All parent member reviews for Wizard 101

Parent Written bykennetho November 15, 2015

Scam

They ban and scam you for money in many ways possible, Don't bother playing the game unless you're going to not Cuss at all, Never log in from another IP address (Can cause account to be banned), or they may just ban you for no reason what so ever or for other Outrageous reasons.
Parent Written bysaras5 October 27, 2015

It's a money scheme in every direction.

I am 31 and I have been playing Wizard101 since 2011. My sister plays, my niece, and my brother. I would never subject my children to this game and it's bad enough that I play it. While it is enjoyable there are many things about this game that continue to cross out the good. Here are just a few of the many... 1.) Yes, you have to pay to play. 10 bucks a month, which isn't bad, but it can be when you see that not only do you have to "pay to play" you also have to "pay to survive", meaning, if you don't spend a bunch of money in the crown shop buying gear that is actually decent, you will die. Always. Not in the weaker worlds like Wizard City, Krok, etc, but once you get to about Mooshu, you'll start to feel the strain of having low quality gear when you constantly end up in the common area of the world you're in from being killed repeatedly. The gear in the bizarre is horrible and you'll either run into two problems, 1) they wont have your level gear or 2) it will only have one stat (like only health, or attack, or defense), you won't get equal distribution of these stats unless you buy packs from the crown shop (assuming you even get lucky to get decent gear, wizard has rigged it intentionally to only give you lame pets, plants, and weak pet snacks and furniture). I speak from personal experience here, I have spent 2k on this game and that's inexcusable but that's what you have to do to be a good enough wizard to actually win a fight unless you piggyback off of other peoples fights which is what most people do. They throw you into Celestia with no critical or block and the bosses critical almost every attack. Hows that for cheating? 2.) So many bullies on there. A bunch of 12 year old kids behind on their school work standing in the commons calling everyone "noobs". It sets a bad example for what wizard101 advertises to be a "friendly game". They never do anything about it either, instead they punish people for irrelevant things. I have seen many people quit playing just because of this nonsense right here. Jumping into peoples fights when they're near death and laugh about it when they die, thus losing their progress and they get to take what you earned. They even stand a little ways away and watch you fight until they know you're going to kill to which they jump in last second to claim rewards. It's something wizard needs to crack down on as well if they expect people to buy their products and their services. Ridiculous. 3.) You have no where to complain. They ban without reason and fail to respond to peoples inquiries. That's not appropriate for a business that takes peoples money in exchange for a service. Even if it is a stupid game. You are supposed to conduct business professionally and if you can't then shut it down or sell it to someone who will. You are NOT allowed to ignore peoples emails and you're NOT allowed to blow them off once you've taken their money. A simple report to the BBB would put them under investigation yet no one has thought to do so? I have never been banned and that's because I don't add friends. I play alone for this very reason. If you've been illegally charged for services you were refused, you can file a complaint with the BBB and if enough people do it, they will either stop this pettiness or lose their business. They aren't world known, they're a little mom and pop shop set up in Texas, that in itself is enough to be skeptical of their true intentions of only making money, not giving kids something fun and safe to do. Don't allow your kids to play this game under every circumstance. Unless you don't mind them being bullied not just by players, but by the developers as well. You have been warned.
Parent Written byooopsitsme October 1, 2015

Walk away before they steal your money

Crown grabbing by Kingsisle I have been playing on and off for years. During that time i have had every sort of insult thrown me right down to which family members i should have sex with and the list is endless about intellectual impairment, down syndrome, autism you name it, it gets thrown at you. The amount of sexually explicit type insults is astonishing considering their filters but they always find a work around. I put up with all this only to get suspended for making the statement " Deez Nutz " which are a music Band btw here in australia as well as some person's alias there in the States. I was in an awkward situation when i said it and thought it better than returning hostility in kind. There was a boy who had another boy in a corner giving him a hard time saying he had paid in crowns and now he wanted some action! Yes thats right. I told him no means no and i don't care who they are. Then another person i didn't know kept standing right on me and made jokes about us being married. Again i was light hearted about it and said i want a divorce. In both of these occassions i said the term Deez nutz. Again i gotta say it , to kill all my plants will cost me hundreds i believe :( Obviously Kingsisle do not agree and the hypocrites got on their moral high ground and actually defended their actions even after sending them video clips of other people saying exactly that expression and urging them to read the chat logs. I am disgusted by Kingsisle! I don't even want to do the math of what it will actually cost me in dollars to finally get into the game after nearly a week to find my 5 gardens full of crown plants dead. I want to sue them and i am looking into it
Adult Written bySparkleFountain August 6, 2015

