Become a hero in an enormous online fantasy world.

Adult Written byEverydayStudent February 24, 2009

This game ruins lives

This game is one of the most beautifully designed and intricate games ever designed. The game play in here is extremely immersive-it cannot be understood how much it is without you actually sitting down and playing this game. I have played this game on and off for approximately 5 years. The players who play this game call it WoWCrack because it is the most addictive game you will most likely ever encounter. This game as a previous poster stated will ruin your lives bc kids (and adults) will play this game for hours on end and spend there time away from the game thinking about the game and their "character/s". No young child should be subjected to this type of alternate reality since it will ruin their desire to do normal activities such as watching tv, homework, hanging out with friends, playing sports, doing chores, or any other normal activity. This game should not be played with anyone who is healthy or has a family and friends. This game should only be played by those that are seriously ill-that it affects their everyday normal active lifestyle, for the elderly, or for those that are truly hermits. If I sound upset about this game, I am upset bc many people that I know in this fantasy world of Azeroth have ruined families and relationships that revolve completely around this game. If you don't want your loved ones to spend 8+ hours on a daily basis playing a game in an alternate fantasy world then do not let them play this game-ever. Good Luck and hope that you make the right decision... One last thing this is a very very very difficult game to walk away from and quit.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywillbarchi April 9, 2008

Bleeh. I've seen so many obsessed people!

OK, ITS A GOOD GAME. Don't bite my head of YET! Anyway, I personally dislike wow simply because of the fact that it TAKES OVER LYVEZ! xD Seriously, if you introduce an 11 year old to this, they won't wanna do anything else... Then just sit back and watch as they turn into an unhealthy dweeb with no social life. LOL. Harsh i know, but its the truth. There are 50 YEAR OLDS on this game. Find a more constructive past time for your kids or at least limit play time to an hour a day. Ps, I speak from experience. My next door neighbour eats drinks and SLEEPS wow. Its pretty painful to watch sometimes, cus he's a great kid. :( DONT LET THIS GAME TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE. CHOOSE REAL LIFE OVER REALITY! GET SOME REAL LIFE FRIENDS!
Parent Written byNutmeg700 October 24, 2011

Sensual/sexual Content in World of Warcraft

I played this game for 6 years because it is highly addictive. Because of my addiction I overlooked the sensual content in loading screens and pvp map screens and just about everywhere else. I had been approached sexually in the game and I've seen people using their characters for sexual reasons in the Inn rooms. I don't play the game anymore for these reasons. If Blizzard would take out the women displayed sensually on loading screens and pvp map screens, I might still play here and there. They could have nice scenery screens that I have seen instead. It's not fun to watch my husband play, and continually see women displayed sensually in front of him constantly. Anyway it is a neat game, but like I said it's too addicting, and there's too much sexual content. Hope this helps
Parent of a 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, and 13 year old Written byGarb January 29, 2011

Great game for all ages with parental monitoring

This is a great game for kids and adults to play together with other people from around the world as well as friends and family from around town. You can learn a lot from the game and the people that you play with. As with anything involving large groups of people, there are good people and not so good people that can influence the environment. The game has a Guild system for like minded people to group together allowing for a safe and friendly online community. While chat in major city’s can get out of hand, it can be filtered or turned completely off for younger players, limiting there contact with the more negative aspects of the game (which come from the other people in the world and not the game itself). The Violence in the game is mild by comparison to many other games, movies and even basic TV violence seen today. That said this is a combat based game that is about questing and fighting against creatures, humanoid beings, and monsters of all kinds in order to progress in the game.
Adult Written byCsomeSence August 15, 2011

These Concerns have no merit, WoW is perfectly fine!

