Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for 1917

Unique WWI epic has brutal war violence, smoking.

Adult Written byjimmythe64bitman December 21, 2019

Great Movie!

First off, this is a great movie. You should definitely take your teen to it. Also, this movie is not for little kids. If your tween is mature enough, you should take them. 9 and under. NO WAY. I mean, the movie is very violent, and there are very intense scenes. And, if your kid has seen Mad Max: Fury Road, and/or seen /played violent video games, they have seen worse and should be fine watching 1917. But like J.trix says, the violence rating should be a 4 not 5. And the cursing is reasonable for the situations.

Adult Written byJ.Trix December 19, 2019

This movie had me paralyzed! So good!

For parents,
Absolutely for young action-seeking teens, the movie does have very intense peril, but it’s not noticeable. It did have my adrenaline pumping though. The movie was gruesome, but it should be a four, not a five. Thank you, again.

Adult Written byFASHIONBABY99 February 16, 2020

Great for tweens and great movie

I think that 1917 is a fantastic film! The movie has a very serious topic and should not be watched by kids under 11. This film shows the seriousnes of war and death, so you will need to understand the topic and understand what people went through to see the film. I have a kid that is 13 and I read some other reveiws of the film and they said that if you let your kid play video games were they stab shoot and kill than the kid could see it. But otherwise you couldnt. My 13 year old doesnt playnthose types of games and I dont let him. But this movie is completely diferent. This movie would be fine aslong as they understand what was going on. I would let any kid above 11 see the film and if you are 12 and up than you can definitly see 1917.

Adult Written by1Schofield January 21, 2020

1917 is Amazing

This is by far one of the best movies I have seen. The style of filmmaking, with the one-shot is absolutely stunning and adds so much to this film. The acting is great you get attached to the characters from the very start. There is violence must almost every other war movie I have seen is way more violent. There is not really blood or gore when it comes to the actual fighting. However there are dead bodies through out which can sometimes be a little disturbing. That said this film is nothing that a teen couldn’t handle. This is a must see and honestly my Favorite movie. If you haven’t seen it yet shame on you, watch it right now.

Adult Written byMichael Cox January 13, 2020

Greatest Movie of All Time

1917 is absolutely a must watch! On several ratings is high for language, however if you are concerned about that with the British accents and background noises it makes it impossible to pick up on. It’s story and emotional feel is absolutely 100%! Plus the continuous one shot throughout the entire film is amazing. It’s main character must push through and never turn back if he wishes to save 16 hundred lives. I highly highly recommend seeing this, it is absolutely ranked 1st on my favorite movies of all time.

Adult Written bylpetlock January 10, 2020

Outstanding film. Beautiful cinema. Powerful soundtrack.

Outstanding film. This is a powerful and mentally engaging film that captures the zeitgeist of The Great War and the heartwrenching reality of trench warfare. Saving Private Ryan before Private Ryan. Beautiful cinema. Powerful soundtrack. See this film. Better than Disney's nonsense which takes the reality of war away and replaces it with far fetched make believe.

Parent of a 15-year-old Written byMichael L. January 10, 2020

Good movie. Great cinematography.

This is a good movie because of the story, the cinematrography, the direction, and the acting. It has lots of realistic depictions of WWI warfare. The violence is not disturbing to teens and adults, but it would be to younger children.
The Commonsense media review mentions a masturbation joke. Honestly, despite being riveted to the movie in a silent theater, I did not notice that joke.
The swearing is there, and it is appropriate amd realistic for a war movie. If you can handle watching human beings suffer amd die during war, you can handle curse words sprinkled throughout the movie.
The characters are notably authentic, and their mission is inspirational. There are sad moments.
I would think that a 12 or 13 year old would be fine to see this movie, but I worry about their attention span. The movie is not slow and boring, but it does drag a little bit in a few spots. Preteens and younger teens may find it to be long and monotonous at times. If someone loves war movies and cinematography, he or she will like this.

Adult Written byMovieAddict22 January 24, 2020

Great Movie

There is some violence but nothing too intense. It really shows war for what it is and it’s an incredible piece of film!! Highly recommend!

