All member reviews for WarCraft III/WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne

Violent games are better suited to older audience.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Adult Written byAyjay August 18, 2009

Commonsense Media? More like Ignorant Media

Edgy Humour? Sexual innuendo? Explicit words? Not for kids? This just proved that your review is full of biased statements that are unsupported by factual evidence. Warcraft is a real time strategy game that revolves around teamwork and co-operation. Commonsense Media's justification made this game sound like it was something in the Grand Theft Auto series... You also demonstrate to the audience (who are probably looking for a legitimate review since they are on this website) that you exaggerate over the most miniscule detail, blowing them out of proportion. You gave it a 4/5 for language, yet your justification stated "Hidden in the gameplay are a couple of explicit words". Am I the only one that finds that sentence Ironic? Blood, Guts, Murder? Overstatement. When something dies, it turns into a corpse outlined in red. No big deal. There is absolutley no sexual content that would make me question the rating. Again I find it ironic that Commonsense media chooses to criticise the sexual content of a game that has no intent of any sexual references.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWill Halloway January 24, 2010

Maybe not for very young children, but certainly not even close to that bad.

While there are some mature themes in this game, they certainly do not merit a "Not For Kids" rating. And to click on units enough times to get something edgier out of them would take a while, and children would never spend so much time doing that anyway, they'd be going to attack the enemy or be defending their own base. As for the exploding creatures, NOBODY CLICKS ON CREATURES REPEATEDLY UNLESS THEY KNOW THAT THEY WILL EXPLODE, so there is no chance at all of a child (or anybody) ever discovering this on accident. The blood and gore is shown from a bird's eye view and not noticable, and is only on screen for a second, and as the other reviewers have written, the game is educational, as it teaches strategy and the usage of the mind, and is easily suitable for small children. My brother began playing at age six, and I at age ten, and neither of us had any trouble whatsoever. And finally, while there are some bad role models here, they are portrayed in a negative fashion and are outwighed by the selfless and sacrificing heroes. The game attempts to convey a message in the main storyline about teamwork and forgiveness, and good triumphing over evil. I walked away with a code of honor and justice, and if anybody somehow manages to take a negative message out of this, do tell me how. Thank you.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... June 29, 2009

Common Sense Media, are you out of your mind? Did you actually play this game?

Kids could play this game! Their is no reason this should be only for 17+ and up? Have you guys actually PLAYED this game? You obviously haven't by what you have rated it to be. I have seriously never seen half the things you guys rant about in the game that you do here (their is a little blood, but I haven't seen so called "guts" or gore). Did some parents pay you to do this? Well, this game isn't too bad for what it is, still has a large player base, and nicely done RTS combat. You have to use strategies to overcome your enemies and destroy their bases. I personally liked starcraft better (now THAT game is a little more violent, but still appropiate for most teens over 14) because of its ease of use, but this game isn't half-bad either.
Adult Written byfree_bsd_baby April 9, 2008

Mature multiplayer game

Warcraft 3, is a very mature game, there is nothing I would want children seeing. As far as a multiplayer game goes, this does a good job. The graphics are wonderful, some of the best for third person games. The details and graphics are the best for a strategy battle type game on the market. However the main storyline is very negative, very disturbing, and very graphic. This game is designed for someone over seventeen, anyone younger than that should not play this game. The scariness and fear factor will cause almost anyone to lose sleep at night. The main problem is not the gore and scariness. Rather it is the way the storyline unfolds, and makes someone play something they may not want to play. Halfway through the game there is a drastic change in the story, and the only way to continue is to play a character that does very graphic things. This is a mature game.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzazmopepperz March 16, 2010

WTH!

Have to say this is the biggest pile of BS in reviewing history. I think its a bit much for a teen rated game but its fine for mid-teens. There is barely any strong language just a few damns and hells. This is a freakin' awesome game that I recommend
Kid, 11 years old November 15, 2009

WTF CSM

What? No educational value? This game teaches strategy. I watched my grandpa play this game when I was 7! Seriously CSM, You suck at reviewing.
Adult Written byyetijones March 1, 2009

Common Sense, Yet Again, You are Wrong

Seriously, CommonSense, a 17+ NOT FOR KIDS? For WarCraft III? Not only does this prove a point that you do not actually thoroughly investigate a game prior to reviewing it (albeit reading the back-cover and doing some qualitative "opinion-based reasearch"), you also demonstrate to the audience reading these "reviews" that you obsess over the most minute details, blowing them out of proportion in comparison with the other aspects the media has to offer. WarCraft III is a Real-Time-Strategy game (RTS) from Blizzard Entertainment that incorporates various elements into its vast game-play. The violence is cartoonish, the blood and gore animated and therefore completely unrealistic, the language mild, and absolutely minuscule sexual references and innuendos.
Adult Written byEjacdam August 18, 2009

What is all the fuss about?