Look everyone here is saying that this game is horrible for kids. Oh no you will get addicted and your life will be over for-everrrr.... In fact... no. I Bought the game in 2003 when it came out along with my friends at the time i was 10 now I am 18 years old have a girlfriend and am going to Dartmouth University next year. Typical kid growing up my life is fine and i still play. The money system and the skills needed to play can help with math and logic. If you are a parent worried about cursing for your child, simply disable the chat options or better yet join a private server especially designed for younger children. If worried about the drinking well I say good for WoW. They show you what happens if you get drunk, dizziness, disorientation and other bad results. If you still think its bad than simply tell your child that that is off limits tell him or her that entering into this area will result in account suspension and loss of serious brownie points. And the thing about sexual explicit parts of the game. If you think thats bad than take your kid to look at a magazine stand. That is much more sexually explicit.
Teen, 15 years old Written byprylozap July 6, 2011

12+ FTW!

Teaches kids how to manage money, can get to know older, kind "guild" members. A lot of people cuss on there, so make sure your kids know your opinion on this. Alcohol is involved, especially as dwarves lol.
Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byskcmz November 9, 2008

I'll Admit...

When I first heard about this game I thought it sounded stupid, but then I downloaded the free trial. Within 2 days of having the free trial I bought the game, a month later, the BC expansion. I am addicted. Anyone who says to put a limit of 45 minutes on a child to play this game has obviously not played the game enough. If you only want your child playing for 45 minutes every time they play, they'll never be able to get anything done. There are things in this game called Instances - Dungeon raids. Those alone can often take two or more hours alone. So, if you're not willing to actually let your child play the game - don't bother letting them start in the first place! I know (and raid with) seven year olds on some occasions. I think it would be a lot of fun to play the game along with your children, actually. But as I said, expecting no more than 45 minutes at a time is... really very stupid if you're going to let them play at all. If you're an adult or don't have crazy parents: play the game!! It's a blast!!
Parent Written byamyr73 August 9, 2013

Get "Hooked on WOW and you'll get hooked on reading!"

Since my son grew up during the age of computers, it was important for me to allow my son to not only get used to how to use a computer, but also to understand it. Playing a WOW game or playing a game on the XBox360 or the Playstation are the same in my eyes. In the beginning, I also thought that it would not be good for him to play so much. However, before he started playing WOW, he had a lot of issues with reading and comprehension in school and was even held back twice. Reading was boring to him and he could not seem to stay interested enough in what he was reading. About 6 months after he started playing WOW, my son started doing better in school. His reading and his comprehension improved. I have told many people that WOW taught my son how to read. WOW is a very in-depth game and requires one to pay attention to detail, read quests, comprehend what the quests are asking, and find and complete the quests. Of course, in the meantime they are playing a game, but that is still a part of learning. I can also see it from another point of view that at least my son was in a safe and drug-free environment instead of hanging out with friends and possibly getting into trouble. Now, my son is in college and doing very well for himself. No harm done at all!
Parent Written bycatapracht November 20, 2011

WoW not for kids...

I have played this game for 3 years and can tell you that i would not let my children play this game. It is fun and provides lots of adult enrertianment. Chat in this game can be very disturbing and can not be avoided.
Adult Written byvalfyre December 26, 2009

Not for the novice gaming parent.

I have been playing World of Warcraft for almost 2 years, and my oldest daughter has finally taken an interest. She is 9 and is very bright for her age. She is more than capable of playing the game, and understanding the basic concepts mechanics. There are some great things you can do to make this game playable, and highly enjoyable for younger kids like my daughter. How do you accomplish this? Keep the game sandboxed. What I mean by this is, try and limit their playtime to areas that are nearly devoid of other players, and out of the huge chat channels with hundreds of people talking at once. Choosing the correct "newbie zone" to level in is big. I find that the "BC" races, Draniei on alliance side, Blood Elves on the horde side, are best. Their starting areas are filled with rich quests and good low level loot, and will typically have very few other players around. Also, having them work on tradeskills is a nice way to make the game a little more complicated for them, but also allowing their character to be self-sufficient. Make sure they pick skills that work for their class. For example, if they pick a mage..pick up tailoring and enchanting. If they start a Paladin, pick up mining and blacksmithing. This will allow them to gather materials while they play, and create their own items, which my daughter LOVES. There are many other things you can do, like turning off the trade and general channels, and limiting your childs playtime. Unsupervised however... this game is not a safe place for kids. There are unrestricted chat channels full of the kinds of chat the internet is known for, and highly addictive gameplay. Your kids will get sucked into this game, and love every minute of it.
Adult Written bypattimom April 9, 2008

