All member reviews for 10 Things I Hate About You

Engaging but edgy update of Taming of the Shrew.

Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008
Parent of a 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byMrsReb16 February 3, 2010

Great movie

Love it! It was a great movie
Parent Written bymommygirl987654321 February 13, 2010

I remember this movie...

I watched this when I was 13 and there was nothing that I havn't learned that was allready very inappropriate. My older daughters love this movie and so do I. Watch it.
Kid, 12 years old October 9, 2012

It was interesting...

This is a pretty good movie, I'd say. The fact that it is a modern adaptation of one of Shakespeare's plays gives it a deeper meaning, but some parts of the plot are unrealistic. Sometimes you feel like characters are getting back together or breaking up too quickly, and this gives the movie a sense of unreality, but it was alright otherwise. There is quite a bit of drinking (at a party organized by one of the teens) and Kat starts dancing on a table, throwing up soon afterwards. She flashes her breasts at a teacher to make a distraction, although there's no nudity. There's also quite a few sexual innuendoes, including a guidance counsellor who is always writing steamy novels instead of actually listening to her students. Overall though, it's a pretty good movie.
Adult Written byMr. Susan April 22, 2012

Worth watching

One fantastic thing that I think has not been addressed by the other review is that this film offers an excellent chance to highlight the differences in gender roles, particularly in contrast with its Shakespearean inspiration. The character of Kat offers some relief from the usual weak female roles populating teen movies. This film is also simply a fun way to introduce younger audiences with Shakespeare. It highlights the main themes of 'The Taming of the Shrew' without getting too academic!
Adult Written byMamma B September 28, 2011

Great Story with a Modern Twist

I remember watching this when I was twelve. It is a great chick-flick that surprisingly the whole family will love (just not your little ones). Some parents need to get a grip and know that nowadays, kids know a whole lot more than they do. We hear it all in school so there's no need for 'a talk' about the subject matter. It's perfectly fine for 5th-6th grade and up. Just know what you and your kids are comfortable with.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byphillyfemme444 February 3, 2011

Highschoolers have seen it already, but shoo the middle school out of the room!

Because I love Taming of the Shrew, I like this movie for myself. I also know that the high school behavior depicted in this movie is typical of most high school behavior, so I would not have a problem with my 15 and 17 year old watching it to get the story of Shrew before tackling the Shakespeare version. However, my 12 year old is not allowed to watch this because it models behavior that approves of drinking, poor attitudes toward parents, sexual overtones that are inappropriate for young and middle teesn, and nudity. I do like that somecharacters do show virtue and adherence to a standard.
Adult Written byMature-teen September 10, 2010

Great female characters

Everyone should see this. An oldie but goodie. One of my favorite movies, it has strong female role models. Who know how to stand up for what they believe in and up against guys.
Teen, 17 years old Written byEllie-Donovan15 July 17, 2016

...

it's an amazing film and you feel for the characters but the ending was a let down, it was to quick and wasn't really what you'd expect. Overall I'd recommend
Teen, 15 years old Written bythePrettyDead June 24, 2016

WHYYYYYYY is it OVER??????

The title of this review was my reaction when this movie ended. It makes you laugh out loud, happy, angry, and it surely makes you cry. Just watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymarianuchiss April 24, 2016

10 Thing I Hate About You

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. My mom told me to watch it without my sister first (whose 14). The movie is really well made and relatable. Teens 13+ are OK with this movie, even younger kids it just depends on how much they know about sex and relationships. They make some references to dicks and sex but if your child is OK with all that, there is no problem. They don't show anyone having sex, they just mention it. My sister watched later on with me and she also liked it. There is also stuff to learn from the movie, both main characters show different personalities that represent people's different way of thinking. The oldest is always trying to help her sister and is always careful of who she dates and stuff she does. On the other hand, the younger sister is really hyper and all she wants is to date the jock of the school, after a while she starts realizing she deserves better. This movie is good for any age depending on what they know about the subject. This is one of my favourite movies of all times, anyone would enjoy this movie and just have a laugh.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysmudge1017 November 9, 2015

