All member reviews for A Beautiful Mind

Oscar-winning biopic is too intense for tweens.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008
Incredible, emotional, intense, and fascinating film. Good for some kids--but it may be confusing to some kids, and too intense and sad for others.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

One of the best movies ever made!

See this movie!!! If you don't, you are seriously missing out on one of the greatest pieces of art ever made. Some of the subject matter, such as sexual refernces, and the way the movie can mess with your mind when it comes to Nash's schizophrenia, is not app-roapriate for some children; for others, it might fly right over their head if they're young enough. All in all, however, this movie deserved all the awards it won, and more in my opinion. You would only be doing a disservice to yourself by not seeing it. PS: Russel Crowe should have won best actor for his performance
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Wonderful masterpiece!

One of the best movies. Go see it!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydawtpbwv July 18, 2011

meh review

great
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySternAndFair February 24, 2014

Is this a Real Mathematic?

The man, who is a crazy person, was strucken by his ability to watch a circumstance, connect the dots and make a mathematic problem or equation for the audience. And they watch this and this, "This man, who is super smart, must be a genius." And he stands to this day? So we now know he has because the crazy person, and he lost his job and broke apart with his love of his life. The circumstance of his life is not one to show a child because what if they become inspired? This is why lunacy is such a danger.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 8, 2012

A Beautiful Mind Review

Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenParent15 January 24, 2012

Really good but intense movie

We watched this is health class, it was sooo good. It's really intense and confusing but worth it! There is some language, references to sex, and some violence/intense stuff. I would say high school and up. Or a really mature middle schooler.
Adult Written byMedia Wary Parents April 1, 2011
Stressful mature themes with depictions of mental illness, rude sexual language and marital sensuality. Painful depiction of delusional thought. Beautiful depiction of marital commitment.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa August 23, 2013

A Beautiful Movie

An incredible movie that deserved its four Oscars. Russell Crowe steals the day with his powerful performance as the schizophrenic John Nash, who's genius mind is confused between reality and delusions. The supporting cast of Ed Harris, Paul Bettany, Christopher Plummer and Jennifer Conelly pull together a fantastic film. Based on a true story, parents should know that John Nash is a socially awkward man who is very forward with women and uses crude language and sexual references in several scenes. It is a very intense movie that would probably be difficult for kids under fourteen to understand, as John goes through a great deal of the movie **spoilers** thinking that he is working for the government to break codes, when he is in fact simply exercising his brilliant head for numbers on men who don't really exist. The continual intrusions of his imaginary roommate and his niece, and the man he thinks he is working for into his real life where no one else can see them can be hard to understand. There is an intense sequence of gunfire, and John is constantly thinking he is being chased by nonexistent people, which makes him paranoid. He is laughed at and ridiculed in several scenes, and he goes crazy fighting with his imaginary friends in one scene in particular. His baby almost drowns by his hands, and he goes through a terrible sequence of shock therapy. The true beauty of the movie lies in the marriage between him and his wife, which is slowly but steadily crumbling due to his condition. John is faced with the difficult choice of having to either take medication to stop his hallucinations, but have his mind and senses dulled not only to his work, but also to his wife, or to continue as he was, but have his three "friends" be with him his entire life. His own wife has a nervous breakdown in the bathroom in one scene, unable to cope with her husband anymore, but in the end lets him stay off medication, and together they work for John to ignore, if not overcome, his schizophrenia. John's ache for recognition in a world where he doesn't know reality is heartbreaking at times, and the insight into his "beautiful mind", along with his decision to stay off medication and ignore the only friends he's ever had is moving to tears. His wife's decision to love him and help him overcome his problems will hold a beauty and inspiration to married couples, and the strength of John Nash's mind in his determination to be able to love his family and get a grip on reality even if it means saying goodbye to the only people who have accepted him is inspiring. "A Beautiful Mind" is a movie you should see at least once in your life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhagrid21 December 22, 2011

A Beautiful Flick

This is a great movie. It won Best Picture in 2001. I think that the website pretty much got it right. If you didn't know, the movie is based on John Nash, a brilliant but schitzophrenic man who is trying to overcome his disorder. Some of his delusions can be quite frightening and intense. No f bombs, infrequent cursing. Very inspiring but only for teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleahxo June 29, 2011

Intense Film.

