All member reviews for 2001: A Space Odyssey

Kubrick's sci-fi masterpiece is still relevant.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byLTM312 April 10, 2010

2001-not for everybody

"2001-A Space Odyssey" is a masterpiece of film making. Based on a short story by Arthur C. Clarke, the movie is at various times philosophical and literal, poetic and logical, possible and impossible. It used at the time cutting edge special effects that were not bettered until "Star Wars" came out, and has what is perhaps the most famous "jump cut" in cinema history. The story as seen on the screen is basicly divided into 3 parts-The evolution of Man, Man's conquering of outer space, Man's next evolutionary step to "Star Child." The middle section, the moon and flight to Jupiter, is probably the most coherent and beautiful part of the film. If your teenager has the expectation of laser battles and exploding planets, this movie is not for them. However if you have a child who has begun to ask "Why are we here?", "What is the point of life?" this film is for them. Directed by Stanley Kubrick, originally in 70 mm Cinerama, and stereo. Special effects by Douglas Trumbul and John Dykstra among othesr. Hey kids, models and film tricks. No computers were used.
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2008

CSM Overreacted

Thematic elements are not really much of a problem then it CSM thought. Trust, it is one of the best films ever made (undoubtedly the best sci-fi by a llllllloooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg shot). But really a yellow for violence you see one of those heart rate things go red and a body floating around horrible, right? The only problem is the pace, which some find annoying as heck, but I actually find it kind of soothing when I'm stressed.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 20, 2009
There's nothing objectional, but young kids will be bored to tears.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEasy E March 26, 2014

Smart movie, Kubrick's really really really smart: My favorite movie ever!!

This movie should be fine for your child, 1 or two uses of 'He**' but nothing that bad. A human like primate is brutaly beaten and killed, this may be scary to some young audiences. A man drifts out into space and seemingly dies. A human like computer is shut down and evan though this computer is the villen in the film it is still emotional because kubrick forcess you to beg the queation. " Has the mechines that we created become just as humen as you and me, who is the judge of whats human and not?" Some creepy music is played in the background. Evan though this movie is perfectly fine for your child to view, I would not recomend for younger audiences because you need to have a looooooonggggg etention span to thoughroly enjoy the movie. There is barely any dialog in the picture. To enjoy the movie you also need to have an exicting intelligence before the movie considering the movie is about the rise and fall of humanity in corilation with the rise and fall of machines.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 April 11, 2009

sigh

What a boring boring movie. I thought it would never end.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bylgigli October 22, 2013

confusing and not complete

There is not enough there, there. My son (12) and I felt there was not plot. The visuals are good, but it leaves you longer for more cohesiveness that just isn't there.
Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2013

Suck

This is the worst movie you will ever watch! Don't even bother watching tis crap.
Adult Written bySpongepat63 June 28, 2015

My Favorite Movie But.....

2001 has became famous for it's critical acclaim. Some (including me) call it a masterpiece. Some call it a confusing snooze-fest. There is nothing that anyone of any age can't handle. But it's not even just kids who find this boring. Adults, do too. So if you are expecting something fast-paced don't watch this.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written bysomgop September 28, 2012

Not easy to watch but truly incredible!

If yuo are looking for a thought provoking and mature look at who we were and where we may be going, this is one of the truly great cinematic triumphs.
Kid, 12 years old July 30, 2010

If you can sit still for two and a half hours and want your brain taken over by a film, this is a must-see

I do not feel qualified to review this film, but I will anyway. I'll highlight the bad first: The star gate scene went on way too long, most of the movie is a test of endurance, and the humans which you are supposed to be scared for aren't emotionally reasonate. That said, this is insane. It was made in 1968, and due to insanely good special effects and scientific accuracy, it feels like the concept of space today, not in 1968. A lot of people complain that they can't figure out the plot, well, think harder. Kubrick showed what happened and didn't have people spoon feed you info. You have to think about how it all fits together. Because of this, I think of this movie a lot, so when I am asked to recommend a film, I think of this first. Watch it four times over a week and think about it, and this will land among your favorite films too.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

5/5

A movie way ahead of its time! This movie is a masterpiece and Stanley Kubrick made history with this film. The only thing is I wouldn't reccomend younger children watching it as they may not understand all the content.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: All ages

This is a slow-paced sci-fi film and presents thematic elements that may be too confusing to children. There is very little violence, but people do die in the film. An astronaut loses air in space and several hibernating people have their life-support systems disconnected. The stargate sequence has a lot of flashing colors and eerie music that may scare young children. There are a few instances of mild language. However, they are casually said and may go unnoticed.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 10, 2011

2001: Does Sci-fi get better than this?