Really Good Movie

I saw this movie for the first time when I was 11. It references some things that may be inappropriate for a younger audience, but overall it isn't so bad. Kat goes to a party and gets drunk and her father makes her wear a pregnancy stomach when she goes out. Overall, a pretty good movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byFrostire September 21, 2015

Good Movie for Mature Audiences

It's a good movie, but it has a lot of bad language and sexual jokes.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymisumi May 25, 2015

a great film for teens

I find this film better than clueless and mean girls because it has positive role models and is funny as well :) there is some light sex talk and language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshanzae1 May 13, 2015

One of my favourite movies!!!

This has got to be one of my most favourite movies of all time, when I first watched it, I rewatched it 5 times because it was so good. I love the cast and I am a huge Heath Ledger fan because of this movie. I recommed all teens who are starting highschool watch this. You will not be disappointed!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 October 24, 2014

Classic remake of play will please teens

This fun and light-hearted teen friendly comedy, is perfect for those who love a touching and funny romance. There is plenty of sexual innuendo, coarse language, and alcohol use for parents to work for tweens and young teens. CONTENT: Violence: one girl punches her boyfriend in the nose(played for laughs) Sex: references abound and are used in almost every sequence. One teacher writes a novel that is erotic and some lines are shared with viewers(quivering membrane). One girl talks about how she had sex with a guy and said she wasnt ready and he dumped her because of it. After this she threatens to tell others about his small d**k. At a party teens makeout heavily. A teen finds out someone drew a non-graphic image of a penis on his face. One girl flashes her bare breasts to her teacher(We see his reaction, but no nudity) language: numerous uses of D**k, s**t, b*tch, crap, damn, hell, ass, and pissed. The b-word is used frequently and in numerous situations. drug use: there is a teacher who is shown to supposedly take drugs and teens drink and get drunk at a party MY RATING: PG-13/ for crude and sexual material, language, and drug/alcohol use- involving teenagers
Teen, 13 years old Written byLordepureheroin October 21, 2014

Dissapointing

It was OK heath ledger did very well. As has been said drinking drugs smoking sex references all the normal things for teen movies. The scene were Kat bears her breast is pretty sexist. Overall it wasnt THAT good but it was worth watching
Teen, 16 years old Written byG30rg!3 April 25, 2014

Smart and savvy shakespeare adaptation that will have teens craving the '90s

I really enjoy watching this film - it doesn't patronise teens by assuming that everything must be explained carefully and the characters are real & releasable. The main character, whilst annoying to others in the film, is wonderful to watch, and Julia Stiles sparkles as the moody, sarcastic teenager. Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon Levitt and many more grace this great movie, bringing amusing performances all the way through. You know it's a great film when even the most minor of the characters is the best they can be. All in all, I think that this is a film to treasure, and may provoke interest in reading the actual work that it is based on.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysangster April 14, 2014

Love the movie

This is one of my favorite movies, it's great! Yes, there's a party where they drink and one of the caracters smoked, but it's not excessive, there's kissing and talking about sex. The girls' dad is a great role model for teenagers also. I highly recommend this movie!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 4, 2014

Shakesperare based comedy stands on its own

Julia Stiles and a heartbreakingly young Heath Ledger play a high school Kate and Petruchio in this clever adaptation of _The Taming of the Shrew_. "Kat" is an assertive teen feminist, terrifying her teachers and (brainless) male classmates with her acerbic wit. In order to date her rather vapid younger sister, new kid Cameron bribes "Patrick" to date Kat. Of course Pat's a sweet natured romantic under his bad boy swagger, and he and Kat soon realize they're made for each other. Watch for Patrick's football field serenade to Kat: "You're Just too Good to Be True". Mild concerns in the teen comedy tradition, all of the teachers are either incompetent or uncaring; the one possible exception is Kat's African American English teacher who openly insults his students.