Caution: Addicting

I think this game is appropriate for 13 years old and up. Only big negatives: very addicting, so be aware of this and restrict game play accordingly. Use of parent filters is a plus. Secondly, since chat is a big part of the game, you child will be viewing what others have to say...the good and bad. Most players seem to be teens, however you should pop in and read what your child is reading and how he/she is being "talked" to. Make your own character and try it out too. See if you approve. Overall, good game, kids "meet" other kids from different parts of the world. They learn cooperative play, and really sharpen those typing skills. Just be involved with them and check in a lot. Limit the length of game play time.
Kid, 10 years old March 14, 2014

For kids

You can turn off lots of bad things in parental settings. I started playing when I was 4!
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byLoch September 5, 2010

Good for older kids, not for tweens

As an adult, I play World Of Warcraft Online (WOW). This game does involve several different chat capabilities from 1 to 1 chat to 1 to infinate chat. Your child can have safe filters turned on, but that does not filter out any sexual, racial comments made by players in the game. Some young kids will even join "guilds" which are groups for online players to help each other out. Some of these guilds have sexual explicit chatting that goes on. My approach to this game would be to play it online with my child so that I can explain anything that pops up from the game. Age I recommenrd is 16, but it depends on the maturity/independance of yuor child.
Kid, 9 years old April 8, 2010

Perfect for children 7+!!

15+? No way! If you feel comfortable with fighting monsters, than this game is for you. Education: Children can learn how to save and spend money. Instead of one type of money, you have gold, silver, and copper. You can also learn about auction and trade. Positive messages: Sure there are some cuss words, but if you are under 13, its best to join a family guild (a guild is like a club) The older members there will be glad to help you and are kind. I know my guild is! Good role models: Sure, you can get drunk, but if you are, your avatar's vision is blurry, and you say things wrong. Example: If you become drunk, and you say "is", sometimes you say "ish" and sometimes you hiccup! Teaching you not to be drunk. Easy to play: The game has easy instructions and helpful tips at first. Also, the holiday games are easy too. Safety: There is a settings section for parents to filter words and such.
Kid, 10 years old July 22, 2009

awesome game

the best game. even the bad stuff is not really that bad, not an issue. yeah you can drink alcohol but your screen gets all blurry and you can't walk or talk straight. so really i don't if i'm going to actually play. it's a cool game that a lot of people can play, my family all plays together.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCallMeSyrup September 3, 2015

Good for 13+, addicting

We've all heard the horror stories about WoW. People dying from playing it too much, people pretty much ruining their lives over it. These things do happen but they really aren't that common. WoW is indeed an addictive game, but it only really gets dangerously addictive if the person playing it has an addictive personality. If they weren't addicted to WoW, they'd be addicted to something else most likely. World of Warcraft is very reliant on fighting, but the fighting is harmless, there are some abilities that cause blood to come from your enemy, but those are only certain abilities. There is barely any swearing, the only swear I've heard is "damn" and I can count the number of times that is said on my fingers. There is also something that I haven't seen any review mention and that's the addition of a "cash shop", a shop where you can buy stuff with real money. It's not game-changing stuff, instead it's just cosmetics and pets. If you have an issue with your child talking or playing with strangers, steer very clear of this game, as this is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG), there are millions of people playing the game, and there's even some content that forces you to play with other people (Dungeon Finder). A lot of the people on this game are very immature, and when you're in a main town, there is the addition of trade chat which you should turn off because people will say sexual remarks, swearing, etc, etc. There is alcohol, but the only thing that happens is your screen gets blurry.
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2014

World Of Warcraft

I think that the should be 9 and up as fantasy takes a huge bite out of violence and alcohol so pretty much the only think is avatars in bikinis
Parent Written byLDSWarrior March 19, 2010