2001 is a pure masterpiece, plain and simple. Stanley Kubrick gives us an intelligent look at not only the battle between man and machine, but also at the mysteries of the known and unknown universe. Yet this film requires the audience to be patient and if the audience does that they will be enthralled. Note to parents: The movie will most likely go over most kids' heads and it is also very slow-paced, which might make younger teens anxious. HAL might also scare younger viewers.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News March 9, 2011

Heavily symbolical sci-fi acid trip may be too much for kids

This is a hypnotizing Kubrick film, one with tons of symbolism and metaphors. The young ones most definitely won't understand it.
Adult Written byHaloFreak123 April 9, 2008

A classic

This is a great movie, its just that the ending is wierd. :)
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2016

Classic Sci-Fi Hit!

This Stanley Kubrick Hit was the masterpiece of the future and a the ultimate adventure of space! I really think if you have a Tween (10-12) you should watch the movie with them.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymhaven_10 May 6, 2016
The 2001 Space Odyssey movie was a confusing movie and i wasnt that interested in the movie. so I gave this 3/5 stars, in my opinion, the movie wasnt my type of movie no action or drama happening, its a movie you have to really pay attention to. In other reviews I seen, the movie was amazing but also there was some bad reviews and that it was boring. The movie inspired the world in new ways. In the beginning of the movie it starts with apes that discover a bone and also a black rectangle (Black Monolith) which stands for the "Dawn of Man" then it switches to space where two spacemen use technology and travels to the moon to see the strange figure on the moon but during the journey a man dies and Hal the computer that helps them during the voyage tells them that he made an error and so the astronaunts David Bowman (Keir Dullea) and Frank Poole (Gary Lockwood) try to shut it down. but in the end The both die. I dont really understand the movie but if I was really interested in the movie MAYBE I would of loved it. But its not A family movie that i would recommend to others.
Adult Written byKaaatie May 6, 2016

2001: a space odyssey

I give this movie a 4 star mostly because of the uniqueness, but overall the plot of the movie left me puzzled. i feel that this movies meaning is about evolution and how advanced technology can get, how it could take over and what could happen if we travel through time and space. Maybe the meaning is a warning to the future, maybe its a theory that all this already happened and the Star child was the beginning of humanity. But i did like the trip scene, where there's a lot of color. i strongly feel like this movie is the meaning of live, from evolving to destroying ourselves because that's just life, and that there could be other life form beyond our galaxy. this movie definitely challenges your thoughts.
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie March 19, 2016

Kubrick's Masterpiece, but Extremely Violent

What's the movie about? : After a huge jump from bone to machines, HAL 9000 (Douglas Rain) refuses to do the tasks asked by his commander, David Bowman (Keir Dullea). HAL 9000 kills all members on board except for David, and David then turns HAL 9000 off, and later on TV figured out life on other planets have been discovered. Now after a crazy mess of outstanding visuals, he's now stuck in an area when he starts to age super fast. Positive Messages is a 0/5. Positive Role Models is a 4/5- David tries his hardest to save his crew members and is super resilient, and even risked his life to get into the ship. Sex is a 0.5/5- David is shown working out in his underwear after a nap. Violence is a 5/5- People are killed, beaten, and in extreme peril. One scene could be very scary for some (after Dave shuts down HAL). David almost runs out of oxygen. HAL murders almost everyone on board. Consumerism is a 0/5 Drinking, Drugs, and Smoking is a 0/5 Overall, this film is an unforgettable film for adults. And if you have some mature and understanding kids, it's possible.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeary621 October 28, 2015

Visual good, but children will not understand