All member reviews for 12 Years a Slave

Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE November 3, 2013

12 Years a Slave is a Phenomenal and Brutal Film

My mom and I went to see this together. She was not sure wether to take me or not since it's R but the reason she wanted to take me was for the story and educational purpose. After the movie was over she was very glad she took me and I was glad I went. I am very mature for my age and was able to handle this movie but for most young teens and adults and myself, it's very brutal, disturbing and hard to handle. There is countless sayings of the "N" word, a brief rape scene that does not show anything graphic but it's heart breaking, full back and frontal nudity of both men and women (in the beggining of the movie). The sexual content of this movie, I was able to handle but was nothing compared to the violent cruelty. Many whipping scenes showing the graphic bloody aftermath, beatings and torture play a big role in this movie with characters treating slaves like dirt. Overall this movie is fantastic and powerful and eventually everyone should see this depending on their maturity but it's very hard to handle and a very heavy movie. The last 15 minutes of the movie are extremely emotional and no one could get out of their seats for 10 minutes after it was over. 12 Years a Slave WILL and MUST win best picture and not to be missed at some point.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek October 24, 2013

Poignant drama is not for squeamish moviegoers.

Parents, this emotionally gripping true story from the director of "Shame" is a must-see, with it's extraordinary performances and beautifully written dialogue, but the mature themes about slavery and nonsexual nudity is a better fit for teens. Violence includes an very brief rape scene, torture, and cruelty to humans, with some disturbing images. Sex includes slaves completely nude (breasts and buttocks shown), and a rape scene, that is very brief and ungraphic. Language includes "whore" and pervasive use of the "N" word. Check out this one. It is great. SUGGESTED MPAA RATING: Rated PG-13 For Mature Emotional Thematic Material, Violent Cruelty, Nudity, And Some Brief Sexual References
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2014

A must see for all who can handle it.

A few months ago I went to see 12 Years a Slave with my parents and grandmother. Even though my parents were slightly hesitant in the beginning, seeing as we'd heard from friends that it was brutal and difficult to watch, my persistence won over and we decided to go. And it was every bit brutal and difficult to watch as we had heard. I do not think this is a movie that you can say, "You must be ___ years old to watch it," it has very little to do with age. I myself am 12, but my parents and I thought I could handle it, and I did. Some of my parents' friends could not. It is more about how much inhumanity people can watch. If you are a parent reading this, it is ultimately your choice about whether or not your child watches it, but perhaps have a talk with him/her before making your decision - they may be able to sit through more than you expect. However, there are a few things to be wary of. In the beginning of the movie, at a slave auctioning, full frontal and back nudity is visible of both the men and women. In the very beginning of the film, the married protagonist and father of two is shown having intercourse with another slave. No nudity is visible, but it is very clear what is going on. Language is used throughout, with frequent uses of racist remarks. Violence is the most prevalent issue, as well as disturbing images (i.e. whip marks, bloody backs, paddle scars, etc.). Though difficult to watch, 12 Years a Slave is most definitely worth watching, especially with more mature children/teenagers. It is touching, and keeps you on the edge of your seat as you feel an inkling of the pain Solomon goes through blossom in your own heart, from the absolutely brilliant actors and script. Five Stars. -K
Teen, 17 years old Written byletztalkmoveez November 17, 2013

A difficult but essential family viewing experience.

This is what I was waiting for from Steve McQueen, and what I knew he had the potential to deliver. I guess where "Shame" really lost me when it came to anything beyond its style, "12 Years a Slave" had the substance and gravitas to accompany that style. To be clear, the result of that accompaniment might not be as fluid as it should be -- at least in the first act -- but wow is it captivating. I'll never watch this movie again; that's a testament to its impact. These actors give some of the best performances I've ever seen, and as weird and wrong as this may sound, Steve McQueen and slavery were a match made in heaven.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 1, 2013

A devastating picture that weighs on you

Steve McQueen's sure-to-be Oscar winning film hit me like a ton of bricks when the credits rolled. McQueen takes you on a journey as you witness the perfectly innocent freeman Solomon Northup being abducted and sold into slavery, as he endures a kind master, a near hanging, and one of the most despicable couples that the cinema's ever had, played by the fiery, fantastic Michael Fassbender and the truly revolting Sarah Paulson, who deserve a pair of Oscars along with newcomer Lupita Nyong'o, a slave woman equipped with one of the most tragic lives ever. The film showcases Solomon's determination to not break even though every person, every master, every slave is basically telling him to conform and lose hope. While this movie is nearly un-watchable in its brutality, its essential viewing for those who need to know how things really were in those days, the days America, for all its good deeds, will never, ever scrub away.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBring education January 9, 2014

Demanding education

Even though myself as a child it is quite educational to know what it was really like back in the time of slavery,racism and brutality i would even like to study it in school but no one has mentioned it because it was a horrible time for the human race and simply to violent.So i think children above 13 years would be able to see what it was really like and of course you cant keep your child/teenager from everything that is bad, show them what it was really like back in the day
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah November 4, 2013

So emotionally draining. So well made.

