Parent reviews for 17 Again

So-so comedy will amuse young Efron fans more than parents.

Adult Written byshannonbrown May 9, 2009

Great movie but not for kids 11 and under

Teen Pregnency but otherwise a great movie!

Parent of a 12-year-old Written by3984576 May 5, 2009

A good movie that brings up topics to discuss with your tween

My 11 year old daughter (just about to turn 12) and I went to see this movie. I warned her ahead of time that there were going to be some language issues with the movie and there was a fight scene.

The premise of the movie is based on teenage pregnancy and the difficulty it brings to life. The fight scene is actually the father trying to keep a creep away from his daughter.

After the movie my daughter and I had a long discussion about the issues the movie brought up. We often discuss the problem with getting pregnant as a teenager and that even with birth control you are not 100% protected.

This movie provided another opportunity to reinforce that making bad decisions in high school can make your adult life more difficult.

I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't going to be proactive with your tween and discuss the movie with them or if they are going to be resistant to you discussing issues with them. But if you have an open dialogue with your tween already then I recommend the movie.

Also, the movie gets an A+ for the geek factor in it. Those that have seen it already should know what I mean. ;-)
Parent of a 1, 7, 9, and 12-year-old Written byamyharlan May 4, 2009

Adult Written byloonymom47 May 3, 2009

Good Clean Fun? What??????????

I DIDN'T READ ENOUGH REVIEWS before going...what is "good clean family fun" to one party is vulgar to another, and I'm no prude. Let me also remind Mr. PG-13 on here that many PG-13s aren't nearly so vulgar and that's WHY we parents read reviews and trust people to be honest. I am so no other parent has to be embarrassed and cover their kids eyes...the girls in this movie were just trash. Efron makes some good moral points but discredits himself with very bad language. Deals with very mature issues that 15 yr olds and up (only if they are mature) should see, but the language was very vulgar and unnecessary. A shame, too, because I would have bought it on DVD. I will never understand why Hollywood limits its sales like that! I know kids hear all this stuff on the bus or at school but Hollywood shouldn't reinforce it and ruin what could have been a good movie. One family will small kids got up and left...I applaud them. At least their kids will still respect their principal in school. Crazy Ned makes it worth adults viewing, though! He was the star of the movie for me!!! Without him, I'd have left early. Now, Beam me up, Scotty. There's got to be a saner planet out there somewhere!

Parent of a 8, 10, and 14-year-old Written byLeah Hoskin May 2, 2009

Adult Written bykcrosbie April 29, 2009
The sexual references are well beyond what is acceptable for 10-12 year olds, sex ed class, condom distribution and makeout/bedroom scenes are but a few...The language also goes beyond 'naughty' words.

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byMovie_Watcher April 26, 2009
Parent of a 10 and 17-year-old Written byjmfturne April 25, 2009
I was very dissapointed. I went to see it with my 11 year old son. It was totally rotten. No action, too much about sex etc, I was horrified.

Adult Written bywonder dove April 24, 2009

Decent chick flick

Pretty decent movie, I honestly thought it was going to be bad as ever! Zac Efron can act...he definitely proves that in this film! As for age, that depends on the level of maturity of the viewer. I say 11 years old and up, only because I would have absolutely loved this movie if I were 11! It's much cleaner compared to the other teen movies we see today, nothing too inappropriate (unless of course you let a 6 or 7 year old view it), and good comedy all around for the younger crowd.
Parent of a 11-year-old Written byLritenour April 23, 2009

This movie is not for those under 15 years old.

This is NOT on the same level as a HSM movie. Be prepared to explain condoms, sex and endure bad language. I don't understand why they have to "junk up" movies. It would have been just as good minus the language. At least one of the sexual content parts did end with Zach advising teens to wait until they're are in love or married.

Adult Written bylorlinhail April 23, 2009

Fantastic movie - but rated PG13 for a reason!

