All member reviews for XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Thrilling sci-fi strategy game with violence and gore.

Learning(i)

Parent of a 7 and 13 year old Written byPandabearJohn January 9, 2013

Good Game, Should be T

This game is for the most part, has nothing that would classify it as M save the blood and the language. In the options menu though there is a tab called Squad language which can turn on and off the bad language from the squad members, and for the blood there is a Gore setting which will turn off all the blood. Basically the rest of the game is a very Brain challenging game about Attacking aliens. The worst with all those settings off is that When your troops die they fall over on their faces. Really think it was way Over-rated. should be T
Parent Written byauroraparent January 24, 2013

questionable for young teens

Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen October 15, 2012

LEARNING

A Good Strategy Game That Should Not Be Rated M.

This game has good learning scale for it is a strategy game with consequences to your choices. If you move a guy too far ahead towards an alien he will probibly die. This however should not be M because its not gory and there is no bad language. It does have green blood from aliens and thats about it so a hard T rating.
Parent of a 11, 12, 15, and 18 year old Written byColonel27 November 16, 2013

This game should be rated T

Xcom Enemy Unknown is a great game that anyone 11 and up should play. The problem with our society is there are some people out there that will not purchase a certain video game unless it is rated M because they think that all the rated T games are children's games. Honestly I applaud you, parent who is reading, for scrolling through the reviews to discover if this game is okay for children. Since you care so much about your kid, you must trust him/her enough to get this game. It is fun and it teaches you a lot about strategy the only down side is the use of a** in a couple instances.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander December 21, 2013

Undeserving of an M rating

Like the Halo series, XCOM Enemy Unknown is over-critiqued by the ESRB because it contained one scene that pushed the envelope. I can assure you that 99% of the game would have without a doubt earned a T for Teen rating. Half of the game will be spent managing a military base. You will be directing research projects for equipment and managing resources. There is no adult content to be found here. The second half will involve you commanding a troop that must fight a group of aliens. You only view these soldiers from a birds eye view and can never control them. When a squad mate or alien is shot, a small amount of blood can be seen (yellow from aliens, red from humans), however there is no gore. Blood is also obscured in the dark environments. Some projectiles such as lazer beams and grenades emit light upon impact, making the blood even harder to see. You will find blood stains on occasion from previous attacks, but it was never excessive. There is language (read the CS review for words used), but these obscene words were used infrequently. The game even teaches great lessons on death. If one of your squad members dies, he or she will no longer be usable throughout the entire course of the game. You can not restart the mission; your squad mate will be gone forever. This shows the consequences of death and how serious we must be about the well being of others. The only scene that may disturb some was the introduction. It shows the aftermath of an alien attack in a small town. You will find a disfigured corpse on the ground with it's arms removed and eyes gauged out. A few seconds later there is a brief "jump scare" when you discover the remnants of another human body, but this is the last relatively violent scene throughout the game. Each body is only seen for about 10 seconds before the camera turns away. These scenes felt more like an attention grabber to make the game feel tense, but it is not representative of the game play later on. XCOM EU is a well made strategy game with small depictions of violence and mild language. (Note: There is a setting to disable any Gore)
Parent Written byHonestreviews48 July 29, 2013

It's not that violent and plus you are half the time not doing combat.
Parent Written byNecessaryRez July 14, 2013

Violence but from a distance

While there is no doubt this tactical combat game is violent, it is turn based and it uses an overhead view rather than a first person view, so it is definitely not as immersive or such a "first hand" exposure to violence. The language is an unfortunate disappointment in an otherwise impressive game.
Adult Written byBestreviewerever123 January 12, 2014

Amazing game. But....

This is a great game for people that like strategy and birds eye view games. It is perfectly amazing but there is a little bit of cursing in some of the cut scenes. In some of the cutscenes there are people lying down dying and have blood all around them and some gore is involved in the cutscenes. But overall great game i totally recommend this for hardcore gamers. 11+
Teen, 13 years old Written byTy6248 August 2, 2013

a very good game

its pretty gore in parts with cussing every so often but its GREAT strategy game and i suggest it
Kid, 12 years old October 26, 2013

XCOM Enemy-please-dont-shoot-my-team

Common Sense Media says its not for kids. I played this and found that it's fine. There are some gory parts, in the first mission you discover one of the recon team from before, or what's left of him anyway. I played quite a bit and I will tell you now, you get very close with your team. I played it through once, well, I played about an hour or so, to get the fell of the game. Well let's just say that my whole team died in the second mission. I had to hire more and more soldiers. You really have to take good care of your troops. After I had learnt my lesson, I made sure I saved AFTER EVERY MISSION. I lost my best troop because I put him behind a tree. The first alien shot the tree down and then the 2 aliens after that killed him, at Major, Heavy. Luckily I had saved right before I did that. Some people may want to go "hardcore" and not save after they had completed a mission, or "ironman" or whatever it is, but I got really attached to my team an I didn't want them to die. This is an amazing game. I played this for a couple of days and I loved every second. . . that my team was alive. Anyway, I think this is fine for mature 11 year olds and definitely ok for 12 -13 year olds. P.S if you zoom up on some of the equipment in the research labs, it sometimes says some funny CAUTIONs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBob says hi March 22, 2013

Graphic but OK

Very strategic strategy game although it's very graphic, it's not much worse than a shooting game with blood if you child can handle language and what I call the scary element.
Kid, 9 years old May 13, 2014

intense, but gets boring after a while.

in the UK this says 12 on the front. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THIS!!!.When you open up the case the disc says pegi 18. It is a strategy game, however it has occasional bad language and ALOT of blood. Blood+bad language=NOT FOR KIDS!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeptimus776 March 29, 2013

Good Strategy Game

Xcom is a turn based strategy game about defending earth from aliens. The blood isn't too apparent and there is swearing, but this can be turned off. The game is mostly strategical but can be very hard. Overall, I think game is ok for kids 11+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjamester989 February 22, 2013

989's review!

ok... i have played xcom and i will say i usually play mmorpg stuff ,but xcom is truly amazing. this can teach kids all kinds of strategy and skills by its game play. it has a lot of alien blood and shooting so i don't think xcom should be played under the age of twelve. well theirs not much more i can say ,but try the demo. i give this game a *5/5*
Teen, 15 years old Written byDupont December 10, 2012

Good not Gorey

Its not gore filled, when a soldier is injured some blood will fly from them, no actual injuries are shown, "Impaled" is more of a cut with the Chrysalid's Scissors or a short stab after which the victem quickly dies, which isnt even viewed up close, its viewed from an overheard strategic view