Wizard101

I think the game itself is challenging, but also easy. Levels 1-50 (Wizard City through Dragonspyre), it gives a good storyline than levels 50-100 (Celestia through Khyrsalis). Also, in the higher levels, the game relies on luck (mostly PvP, but happens in PvE as well). Also, if you're a high level, you'll have to farm HOURS AND HOURS just to get the good gear as well as the pet. When I say hours, I mean HOURS. DAYS. WEEKS. POSSIBLY MONTHS. I will admit that people under 18 find ways to get 18+ Open Chat, I've done that. Parents need to watch their children to not find ways to get open chat. There's a lot of people who swear with open chat. Also, in PvP, it's very difficult in the middle level and low level range while the high level range is about luck. A lot of people consider the game "broken." More and more people quit as time goes by. Also, sometimes the support team is horrible, sometimes it's good. If you hear from people, they say they don't like the support team. All I can say KI is greedy or/and lazy. I recommend this game if you're planning to stay around the lower levels or mid levels, but not the higher levels.
Adult Written byTatem July 13, 2015

Not The Best

This game is a game that isn't fun to me. It has tons of safety concerns and costs money. There's lots of violence and people can say whatever they want.
Parent Written byAnnelise0406 April 7, 2015

Great game with lots to do. Company stands behind game.

I have played this game for almost 5 years. My in-laws introduced me to the game. We regularly played together: a large group of us, ranging in age from early 70's, to 8 years old. It was really fun to play together, even when we didn't live close together. We'd voice chat while we played, because the chat filter made it difficult to in-game talk with some of our younger players. This game has some of the best chat filters (to the point of almost being irritating and limiting any interaction a person/child could have with others while playing with filters). That being said, kids/teens will always find away to "get around" the filter and say rude things. The game content is very expansive, but the vast majority of it requires access via either a subscription or by purchasing areas using virtual currency (which of course, you buy with real currency). It won't be long before a character cannot progress without paying. It's very, very difficult to level up very far without paying. If you can't level up, you can't learn new spells and the game gets very boring very quickly. I always opted for the subscription. If you buy it during a sale, which happen fairly often, it will run you $60/year. Once you buy it at the discounted price, it will auto-renew at that price (more on auto-renew later). If my family has showed me anything, there are plenty of things to do in the game, every player will probably find a niche that suits them. Aside from the obvious - create a wizard and level them up, there's still a lot more. There is a beautiful housing system with many choices for decorating. You can also have a garden in your house, with plants that will give you items or gold to help you out. The pet system was one of my favorites. It's quite detailed, and the pets actually have a genealogy and inheritance aspect to them. The battles and card selection can actually be quite interesting. There is quite a bit of strategy involved. I found some of the players we had in our group (both young and old!) didn't have the patience to learn how the cards worked. I was able to teach a pre-teen about multipliers using the game, and it was really enjoyable to see how it clicked for him. It is possible to play the game and never actually understand how the "spells" (attacks) work and how the "blades" or "traps" (strengthening multipliers) affect those spells, but as you progress farther, it is very helpful to know. I was actually surprised by some of the nasty reviews about the company and their policies. I have only compliments to say about the customer service. Very soon after we all started playing together, a family member bought "crowns" (the game's premium currency), and the very next day they ran a sale on crowns and felt a bit cheated. She contacted the company, just seeing if they'd do anything, and they were more than happy to give her the bonuses she would have gotten if she'd purchased during the sale. The company didn't have to do this, but we all were very impressed by the customer service. A few years later, I had completely forgotten that my membership's auto-renew billing date was coming up. It was a busy time (new baby) and I really didn't have any time to play, and we were extremely tight on money (again - new baby!). I would have cancelled if I had realized, but I only noticed after the charge hit my account and overdrew me. It was my fault - I knew I signed up for auto-renewal, and I let my account balance drop quite low. However, I wrote a polite email to KingsIsle, explaining my situation and politely asked if they'd cancel my subscription and refund me my money. They had NO obligation to honor my request and yet they did, very graciously. I have since re-subscribed, and am still enjoying the game. I really love this game, but I strongly believe it is at it's best when you have at least a couple of people to play it with. Younger kids will probably need adult guidance as they level up and the bosses become stronger and the strategy can get more complicated. There are many learning opportunities in the game, but an adult who isn't invested in the game might not see past the surface of a cute little pet or a card that triggers a magic spell. If a child you love likes this game - take some time and really play with them. Make your own character. It's worth it.
Adult Written bySilentHunter February 27, 2015

