Bloody, fanboyish retelling of an ancient battle.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 10, 2011

oh my god so much violence

The good stuff * Messages: Themes of underdog heroism and not bowing to corruption get a little lost in the blood and gore. * Role models: Even in the face of sure defeat, brave soldiers stand firm against tyrannous threats to freedom. A corrupt Spartan councilman is exposed as a traitor and brought to justice. But also some stereotyping based on Asian culture, as well as one character's physical disability. What to watch out for * Violence: Over-the-top battle-scene violence, including graphic decapitations, severed limbs, mutilated bodies piled high, arrow-filled torsos, etc. Young Spartan boys are forced to furiously fight each other. The Spartan mottos are "No retreat, no surrender" and "No prisoners, no mercy." * Sex: Extended love scene between Leonidas and the queen; viewers can see her nude breasts and his butt. The adolescent Oracle writhes and sways while wearing a sheer cloth that reveals her breasts. A character unwillingly has sex to procure a politician's favor. Although no nudity is shown in that scene, the aggessor whispers menacingly: "This will not be fast. You will not enjoy this." Xerxes' lair is depicted like an orgy, with various half-dressed Persian women kissing, moaning, and having sex. * Language: Colorfully worded insults like: "motherless dogs," "philosophers and boy-lovers," etc. * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Not an issue.
Adult Written byDogcrazed March 13, 2011
Ok basically there is no redeeming value. It's for perverse people to get their jollies. I don't think movies like this should exist, it is historically inaccurate and serves no purpose. Orgies and rape? Yeah no thanks. I find it very upsetting. Especially the sex and senseless violence.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010
Ah, Gerard Butler :) haha He makes this movie. I love the story, 300 against so many more and yet bravely facing their deaths. I cried when I watched this movie. Beware of nudity though.
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2011

Great adult horor movie not for anyone younger than 16

It was rated R for a reason. Very violent horor movie. Can even give teenagers nightmares.
Adult Written byDr.Q November 16, 2009
Based on a history account. Well written.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 22, 2012

300 is incredible

this is the best war movie ever and i think it's better than glory, kingdom of heaven, the patriot, and braveheart, 300 has the craziest and most jaw dropping battle scenes you'll ever watch, i'm serious lol, and Gerard butler's performance as king Leonidas was amazing might I add
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2010
love it! wasn`t as scary as i thought it would be. but preety bloodly. but i love the spartans and it is very insteristing. but one scary part show aton of people that are hanged and a child die in Leonidas hands. but its to scary for kids 12 and younger. good movie
Adult Written byNinjaLlama April 9, 2008

Eye candy.

The main thing to remember about this movie is that it's pure eye candy. The story is old and everyone should know what they're getting into right off the bat, especially if you know anything about Frank Miller and any other movie or graphic novel he's associated with. The film is not very deep, but with a few side stories to break up the continuous battle scenes. Gritty, bloody, sexy and beautiful to watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byantoineisthebest April 10, 2011

for mature pre-teen

I don't gonna lies but this is awesome ,the war scene totally awesome I watched in theater with my brother (he was 8 at the time ) and my dad,since we couldn't to buy it in dvd (we got the first it came out)the war scene were violent and bloody(with close up and slow motions decapitations) we see the queen and leonidas having sexe but the movie is awesome
Parent of a 15 year old Written byhorsegurl22 January 14, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written byskating132 August 10, 2009
I think it is an amazing movie. But there are many very violent and bloody scenes. also there is a sex scene between Leinidas and his queen and you can see the boobs of the queen a couple of times. Also, the oracle os wearing a thin white cloth and you can see her boobs a couple of times. And there is a scene where you can see girls kissing and having sex. The queen also gets forced into sex with a politician to win his vote.
Adult Written bycleanocean April 9, 2008

Please don't take your 4 year old to this movie

My wife and I stumbled into this film and quickly noticed the theater was filled with young men/boys ages 16 - 20ish... This is one of the most violent movies I've seen in a long time. I agree it would mostly suitable for folks over 17, but what shocked me was as we were leaving we noticed two couples walking out with toddler, kids at the age of 3,4, 5 years old. As we were leaving we overheard a young girl (around 4yrs old) asking her Daddy a question about whether or not they were going to go back and save the hero and why he died, She seemed worried, distraught and traumitized by the impact of this film. This little girls worry broke my heart, having two young boys of my own, i couldn't fathom having to explain such complex graphic gore and violence to my young boys. Scenes of heads and limbs being chopped off, blood squirting everywhere, graphic sex scene.. this seemed borderline abusive for such a young mind. It really angered that the AMC Westgate Theatre in Glendale AZ would allow parents to drag their babies into this film. Call me niave, but I had no idea such a thing was possible.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 30, 2012

Cool,but not for kids though.

I would NEVER recomnend this movie to any kid of any age.But I have to admit,it's action-packed.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymanay_4511 September 20, 2010

Extremely terrible!!

This movie has alot of violence, and alots of sexuality/nudity. This is actually perfect for ages 17 and older.
Parent Written byPlague December 3, 2009

This is SPARTA!

A stunning movie with eyecatching computer animated effects. The war scenes were action-packed and delivered. Gives good messages to stand for what you beleive and those you love, and to be free.
Parent of a 11, 14, 16, and 18+ year old Written bymarkaspinwall July 10, 2009

skip it; not missing anything

I took my 17 yr old son & buddy - thinking it would be just good, red-blooded American violence. But, nope, the nipple quotient was way too high for this dad. Besides the sex, movie was just plain stupid.
Teen, 14 years old Written byviceboy720 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byParentsTakeResp... April 9, 2008

It's not that violent or disgusting

300 takes place in a time where war ruled and being nice got you killed. If my kid was 13, I'd let him watch it because it's not that bad.
Adult Written bySPARTAN301 April 9, 2008

THE BEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!

I am a true Greek. With a lineage that dates back to the days of Troy and Thessa. I have seen some good Greek movies. And I have seen some crappy Greek movies. And I must say, that the 300 is the BEST movie I have ever seen. It makes William Wallace and Brave Heart look like Sesame Street. Not to take away anything from William Wallace at all. Much respect to him. 300 is much like any other uprising or rebellion movie. But the actual story and visuals are breath taking. I can't wait to buy this movie on DVD. I just came home from seeing it. I plan to see it again tomorrow night. 5 stars just aren't enough for this movie. Remember. Remember the 300!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old April 3, 2016

Awesome movie

I would rate 300 at 13+ because of the following: it has a major sex scene where the girls breasts are visible. I would say that alone makes it 12+. Talking about violence, it goes all through the movie starting from when Leonidas is a kid and smashes a rock onto another kid's face, to heads flying off and knives in giants' eyes. I would rate that 14+. So the average is 13+. You might have noticed I've used "I" lots of times. I might rate it a bit higher for you if you don't STUDY about Sparta. Like it or not, it was NOT a peaceful place. Anyway, the real world out there has a lot of violence in it. Just switch on the TV and look at the news...