All member reviews for 1776

Teen, 15 years old Written byMartian86 June 4, 2010

It is an absolutely awesome movie. I watched in 7th grade and every 4th of July after that. The songs are memorable. In fact, one summer I was able to practically recite the entire movie. Lots of sexual references, but small children probably wouldn't even understand half of them, especially the ox/bull joke. Lots of language, and Hopkins is constantly crying out for rum. Great movie, though.
Kid, 10 years old March 23, 2010

a great american movie!!!!!

it's great!! My teacher showed us some clips (for history) and almost everyone wanted to see the rest!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypatbart2 April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written bySalsander July 5, 2014

Appropriate for all ages, entertaining only to some

Before I begin, I'd like to mention that this movie is appropriate for anyone of any age, however I gave the 12 and up recommendation because I found viewers below this age to lose interest quickly in the movie. Although 1776 is by all means an entertaining movie, it is a bit slow moving and contains more witty humor than slapstick. The viewer will be required to know a background of the fight for American Independence as well as a good vocabulary. The actors speak in the late 1700s vernacular, so younger viewers will have a hard time deciphering what they are saying. Even if a younger viewer can miraculously make it through the entire movie, you should not need to worry about mature content. What's great about 1776 is how subtle the mature themes are. There are quite a few references to sex, such as a joke about an ox and bull, talk of STDs (called the French Disease), and Jefferson yearning to have sex while he is still young, but neither the word sex nor is sex described. Sexual overtones are very subtle and requires a lot of background knowledge to understand what these characters are talking about. There is one scene where sex is implied, but we are not certain of this. Jefferson meets his wife at his house after a long time being apart and they kiss each other in front of Ben Franklin and John Adams. Ben and John leave the house and come back the next day. Adams asks how her sleep was, although Franklin changes the question quickly to avoid potential embarrassment. Jeffersons wife then sings a song called "He Plays the Violin" about feeling "undone" when Jefferson plays the violin. Other than some of the minor sexual overtones, there was a small amount of language. A-- was used once, along with the word bas---- (but not as a vulgar term). I believe a couple d-mns were used (some with God), but it was very far and few between. Two uses of wh--e to describe a problem with the outbreak of STDs. A character drinks rum, but he never see him drunk. Overall, 1776 is very school appropriate and clean, but only older viewers will come to appreciate the film more. On for any age, recommended for at least 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire March 7, 2012

Fantastic!

I love this movie. You can follow when you are a kid but there are some parts in there that kids might not understand but aren't quite appropriate. There is one man who is constantly drinking rum and there is mild language. There is one song that is so sad because it talks about teenage boys going out to fight and are worried that they will never see their mother again. We skip that part. Overall, this is a fantastic movie and I watch it at least once a year.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 7, 2009

Dull and uninteresting from start to finish, and overly patriotic.