Entertaining but HIGHLY Addictive,

My opinions are mixed. <=> I feel that games are meant to stretch and develop minds, and off the bat this game is heavily addictive. <+> Pro: It is a great teamwork developer, teaching to work together and fight in teams. <+> It also allows a child to imagine and dream up a world. <+> Beating later high level bosses and dungeons of the game requires significant amount of strategy and planning, not only in teamwork but also in strategic placement both physically and timing. < - > Cons: HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. < - > A game that never ends will have a child that never stops playing. . . . .Ever, < - > While social interactions are present, these social interactions are cornered, people that I want my kids hanging out with do not sit on a computer all day for one Head-plate or shield. < - > It teaches a child and fuels the desire that where you are at is never good enough, there is always something better, something bigger, and you can never reach that state. ( (( Final Conclusion )) ) If you never want to see your child again, invest a few dollars in this game. He/She will never be the same again. And will have mental addictions for the rest of life, if not watched will return to the addiction and ruin life. [[[[[ This is a review, I played the game, and it took years to get me off. I still have to stay a large distance away from it. Don't touch this game, ever. ]]]]]]
Parent Written byNicklausse May 31, 2014

Okay for tweens *with supervision*.

If you're going to play WOW with your child then it can be appropriate for ages nine and up. We play with our two ages 9 and 11. The 9-year-old mainly likes to create characters and fiddle around in the newbie areas, and our 11-year-old can run instances well. #1 tip: turn off all chat, whispers, guild invitations, etc.. You do this by right clicking the chat bubble at the left side of the interface then unchecking the appropriate boxes. There are even user-created addons to hide the chat box or fling it off the screen. We double disable the chat in this way. Look up how. It's all over Google different ways to do this. Also, be aware you have to do it for each character. It's not account-wide. For unsupervised game play I'd definitely say age 15+ for any of these MMORPG games with unmonitored chat. Also, we have their passwords and plan to always have their passwords. (She who wields the credit card wields the passwords.) This is work having to log them in and supervise every time, but it's work well worth it. They'll play these things when they're older whether we guide them on it or not. Parental guidance is definitely in order . . . ongoing, but I think it's worth it to engender future responsible use.
Teen, 17 years old Written byPoetic Ramblings January 28, 2013

Great game, amazing graphics, good free version

Despite the title, I have not seen what I would consider graphic violence in the game. And I'm someone who's pretty squeamish about violence. The main thing you want to consider when determining whether or not your child is old enough to play this game, is that you do in fact kill things. It's not as if you see a mangled corpse, but your enemy does lay on the ground, unmoving. Given that this is a MMORPG, you do encounter other players in the game, and it goes without saying that they aren't always pleasant. You can, however, turn off the chat feature in the interface. It is true that not all characters in the game are modestly dressed, but I don't see this to be at all a problem. To quote Liz Lemon, nothing in the "bathing suit area" is revealed. It's not as if the characters are oozing sex. They're animated characters and I personally don't see the big problem if their shoulders or stomachs show. This isn't a great game for tweens that are easily frightened. There are zombies and monsters and the like. But again, nothing particular graphic or in your face. Long and short of it: it's fine for kids on the younger side provided their parents know about the different safety features and tools to limit play time. (Visit battle.net for more info.) Oh, and I do think there are more lessons to be learned then what's stated. You can talk about the warring factions and whether they consider one to be the "good guy" or "bad guy." Discuss the points of view and the good and the bad in both sides. There are some good role models, even in war. Lady Sylvanas, who freed herself and others from oppression and leads them with the hope of one day freeing all of her people. And other great leaders from both sides. Another good topic are the outcasts. The undead and worgen (werewolf like creature) races are two sides of a coin, most of them once being human and now looked down upon by the sides they fight for. As others have warned, this is not a game for people who have what I call "addictive personalities." My dad bought this game as a joint present for my sister and my 17th and 18th birthdays. (We'd been playing on a starter account.) My dad will play for a couple hours after he gets home from work. My sister will also play for a couple hours a day. I generally play less than an hour a day. I find the game is more fun when played for short periods at a time. It's a good stress reliever. Too much play time brings stress, however.