All member reviews for 2012

Massive global destruction -- not for worriers.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBlueBalloon November 11, 2009
I'll just say, even though we all know that the mayan prophecy is just a bundle of crap, this does look like an incredibly intense and epic movie. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bySilbixia November 15, 2009

Great movie, but not for younger kids

I personally love disaster movies like this one, as long as they're well made; and believe me, this one is very well made. This movie is similar to The Day After Tomorrow, but on a much more massive scale (if you can imagine that). This could easily scare younger kids, so don't let your 7-year old watch it, but it's great for fans of events of epic proportions. LA is torn apart and basically turned upside-down, China and India are flooded by giant tsunamis (as well as DC in a scene involving the USS John Kennedy), and Yellowstone erupts (epically). Finally the movie is wrapped up with slight Christian overtones and everyone lives happily ever after. That is, the less than one billion people still alive. And this guys leg get torn off. Oh no. Besides the mass death and violence, there are strong family messages and good role models. So yeah.
Kid, 10 years old February 19, 2014

The movie is really good, there is not really any blood and gore.

The language is not very bad, and the sexual content is only when a man is telling his girlfriend/wife that she should get breast implants, that can probably go into a category between sex and profanity. The violence is not shooting gun and stabbing people, it's the crashes and explosions that makes this a slightly violent movie. The worst part I'd say isn't even that bad. It's probably when a guy's leg is torn off in a gear (very little gore). So if your kids are science-fiction fans, you should definitely let them see it if they want to.
Written byAnonymous September 20, 2014

