Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for World of Tanks

Tank game promotes teamwork, competition, in-game extras.

Parent Written byIan H. April 26, 2017

Things you need to know.

Great game for anyone, but there are a few things you need to know, which involve going into the settings menu. 1. Turn Chat Off. 2. Select 'Censor offensive words in chat messages'. 3. Select 'Receive messages only from the contacts list'. 4. DO NOT SELECT 'Accept invitations to platoon in battle'. 5. DO NOT SELECT 'Accept friend requests' 6. Select 'Hide Spam' 7. Select 'Disable allied chat' Once you've done that you should have filtered out vertually all external communication (there is a general chat window in the garage). On the whole it has a good community, but there are some trolls and douchebags, but on the whole it's pretty decent. Combat game, but no blood or actual 'people' in the actual combat, the only people you see is your crews faces when you are in the garage. There are no people on fire here or screaming or being blown to bits, it's pretty safe. Wargaming has taken great strides to reduce the toxicity of the gaming community in general, like I said, turn chat off, end of problem. There are still click commands, like 'attack!' or 'defend the base!' so you don't really need the text chat to be honest. The lower tier tanks are pretty fun and not too competitive, once you get over tier 6 things start to get a bit competitive. i still play low level battles as they're a hoot. WG spend a lot of time balancing the games content. And whilst there is an advantage to paying for certain premium items, it's certainly not necessary unless you want to advance quicker, but whats the point? bigger tier = bigger enemies. I've logged many hours in this game, and whilst I agree it has some flaws, overall i am happy for my child to play it. It can get a bit intense so if he gets annoyed we turn it off and have a chat about being calm. He tells me to calm down, so it's sinking in :) Like all things internet, it requires your input, like I said at the beginning.
Adult Written byNot G. June 17, 2017
Worst game ever made. It is by far the most unbalance, unfair, and boring game to date. 90% of the gameplay is you sitting behind a rock trying to shoot someone 10 miles away because venturing out to find someone is suicide. Enemies constantly disappear and reappear immediately making the game unfair as enemies can see you but you can't see them. Despite allowing bloom to reduce to 0 shots will still fly off to the side for no reason. Don't even get me started on the matchmaking. You will frequently be placed into matches against tanks 2 tiers above you making you yourself usesless and adding to the frustration of this poorly developed game. The tanks themself are also unbalanced as some clear do or take far more damage than others. Artillery imparticular has received the most critism and rightfully so. The entire game is a train wreck of amateur game mechanics. Do not play under any circumstances.
Adult Written byZoM_ 2. February 21, 2017

Don't Play this game.

I have no idea where to start. Umm, first off this may have a age requirement for 13 and up but u need to be at least over 16 or 17 to play this cause the amount of profanity being said in the ingame chat is unbareable. Ext. s**tter, noob, n**ger, jew. umm should i go on? Second, when u first start off u can if u have a invite code or bonus code depending on what code of have u can either get a T2 Light or Chuchill 3 which i think ones 20$ and the other is 40$. Ok so u get either of these tanks and plus a week of prem time and on top of since ur a new player to World of Tanks, Wargaming has made it to where u get 15 or more days of FREE prem time hence the free to play. But its pay to win. Now if ur like me and u get mad at ur teams and end up sells ur high tier tanks for low ones and u dont have any credits for any high tiers then ur screwed if u dont hav at least a tier 8 prem. its better if its the T34 or IS6, I would get the T34 but its a 60$ tank that makes roughly anywhere from 50k to 250k of credit profit a game so between 4 and 20 games u will hav enough money to go buy a regular tier 7 or tier 8 tank which is stupid. And last thing as an experienceed player with over 10k battles under his belt do not expect a whole alot from ur teams. Tier 1 to tier 4 r seal clubbers who take advantage of new players and just as their name says "seal clubbers" is the same as a poacher killing a baby seal just for the sport of it. So in other words tier 1s to tier 4s even tier 5s ur going to encounter those kind of players that just use and spam straight prem/gold shells at u like it was the russian test server. Now the mid tiers r kinds alright tier 5 to tier 7 u wont run into as much ppl spamming gold at u as much as the high tiers and low tiers. Now tier 8 to tier 10 and probably even above tier 10, u will come to face those seal clubbers once again but this time they will be in thier clan wars prem tier 10 tanks also spamming gold. So all in all if ur new to this game i wouldn't recomend u play it.

