Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for 9

Visually stunning but scary fantasy for older tweens and up.

Adult Written byMovie Man September 16, 2009

Visually Dominant, but Ultimately Confusing.

This is a good film. Good visuals, good action... but that's it. The most dangerous problem here is the plot holes. You could literally fall into the plot holes becuase they're so big. That's all I have to say about this short, poorly-written film. Thanks for reading. -Movie Man

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byDadofTwoGreatKiddos January 17, 2010

Definitely not for kids.

This is WAY too dark for children 9 and younger. The premise here is that humans have all been killed in this dystopic vision of the future where killer machines have taken over. There is an oppressive sense of doom and fear throughout the movie and in my mind it would leave lasting psychological scars on elementary school children. Just because kids see violence and scary stuff all too often in today's culture is no reason to fill their heads with a vision that is difficult for them to mentally bear. I will not let my 7 and 9 year old see this until they're 12 or older. That being said, I completely enjoyed it as an adult and was amazed at how much humanity the animators were able to create in the rag dolls. I highly recommend seeing this yourself first before taking your children.

Adult Written byMychemicalstinkpants January 23, 2011

depressing but great movie about the end is powerful

i love this movie it is great but some intense imagrey

Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... September 13, 2009

Short, but enjoyable and breathtakingly offbeat.

I give this movie props in the first place for just showing us that animated 3d movies don't all have to be about cute characters dancing around in happy situations. This movie's dark, gritty, and solemn tone is refreshing to see, and yet it is still appropriate for most preteens. However, being a dark movie, it's ending is not exactly the happiest, and some younger preteens might be confused by its complex post-apocalyptic setting. Action is bloodless, but the few corpse shown have a creepy realistic look to them, and some of the robots have frightening shrieks and looks as well. The worst the violence gets to is a man being gunned down by a machine gun, but you only see the body fall to the ground. Most characters still manage to have a little cute quality to them, and are lovable throughout the short movie. However, remember this is not a "happy" film, you will probably enjoy it, but the ending might just leave you with tears if your a sensitive type. All in all, I absolutely loved it. Not perfect, as the plot feels a bit rushed, but good enough to be one of my favorites. A must for those 11 and up who want some action in an animated movie.

Adult Written byjacob a June 9, 2017

A good film; not to be missed!

I think 9 is a awesome film, and I don't understand why people bash down this film and why people think "OH GOD THIS FILM IS WAY TO DARK FOR KIDS". It is in some instances, but there is such thing as turning off the film, skipping that scene, etc.

Adult Written byYumyumitsmrkakapipi November 16, 2011

People are dumb people are dumb times enfinity

Cool and amazing but violent for only 8 and up any 12 are you crazy for soul taking on little dolls totally sutabel for 8 and up
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 9 year old Written byNot the Partrid... January 22, 2010
Typical Tim Burton movie, except this time it's directed at our kids. So unless you want your child to grow up knowing or wanting to know dark things.... stir clear of Tim Burton movies. - A Christian point of view.

Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written byNervousParentOf3Boys April 5, 2015

okay but not for young viewers.

Even though it's animated, it's not for younger viewers. Don't let the fact that it's animated fool you!

Adult Written bycheetah7 April 23, 2016

Good!

It is a nice movie, with lots of action and some drama. The things you need to watch out for is the robot sucking out the doll's souls. It should be fine for 12+ or younger kids who are more mature. I watched this when I was about 7 and I was fine, even though I didnt understand it much but i watched it again and it waas great

Parent Written byJanbear February 22, 2013

Not suitable for young children

My little boy, who is 6, was shown this film at a friends ( without my permission) along with her 6 year old and 8 year old. I had not seen it myself but got concerned when he was too scared to go to sleep that night and when he described it to me I decided to google it. I was horrified when I read about it and even more horrified when I read the reviews on here. It obviously not suitable for young children - why do some parents not think about this when they have other children round??? I would not dream of watching anything like this with a 6 year old! It may be a good film for older children but certainly far too scary for little ones.
Adult Written byJEDI micah September 4, 2012

A very FRIGHTENING and EXCITING movie about the future!!!