Don't Play Out Dated

I am not really writing about how it is kid friendly and all that but some people said it was a good quality game. The graphics are absolutely terrible even for an MMO of its age. The fighting mechanic is ok but the way you start battles is bad so you end up in battles you didn't want to be in. While it is free to play I wouldn't recommend playing it. There are loads of better alternatives that are way better that aren't as kid friendly but if you play any MMO there are going to people that curse at you every so often. Don't let that turn you away for MMOs thou you can make some good friends in them as well.
Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byIndigoDreamer November 29, 2014

Great Game for Kids

I never have to worry that my kids are being exposed to anything inappropriate when left to play this game alone. They have great safety precautions in place, such as bad language filters, parental control over in-world chat and goods and game money cannot be freely given to other users which limits scamming. The game itself is great, it encourages friendship and teamwork and is a lot of fun to play for both children and adults. The only thing I dislike about the game is the cost involved to advance. Not only do you have to pay to unlock other worlds but you also have to pay to unlock spaces within those worlds in order to progress. Which really adds up to quite a lot over time. If it were a little less costly I would have given it 5 stars but the creators are being far too greedy if you ask me.
Parent Written bypapag1250 November 26, 2014

This is designed to suck money out of your account

If you want to have your child spend money to see poorly animated cut scenes faster, this is the game for you. However, if you actually have standards, I suggest buying them a subscription to something else. You are better off paying for a console game if you want them to be entertained and want to cap the cost. If you give them your credit card you are asking for trouble.
Parent Written bySamanthaDragonthorn June 30, 2014

BEWARE OF PREDATORS AND REPORTING

I AM AN ADULT WITH A 11 YEAR OLD, WE HAVE BEEN ON WIZARD 101 FOR YEARS, MAYBE 6 I THINK. WHEN YOU GET TO CERTAIN LEVELS, YOU MUST HAVE HELP. I RAN INTO SOME PREDATORS ON THERE, A RING OF THEM, REPORTED WHAT THEY WERE DOING TO WIZARD 101 AND I GOT IN TROUBLE!! MY ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ABLE TO "REPORT" NOR CAN I SPEAK TO ANYONE WITHOUT MENU CHAT. I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS AND I HAVE SPENT TONS OF MONEY ON THERE, BOUGHT ABOUT 6-10 HOUSES, PETS AND MUCH MORE! AND I HAVE A TON OF FRIENDS THERE!THE REASON I WAS GIVEN THAT THEY DID THIS IS BECAUSE I GAVE OUT MY REAL NAME AND THIS WAS NOT CORRECT, A LIE IN FACT. THEY WERE SO RUDE AFTER ALL I WAS TRYING TO DO IS HELP THESE CHILDREN NOT BECOME ONE OF THERE VICTIMS! THEY WERE GETTING CROWNS, HOUSES, USING PEOPLE OF ALL AGES!! AND THEY VIEWED ONE OF MY CONVERSATIONS, AND SAW A NAME I GAVE AND IT WAS NOT MY ACTUAL NAME BUT I WAS STILL PUNISHED. AND IT DID NOT MATTER AT ALL WHAT A GREAT PLAYER AND CUSTOMER I HAD BEEN ALL THESE YEARS. I HAVE 6 CHARACTERS ON THERE, ONE AT LEVEL 70 + , ANOTHER LEVEL 100 (CAP) , OTHERS ARE IN THE 50'S AND MY DAUGHTER HAS ONE IN THE 20'S. THIS IS A VERY SAD AND TRUE OUTCOME. MY LITTLE ONE LOVES WIZARD 101 AND IS AS DISAPPOINTED HOW THEY REACTED AS I AM. I HAVE THE ENTIRE CONVERSATION ON MY EMAIL BETWEEN WIZARD 101 AND MY SELF FOR ANYONE THINKING ABOUT BECOMING A MEMBER THERE. BY THE WAY, ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION, MAKE SURE YOU BE CAREFUL, THEY USE IT MONTHLY WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION TO RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP. THANK YOU, LISA AND CAITLYN
Parent Written byOpenSesame September 11, 2013