Adult Written byOnlinegamer11 October 1, 2017

Most toxic community and a pay to win model

While there are elements of this game that have huge potential, the reality is that there is an incredibly toxic community that is not remotely moderated by their completely ineffective automatic report system and hugely open to abuse. Its also a very cynical business model that claims to be free to play but in reality has become more and more pay to win over the years. It has a very addictive element to it as well and there are many stories of kids and adults spending vast amounts to try to keep up with everyone else and actually have a chance of success. I would advise anyone looking at it to avoid this one as an adult and definitely not let children play it. If anything they will learn the total opposite of teamwork as a significant proportion of the player base seem to enjoy just messing up other people, trolling them and giving out some pretty vile abuse. Sadly, bullying is a constant them in every single battle.

Adult Written byXfuhit September 16, 2018

Not worth the hassel

Don't waste you time with this game, surprised it has s Score of good. It's not a game for that score any more, numerous changes, numerous wastes for your time. I've 26k+ battles in this game and have quit twice, I am about to quit my third and final time. Wanna play a game where skill doesn't matter and fully aim at a tank's weak spot to have your shot miss or bounce? Play this game. Want to angle your armor in a top tier super heavy tank and have every shot pen your tank? Play this game. Wanna actually play smart and snipe at tanks with a good gun platform tank only to be spammed by Arty which are controlled by players of no skill? Play this game. Are you a pro with Wargaming who will literally give you the BEST and I mean the BEST, "RNG" (Random number generator, aka are you paying enough or being paid to play in wargaming leagues to give you good 'rolls?" If so, play this game. Are you a normal player looking for a FUN game to play with little garbage game play mechanics. A game that is actually fun? Don't play this game. This game WAS good back in the day, but with the release of new tank lines. "Power creep." ((New tanks with better armor, guns, view range, movement, etc" vs old tanks)) are more and more. Wanna play an old tank? Have fun being the weakling. Again. I'm on my third strike with this game, if I uninstall after thousands of dollars, (No lie, numerous 60 dollars plus premium tanks in the 20 count, many hours of premium time (Which is paid for by gold which is bought with real money. Which is what you need to make any real progress in this grind fest game), seasonal bundles of 100 dollars plus, millions of free xp conversions of tank xp, thousands of play time hours and games commited with no chance of a refund? And good stats so I'm no potato talking? Perhaps take the word of a semi sane "Hard to be after this game." person and avoid this game. Don't waste your time.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byTony B. May 22, 2018

Safe for kids with parental setup

This game is perfectly safe for kids, with parental setup. My 7 year old plays this almost daily and we have no problems with any content. As the parent you need to go into settings and turn off random invites amd all chat. I would advise playing with the child like we do (my wife and myself also play). Like any game he plays we play it through first to check content. Excellent infomation about history (of tanks) and will often lead to further research about history (tanks or otherwise).
Adult Written byBruce G. April 21, 2017

Pay to Play

The game is great as far as graphics and stuff. BUT, although it is advertised as a 'free'' game, they have gotten greedy and give a extreme advantage to those who subscribe and/or buy 'premium' tanks. The subscription is monthly and outrageously high and the premium tanks can end up being very expensive, over $100. The advantage given to folks willing to 'pay to play' makes it no fun to play for free. This type of game is a poor investment compared to other online games, such as Xbox, where a single purchase allows for infinite play time., and an level playing field.

Adult Written byMJ W. December 16, 2016

Need to pay to really enjoy

Yes free.....but tough to win battles and accumulate credits with free account. Other players can be very rude and childish during gameplay. Possibly one of the "least friendly" online games I have ever played. It's an I, me, mine game for sure. Some players may be very helpful when answering messages.....others just flat out rude. Customer service takes the attitude the customer is always wrong.....ao be careful how much you invest. Yes...Game play can become enjoyable with minimal investment in a few decent tanks. All in all a good game, but just beware what you are getting into.
Adult Written bybenny m. January 2, 2018

