All member reviews for 2001: A Space Odyssey

Kubrick's sci-fi masterpiece is still relevant.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byLTM312 April 10, 2010

2001-not for everybody

"2001-A Space Odyssey" is a masterpiece of film making. Based on a short story by Arthur C. Clarke, the movie is at various times philosophical and literal, poetic and logical, possible and impossible. It used at the time cutting edge special effects that were not bettered until "Star Wars" came out, and has what is perhaps the most famous "jump cut" in cinema history. The story as seen on the screen is basicly divided into 3 parts-The evolution of Man, Man's conquering of outer space, Man's next evolutionary step to "Star Child." The middle section, the moon and flight to Jupiter, is probably the most coherent and beautiful part of the film. If your teenager has the expectation of laser battles and exploding planets, this movie is not for them. However if you have a child who has begun to ask "Why are we here?", "What is the point of life?" this film is for them. Directed by Stanley Kubrick, originally in 70 mm Cinerama, and stereo. Special effects by Douglas Trumbul and John Dykstra among othesr. Hey kids, models and film tricks. No computers were used.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 20, 2009

There's nothing objectional, but young kids will be bored to tears.
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2008

CSM Overreacted

Thematic elements are not really much of a problem then it CSM thought. Trust, it is one of the best films ever made (undoubtedly the best sci-fi by a llllllloooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg shot). But really a yellow for violence you see one of those heart rate things go red and a body floating around horrible, right? The only problem is the pace, which some find annoying as heck, but I actually find it kind of soothing when I'm stressed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEasy E March 26, 2014

Smart movie, Kubrick's really really really smart: My favorite movie ever!!

This movie should be fine for your child, 1 or two uses of 'He**' but nothing that bad. A human like primate is brutaly beaten and killed, this may be scary to some young audiences. A man drifts out into space and seemingly dies. A human like computer is shut down and evan though this computer is the villen in the film it is still emotional because kubrick forcess you to beg the queation. " Has the mechines that we created become just as humen as you and me, who is the judge of whats human and not?" Some creepy music is played in the background. Evan though this movie is perfectly fine for your child to view, I would not recomend for younger audiences because you need to have a looooooonggggg etention span to thoughroly enjoy the movie. There is barely any dialog in the picture. To enjoy the movie you also need to have an exicting intelligence before the movie considering the movie is about the rise and fall of humanity in corilation with the rise and fall of machines.
Written byAnonymous May 5, 2013

It is Rated G in 1968 by MPAA. I Give it the MPAA PG-13 Rating.

My Review of this Film. It's an EPIC WIN for 13+ People. The Violence CSM Gave is a 3/5. I Give it 3/5 as will. This should have been a Rated PG-13. They didn't have that rating back in 1968.
Kid, 12 years old July 30, 2010

If you can sit still for two and a half hours and want your brain taken over by a film, this is a must-see

I do not feel qualified to review this film, but I will anyway. I'll highlight the bad first: The star gate scene went on way too long, most of the movie is a test of endurance, and the humans which you are supposed to be scared for aren't emotionally reasonate. That said, this is insane. It was made in 1968, and due to insanely good special effects and scientific accuracy, it feels like the concept of space today, not in 1968. A lot of people complain that they can't figure out the plot, well, think harder. Kubrick showed what happened and didn't have people spoon feed you info. You have to think about how it all fits together. Because of this, I think of this movie a lot, so when I am asked to recommend a film, I think of this first. Watch it four times over a week and think about it, and this will land among your favorite films too.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

5/5

A movie way ahead of its time! This movie is a masterpiece and Stanley Kubrick made history with this film. The only thing is I wouldn't reccomend younger children watching it as they may not understand all the content.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 April 11, 2009

sigh

What a boring boring movie. I thought it would never end.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bylgigli October 22, 2013

confusing and not complete

There is not enough there, there. My son (12) and I felt there was not plot. The visuals are good, but it leaves you longer for more cohesiveness that just isn't there.
Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written bystarshower January 31, 2013