Engaging game with positive messages

Children and adults alike will be entertained by the cast of characters, the challenges presented in the story, and the "non-essential" elements (hatching and training pets, crafting, gardening, etc.) of Wizard101. Although there is some content available to players with a free account, the greatest enjoyment is to be derived by playing more of the game. There are several way to gain access to premium content: two of these involve having a credit card on file, and two involve purchasing game cards from stores which stock them (list available on the game's site). Yearly memberships may be purchased by credit card; so may monthly ones. Or players may choose to NOT have a credit card on file, and instead buy cards to add to their accounts to either purchase membership for a specified amount of time, or to add "crowns" to their accounts so they can purchase unlimited access to specific zones. I have thirteen different wizards on three accounts, in which I employ three different methods of maintaining membership: one is a yearly subscription; the second is a month-by-month, which I maintain by purchasing cards (a $10 card affords one month unlimited access; a $20 card gives two months); and my final membership is a "pay by zone" - I load money ("crowns") into that account via either credit card or game card, and pay a specific amount every time my wizard is ready to venture into another area of the game. Each method has its own strengths and weaknesses: the annual membership is a better value for players who play often; with either of the "monthly" options being next. The "pay-by-zone", though, isn't a bad choice - it encourages players to completely wrap up one zone before going on to the next; and if the player isn't online that often, this might be the best option, since it opens the zone for all players on the account, in perpetuity. Many of the complaints in this forum about Kingsisle's credit card policies were written several years ago; I presume that changes have been made, since they have had my credit card info for 2 1/2 years now, and nothing untoward has happened. There is a master password on my account - which only I know - that has to be entered before I can purchase anything with Paypal or by credit card. This is a reasonable safeguard against anyone using my card without permission (though let me be clear: if I had a child or grandchild who used my credit card to purchase ANYTHING without my permission, the first conversation I'd have would be with the child, NOT the merchant). Do keep in mind, however, that such memberships renew automatically; if you don't plan to keep your membership, cancel before your anniversary date, or you WILL be charged - no refunds. Your children will probably love this game - it's most appropriate for teens or older, but even younger kids can enjoy it. The best strategy would be to take the game for a test drive, yourself, before letting your kids loose in it [be warned, however: the game is addictive. More than one parent has wound up playing the game long after the children have lost interest!]. There are many good things about Wizard101: aside from affording canned responses ("menu chat") and filtered chat to protect younger players, it also fosters teamwork, offers opportunities for creative problem-solving, and reinforces the message that hard work yields rewards. It's an MMORPG, so players are apt to encounter people from all over the globe (fact: courtesy of this game, I have friends in all corners of the U.S., in the Caribbean, the UK, and Australia!). The primary disadvantage to the game is the temptation to overspend: the lure of premium houses, gear, pets, and conveyances is hard to resist - and they don't come cheaply. It would be quite easy to spend $100 per month on virtual bling, if one weren't careful. And occasionally, the game can be quite buggy - although on such occasions, I fire off an e-mail to KI, and usually the problem is corrected promptly. The final disadvantage to the game is that (as in real life) a very small percentage of players don't act appropriately: that is to say, they cheat or exploit game glitches; they bully, or say or do bad things; nag other players to be their "girl" or "guy"; or beg for "gifts" . Players who feel they've been exposed to inappropriate behavior can report another player, to complain. Depending upon the type and the degree of the infraction, KI will either send a warning, restrict the player to "menu chat" for a specified amount of time, or ban the player from the game. Keep in mind that KI has access to all conversation logs from the game, and can verify/refute claims; they also take action against complainants who make frivolous or untrue accusations. Overall, Wizard101 is a fun, safe game for kids (no matter how old they might be).
Parent of a 11 year old Written bywhitt105 November 21, 2012

The best game ever!!!