To be honest, I really don't know what all the fuss is about. The graphics are too bad to notice any "blood or guts" and you see more sexual material, swearing and bad role models on T.V these days, that this game doesn't even come close to being inappropriate. I admit, the wizards, demons etc can be a bit sadistic. I have found that ratings for newer and more graphic games have been getting less and less moderated and I have found my son playing games rating 13+ that have really graphic blood splatters etc. Really what it comes down to is would you rather have you kids playing this than a newer more graphic game? I would.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMrcharlton June 30, 2011

Appropriate for all Ages (well, most ages)

The reviewer of this game does not know what he is talking about at all. I doubt he even played the game (he either judged it by the trailer or is confusing it with WOW. He didn't even post the cover) This game is fine for any strategy or sci-fi/fantassy loving person. This game has an immense learning curve. It is not all about killing people, but also about ecenomics, managing an army, and strategic battle planning. Sexual Content: This game has no sexual content whatsoever, not even a single mention of "hanky pankyish" activities. The closest thing to sexual content that it contains is certain female units in the game who sound like they are trying to harmlessly flirt with the player (the Succumus, elf archer, and sorceress units mostly). There are also several innocant rommances between some of the characters in the campaign (Arthas and Jaina in the human story; and an implied love triangle between Tyrande, Malfurion, and Illidan) Other than that, nothing of the sexual nature. language: Again, nothing to be concerned about if you have already exposed your children to PG movies (You would be too overprotective if you never let a ten year watch a PG movie by the time they were five). There are quite a few curses throughout the game, but nothing compared to StarCraft 2. They say things like "d***, b******, a**. and "what the h***" (This isn't even innapropriate language in my book, but I didn't type them out because I may have offended somebody). Back to the Future is only PG and has three times as many instances where people curse (the S word included). This game has about the same level of cursing as Shrek or Harry Potter. Violence: I do admit, this is a somewhat violent and fighting oriented computer game, but what do you expect from a game with the name of "WarCraft"? There is some blood in the game, but nothing compared to a game like Call of Duty (and I know that quite alot of 8 year olds play that game). Yes, warcraft has death, but there are no guts or disturbing forms of death that could scar a sensitive child. None of the characters who die are the primary protagonists anyway, and the players of this game probably won't give a darn at the characters who do, unless of course they have a gift for being super empethetic (which isn't a bad thing). There may be some scary images for real little kids such as zombies, gouls, ghosts, silly demons, giants, and skeletons, but the characters are animated and are about on the same level as the monsters from Scooby Doo: Where are you?. The "monsters" in this game are usually proven to be clumsy and inept at times, resulting in comic relief. Good Messages: The usual you would expect in this type of game. The classic "Good versus Evil" and Right versus Wrong....but with a slight twist. One character actually turnes to the Dark Side in order to save his kingdom, so, we can't label him all bad. Another character believs that if he transforms himself into a demon of immense power, he can destroy the Burning Legion. Some descent, but minor lessons on morality and ethics can be found at the end of this game. Role Models: I can't believe that some people think that this game has no positive role models. One of the best role models in the game is a character named Jaina Proudmoore (this game is actually from her perspective). She appears in each campaign and throughout it, her character developes from a naive student at an arcane academy into a strong willed leader. Seh demonstrates compasion, teamwork, and redemption, as well as open mindedness as she accepts the orcs (the humans were generally racist towards them in the game) for who they are and reconizes that they have gone through difficult times as well. Another role model is an orc named Thral. He and his kin may seem scary and terrifying, but the only reason he fought the human alliance in the previous wars was because he wanted to protect his people. The Orcs represent chaos, but definately not evil. His character and nature explain that there is a fine line between chaos and evil, as well as good and lawfullness. The night elves are also a race that value nature and spirituality, a trait that I believe everyone should posess within them in real life. In conclusion, Warcraft is a somewhat violent game that I think can be suitible for 10 year olds and up. This game was actually created before the E 10 plus rating even came out (they were just starting it in 2002, the same year it came out). I went to a camp called ID Tech where I learned how to mod video games, and teens and preteens were seperated into two groups, and both groups were allowed to play this game online with each other. Be sure to know your child before you let him play this game however, because he may be too sensetive to handle the descent amount of violence within this game. If your child ever saw Star Wars the Clone Wars, this game should be 100% OK for him to play. I don't understand why this game was given such a negitive review. The ironic part is is that StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty was given a review that deemed it appropriate for ages 12 and up, wheras it has way more violence, swearing, and sexual content. In conclusion, Warcraft is a great game with many awesome features including a map making tool, which would allow your kids time to practice making their own levels and units. Don't listen to the original review and make the same mistake the reviewer did. Don't Judge a boo-er....game, by its case. Give this game a try!
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2011