Adult Written byPerceptionisReality January 19, 2020

A good history lesson, along with a lesson in empathy and compassion

Yes, cuss words. Yes, a lot of violence. However, any parent who allows their child to return to his/her own bedroom or basement to play video games and does not monitor the violence, but cautions others from taking that same child to a historically-relevant movie, has a very skewed sense of reality. The same goes for any Marvel or related movie. How can an adult willingly take a child to see endless and senseless violence in those movies, yet say this is too violent. This movie show the horrors of war and how war impacts all of us. How can supporting a child's addiction to Fort Nite and Call of Duty (which are all about killing) but state that this movie is harmful to a child.

Children should know about the travesties of war to end all wars.

Adult Written byWarchild January 16, 2020

Very disappointing

Boring, slow, pathetic acting and detail

Adult Written bymovieman48 January 14, 2020

Slow and tedious war movie

A slow and tedious war movie which tries to give the horrors of war but which ends up in a world of unreality. The first part where the soldiers set off on their mission is rooted in reality but in the second half of the movie the action becomes more and more preposterous as our hero has more and more escapes and injuries yet still manages to run like a greyhound. This might be finding Mission Impossible but not in a movie which is seeking to recreate the realities of war. The ending is so slow as to be painful. Over-egging the pudding.
Adult Written byCoolGuy47 February 11, 2020

Not what I expected

to me the acting was good an all. my only problem was there was not a lot of war action the whole movie is basically them Just trying to warn a bunch of people and the movie was not so long either it is 1 hr 50 mins more war movies I see are longer then 2 hrs anyways kinda disappointed thought it would be better then this.
Adult Written byRichard richardson February 11, 2020

Brilliant

This movie is such a masterpiece. Students will learn more about world war 1 is this movie that in history class. It depicts the exciting journey of two army soldiers delivering a message to suspend an attack. Loved it!

Adult Written byKhun Jo February 5, 2020

Awful

Trite, cliche ridden, patronising rubbish. Apart from some clever cgi this was a waste of 2hrs of my life. I can't understand why this film has been so highly acclaimed at the Baftas and nominated at the Oscars. Corny story line, bad acting, full of tokenism and cliche. Sound track at times lingers on a single tone. Can not think of any positive thing to say about it apart from save your time and money to watch something else
Adult Written bycats cats February 4, 2020

Best oicture contender

Adult Written byJim123werty February 2, 2020

Great movie

If your child has watched Dunkirk or any other war/action movie this is fine for them some violence and some swearing but nothing to bad great movie for tweens it is also very educational

Adult Written byM8uhwkakak February 2, 2020

Lies

Common sense media at it again this movie isn't to violent but it is a bit violent with very few swear words and some small injury detail

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byBobby G. February 1, 2020

Suspenseful war drama

Violence is not too bad for a war movie. Many dead bodies are seen, but no gore. Explosions. A man is stabbed in the stomach once, and he bleeds out. Not too graphic. Infrequent strong language. A very intense film.
Adult Written byMelndaR January 20, 2020

Coming of Age Tale

Our 13 year old son was the one that approached us and said he wanted to go see this movie. I did some research and, knowing the games he, his older brother, and their friends play, on top of knowing his personal maturity level, decided (along with my husband) that we would go as a family. We are both retired military, and told our sons the soldiers in the war were about their age, for the most part, or a bit older. I think that really hit home for them. The transition from boy to man in the main character is apparent. This movie shows teens the story of a great role model, a few lessons in warfare survival, and that great things are done by many that would never have sought out danger on their own accord but blossom when thrust into action. Great movie. I would've loved to hear Sam Mendes' grandfather's stories first-hand. This is absolutely the next best thing.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byJaffaCake1731 January 18, 2020

Superb film - but only for 16+

Staggered some are posting this is fine for 10+. It's a very powerful and well done film but includes lots of very graphic violence and a very realistic depiction of close up warfare - absolutely no way is this suitable for tweens or even younger teens. You can't compare the manufactured violence children may have seen on Marvel films, computer games etc already - they know that stuff isn't real whereas this pulls you into the action in an extremely realistic way. My 11 and 13 year olds are fairly clued up but seeing this pre-16, before they are mature enough to understand the very real context of what they're seeing, would I'm pretty sure be traumatising. Plenty of time to watch these sorts of films when they are older. Definitely just one for adults or 16+.