Very arbitrary rules and game advantages

Hello gamer's, This is a review related to my personal experience in world of tanks by wargaming.net. I created my 1st account about 9 days ago. On first playing I made many mistakes, of those was hit my allies by accident. upon which my New account was immediately banned. I found this Unbelievable to say the least. I tried their ticket system to complain, and their response was basically , we are not going to change our decision, point blank. Then today Tuesday January 1, 2018 @ 2:30 AM EST I began another match and another player rammed me then killed me outright. (A rule violation that got me banned instantly) Not only did he not get banned but his name did not turn blue ( in game when a player shoots another player , now, their name turns blue to indicate they are in violation of game rules) In the ticket area in wargaming.net they conveniently state in ticket body quote * " Teamkilling/Friendly Fire is handled in game in real-time through the automated Team Damage system" In other words wargaming will not do anything about it and most importantly if this so called system did not punish player that means they are being allowed to break the rules arbitrarily. this also means that wargaming.net prohibits players from reporting other players for killing them in match, that gaming system will not punish (blatant arbitrary punishment system) they are very selective as to whom they will apply their rules to. From my experience in game i have been in many matches with employees, Big cash$ real money spenders and friends of theirs. I have seen that these individuals never are subject to the game rules. Its a wonder they are allowed to run this shady business in USA, this is highly suspect behavior.
Adult Written byBeaudin F. December 18, 2017

Bad game

Very very bad game ..... . I did play for like in beta 2012 and to 2019 . the game are accusing me for using illegal mods when i use the legal from wot web internet and aslain . Thank you for contacting World of Tanks Support. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience this matter has caused you. An investigation was performed on your account and you were found to be in violation of our End User License Agreement. We’ve recently taken action against World of Tanks accounts that were found to be using third-party programs that automate game-play, such as those known as “bots,” or modifications that provide an unfair advantage. An article regarding these actions is located here. We’re committed to providing an equal and fair playing field for everyone in World of Tanks, and will continue to take actions against those found in violation of our EULA. Cheating of any form will not be tolerated. You may refer back to our Fair Play Policy, here. Please read the End User License Agreement of your violation, more specifically: “12.1.10 using any unauthorized third party programs, including hacks, cheats, scripts, bots, trainers and automation programs that interact with the Resources in any way, for any purpose, including any unauthorized third party programs that intercept, emulate, or redirect any communication between the software and Wargaming and any unauthorized third party programs that collect information about the Game by reading areas of memory used by the software to store information;“ We have placed a 7 day account suspension for this infraction. We kindly request that you remove any extraneous files from your game client that may be considered to be a botting and/or third-party modification that provides an unfair gameplay advantage. We suggest cleaning your registry and removing any botting scripts and/or mod files from your client folders. Follow these steps to remove any leftover registry entries from your previous installation: 1) Download CCleaner here (select the green download button and then select Piriform.com) 2) Install and run the CCleaner; : - In the CCleaner program, please click on registry; : - Near the bottom of the program, click scan for issues and then click fix selected issues; 3) While you are still inside the CCleaner software, please click on cleaner (upper left hand of application); second, click analyze, and then click run cleaner. Please note that if you are prompted to save a backup of your registry, click Yes 4) Quit CCleaner. Please note that continued use of botting programs or unapproved modifications will result in a permanent game suspension on your game account. We thank you for your cooperation and understanding regarding this matter. Should you have further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again from this link. Have a nice day! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dont play this game he give you a fake accusation . you cant not have your account back he banned you forever 1million dollars i did spend on this game and he kick many of old player with fake accusation . he are there for money i only advice you all

Adult Written byZlatko J. November 30, 2017

Don't play this game, full of cheaters!!!

Lately turned into money grabing machine. Unfair matchmaking, crowded with cheaters...

Adult Written byDoomsdayspider November 25, 2018

A game that well stress you out and drive you crazy

World of tanks is a rep off. It's a game that takes your money and doesn't make any proper improvements. A cheating, aggravating, redeculous game. Tanks are improper thru and thru, maps have got redeculous. Weather on maps are are dumb can't really see anything. The game puts on a scam to catch people to play and spend money. Makes you waste your time, people who play the game don't want to make a team effort to help each other. Recommendation is don't waste your time.

