All member reviews for 2016: Obama's America

Anti-Obama documentary trades objectivity for persuasion.

Parent Written byTechnologist September 16, 2012

pro reviewer should be politically impartial

I just got home from a matinee of 2016. My ten year old son was sitting next to me throughout and I'm glad he was. I am stunned that the professional reviewer of this site, Ms Schonfeld, gave this work one star. The only possible explanation for this is personal politics. It is not surprising that this would be her persuasion after a career in the entertainment industry and retirement to the Seattle area. I have family members who fit the exact profile and are similarly afflicted. What I would like to see from this site is reviewers who can put their politics aside and tell me what objectionable content that I should protect my children from. Here is what you need to know. If you are a Seattle liberal, you will not like this film. However, the film is well executed, well sourced, historically informative, culturally insightful and effective at communicating its thesis. The content concerns are very slight. But you may have some things to explain to your kids afterward. Reverend Wright is on camera saying "G* D* America" once. It also shows up in text on a graphic next to his photo. Obama's father's drinking is mentioned in passing a couple of times. Also, Obama's father's multiple simultaneous marriages are observed. The violence in the film is limited to some riot scenes taken from news clips where the worst I could make out was a burning American flag. My rating of four stars is for quality of execution and educational value for my children. Political, cultural, historic, and current contexts are presented that will help your child better understand where we are in American and where we and the world have been, politically and culturally. I flagged the positive role model icon because the author/director, Dinesh D'Souza is exactly the kind of self made person I would like my children to aspire to become. He has risen by his own industry and merits, eschewing the easy rewards and status of American victim-hood.
Parent Written bySunnyboy2 September 10, 2012

2016: Obama's America A should see film this fall.

Unlike many political documentaries, this picture clearly lays out the thesis and supporting evidence. I have read several reviews which attack the film maker as peddling a conspiracy theory. I did not see this at all. I saw film maker who recognized a political attitude, called “anti-imperialist”, from his own upbringing in India. Such political thought is not recognized in the mainstream of American life. The filmmaker hangs a great deal on the title of President, then Mr. Obama’s, auto-biography “Dreams From My Father.” What were the dreams he could have gotten “from” his largely absent father. His father was a person who dreamed for independence from Great Brittan’s imperial reach. Dreams of tearing down the those who have more that lifting those who want. The theory may or may not be correct, but it is supported by facts set forth in the film. There are many unanswered questions about the Presidents past. I am disappointed that more critics fail to review the film with an objective eye, rather than feeling the need to contest the films theory and conclusions only by mocking the facts put forth. Not disputing the facts mind you, but dismissing without examination. A film that is interesting, but dry at times. This film puts forth a theory that answers troubling questions about currant Whitehouse policy. These same questions are not easily answered by any other political theory. Agree or disagree with the conclusion, the film should be watched. A thinking film, not action packed.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 11, 2012

2016 obamas america

Families can talk about the various goals of filmmaking: to inform, to entertain, or to persuade. What is the primary purpose of 2016: Obama's America? How do you know? Why is it important to understand the filmmakers' purpose? What are the differences between fact and speculation or opinion? What tools do we have to help us determine which is which? Do you think documentaries are required to be objective? Why or why not?
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byjam550 September 29, 2012

Bias

This "professional" review shows the obvious political bias of the "impartial" reviewer. This site is about whether movies are appropriate for kids. That said, this movie is a fantastic look at political philosophies and analysis of where Obama is coming from. Obviously over the heads of little kids, but anyone over the age of 13 or so could find it fascinating. Are there any adults at Common Sense that might read this reviewers review and see that it goes beyond the mission of your company and injects a political point of view that obscures an objective read on appropriateness of the movie for kids? Unfortunately, probably not. This site just lost a lot of credibility.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrobratings8901 September 15, 2012

WHY? WHY 14?!!

Why should what America would be like if Obama were re elected be 14? I think a mature 11 year old should be able to watch.