This movie was quite funny and also gives good messages to discuss with your kids. I can't believe that some parents are getting an attitude because they brought their 9 and 10 year olds and it wasn't appropriate. Well.. IT IS RATED PG 13 FOR A REASON!! It is fine for teenagers, Efrons character always brings in the correct morals and points out when teens are behaving poorly. As a parent I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. Efron is a superb actor and he will go far.
Adult Written byamandaallheart608 April 23, 2009

you sould be over 17 to wach this

my mom said cover you eyes

Adult Written byxonikkyxo April 21, 2009

Maturer funny Zac Efron

thought it was very funny. very realistic depiction of high school life...sexual references weren't overbearing. didn't particularly like how the cheerleaders were portrayed, but overall very funny and cute.
Parent of a 11-year-old Written byhswift April 21, 2009

Bad role models for teens!

Too many sexual innuendos.
Underage drinking :-<
Language I prefer not to hear especially out of a youth's mouth.

Adult Written byhelpenme April 21, 2009
it is too sexual and influenual about sex it influences sex before marriage

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bypepitowalker April 20, 2009

The subject is teenage sex and how it affects your life.

I liked this movie a lot more than say Juno, also about teenage sex. At least Zac, as a 40-yr-old, got to explain to the Health Class that sex is really for a purpose, not to get boys to like you. That adults have sex to make babies and it's a serious, life-changing event. Gee--when have you heard that in a movie lately. It was nice to hear and it resonated with the girls in class who liked to hear it too. I also liked it that the final scene wasn't about the hero beating up the bully. They skipped that predictable step. Hurrah! I liked this movie a lot. I saw it the same weekend as Slumdog and I've thought more about "17" than Slumdog. The side story with the rich nerd and the principal was also silly and hilarious. I wish they'd skipped the line, "I think our hands just made a baby,"--ugh, cringe-worthy.

Adult Written byangaree April 20, 2009
Of course my 10 year old (very mature) was chomping at the bit to see this movie. Zac Efron's in it, after all. I probably should have pre-screened. Even she said, afterwards, that there were times when "it was totally inappropriate for her." This made me cringe a bit, that I didn't make sure. I just thought to myself, how horrible could it be? Though she's heard words like "shit" and "bitch" before...I was not prepared for "dick" and "bastard" and a few others. Plus a reference to the size of the bully's penis. The health class scene was a bit over her head 'cuz though she has the basic facts of life, she did not know what condoms were or what they did to prevent pregnancy. (she'll get all that in this year's health class.) This evening we'll discuss the overall message, but the girls throwing themselves at Zac Efron's character was a little nauseating, much like the scenes in "Can't Buy Me Love," from the 80's with Patrick Dempsy.

The students all dress and act much older than real life teenagers.

Parent of a 8 and 14-year-old Written byemily1023hi April 19, 2009

Great movie! Funny! :D

My daughter, 11: Hey, I loved this movie! It was really funny. Nothing that an 11 year old (mature, of course) hasn't seen. Language is heard in a disney PG movie, and all over the internet. I was touched by the part about the 'holding your baby girl for the first time'. Nobody really made love- no nudity (ugh I hate to say it!). Great movie overall :D
Parent Written byMrsKent April 19, 2009
ITS REALLY GOOD! but there are parts that might make you cringe in your seat....like when Zac Efron is attracted to his wife....a much older woman.....oer when his own daughter is attracted to him, and starts trying to sweet talk him in a dark room....yeah those parts might make you feel uncomfortable for the character....but overall, its a sweet feel goo movie, that you'll definetly want to see. Yes, Zac Efron did such a fantastic job, i actually felt the chemistry between him and his 'wife'.

Parent of a 9 and 11-year-old Written bymummabudda April 18, 2009

Disappointed by what could and should be a positive role model movie for kids...

I should have joined this site BEFORE I took 4 kids to see it! (ages 11 and 9)
My 9 year old told me, "I think this is too old for us", after the word "bastard" was used and "I think our hands just made a baby". I think it got worse after that. (more swearing and lots of sexual inuendos)
We left the theatre and got a refund.