Adult Written byArthur Pewtey November 20, 2018

World of Tanks - kid friendly with caution

I've been playing WOT since 2011. As a game it can be very rewarding with some unique aspects (vehicle mechanics, physics etc) that are easy to understand but do take some time to master. I would recommend that some time is spent on YouTube to learn the basics. Do not be tempted by spending money on high tierpremium tanks while you are learning the game - it is unlikely that you will have much early success with these and it will damage your overall statistics. It has a slower pace which does make it more accessible to older adults but could also make it seem quite dull to the Fortnite generation. The community is 90% sane and well behaved but there are a small minority that are absolutely poisonous so do ensure profanities are turned off in the settings. WOT has improved its moderator presence of late and they will ban people for profanities and improper conduct. They have also worked on the match making to make it more difficult for experienced players to farm new players for credits.

Ease of Play
Adult Written byMR G. April 29, 2018

Adult Written byRobertk9732 February 18, 2019

Dont bother

This game is meant to seperate your children from their money.it cost the player money after every battle to repair your tank and if you dont score enough points in a battle it usually puts the player in the red,UNLESS you pay for premium time.another disadvantage is that the game will place the player on a board that works against the type of tank you have. for example,if im using artillery,they will place my unit on a board in a city or a mountainous region in which both cases you would be lucky to get a shot off before you are killed thereby costing the player money for tank repairs.also i find it quite aggravating that in most tanks on this game it could take up to 1 min 30 seconds to reload, focus in on a target and if your tank commander is havin a good day,hitting your target which limits the amt of shots durin battle ,just because your aiming and everything looks good doesnt mean you will get a hit,thereby scoring the points you need for a good score and repairs.this game offers rewards for completing operations,which some rewards arent bad,but not necessarily what you need.for example i have accumulated approx 1.5 to 2 million experience points but have never recieved an award to convert them into anything useful to the game unless I PAY REAL MONEY to convert those points. You can convert those points into researching the next tank you would need to advance yourself.tanks start at level 1 and go to level 10.They also make the game more difficult by putting scouts on every board.your sitting in a tank that moves like a tortoise and scouts r very fast and very damaging because they literally sit next to your tank using it for target practice until they destroy you. Some of the real sarcastic players sit right off your turret while your trying to turn to defend yourself so you can see them birdseye slowing destroying your tank.it is infuriating.once your infuriated,they have successfully broken you and now you r ready to seperate yourself from your cash.its impossible to play this game without spending money unless you want to invest 5 years like i have in playing this game. In other words, to sum up, unless you spend money,you will never get the full benefit of the game.
Adult Written byJc168 February 3, 2019

Don’t play their game

Don’t play their game! No freedom of speech, lockdown your account because you said something like”stupid, coward or loser”. I am already deleted it from all my computer or iPad. They forgot one thing:”thousand game like this, why we play this ONE with no freedom to speech?
Adult Written bySeadis January 26, 2019

Glitches

Game is constantly freezing and glitching out. It also doesn’t make even teams. It will put top tier tanks against lower tiers.

Ease of Play
Adult Written byopiewanknop January 24, 2019

bully you in chat and you bully back in chat and you are banned permanently

RACIAL, BIGOTRY, DOUBLESTANDARD CHAT

Adult Written byrb30dett January 23, 2019

This is free game that still rips you off

its a fun game but if you dont buy in they will put you on a loosing side and try to get you to buy stuff for your tanks so you can up grade faster, but infact is a scam to try get you to buy in, you have to buy to win and the game is full of cheats supplied but wot so you can be right next to someone and no see them, i still think its a scan and should be banned for corrupt system game play

Adult Written byOK12345 January 7, 2019

Fun game but full of cyber bullies and perverts

This is a very fun game with very little violence. However, my experience is that many players will message each other with profanities and will harass each other. It’s impossible to know who they are, unfortunately, but they constantly bully my children whenever they try to play. I have since learned about all the controls to put on, however, kids are smart and find ways to undermine. I don’t recommend this game for children because of our experiences with these other players. The vast majority are fully grown men with fragile temperaments and little patience for inexperienced players. I have yet to find a single female player and my daughter wanted to play incessantly. Lastly, the gamer culture for this game is so toxic towards new players that we’ve decided to delete it from our XBOX.