All member reviews for 1776

Every American should watch this once a year.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Patriotic!

Very stirring and patriotic. Too much langauge from Ben Franklin, though, to make this for little kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMartian86 June 4, 2010

It is an absolutely awesome movie. I watched in 7th grade and every 4th of July after that. The songs are memorable. In fact, one summer I was able to practically recite the entire movie. Lots of sexual references, but small children probably wouldn't even understand half of them, especially the ox/bull joke. Lots of language, and Hopkins is constantly crying out for rum. Great movie, though.
Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2010

a great american movie!!!!!

it's great!! My teacher showed us some clips (for history) and almost everyone wanted to see the rest!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bynoteteacher September 25, 2011

1776 Entertains and Educates

This musical is a great way to teach about the history of the signing of the Declaration of Independence as well as culture of the time period.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypatbart2 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymkwcpsi April 9, 2008

Twice in 36 years

Justed watched the film for a second time recently. Saw it the first time in a theater in 1972 with my 2nd grade class. I watched it again to see if it was as cheesy and the language as gratuitous as I had remembered. It was!! You know, don't watch this crap with your kids. I am far from prudish, but, I still remember (36 years later) only remembering the foulness and trivialization of men, who in reality, risked their lives for principles that ultimately made this writer, and reader I might add, FREE. Watch HBO's mini-series "John Adams" with your kids if you want to see this subject matter done well.
Parent Written byosu_dad October 4, 2014

Can get a bit baudy...

The story is a bit wordy and slow moving, so younger kids may not follow the story well. There's not a lot of action per se, but it is very interesting to watch the history play out. The musical numbers can be a bit over-the-top funny (not necessarily meaning to be). But all in all it was enjoyable. One thing to watch out for is that there is a bit of implied adult behavior and language. Several references are made to congressmen who need to leave town to see their wives with a nudge nudge, which builds into Jefferson's wife coming to town and Adams and Franklin being shooed out of a room. Neither is overtly offensive. There is a discussion in a report from George Washington about "whoring" and soldiers contracting "the French disease." We rented and showed to our younger child after reading reviews on this site; nobody had mentioned this. Parents may want to be prepared for possible conversations about adult topics that might arise.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySalsander July 5, 2014

Appropriate for all ages, entertaining only to some

Before I begin, I'd like to mention that this movie is appropriate for anyone of any age, however I gave the 12 and up recommendation because I found viewers below this age to lose interest quickly in the movie. Although 1776 is by all means an entertaining movie, it is a bit slow moving and contains more witty humor than slapstick. The viewer will be required to know a background of the fight for American Independence as well as a good vocabulary. The actors speak in the late 1700s vernacular, so younger viewers will have a hard time deciphering what they are saying. Even if a younger viewer can miraculously make it through the entire movie, you should not need to worry about mature content. What's great about 1776 is how subtle the mature themes are. There are quite a few references to sex, such as a joke about an ox and bull, talk of STDs (called the French Disease), and Jefferson yearning to have sex while he is still young, but neither the word sex nor is sex described. Sexual overtones are very subtle and requires a lot of background knowledge to understand what these characters are talking about. There is one scene where sex is implied, but we are not certain of this. Jefferson meets his wife at his house after a long time being apart and they kiss each other in front of Ben Franklin and John Adams. Ben and John leave the house and come back the next day. Adams asks how her sleep was, although Franklin changes the question quickly to avoid potential embarrassment. Jeffersons wife then sings a song called "He Plays the Violin" about feeling "undone" when Jefferson plays the violin. Other than some of the minor sexual overtones, there was a small amount of language. A-- was used once, along with the word bas---- (but not as a vulgar term). I believe a couple d-mns were used (some with God), but it was very far and few between. Two uses of wh--e to describe a problem with the outbreak of STDs. A character drinks rum, but he never see him drunk. Overall, 1776 is very school appropriate and clean, but only older viewers will come to appreciate the film more. On for any age, recommended for at least 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire March 7, 2012

Fantastic!

I love this movie. You can follow when you are a kid but there are some parts in there that kids might not understand but aren't quite appropriate. There is one man who is constantly drinking rum and there is mild language. There is one song that is so sad because it talks about teenage boys going out to fight and are worried that they will never see their mother again. We skip that part. Overall, this is a fantastic movie and I watch it at least once a year.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 7, 2009

Dull and uninteresting from start to finish, and overly patriotic.
Adult Written byrainsayre April 9, 2008

Great Movie, But...

First of all, I LOVE this movie. It's great fun, great songs, and it covers a lot of the history very accurately. But when I sat down to watch it with my kids, after having not seen it in years, I was surprised that I didn't remember how much language there is in it. By today's standards it's pretty mild, but there's an awful lot of using the Lord's name in vain, if that bothers you. I don't want my children to start saying things like, "what in the name of God?!", or "for God's sake!" But if that doesn't bother you, enjoy a great, fun, entertaining, educational movie
Adult Written bycole thornton April 9, 2008

Education and fun also

Excellant film of the Continental congress and the fight to get the independence approved and the Declaration of independence passed. A very accurate reproduction of this time in our history and made fun with the music. Fifth graders and above will find it helps with their American history by giving them some in site to the founding fathers. And be entertained at the same time.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

I want to see this movie so, so bad! But everywhere I go is always sold out :(
Adult Written byyoyoyo212 April 9, 2008