2012 review

========================================================= Sex/Nudity: Laura shows a little cleavage. With Jackson wanting to show his kids a special place in Yellowstone for him and Kate in the past, Noah sarcastically states he doesn't want to know "where you and mom had sex." While hugging her close from behind in the grocery store, Gordon playfully tells Kate, "Why don't we make a baby?" She replies that they're not making a baby in the supermarket and then playfully tells him, "Hands off the merchandise" (meaning her body). He then playfully replies that women pay him thousands to handle their "boobs" (as a breast enhancement surgeon) and that she's getting such groping for free. Tamara shows some cleavage. We see two shirtless male boxers in the ring. Tamara holds up a sexy bustier in front of her clothed chest. Tamara chats with Kate and says that it was Yuri who wanted her to get her breasts done. We see some miscellaneous cleavage. From a distance, we see nudity in the paintings on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, including that of "The Creation of Adam" that shows male full frontal nudity, though it isn't graphic. We hear that Tamara had a fling with Sasha while she was dating Yuri. Adrian and Laura briefly kiss. 3.5/10. ========================================================= Violence: We see TV footage of rioting, including a windshield being smashed. We see a large explosion on a mountain (that's from construction blasting). We see a TV news report of mass suicides showing a body falling from a long distance, and then various dead bodies on the ground (no blood but may be disturbing). Jackson accidentally breaks a lamp while hurrying out of bed. A car explodes and flips while traveling through a tunnel in Paris (we later learn this was a murder). There's some crudely drawn animation showing Charlie's depiction of the apocalypse (played for comedy), including a person being hit by a lava flow and a T-Rex from the past biting someone (no blood, all very cartoonish). A boxer punches his distracted opponent in the face, sending him to the canvas. Yuri's sons have a bad/condescending attitude toward Jackson, their limo driver. In response, he purposefully drops some luggage on one boy's foot. A sudden earthquake jolt hits Kate's house, sending her and the kids scurrying for cover as the bad quake continues. Jackson arrives and yells at all of them to come with him, so they rush out to his limo and he speeds down the street that rips and splits open in a dramatic fashion, almost as if chasing them (as houses, vehicles and trees, etc. are damaged or destroyed and he drives through or into things, such as Gordon's sports car). They end up stuck behind a car with two old ladies (that ends up crashing into a raised section of street), while the limo continues on its escape route, along which greater destruction occurs (including a truck crashing into a gas station, resulting in a huge explosion). During this, they nearly drive/slide into a huge fissure (made more dangerous due to a door of the limo being gone, thus meaning Kate and the kids could fall out). As this continues, they barely drive under a bridge as it collapses, and then drive through a building as it does the same. With Gordon marginally being qualified as a pilot, he barely lifts off with Jackson and his family, all as the runway breaks open and falls away into a huge fissure that seems to be chasing them. Once airborne, they fly through and barely above all sorts of massive city destruction. During that, we see a car hit a person (viewed from a distance), a subway train flying out through the air and then exploding upon impact with the ground, people hanging from the side of a sheared away office building, and Gordon's plane flying between that and another building as both collapse toward each other. We then see a distant aerial view of huge tracts of Los Angeles now angled out of the ground and sliding into the ocean (presumably killing thousands if not millions of people). Jackson drives down a mountain in Charlie's RV (with Lilly in tow) as volcanic eruptions start in the valleys, followed by a massive, nuclear bomb style eruption that blows Charlie off his feet. That results in fireballs and massive burning pieces of Earth flying through the air and slamming into the ground. One of them hits Charlie, while Jackson tries to drive the RV through them, but one hits the back of the vehicle, shearing it away and causing the damaged back end to be on fire. A volcanic eruption cloud races across the land, hitting and destroying an airport, all as Sasha and Gordon try to get a huge Russian plane off the runway as that crumbles away below them. Once in flight, the plane ends up scraping the Eiffel Tower replica, tearing off the landing gear. We see Nima's grandmother holding down a chicken to a block where she intends to behead it, including holding the hatchet to its neck. We then hear but don't see the blow. While not seen, it's implied that billions of people worldwide die in the calamity. The Sistine Chapel ceiling collapses on those inside the building, while the dome of Saint Peter's Basilica's then collapses down on those below and beside it. As a tidal wave approaches, a cruise ship starts to list, sending those inside sliding to one side. The wave then hits, turning the ship completely over (and presumably killing everyone onboard). A massive tidal wave hits Washington, D.C., including carrying an aircraft carrier that crashes down on President Wilson and many others as the wave destroys the White House. A plane slides toward a ravine and barely stops at the edge. It then slowly tips over the edge, falls a long way, and explodes upon impact far below (presumably killing the pilot). A massive tsunami sweeps over many people, including a family that Adrian knows. Yuri punches a guard in the face. Throngs of people crowd the edge of a platform near the arks, with some falling over the edge and plummeting a long distance. Jackson, Gordon and Tenzin end up dangling above some large door gears, with Tenzin's leg being injured, while Gordon slips down into the gears and presumably is killed, and Jackson and Tenzin then barely avoid being crushed by something large that's closing. A massive wave washes a monastery from the top of a mountain. A man throws his son up to a huge closing door on an ark, but ends up falling a long distance to his presumed death. A woman presumably drowns as floodwaters rise to the top of the compartment in which she's trapped. Carried by the tidal wave, an ark slams into a mountain, causing some damage and tossing around those inside. 7/10. ========================================================= Blood/Gore: We see a TV news report of mass suicides including that showing a body falling from a long distance, and then various dead bodies on the ground (no blood, though quite disturbing). We see a dead and partially decomposed deer (with the sound of flies buzzing about) near a drained lake. We see several brief views of an injured or dead man who's quite bloody, along with a small pool of blood on the ground next to him. We see a few people with slightly bloody wounds. Tamara reacts to the bad smell onboard the ark and realizes that's from the wild animals located above her. Tenzin's leg is bloody after being wounded. Carl has a few slightly bloody scrapes on his face. 5/10. ========================================================= Profanity: At least 1 "f" word (and another mouthed one), 6 "s" words, 1 slang term for breasts ("boobs"), 11 hells, 4 asses, 4 damns, and 6 uses of "G-damn," 3 each of "My God," "Oh God" and "Oh my God," 2 uses of "God" and "Jesus," and 1 use each of "For Christ's sakes," "For God's sakes," "Holy Mother of God," "Christ" and "Jesus Christ" as exclamations. 5.5/10. ========================================================= Alcohol/Drugs: Various people have champagne at a reception. Charlie and Jackson have beer, with Charlie having another, but Jackson takes that from him before leaving. People have drinks on a cruise ship. Tony has a drink. Harry drinks several times. 4/10. ========================================================= Smoking: None. ========================================================= 2012 is a great disaster film, and is definitely worth watching. If you like disaster movies, you'll probably enjoy this. I give it 7/10. =========================================================
Teen, 14 years old Written bymoviefan24 May 14, 2012

Exciting disaster movie

Kid, 11 years old March 4, 2011

AWSOME! :)

2012 isnt real so it was a good action thriller love it
Adult Written byMovie Man November 13, 2009
I loved this movie far more than I thought I would. I was expecting a dumb disaster flick; but what I got was the best disaster film since Armageddon. It was funny, deep, scary, and had absolutely top-notch special effects and disaster sequences! I loved it, and it certainly made up for 10,000 B.C. (the same director). PARENTS: This is an unbelievably, EXTREMELY intense film with multiple sad main character deaths and countless deaths of billions of anonymous citizens. Thanks for reading - Movie Man
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2013

Great Film, Watch Out For Certain Things Though

I thought that this was an amazing film, I watched it aged 11 with my sister and got really scared, however it was full of amazing story lines and effects. There is a moment when a supermarket is ripped to pieces. They also drive through a collapsing building at part of the movie. They do swear sometimes and lady gives her father the finger, but other than that, it isn't that bad. Worth watching but not for the faint-hearted. Hope you made up your mind with this post!
Kid, 11 years old April 29, 2012

awsome

This is not for worriers because 1 billion people die but still it is really good and cool.Here's hopping this dos'nt really happen
Educator Written byyellowdiamond15 February 13, 2011

