parent Written byHonestreviews48 April 29, 2013

Good game for 9+

Not so bad, just if your character dies it shows a violent scene.
Kid, 10 years old April 4, 2013

good for 11 year olds

In this bloodier edition of "Tomb raider" Lora is trapped on a island and needs to find her friends. In just the first half-hour of gameplay you see.....A GUYS HEAD GET SMUSHED!!!! BY A ROCK!!! but that not it you see the game has terrible langue words like f*** and s*** are used often now lets focus on the good. Lora is a great roll model she fights the tuff times and gets off the island, her friends are to they work hard to find Lora and risk there lives for her.
Kid, 10 years old September 27, 2013

WOW TOMB RAIDER HAS ACTUALLY IMPRESSED!!!

TOMB RAIDER is better than earlier franchise, the reboot is way better than read dead redemption. EXCELLENT storyline, great action and very fun but easy puzzles. Although EXTREMELY VIOLENT and they mainly say S**t but good for mature kids
Kid, 10 years old July 7, 2013

Violent but still Great!

Tomb Raider is great but it is brutally violent ( at times ), some swearing, and Lara's skimpy outfit. If you are 9-13, mute your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. You'll LOVE it!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bySeusslol March 29, 2013

TR Reboot

Great game. Must get!!!!!
Parent Written byfieldsnyc March 13, 2013

Not for kids of any age.

This is an extremely violent and disturbing game, solidly for adults only.
Kid, 12 years old March 5, 2015

Great Story lots of violence

The story is an epic long one but there are many cutscenes ( that you can skip). There is that f--k or s--t every once in a while but at least there isn't a c--t or n----r anywhere. Lara Croft is a wannabe adventurer, when adventure found her when her ship split in half she was wrecked on an island and forced to survive. She never wanted to kill anyone but she had to, to stay alive. You also help friends on your adventure. The multiplayer can put you in a match where people on the mic could swear but you can mute them. Great game a little too many cutscenes.
Educator and Parent Written byPlimoutheducator123 January 2, 2014

Great game

Engaging and fun I let my 11 year old play this after months of moaning and then actually realised it portrays the world the way it is unfair and brutal all topics in this game are what my child talks about at school next time he looks at call of duty or battle field he will know that fighting isn't actually fun but brutal and emotionally hard Lara is a great positive role model and the game teaches children a bit about survival and how to stay safe just tone it down to your village or city and they will soon understand why it's better safe than sorry
Kid, 12 years old October 21, 2013

Really Amazing

Really amazing game, I recommend for mature tweens. I played this and I was fine with it. Some intense scenes though. Like one of the first things that happens is Lara falls and impales herself with a small spike. The slow motion of this is disturbing because you can tell whats going to happen. Also the death scenes are extremely gruesome. Not too much swearing but a fair bit. Lara is also a really good role model and has had a big effect on how I portray things. Like I don't worry about small cuts anymore, I just quickly get some antibacterial cream on it, then a bandaid. She also puts in a couple of good quotes here and there. Such as "A famous explorer once said: extrodinary is not in who we are, but what we do" Thanks!
Adult Written bycrcook84 June 10, 2013

A grittier, (emotionally) harder Lara Croft

I haven't actually played this game myself. However, after the "rape scene" controversy, I decided to watch some walkthroughs. This game is to the franchise what Casino Royal was to James Bond. Lara has been reinvented into a more realistic adventurer. You will deal with everything she would have to deal with if you were in the wilderness, including killing a man out of survival (and it's not a quick death). If that's not enough, there are the death scenes. I found some videos on YouTube (I advise you take my word for this) and they go beyond Game Over. Some are like "she's dead Jim" and you pick up at the last save. Others, because of how shocking and sudden they are...well, let's just say they remind me of the Zapruder film. I've played one of the Tomb Raider games (Angel of Darkness) just to see what it was like. I enjoyed it up to a point. I had to get through an area but I had to shoot some guards just to do it. I have no idea if they were innocence or if they were part of the bad guys (an article I read in a culture magazine described a game where the only way you could get through an area was to shoot a guard or a police office). Because of that, it bothered me. Anyone who likes a gritty game could find this enjoyable. However, if you're looking for a good female role model, I'd aim for some of the lighter Tomb Raider games or even another series entirely. How 'bout Nancy Drew?
Teen, 15 years old Written byJarHed June 2, 2013

Amazing

This game is one of my favourites ever. I strongly recommend getting this game!