What the Warcraft?!?

HELLO!!!???!!! EARTH TO COMMON-SENSE-MEDIA!!!!!! WARCRAFT IS APPROPRIATE! Example: I went to a video game camp and there where 2 different age groups: Teen and Preteen. THEY LET 6 YEAR OLD'S PLAY IT!!!!! I PLAY IT!!!!!! IT IS APPROPRIATE FOR KIDS!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bytosha96 June 13, 2010

This does not deserve a "NOT FOR KIDS!!!" rating.

First of all, the only thing that might be bad for some younger kids in this game is the blood and gore, and even that is minimal. If one of the characters dies, there is some blood that comes out of them and some bones that stay on the screen for at the MOST five seconds. The only characters that appear mildly gross because of blood are the undead forces, who sometimes have visible gore. And the little for there is, is cartoony. I've included three image links below showing you what I am talking about. tinyurl.com/2ag8j94 tinyurl.com/369gx2x tinyurl.com/2ekuec8 As you can see, The blood and gore is minimal, and the worst thing you could see is some cartoony blood and gore. As for role models, the only reason I gave this game that warning is because there is one character, Arthas, who becomes crazed with power and obsession and turns into a over-zealous knight who eventually becomes evil. This is the only instance where I can think of a bad role model, the rest of the heros are just trying to protect their people from the evil undead. And as for sexuality, I mean, come on. You can probably find more in Hanna Montana. Also, remember that this game was not rated M: The ESRB knows what its doing in rating games. Now for the good stuff: I think that this game provides a educational value not only because of the strategy involved, but because of the robust game editor included with it. With this tool, players can take any aspect of the game and make their own maps and challenges, and even create their own heros and villains. The map editor can modify the game in every way, even to produce entirely different games. Also there are monthly map contests with different themes. For example, one month might be sports, in which players have to use the game engine to create a sports-themed map. There are also game-play tournaments. Aside from the map editor, the game itself is very in-depth, featuring 4 different races each with their own specialized units. Players can play multiplayer online or just within your home for fun battles with family and friends. This game will provide hours of fun.
Parent Written bymaanu123 July 3, 2011

good for kids

great, great game. good for kids. absurd to call it bloody. and demons are violent images? thier just red humans with horns!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bycowe192 July 27, 2010

Not worthy of a Not For Kids, but still not for younger kids

Warcraft 3 is a good game- a real time strategy game with some violent themes, really, more than actual violence. The only thing that really gives me concern is that the main protagonist decides to purge a cursed village, becomes evil(yet still remains the protagonist in some levels) and stabs his father, the king, through the neck, so he, as the prince, can claim the throne. This happens during a cutscene, and, although it's seen as a shadow on the wall, it's not that hard to identify what's going on. After the scene, a crown, covered in blood rolls on the floor of the castle. Aside from that, the game is hard for younger audiences to play, for there are hundreds of units that the player can control, and therefore the player needs to know how to use them. Following that, in Warcraft 3, the computer players don't have to scroll the screen and can click on many things at once, making it much harder for the player. In fact, in order to beat one computer in an extremely similar game, we needed 5 people to do it. The next problem is that the game takes place, no joke, BEFORE world of warcraft. The characters that appear in this game are all major characters in WoW. Players that want to see these might end up wanting to get world of warcraft. And lastly, in online play, the chat is uncensored(and you cant change that.) Now, as a game, I personally didn't love it, primarily because there were many many confusing aspects, so personally, I would get Starcraft over this game. Get Starcraft 2 for graphics, starcraft 1 for money($15!)
Teen, 13 years old Written bythegreatrman August 3, 2011

Did you play this game CS??!!

