All member reviews for 300

Bloody, fanboyish retelling of an ancient battle.

this movie made me wanna be a spartan kid, lol!!!!

if you are a fan of gore and blood this movie is a must see. if not i would only half recomend it. it is based on the battle of thermopolae in which 7000 greeks including 300 spartans stood up against 2 million persians. keep in mind that this was based on a graphic novel and not very historical but it was a law in sparta that every boy of age 7 be taken and thrown into the wild as their "initiation".
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

Don't Take Your Kids

This movie is beautiful--but not for kids. I think this is why in some of the child reviews a few of them complain about the sex scenes. Well, this movie is made for adults, not for 13 year olds. And I, for one, was not offended by the love scene between a husband and wife--in fact, it was nice to actually see that sort of thing happening in a movie between a MARRIED couple! Aside from the sexuality of the movie, it is entirely too violent for kids--whether or not it is gory or realistic looking is beside the point. Kids are exposed to enough violence on regular TV, why make them sit for 2 hours staring at it?
Teen, 17 years old Written byjubanker April 9, 2008

300...

I went to see 300 with the knowledge of, this movie was made in a studio. None of it was done outdoors. I also knew that it was loosely based on the story of the 300 Spartans and was done in the fashion of a a graphic novel. Everyone of these things was proved correct when I saw it. The movie has monsters when we all know, they just weren't there when this really occurred. There is blood everywhere, but it, for the most part, looks fake like the blood in a graphic novel. It also, isn't on the ground. Gallons of blood fly but none of it stains the ground. To address nudity, the movie is full of half naked people, both men and women. The difference between the nudity in the spartan society and the Persian society is that the Persian nudity is shown in a evil way while the nudity in the Spartans is a loving marriage where the man is about to leave and will probably not be coming back. Overall, the nudity could have been taken out and the movie wouldn't have lost any of it's splendor. And, there is no language besides "tonight we dine in hell." Overall, this movie is a fun film but not earth breaking and definitely not something to take your 13 year old to, but your 15 or 16 year old should be able to be mature enough to stand the few topless women and stylistic gore.
Adult Written byneilk April 9, 2008

I was underwhelmed

This movie is nothing but a cartoon on screen which celebrates violence. It does not teach us much about history since its plot is only loosely based on facts. Sexual situations are introduced without much of a context. Characters are cartoon-like. There is lots of special effects like a rhino charging at the Spartans. The fact is that no rhino was ever used in warfare. There are many fantasies bulit into the movie. The emperor of Persia, Xerxes, is shown to be a freak with multiple piercings on his face. All sets are digitally created. I can not think of the movie as anything more than a fantasy film full of violence. Surely, with so much money spent they can give us something better.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegeek222 April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written byCurbspaget April 9, 2008

Crap, and "over-the-top"

Very strong sexual content, involving rape and anal sex. Very strong graphic violence, with LOADS of blood + gore. Literally no language. There were 10+ ads on the DVD for movies, games, and music. A very gore and bad movie, but the graphic novel sucked too. Just watch "Sin City" if you want an adaption of Frank Miller's work, it's much better.

I laughed so hard when I saw this movie it was hysterical!!!

The best movie I have seen this year!!!!!

Yes the sex is a rob;em but you could easily skip it. The violence is iffy but if your kid is about to turn 13 (like me) or older its ok. But altogether a great masterpiece, great cinamatorgraphy!!!
Adult Written bycbouch27 April 9, 2008

good enough

over rated but still good
Adult Written byNinjaLlama April 9, 2008

Eye candy.

The main thing to remember about this movie is that it's pure eye candy. The story is old and everyone should know what they're getting into right off the bat, especially if you know anything about Frank Miller and any other movie or graphic novel he's associated with. The film is not very deep, but with a few side stories to break up the continuous battle scenes. Gritty, bloody, sexy and beautiful to watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieBuffMan123 April 9, 2008

frank miller classic

great movie frame by frame of what the original graphic novel was, not for children or young teens
Adult Written bymelissaardenyi April 9, 2008

Never Judge a book by its cover

When my husband brought this movie home, I looked at the dvd and I wasnt too thrilled about watching it. It appeared to have lots of gore and fighting and not much of a storyline. In keeping an open mind, though, I decided to watch it. I was pleasantly suprised at the storyline it presented and its abundance in history. The movie had a pretty good storyline but it did have a tendency to drag in some areas. The acting was mediocre since it appeared that the actors were reading lines in some parts and didnt show the emotion that the lines should have. Over all, I did like the movie and recommend anyone who would like to learn a little more about Spartain history woudl enjoy this movie. However, make sure the kids are at a slumber party cause it isnt for the eyes of little ones.