Very well done. It's the type of movie to watch alone though, because of it's deeper thinking process. Not to watch with kids though, they won't understand what's going on.
Teen, 13 years old Written byapocalyptic meatloaf March 25, 2011
I really REALLY loved this movie. I just don't think other kids my age will like it. Though the visuals were great and there was excellent dialogue, I found some parts a bit disturbing. Some kids might not be able to handle it.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written bykvirgin July 12, 2010

thanks for the reviews below: I'll wait til my son is older for him to see this

i saw this movie when it first came out, and own it on DVD and was wondering if it would be OK for my son to see (age 11) The reviews here reminded me of the intensity of the film. Glad i watched it alone.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybubbleboy March 1, 2010

The Most Underrated of Best Pic Winners

This is one of the most affecting, well-crafted, and all-around successful films that I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot of films. Russell Crowe (speaking of underrated...) completely dissolves into Forbes Nash, making us buy every twitch, every utterance, selling every eccentric line without a moment's hesitation. He's brilliant. Ron Howard's direction, disputed by some, enhanced the film immensely in my opinion. He shoots it entirely through the eyes of Forbes; what he sees, we see. It helps delve us into the same world that he's living in. The film also shows us what it's like to harbor a plot twist WITHOUT telling us that in a preview. To be honest, this film contains one of the most unexpected (and completely authentic) twists I have ever seen. Better yet, it's not heavy handed; there's no "trickery", and Howard doesn't spend the film trying to lead us astray. He simply throws it at us, packing a serious punch. (It's also worth noting that I didn't even know this film HAD a twist...It's not one of the incredibly hyped "you'll-never-believe-what-happens" sort of thing). Perhaps this "Twist" was not seen as so by some. The more sophisticated filmgoer may have figured it out immediately, playing the first portion of the film as they should, considering what is fact and what is fiction carefully (as I did upon a second viewing). Okay, enough about the twist: the film is also exciting, fascinating, and heart-wrenching. It's everything you want from a movie. See it, if you haven't. It's absolutely worth it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysdogs24 April 9, 2008
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2013

Great but questionable content

Teen, 13 years old Written byjumbajuice August 7, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!

i'm 13 and I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago, and it is now one of my favorite movies of all times. I think that after gladiator everyone viewed russell crowe as someone who could only play a part like maximus but he completely proved us wrong. jennifer connely also did an amazing job, which i actually had not expected. the movie was very intense and depressing, and there are some sexual references and violence. some people said that it was confusing sometimes, but by the end you pretty much new what was going on. although the movie does not follow the real story perfectly, it was pretty close. this movie was definitely a work of art, and it is a must see
Educator and Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written byMommaOfTwoo March 4, 2013

A Beautiful Mind - A Beautiful Movie

This is a great movie. The marriage portrayed here is very 'real.' Marriage is all about the ups and downs, and sometime there are moments that are so painful you don't think it can survive. It does though, if the couple is determined and strong. However, be warned, there is violence, sex, and other behaviors that children certainly be exposed to.
Adult Written byTV-14-DLSV Teen Boy April 11, 2012

A Beautiful Mind Is Beautiful Just Like It's Title It's The Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful Mind is Perfect. I Owned A Beautiful Mind In A Store Named Half Price Books. I Really Liked A Beautiful Mind It's Sad but Really good. I Give It 5 out of 5 stars and I RATE A Beautiful Mind AGE 14. I Love A Beautiful Mind!
Teen, 16 years old Written bypinkyali August 26, 2011