There are many reasons why you should see this movie! First off, the animation is absolutely well-designed and looks real. Second, the deadly machines look, well, DEADLY! Third, there is no sexual content what so ever! And fourth, the main character, 9, sets a good role model when it comes to saving your friend's life! This is a great movie for teenagers who are into sci-fi or fantasy, like me! But I will warn you: THIS MOVIE IS VERY FRIGHTENING! As mentioned before, the robotic machines look very scary and they try to attack the rag dolls. If you can handle scary, then this will not be a problem!

Parent of a 11 year old Written byMontysMom May 28, 2010

Perfect for my son, 11 and I enjoyed it too....

Really enjoyed it and my son picked it and loved it. I give it a B+. Yes, it's visually dark and somewhat scary most of the time, but the characters are richly portrayed and the message and role models are positive ones. Plus it's Tim Burton's visual influences which are great!

Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010
This movie is an amazing work of art! It's so visually stunning, and...ah, there are almost no words! The story is good too. It may be a little scary for the young ones because it is kind of dark but teens and adults can both watch and hopefully appreciate!
Adult Written by:] J. April 18, 2018

AWSOME

So when I was little, i watched the movie and i fell in love, with the movie not the dolls, it was awesome, my mom said it was to scary and violent, which is in some parts, then a couple years later my babysitter had it and i had to watch it, when my mother came she let us watch it, she thought it was bad because she didn't finish it, i'm currently watching it on Netflix. eleven yrs old now

Parent Written bydanharvell March 24, 2013

Animated Thriller Satisfies, May Be Too Much For the Younger Set

A delightfully dark animated tale is a wild ride. This film, based in a dystopian future where the only life remaining on Earth appear to be a group of sock puppets and evil machines may be too intense and confusing for young viewers, but tweens and adults, alike, will enjoy a production that is Tim Burton, at his best. With violence and peril being the only content to worry about (no sexual content, drinking or drugs, consumerism, or language), even my 9-year-old considers this a favorite of hers. While my 9-year-old finds the peril, in this film, exciting, more sensitive younguns may find it frightening, so proceed based on what your children are able to handle. Over all, "9" is high on brilliantly written plot, richly written characters, and enough action to even keep adults on the edge of their seats, while remaining low on the sexual content, language, and drugs/alcohol content that mire so many of today's blockbuster films. Highly recommended to those who enjoy a good thrill!

Adult Written byashadoodle September 19, 2009

Great for even young teens.

This is a wonderful movie which follows the tale of a character called 9. He wakes up to find a bleak world full of death, finding comfort in others like himself. They work together to try to save themselves from the evil of the world. Characters are resourceful and care for one another. There are some scary characters and death throughout, but for even young teens that aren't easily scared, The story is a little weak, I'll admit, but it was very visually pleasing.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bytortimom September 13, 2009

Creative, violent, an entertaining 90 minutes.

It is very creative and has interesting characters that have a heart. It is a mixture of machines and animals and uniquely combines antiques with futuristic concepts. It will appeal to adults and pre-teens. However, the plot was a bit lacking - it is all machines against creatures, violent from start to finish. My 12 year old son understood the plot better than I did.

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 22, 2012

Wow,this movie is great.

9 is a cool movie,and nothing is wrong with it!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byconnie49 April 4, 2011

great for older kids and up.

I would say this is Off for ages 7 and below, IFFY for ages 8 and ON for ages 9 and up.Good movie.The role models and positive messages are good, For example, 9 has a selfless and brave attitude.There are however, scary moments and images that I would not recommend for 7 or below. for example, The are scenes where the machine sucks souls. And all kinds of different robots attack, All of which I think would be to scary for 7ish and below. its not really as bad as PG-13 though.If there was a rating between PG and PG-13, This would be right split there. Really good movie though!

Parent of a 11 year old Written bygamereviewer6469 March 20, 2011

Tweens and up!

Intense Violence throughout the movie but nothing else thats a problem. So if your 11 year old isnt affected by violence its on, but if he gets nightmares from Tim Burton movies, its off, and like most Tim Burton movies, a very negative message.