Very good movie

One of my favorite movies, the nudity I dont think is really a problem, cause just about every 9 or 10 year old knows about sex and boobies. When the deformed guy was at Xerxies palace or whatever i do think the girl on girl action was kinda inapropriate though .Now the violence, my 8year old bro saw it and he thought it was sooo cool. but it is very gory and lots of death, and decapations, and at the end lots of dead spartans with lots of arrows inside of them. The movie it self was very enjoyable and ntertaining

wonderfull movie

great looking movie. the blood looked so fake that it was cool. the sex was like around the world but there is only that main bab scene. my MOM loves the blood it was not gory at all. if you like LORD OF THE RINGS you will like this. WONDER FULL MOVIE
Teen, 13 years old Written byyugiohsux April 9, 2008

I'm Stuck

I don't know what to put down if I think this movie is OK for 13 year olds... I think that some 13 year olds will be OK with this movie, then again, ANYONE can watch a movie, it's the PARENTS that make the judgement that they can or not. almost ALL of the kid reviews on here say that this movie is OK for their age because the movie was awsome. I can't argue with that, the movie was pretty good, but if they want to rate movies, go on IMDB not common sense media. this website is about the parents choosing the children's programs or ovies of which they can watch. now, let's get to a point here... the sex. The sex is iffy. If your child has seen movies with nudity in them, or has gone through sex education, then this movie should be OK; but this movie isn't kid friendly at all anyway. The violence is hard to talk about though. It almost looks like paper because the producer (Frank Miller) wanted this movie to relate to the comic book of which he created, and I respect that. but the violence is pretty graphic. If your child watches this, you may want to talk about war and how the violence was exagerrated. (There were no monsters, trolls, and imaginary creatures in the actual war.) The language isn't an issue. The worst that is said is "Motherless Dogs". The social behavior isn't the best either. King Leonidas kicks a BLACK-Persian into a well. The Greeks and Persians fight each other constantly. The ads in this movie... there is none, but the movie IS known enough on the internet, TV, and in maginzines a lot. The movie is one of the most overrated movies of all time. Their are no drugs in this movie, nor booze. Know Your Kid/Kids II I'll give this movie a pause because of it's graphic violence, but mostly it's sex. (Hint for parents: if a movie that takes place in africa, or an old aztec war movie like "Troy", "Kingdom Of Heaven" or this, you should expect sex in them in the future) thanks for reading. this movie is for ages 16 and up. it deserves it's R rating.

great movie

It was not that bad.Loads of action and gore. There is nudity sences too. Parents:see film first before kids.
Parent Written byDarcy16 April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written bydark rose April 9, 2008

almost as good as gladiator

omgosh!!!! i absolutely loved this movie. i was left with my mouth agape. the graphics are the best i've seen. the sex is graphic, but if you buy the dvd you can just skip over those scenes. everyone MUST see this
Teen, 14 years old Written byvisionary_surre... April 9, 2008

Stylized retelling of the Battle of Thermoplae

I thought the movie was not bad, although i would of enjoyed the real telling of the ancient battle of Thrmoplae. After being a fan of the graphic novel by the visionary Frank Miller i was somewhat dissapointed by the lack of sophisticated dialouge, which i admired from the graphic novel. Nonetheless comforting in 300 was the heavy-metal in some of the battle-scenes, which obviously did not fall in the leauge of historically accurate. Yet despite its flaws i enjoyed some of the battle-scenes, except they could not have added so much, in some instances, comical stylized violence. I thought King Leonida's wife played a good role, protecting her husband due to the contriversies of politics. Throughout 300, i think that the stylized blood is not at all bad because it's completely fanboyish and unrealistic. I think the s*x scene between the politicion and King Leonidas wife(I forgot her name) was completely unnecesary. Overall not a horrible movie, i found the the digital backround highly impressive along with a few other things, although i wish they told an accurate version of the battle of Thermoplae.
Adult Written bykara27 April 9, 2008

Very discusting!

Okay, so this movie is not only extremely bloody and gross but there is VERY graphic sexual scenes as well. First off the blood in this movie is..well...seen in almost EVERY scene. A mans head gets chopped off and you can see the insides as well as the graphic stabbings. As for the sex, there is a woman swaying in an exotic way and she isn't clothed. Although you cannot see genitals, you can kind of see her breasts through the cloth, in which her nipples are VERY visible. Later on in the beginning a woman is having sex and her breasts are completely visible and she is displayed having sex in many positions with a man. The there is also an illusion of an orgy. Woman are kissing each other and dancing erotic but in only two parts are breasts visible. This whole scene lasts for about a minute or two. I would not let my 15 year old see this. It was absolutely disgusting and unbelievably graphic. I DO NOT recommend this for ANY childs age.