Fun game for whole family to play together!!! You learn strategies, how to save gold for clothing, housing, pets, etc, team work, how to share, you also go to other worlds similar to ours (for example one is like Egypt, another is like England).
Parent Written byecharboneau November 8, 2012

Game is great, if parents pay close attention to anything involving real money!

The problem I have with these reviews is that I know, from my own experiences in suburbs and rural towns, many parents use video games as babysitters. If the parents play the game too, if just an hour a week, many of these stubborn stain problems can be avoided. Also, while I disagree with almost all the negative reviews, I want to super emphasis that the many credit card problems can be prevented by not buying crowns or setting up accounts while dealing with kids in the room, teenagers, or other non-money related distractions. Indeed, credit card usage is complicated, 101 has adult expectations here, and the adult needs to be really paying attention to the words on the screen and the buttons they press. But, it can be done, stress free, if it's given the same time and attention as making your better half an omelet!
Parent Written bymackspeaks July 27, 2012

Beware wizard 101

There has been a huge increase in foul language and cursing around the filters as well as explicit sexual talk going on in the common areas. A group has been formed to try and report this but despite many attempts to get kings Isle to help with this problem they are not interested in keeping the spiral a safe place for kids
Parent Written byDarthJT July 26, 2012

Great Game, just be prepared for some very foul language and bad behaviors from other wizards in the Spiral as there is no IN GAME MOD!

This is an epic game. I could almost endorse it being a true kid and family game, almost. The one problem is that they do not have in game Mods to keep chat clean. The language and Behaviors in public areas is not acceptable for young children. Yes, you can give kids menu chat, which makes the game even more difficult, but why punish kids that are being good and behaving properly. No, I don't think that is right, those that are abusing the Terms of Use should be sent to Menu chat and IN game Mods are needed. That is the only draw back to this game.
Parent Written byIridian Shadowweaver July 26, 2012

A Wizard Mom's PoV

My only concern about Wizard101 after 3 years of family play is that there is an increasing problem with free to play wizards' behavior and language in public areas such as the Commons, Olde Town, and the WC Dye Shop on Wu realm. I do not let my children play unattended for any length of time, and I do not let them go to Wu realm for any reason.
Parent Written byDrgn July 26, 2012

Graphics safe for families, player interaction is not

The graphics and storyline are safe for your kids without a doubt. BUT if you ever go into the common areas of some realms, all are available to the free players, and you have text or open chat available, be prepared for mature language and sexual text from other players, along with bullying. Players have the option of ignoring and reporting, but it does no good when they just make more free accounts to continue it. So play at your own risk and do not let your children have anything but the closed menu chat and to stay away from the shopping areas and the area known as The Commons.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byjoylikerain June 4, 2012

Great family game

Great game to play together
Adult Written bySen Jalucard April 20, 2012

More dissappointment then pleasure.

My opinion about the game, well its great for families and its easy for people of any age to play i will give it that much. However i cant help but feel kids are the tools to get into parents wallets. The gameplay is just terrible. If your a true rpg player and take your gameplay serious dont bother with this game. I have been playing the game for 3 years and nothing about this game is sensible. You dont feel in control to shaping your character or your pets the way you want to. The crafting is beyond insane and on top of it all the reagents for the crafting are scarce. This is your character and you have to say so in stats for your character or the abilities for your pet. And many times have i emailed and comment on their sites, giving them constructive criticism to find out its just been deleted. They truly dont care about their subscribers and they dont care about making the game fun for everyone. As long as they keep the kids playing they can get the money from the parents and as long as they have your money/subscription they could care less about it. I trully spend more time frustrated then actually enjoying this game.
Parent Written bythatguyoverthere March 5, 2012

Wizard 101 is ok but there is a price

Well Its fun i play w/ m friends but if you want the full expanse of the game NO money involved steer clear of it!!!! But spend like 10$ its going to be really fun!!!