All member reviews for 42

Inspiring Jackie Robinson biopic has great messages.

Parent Written byDan G. April 13, 2013

Good movie, serious content may be too much for younger teens.

A good movie with a very positive message, but with mature material that may not be appropriate for younger teens. You can read about the story in the stock review. As a movie about the real abuses of racism of that period, racial slurs are used. There is other bad language as well, and profanity. One story line deals with the public adulterous affair of a famouse baseball manager. There are also jokes about homosexual behavior.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuke G April 12, 2013

Great educational value

A great movie with great acting. It has educational value and is historically accurate. I encourage you to take your children to see it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

42 is a good movie

42 is a important and well made movie. The acting in the movie is top notch. everyone brings there game. It was a movie that I'm glad I saw I probably will see it again. Overall I enjoyed the move.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written by2 BaseballBoys April 29, 2013

Great film, just prepare your kids ahead of time

I took my 10 year old son, who plays baseball almost every day and we both loved it! He did a book report on Jackie Robinson last year so he had background on the history of the story. Unfortunately he knew about the "N" word that you'll hear 50+ times in the movie as well. I talked to him before going about what he might see and hear so we were ready. It is a fantastic film and provided an accurate depiction of history. The humanity lesson in bravery, overcoming fears, and the mind shift Jackie's team-mates had was well worth the risk of exposing my 10 year old to a PG-13 movie. We left the theater talking about how incredible Jackie was, not the language.
Parent Written byTop23 April 19, 2013

Should be required viewing for everyone

I'm biased, because one of my kids is named for Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson, so we went into the movie expecting to like it. Wow, were we wrong. We LOVED it. Despite telling our kids from the time they were born what it used to be like, there is no way to impart that as meaningfully as this movie did. When the Phillies' manager was taunting Robinson cruelly, over and over, I looked at my Branch: His fists were clenched and tears of frustration were in his eyes. He and his brother agreed later that it was the best movie they'd ever seen. I'd agree. It's old fashioned in a good way. You leave the theater sobered by what you've witnessed but in awe of the human spirit. GO SEE IT NOW!
Kid, 10 years old February 21, 2014

Accurate movie makes it a must-see for baseball fans.

There is some drinking and smoking, the sexual content is only kissing, there is not much violence and the language is a bit strong including curse words and racism. Without the swearing, this would easily be a PG movie. In my opinion, your 5-year-old baseball fan child should definitely see this movie.
Kid, 11 years old August 29, 2013

THE BEST EVER

I think it's a great movie for all baseball fans. Just a bit of swearing. If you are under the age of 10, you should watch it with a parent.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byPowellFamily June 6, 2013

Our family loved it!

We took our 8 year old daughter because we felt it was an important story to share. We knew about the language, but felt it was acceptable considering it is historically accurate. I wouldn't want her to believe everyone love Jackie Robinson and welcomed him with open arms. They were cruel, hateful, and despicable, but unfortunately it was true. I don't think the story should be sugar-coated, otherwise it loses its message.
Kid, 12 years old May 6, 2013

4star

i think that it s rating is for 13 and up little kids cant take it it gives too much info and they under stand the stuff they shouldnt and dont understand the stuff they should
Parent Written by1510686 April 22, 2013

The world has changed.....a little.

Great tool for conversation with children 9+ about how the world has changed and how it remains the same. My son unprompted after the film said, "Wow, it's not unlike how Obama has been treated by people who dislike him." This led to a really good discussion with his friends and the other parents.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE April 14, 2013

42 is the Best Movie I have Ever Seen

This movie is so inspiring and has a great message but it deals with some mature topics. There is no sex but there are a few references. The biggest thing in this movie is the "N' word. Its used frequently in the movie. It seems like its in every sentence. Also, this movie has some intense themes such as many people threaten to kill Jackie and his family. Overall GO SEE IT!! You wont be disappointed.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie man 15 March 3, 2014

pg13? 11 and up ? whats up with that
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymamacat531 September 28, 2013

Inspiring story for adults and older kids

I watched this with my nine year old son last night... what a wonderful movie. Exceptionally well acted, and a gripping, inspiring, sometimes infuriating story. Language was a bit dicey at times, including extensive use of the n-word, but it was relevant to the story and to depict the racism Robinson faced. Excellent lessons on racism, equality, and standing up for what's right while maintaining one's dignity and morals, and making one's dream come true. A true feel-good movie.
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 30, 2013

A baseball legend!

42 is a decent movie. While it's not really as great as Lincoln, it is still a great way to see how Jackie Robinson changed baseball! Parents, expect some white characters using the two "N" words (one character who plays for the Phillies won't ever shut up with that word!) and "boy" in this movie, with some other language. Other than that mostly, 42 is great for baseball-loving families, or families that love history!
Adult Written bySpartyon May 17, 2013

42 Best Baseball Movie Ever Even for non-sports fans

This is the best baseball movie ever will be getting it on DVD. Jackie Robinson delt with a lot that I don't think I could ever deal without beating someone up Jackie had thick skin. I wanted to beat the Phillies manager up for using the N word which is very common in this movie in this time as well which I knew from history. Go see this movie you will not be disppointed in this movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAlreadyTaken May 14, 2013

42, as a historical movie, was great, 5 stars. As a baseball movie, OK, 3 stars. This movie is mostly OK for kids, one suggestive theme and some language are the only real issues
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

Cool!

Love!it but lots of language
Parent Written byspanjeriscool May 1, 2013

Courage

I think that it was interesting that Pee Wee Reese showed everyone that he was supporting Jackie Robinson by putting his arm around him. It definitely took a lot of courage to do that! I'm not sure that I would have as much courage as Pee Wee to stand up for something today. What about you?
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 April 27, 2013

Great Jackie Robinson biography is really entertaining and inspiring

Kid, 11 years old April 14, 2013

42 Was Good

42 was a very well done movie. There is some bad words that realte to the movie.