2001 A space odyssey

The back ground message is self preservation,space exploration and the meaning of existence. The space ship "Discovery" with its crew of 5(6 if you count the on board computer HAL9000)go up to explore the thing called the monolith when on board computer HAL9000 malfunctions and shuts off the life support of the 3 scientists in hibernation. It also cuts the life line of the co-pilot while he is outside the ship. The only person left on board is captain Dave Bowman. He shuts down HAL9000. Afterwords he finds the large monolith near Jupiter and gets transported to an alternate universe. It was good because it left me wondering.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: All ages

This is a slow-paced sci-fi film and presents thematic elements that may be too confusing to children. There is very little violence, but people do die in the film. An astronaut loses air in space and several hibernating people have their life-support systems disconnected. The stargate sequence has a lot of flashing colors and eerie music that may scare young children. There are a few instances of mild language. However, they are casually said and may go unnoticed.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written bysomgop September 28, 2012

Not easy to watch but truly incredible!

If yuo are looking for a thought provoking and mature look at who we were and where we may be going, this is one of the truly great cinematic triumphs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 10, 2011

2001: Does Sci-fi get better than this?

2001 is a pure masterpiece, plain and simple. Stanley Kubrick gives us an intelligent look at not only the battle between man and machine, but also at the mysteries of the known and unknown universe. Yet this film requires the audience to be patient and if the audience does that they will be enthralled. Note to parents: The movie will most likely go over most kids' heads and it is also very slow-paced, which might make younger teens anxious. HAL might also scare younger viewers.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News March 9, 2011

Heavily symbolical sci-fi acid trip may be too much for kids

This is a hypnotizing Kubrick film, one with tons of symbolism and metaphors. The young ones most definitely won't understand it.
Adult Written byHaloFreak123 April 9, 2008

A classic

This is a great movie, its just that the ending is wierd. :)
Adult Written bySpongepat63 June 28, 2015

My Favorite Movie But.....

2001 has became famous for it's critical acclaim. Some (including me) call it a masterpiece. Some call it a confusing snooze-fest. There is nothing that anyone of any age can't handle. But it's not even just kids who find this boring. Adults, do too. So if you are expecting something fast-paced don't watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 May 30, 2015

it honestly depends on how easily your child gets bored.

I saw this movie a few weeks ago and I came in with high expectations at first because I heard how much of a great movie it was supposed to be and at first I was bored to tears so I turned it off after about 46 minutes. However I decided to give it another chance and after 53 minutes the movie really gets going and I loved the rest of it. I would like to say first of all that this movie is very erie for a science fiction film and it's probably the scariest movie I've seen that isn't intended to scare you. One example of a frightening scene is the stargate sequence during the last half hour of the movie and there is unsettling music playing during the scene that I even found creepy so make sure you know how easily your child gets scared. There is also about three uses of d*** and hel* each but they are said quickly so don't worry too much parents. There is also a brief amount of violence at the beginning where it shows the dawn of man, and you see apes beating a animal with a bone and eventually another ape. However it isn't too violent at all. Honestly I think this can be a good movie for teaching kids about evolution but make sure you know how easily they get bored and be slightly cautious about the other material. Before I end my review I would like to say that this is my first common sense media review in three months because I was locked out of my account and I now figured out how to get in!
Kid, 9 years old May 30, 2015

A wonderful production revealing the mysteries of space.

2001 is surely my favourite movie. It starts with a few monkeys on a plain, eating pig like creatures. The first thing we notice is the similarity between the pigs and the monkeys. Both are living simple lives without change or thought, you could say. But then the monkeys see a monolith, and, Stanley Kubrick, using the camera to perfection, shows a monkey throwing up a bone. Invention. Technology. Ideas. You see, this is the mystery of the movie: what does the monolith represent? Is it a symbol? There is one more thing: the bone turns into a spaceship. This is an unbelievable production; it shows the true mystery of space, and talks about development of human nature. A must see.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlice Wonders April 24, 2015

Precaution

A timeless tale that teaches people about the perils of letting technology do all the work and dangerously taking over,we activate them,they don't activate us.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHweetseart April 18, 2015

Wow!

That's really good, but young people won't appreciate it, and will get bored.