Not 4 people who make scenarios

i liked it overall, But i am a scenario person, soo the destruction of Las Angles, the volcano exploding in yellowstone, And the giant Tsunami in China was scaring me a little. But i loved it overall. I guess no were in the world was safe XD
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodperson4 November 16, 2010

TOTALLY overrated. very thrilling.

this movie was awesome! all there really is in this movie is just a bunch of violence (nothing else). I think that most 11 year olds can handle this. I saw it when I was 11.
Kid, 11 years old September 18, 2010

A sci-fi thriller great for movie-goers

Even though violence is present throughout the "big event", it doesn't go into horrifying detail. Only in a few scenes you can see people die right in front of you, but other times the camera turns an angle away from it or an object gets in front of the scene just in time. I don't see much of a problem in this movie, because comparing it to "Knowing" this movie is not based on a total extermination on mankind. This movie is a bit selfish since people who actually got on the "arks" to stay away from the flood were wealthy men and women. A scene also shows a man abandon his older son (or relative of some sort) in a boxing match, but later on sacrifices himself to get his younger sons on an "ark" in the last fourth of the movie. Good comments about this movie is that the role model the main character takes is good, since he would do anything for his family to keep them safe. The CG special effects are the best I have seen in my life, so sci-fi fans will love this movie. If you have kids over 11 that don't worry about the chosen date for this movie (which is really close from today), this would be no problem for them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviePringle September 5, 2010

A very amazing movie

I really enjoyed this movie. The subject is a little grim though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAdept August 22, 2010

2012 (some spoilers...)

Another apacalyptic tale of "the end of all things." fun, right? oh goodness. This movie has some pretty stunning special effects, (we see San Francico heave up and into the sea, and yellowstone finally blows,) but the characters are painfully shallow. And, once again, the bad guys are the stereo typical capitalists who really don't have a problem with killing people. This movie was fun to watch (it's oddly entertaining to watch giant tsnamis rise up to mt. everest,) but the characters really don't have a lot going for them. It's fairly clear who needs to die, and who is going to live. While there are some touching scene amongst the side characters, the main characters really don't make you want to cheer for them. There is some bad language in here, (the f-word is used at least once,) and some violence. (if you think about how you're watching the death of entire cities, you start feeling pretty bad...) I was really disappointed when none of the characters pondered on how the Mayans had the whole end of the world thing figured out....(*sigh*) There's some really inappropriate talk between two characters, so I would definitely heed the rating. (PG-13.) This is an entertaining movie, but it's not that memorable or frightening.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCandiceTalks June 14, 2010

Amazing, yet sad and violent. Not for young, immature or weak-stomached viewers.

This was an amazing movie, the plot line, the special effects. I actually cried. It's also very creepy to think that it's 2012 so it gives you that "real" feeling. Violence - Not much blood or anything.. (one character gets his leg messed up in a huge gear). A lot of the main characters that you get to know die. Two young characters watch as their father falls to his death and another character is ground up in some machinery - yuck, not really anny blood or gore though. There's a boxing match..nothing really except punching. A really bad suicide is mentioned on the news. Sex - One character is a surgeon who does plastic surgery on breasts. He encounters one of his previous patients, and they discuss her surgery several times. Two characters mention making a baby together. Two characters kiss once, and there's an "almost kiss" between two other characters. Language - Rare use of strong language, although there's at least one "f--k," a few "s--t," and other words like "d-mn," "-ss," "h-ll," "godd-mn," and "oh my God." One character gives another a rude finger gesture. Drinking, smoking, drugs - There is some drinking to relieve the stress that it is the end of the world. Overall, it's a very sad movie, and there are a lot of deaths. It has a lot of heavy content so not for young or immature or weak-stomached viewers. Amazing film though!
Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2010

not for people who think the world is going to end soon

it was good, but really really scary and sad i think its very violent how lots of people die luv the cute pup.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEddie_m April 2, 2010
it was horrible
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2010

eww

really bad movie, good special effects and stuff but really horribly violent and sad. i dont reccomend it at all. not for kids, maybe bored teenagers but the messages arent good. its all about one familys survival when what matters is the entire world. too sad and not even a good movie. please dont watch this, its boring and awful.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysoccerchic December 24, 2009

a christian perspective on the positives an age appropriatness

it was very action packedand you were on the edge of your seat the whole time ! i can truly say that i didnt get bored at all ! the reason i put it had a positive message is because the parents i thought showed a friendly relationship together the entire time even though the were divorced. for anyone younger than an 11 year old id have to say it was a little too violent ! if i was a ten year old i would still be having night mares about it ! but in all it was a very well written movie !
Adult Written byBengalTigger December 19, 2009

a bit over the top (unrealistic) in many places but great thriller