What I can say about this game is that it is NOTHING like Common Sense said it was in it's review, oh no. It is great child friendly minor t-game with poorly, unrecognizable, animated blood and gore, EXTREMELY miniscule sexual references, and PG rated movie language. I've found more language in Who Framed Roger Rabbit than this game. I'll tell you a little story. When I was 5, I first saw my brother playing this game. I thought it looked really cool! So I asked him if I could play it. He said he would teach me how to be good at it. While I was playing this game, it was changing me, it made me think really hard. This game made me better at math and problem solving strategies. So it is an A+ educational game with, should I mention, good role models? The best 2 role models are the characters Thrall and jaina. Jaina always held off on killing everything and did not attack unless attacked. Thrall just wanted to protect his people. He may seem scary and evil like the rest of the orcs, but he's not! None of the orcs are. My last complaint to Common Sense is, why did they make Starcraft II 13+ (which is a much more innapropriate game) and they make this one not for kids! That's major BS guys! So anyway this is not a bad game, children can play it, but don't expose it to squeamish or children younger than maybe 8 at the least.
Kid, 10 years old February 7, 2011

good game
Teen, 13 years old Written byTatester July 17, 2010

Not Worthy of a "Not for Kids"

Wow, I was shocked to see this game get a "Not for Kids." True, there can be a good amount of blood at some points, but most things (like the exploding critters) are so hidden away that most players will never see them. The same goes for the few suggestive lines of dialogue. The game does have some bad role models though, particularly one of the game's main characters, Arthas, who becomes blinded by vengeance and eventually goes insane. The Undead army has some units such as necromancers, cultists, and ghouls; and demons play a big role throughout the game's story. It is important to note that this is a strategy game, so it's not just mindless killing. Planning, resource management, and other tactical decisions are vital to victory.
Kid, 12 years old April 24, 2011

good for ages 11-any

good game it isnt that bad the hole game you build an empire and take over other people so its kinda violent but there is only 2 bad words in this game
Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2010

total overreaction
Teen, 13 years old Written bymelted831 August 20, 2009

good for teens

This game is fun but not for children. The violent is extreme and some bad language is used. The messages are not positive since it is about killing the other team. Also you can go online and have free chat which is not always the best if you stay away from bad language
Adult Written byReitrenner April 9, 2008

This is a great game. One of the best ever.

This is one of the best games ever created. It continues the epic saga of Warcraft, a battle between Greenskinned Orcs and Noble Humans. This is a Real-time Strategy game. It deals with troop management and resource management. There are four races and each has a single player story to tell. You do play an evil role in this game more than once. That is typical of the series. It tells ALL of the characters stories, not just the goody two shoes. The reason the CSM guy was ranting was obviously because of the later half of the Human campaign. You do some really damnable things as Arthas on his road to damnation. Such as killing a town of infected people before they can turn undead. It was a really detestable act, which is cool that it can illicit angry emotions from it's audience. That is the beauty of video games. They tell a drama that can be wholly experienced. Even the villains had to start somewhere, and Arthas starts off just like any other one. Like they say, the road to damnation is paved with good intentions. This game has a lot of educational merit. It teaches teamwork, and careful planning. It is very easy to pick up but really hard to master completely. Some of the best players in the world are constantly improving. Online gameplay can be pretty challenging, as the people who play it are very skilled and it can take a great deal of cooperation to defeat a really skilled team. It teaches teamwork ethics. There are a TON of loudmouthed kids on Blizzards Battle.net service. It would be wise to tell your kid not to listen to them and concentrate on owning them. I would let my teenager play this game. I would let a smart pre-teen play this game. But he would have to fully understand the concepts of reality and virtual reality. About the more villainous half of the campaign, it would be wise to discuss the merits of villainous behavior. Was there anything to be gained from Arthas' one track mind during the second half of his campaign against the undead? Is that kind of Zealotry toward any goal ever smart? Instead of damning the game for its violence and disturbing content, you should ask yourself what would drive a person to go to such lengths. Hands down, this game has a well written Story and a EXCELLENT gameplay. You would not be insulting anyone if you gave them this game as a gift. It will go down in Video game history as a true classic.