This is a very tough filmgoing experience, but it's a mandatory one. All of the performances are immaculate and the direction is exquisite, creating and extremely but appropriately emotionally draining film. It has no rewatch value and it intermediately drags for a total of about 20 minutes, but I was invested the whole time. I'm also usually quite cynical, but the content here never felt exploitative or masturbatory; it was all justified. And with that, I was crying for about half of the time, starting from about five minutes in. It's so well made that I felt tired and wiped out leaving the theater. It's extremely rare that I would see this again, but it does have to be seen. All of the acting has to been seen to believe. 9/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAVTRlover 4 January 17, 2014

12 Years a Slave

This was a good movie, but it was not the best drama movie of the year. It was tough to watch at some times, but it had great acting, especially notable were Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Fassbender. There was extreme slave cruelty in this movie including whippings and an attempted hanging. Solomon does anything he can to survive, even resulting in him whipping another slave with bloody gashes shown on the victim. There was one rape scene between a female slave and her owner, but it is only shown clothed from the chest up. In the beginning of the movie, a slave takes Solomon's hand and pleasures herself with it, it is only shown for the waist up, but it is clear what she is doing. There are a couple of scenes with slave market nudity. Behinds, breasts, and some pubic areas (blurry) are shown. N****r is used frequently because it is historically accurate. The whole way that Solomon got abducted was that he got too drunk and was abducted by his company. This was an interesting movie, and it deserved its award nominations, but I don't think that it should have won. This might bore some teens, but should be appropriate for most because the only thing really keeping this from being PG13 was the one extended lashing scene and the historical nudity.
Teen, 14 years old Written by2jayz April 4, 2015

Most see for 13+

This movie shows how horrible slavery was and doesn't hold back in showing how cruel it is. There is whippings and beatings, as well as a rape scene with no nudity. There is some nudity, not in a sexual way. There is lots of n-words. Other than that. Nothing else.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew March 2, 2015

Graphic cruelty in true historical film

My rating:R for violence,cruelty and some nudity
Teen, 16 years old Written bythelastsamurairocks February 18, 2015

an astounding and teary-eyed look at slavery

Contrary to what commonsense media rated this it's better to watch it at fifteen. There is full frontal nudity (though breasts are visible genitals are shadowed and not detailed), a rape scene and brutal violence. I found the movie to be amazing and very well made.
Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2015

Great movie!

I'm 11, I watched this with my mother and I thought it was really good but it's a pretty sad movie so if you don't like sad movies you might not want to watch this. It is VERY good so if you are 11+ then its probably okay to watch this movie. There were some pretty incredible characters who had to manage very harsh situations, and they handled it pretty well. There is some nice scenery and the acting is very good. The fact that it's based on a real story makes it more sad but also inspiring.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieGuy2570 January 20, 2015

Drama About The Slave Trade Is A Must See For All

12 Years A Slave is probably the best adaption of the slave trade I have ever seen just beating Django Unchained on my top list. Despite the strong violent scenes and torture, the movie is good to educate teens about the slave trade and the incredible story of Solomon Northup [A good role model as he pushes and will do anything to get his freedom to escape the cruel nightmarish world of the slave trade he was wrongly placed into] .There are strong racist terms throughout the movie [100s of uses of the racist term N*****] as well as frequent discriminatory language. There is some non sexual nudity at an auction where slaves are sold [we see there gentiatlia an d breasts]. However, I warn parents that they may want to shield young kids from the disturbing sex scene between a cruel plantation owner and a slave and a disturbing hanging scene where 3 slaves are hanged. Overall, this is an outstanding movie and should be viewed by everybody at some point.
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2015

12 Years a Slave is brutal, yet amazing.

I loved 12 Years a Slave. A lot of scenes in the movie are sad and are hard to watch, yet it's still a wonderful film.
Kid, 10 years old December 18, 2014

Great but...

How can you give this movie a 3-5 language? Would you like to be sworn at that many times? Even saying the 3-5 violence made me think it wasn't as violent as other movies I've seen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byklassykinksgal September 16, 2014

Great But Depends On Th Child (SPOILER ALERT)

It is such an outstanding and moving movie! One of the best I've seen! Though there is A LOT of cruelty and intense content. In one of the scenes of the movie, it showed actor Lupita Nyng'o getting whipped by her master, whipped horribly. It is important that you are sure that your child is mature enough to watch it. Good thing is there is very little sex and it gives you a little bit of history showing how it was to be a slave.
Kid, 9 years old August 11, 2014

good movie but violence and sex

good movie but some sex and violence like when this man repeatably hits a stick and when this pulls down a woman's clothes showing her brests and backside
Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2014

Perfect movie to watch with very intense scenes

12 Years a Slave is a fantastic movie to watch, well if you can handle it. Thee are bloody scenes that are depressing and sad, which will definitely make you cry. But still, 12 Years a Slave captures the brutal feeling of slavery, but it does it in a perfect way.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydirectioner2121 April 1, 2014

Beautiful!

I think the director's goal was definitely reached. The movie was amazing and it definitely raises awareness and emotions for those slaves a long time ago. But the movie was great and I was about to cry when I saw all those people being used, not being paid, not given the good food to eat and they only get the crumbs eft on everybody's plate. It was a fabulous movie with great meaning. I think it's good for 11 and up because at that age they would understand it.
Kid, 9 years old March 18, 2014

Important movie

I saw 12 years a slave but skipped some of the very violent parts. I found this film sad. I watched it because it is an important historical movie. I am glad these bad times are over. Best to watch with your parents.